Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Dudebro posted:

They're not bad, but they don't compare well to subsequent seasons (except 7 which was pretty bad overall, imo). I have some favourite episodes in the first two seasons, but seasons 3-5 really dominate my favourites list.

The first two seasons had their moments, but let's be honest: The show needs a Riker beard and Dr. Crusher, and we only get that combination starting in season 3. The 7th season was maybe one season too long, and they really started going into fantastical and metaphysical stuff, but I'd say it was still better than season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Golbez posted:

The first two seasons had their moments, but let's be honest: The show needs a Riker beard and Dr. Crusher, and we only get that combination starting in season 3. The 7th season was maybe one season too long, and they really started going into fantastical and metaphysical stuff, but I'd say it was still better than season 2.

I couldn't agree more. Riker needs that beard, and Dr. Crusher is one of my favorite characters (although it's hard to decide, they're all likable, except for Troi). It is good to not skip those season if you plan on watching all the rest of them though, because they add a little more backstory. Certain aspects that appear even in the first episode (Encounter at Farpoint) run throughout the series.

I should probably give DS9 another try. I watched a few way back when it was first run, but the cast wasn't as strong as I thought TNG's was, so I dropped it.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Sometimes I see people post lists of posters in a thread, along with the number of times they've posted in that particular thread. I assume there is an automated way to do this, can someone share how?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

The Bramble posted:

Sometimes I see people post lists of posters in a thread, along with the number of times they've posted in that particular thread. I assume there is an automated way to do this, can someone share how?

Click on the number to the right of the thread Author. It's labelled Re: on my panel. I'm presuming for 'Responses' or something. But it's a clickable link that pulls up a list of all the posters and how many reponses each have made.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

when worlds collide posted:

I couldn't agree more. Riker needs that beard, and Dr. Crusher is one of my favorite characters (although it's hard to decide, they're all likable, except for Troi). It is good to not skip those season if you plan on watching all the rest of them though, because they add a little more backstory. Certain aspects that appear even in the first episode (Encounter at Farpoint) run throughout the series.

I should probably give DS9 another try. I watched a few way back when it was first run, but the cast wasn't as strong as I thought TNG's was, so I dropped it.

Oh, absolutely, the first two seasons are still vital to an understanding of the series, if only to have the characters start growing.

DS9 started slow, I think, but once they let Avery Brooks be Avery Brooks (read: bald and beardy and awesome) it really took off.

Funny how so much of Star Trek quality can be traced directly to facial hair.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

MrKonarski posted:

I'd like to know if there's an " Ask me about Spain " Thread already , I do not have the search function and I'd be interested in starting one due to the ongoing financial and moral crisis the old world is going through .

As far as I can tell, there is no spain specific thread anywhere. There is a The Ongoing Economic Disaster Thread, but that may not be where you're going with this.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Farscape is not only the best sci-fi show ever, it is the best show ever.

(All the best characters are muppets)

Thirding this, especially if you're looking for "let's go visit lots of aliens" stuff. I think it fits that bill particularly well: the show only has 1 human character (and he's lost in space with no prior knowledge of aliens), and the other mains are aliens, so even when they're not planet-hopping there is plenty about human-alien interaction. Season 1 is mostly episodic adventures and planet hopping, and then it gets into deeper plot, but every season is still at least 50% episodic planet hopping fun.

Also can't disagree with the star trek love going around.

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

dokmo posted:

As far as I can tell, there is no spain specific thread anywhere. There is a The Ongoing Economic Disaster Thread, but that may not be where you're going with this.

Thank you a lot , I'll make myself ready then :)

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

falcon2424 posted:

In the US if my friends and I were flipping a coin to decide something, we'd almost always use a quarter. What's the default coin in other countries? I'm especially interested what people use when they've got pounds or euros.

We used Reales de Vellón , althought that is discontinued now unless you go to the "Caras" , where people bet constantly on a semi-legal scheme , Before the Euro in Spain we used the 100 Pesetas coin and since the 1 Euro one is almost similar , it is the one used .

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
In what is possibly the best song of all time, Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus, the singer describes someone as "wearing a two way" but he's not quite sure what that means. It transpires that after all this time I too do not quite know what this means. What does, or did, it mean to "wear a two way"?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Crankit posted:

In what is possibly the best song of all time, Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus, the singer describes someone as "wearing a two way" but he's not quite sure what that means. It transpires that after all this time I too do not quite know what this means. What does, or did, it mean to "wear a two way"?

"UrbanDictionary posted:

two-way

A thong that goes up the front. in other words....a wedgie + a camel toe in one pair of underwear.
She wears a two way but im not quite sure what that means.

or...

I dont see why people wear two-ways. I would just free-ball it.

Does that fit? I've never heard the song.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

when worlds collide posted:

Does that fit? I've never heard the song.

Possibly it does, the song never goes into detail as to what the "two way" was nor even how it was worn, I had previously imagine it was perhaps a piercing or radio. He does mention that she's cooler than he is, this underwear you mention does sound like it has less material than expected and could thus leave the wearer cooler.

Thankyou when worlds collide, I think you have solved my mystery.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'd think it's like a two-way jacket, something you can turn inside-out to wear it two ways.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Crankit posted:

I don't see that lyric on the lyrics online I can find, but they likely mean a two-way pager, which was a predecessor to modern texting that you would generally wear on your hip.

Since they have various other outdated "cool" things (IROC) I would assume that's what they're talking about.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 10, 2012

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've heard of a peircing that connects to another piercing with a chain called a two way before.

And the Teenage dirtbag is cool but you're thinking of Girl all the bad guys want by Bowling for Soup.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

I've a question relating to space travel at light speeds and relativity, though it may serve nothing but to reveal my ignorance in the matter.

If you were to travel 20 light years at a fraction under light speed, to you the trip would still take some time-- several days, perhaps, where everybody else would experience 20 years passing.

So, as a result, you'd be able to map the passing of time, relatively; that is, for every minute of your time, 10 hours (or whatever) would pass for everyone else. So you, traveling almost at the speed of light, would be able to know where in time everyone else is.

My question: would the time be mapped linearly? That is, would each minute of your time be the same amount of time (10 hours in this example) for everybody else, or would it ramp up and slow down-- say, start at one minute for you being 5 hours for everyone else, speeding up to 10 hours, slowing down to 5 -- or is this a moot question / making assumptions?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Travakian posted:

I've a question relating to space travel at light speeds and relativity, though it may serve nothing but to reveal my ignorance in the matter.

If you were to travel 20 light years at a fraction under light speed, to you the trip would still take some time-- several days, perhaps, where everybody else would experience 20 years passing.

So, as a result, you'd be able to map the passing of time, relatively; that is, for every minute of your time, 10 hours (or whatever) would pass for everyone else. So you, traveling almost at the speed of light, would be able to know where in time everyone else is.

My question: would the time be mapped linearly? That is, would each minute of your time be the same amount of time (10 hours in this example) for everybody else, or would it ramp up and slow down-- say, start at one minute for you being 5 hours for everyone else, speeding up to 10 hours, slowing down to 5 -- or is this a moot question / making assumptions?

The twin paradox! it's not a paradox anymore :ssh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Travakian posted:

The speed at which time passes is dependent on your relative velocity. It is not a linear relationship but if you maintain a constant relative velocity for a period then the ratio of your time experienced to their time experienced also remains the same during that period.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Wagonburner posted:

And the Teenage dirtbag is cool but you're thinking of Girl all the bad guys want by Bowling for Soup.

I think I'm going to have to take a step back and have a look at my life, look at what I've become, I can't believe I'm the monster that has made this mistake.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
What kind of math do you have to know for high level finance jobs? I'm doing integral calculus right now and it seems like it's going okay. I realize that finance math is its own ballgame, but would the skills I learn in my integral calculus course transfer over to finance? What about multivariable calculus and linear algebra?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I guess I could see how you could mix that up in your mind, both songs about a geeky guy talking about a girl, both state the girls name in the 1st verse "her name is No__". Both girls names start with "No" Nona and Noel.

edit: both added to my playlist along with more BFS for the drive home.

Edit again, editing stuck at a stop light itt. Both our song guys face competition from GM f-body drivers iroc in one and trans am in the other.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 10, 2012

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Is there a thread on the forums about how to save money by cooking good, inexpensive meals for a single person?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Giant Squid posted:

Is there a thread on the forums about how to save money by cooking good, inexpensive meals for a single person?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Travakian posted:

I've a question relating to space travel at light speeds and relativity

Physics thread in Ask/Tell: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3349860

There is another thread in D&D.

The factor by which other frames' clock is slowed is a function of your relative velocity to that frame. So if you are talking about a lot of different things that are in the same frame of reference (not moving fast relative to each other) then they all have their clocks slowed down by the same factor, and wall clock times will scale linearly. Other clocks moving relative to both you and that other frame will slow down by different factors.

And of course if you change speed or direction it gets more complicated.

Edit:

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

What kind of math do you have to know for high level finance jobs? I'm doing integral calculus right now and it seems like it's going okay. I realize that finance math is its own ballgame, but would the skills I learn in my integral calculus course transfer over to finance? What about multivariable calculus and linear algebra?

I'm not a finance guy, but I think linear algebra makes you a better person in any case. :science:

I'd think about a class in probability and statistics, but like I said, not the right kind of expert.

Base Emitter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 10, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Base Emitter posted:

Physics thread in Ask/Tell: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3349860

There is another thread in D&D.
:eng101: In the Science, Academics and Languages subforum of D&D there's a thread which is more geared towards technical questions/homework help than the A/T thread.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Thanks for the all the feedback, guys. Was reading a sci-fi short which sparked the question. All way above my head, but very much satisfied.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Has anyone ever requested their FBI records? What were your wait times?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

How does dimensional lumber and homebuilding work in countries that use the metric system? In the US, we have 2x4's, (which aren't 2 inches by 4 inches but whatever) and plywood sheets come in 4 foot by 8 foot sections (which re exactly 4' x 8')

So, how big is a 2x4 in Germany, or a sheet of plywood?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pagan posted:

How does dimensional lumber and homebuilding work in countries that use the metric system? In the US, we have 2x4's, (which aren't 2 inches by 4 inches but whatever) and plywood sheets come in 4 foot by 8 foot sections (which re exactly 4' x 8')

2 inches is reasonably close to 5 cm (within 2%) so they probably just refer to them as 5x10s or something like that.

not a european, though, that's just me doing basic conversions.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Here in Canada we just call them 2x4s or whatever.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

GreenCard78 posted:

Do you mean the FBI Identification Record? If so, I've requested mine several times for various travel visas. My most recent request last year took the longest, I think it was about 2 months (although that includes international postage).

Pagan posted:

Australia here. I have an older family member (60's) in the building industry and he'll switch between the old imperial inches and current metric in millimeters. For reasons I don't understand, when he uses inches he'll often switch the length and width around (so it's a 4 x 2 instead of a 2 x 4).

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

GreenCard78 posted:

I've actually done this twice recently. In both cases, it took about two months from the time I sent in my prints to receive the results.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Not sure whether to make a thread in Goon Doctor, they don't have a small questions thread and it isn't really a health problem, but: for the last few weeks I've been craving oranges like you would not loving believe. I'm female, definitely not pregnant and diet isn't great but last time I had bloods done (maybe 2 years ago) my vitamin levels etc were fine, diet is essentially the same still. Any ideas?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

absinthefairy posted:

Not sure whether to make a thread in Goon Doctor, they don't have a small questions thread and it isn't really a health problem, but: for the last few weeks I've been craving oranges like you would not loving believe. I'm female, definitely not pregnant and diet isn't great but last time I had bloods done (maybe 2 years ago) my vitamin levels etc were fine, diet is essentially the same still. Any ideas?

Eat an orange.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

tarepanda posted:

Eat an orange.

Lol, thanks :). I've been eating them, I'm getting up to 2 or 3 a day though, it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pagan posted:

Can't speak for Germany, but this is the UK's biggest DIY store: http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Pagan posted:

In Japan dimension lumber has standard metric sizes.

IIRC, it is actual size of the finished product, too.

There aren't cars that carry 4x8 size pieces of plywood in Japan, so home centers don't seem to carry them as much. I just scavenged the discarded framing plywood for concrete forms near my house.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Facebook on my phone's browser (evo 3d) has recently changed to a squished version with no pictures. Even after clearing my cookies and cache it won't change back, and I know that the site hasn't changed. How can I fix it?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Wow it really does take two months? I've always had good luck on waiting times for things like this, passport in the standard method but minimum time possible, never wait at the DMV, poo poo like that. My luck finally runs out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm driving through Chicago tomorrow (Saturday) probably around 2-3pm on I90 & I94 eastbound. How lovely is traffic going to be?