Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
ooooh, Vorwerks are so pretty! I had a Silver Lakenvelder, but she committed suicide by jumping into the yard of a (former) neighbor who owned a pitbull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Glad to hear about the successful hatch Nettle Soup! I'm glad you stepped in since the second round ended up being such a dud :(

It's great to see Georgia B. get a hatchbuddy! You take such good care of your chickens VS and 12S, you set a great example for responsible pet owners everywhere.

On a slightly different note, to all future rooster owners, we salute you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A43JOxLa5MM

Okay, so it's a rooster singing death metal instead of regular metal, but there's a reason I was somewhat relieved when my sister's rooster kicked the bucket.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

On a slightly different note, to all future rooster owners, we salute you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A43JOxLa5MM

LOL. Here's the original video with just the rooster and no music. It's some breed from Turkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEiWoWoM4R0

Some people thought it was faked, but here's another video with a different rooster crowing the same odd way. It's at the 0:20 mark. This weird type of crowing must be unique to this breed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUenvKyards

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Not much to update, but all of my little chicks are almost fully feathered now except for the tops of their heads. They are really sweet now, and when I hold them this is where they like to sit:

Except for when they are being wild, when they like to sit like this:

(this is one of the more 'calm' pictures I could get of her that day)

I planned on taking them out in the yard over the weekend, but we got surprise rain/slush and cold temperatures. So instead they were entertained by half an ear of corn. At first they hid in the corner of the box trying to get away from it, then once they figured out it was food it was a bare cob in less than an hour. No one in town sells chick grit so the only grinding mechanism they have is from the chunks of dirt/sand/rocks I give them from the yard. I worried about their little bulging crops all night :( This morning they were back to normal so I think they'll get the other half tonight. They also started dust bathing a few days ago which is absolutely adorable.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
So a couple of our hens have rediscovered flight.

They were simply escaping the run and trying to get into the main yard because they'd run out of food (I dutifully refilled it after we got them down), but this is the second time recently that they've done this...clever girls.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

CantDecideOnAName posted:

So a couple of our hens have rediscovered flight.

They were simply escaping the run and trying to get into the main yard because they'd run out of food (I dutifully refilled it after we got them down), but this is the second time recently that they've done this...clever girls.

I foresee a wing trimming in their near future.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit
I'm purchasing a new house here soon, and I want to start keeping a few chickens for egg purposes. However, I'm obviously new to this, and while I have grand visions I could also really use the voice of someone who knows whats up. Is there anyone willing to say, exchange PM's or IM info so I can ask you a million small questions? Starting with which breed to get, because I want like..9 different breeds, but plan on at most 3 chickens. Bonus points if you're also familiar with keeping goats

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
I'm always up for talking about chickens, you can IM me at Lewis.K.E@hotmail.com. Or just ask your questions here! What breeds do you like?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

US Foreign Policy posted:

I'm purchasing a new house here soon, and I want to start keeping a few chickens for egg purposes.

Make sure that your deed restrictions/city or county laws allow you to keep chickens. Many places will allow you to have a certain number of hens but not roosters (due to noise issues).

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

US Foreign Policy posted:

I'm purchasing a new house here soon, and I want to start keeping a few chickens for egg purposes. However, I'm obviously new to this, and while I have grand visions I could also really use the voice of someone who knows whats up. Is there anyone willing to say, exchange PM's or IM info so I can ask you a million small questions? Starting with which breed to get, because I want like..9 different breeds, but plan on at most 3 chickens. Bonus points if you're also familiar with keeping goats

A really good resource is backyardchickens.com, with coop designs, breed threads, etc. It might be good for the nitty gritty aspects, as I found it really helpful.

As Inveigle said, check the local ordinances. This will save you untold headaches.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
No doubt. I don't have chickens because our county ordinance is that you have to have 400 feet (over a football field!!) between any chicken coop and "inhabited structure"- including your own house. If they catch you with chickens you have 10 days to get rid of them, after that point the fine is $100 per chicken per day you are in violation. The ordinance was obviously written up with commercial farms in mind, but there's no leeway for the backyard enthusiast who just wants a handful of hens- and plenty of backyard enthusiasts have gotten hit by this, having to get rid of chickens that have been part of their family for months or even years just because some utility guy happened to spot them and rat them out.

Lots of people have chickens here, and most of the time you'd never know it. But there's always that risk that some blabbermouth would turn them in and all would be for naught. So instead of keeping chickens I live vicariously through this thread, and support the local grassroots movement to change the ordinance. But I guarantee you, the day after the ordinance is changed is the day I build my coop.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Remember Short Tail?

Short Tail went off to live with a friend of mine at 6 weeks old (a month ago now). We were still not sure if it was a male or female at that point, but were leaning toward male.

Here is Short Tail today (sorry I wasn't able to get more pics):

He's also at least 2 inches taller than the Easter Egger I gave them, which is impressive considering that all the SLWs were always smaller than all the Easter Eggers and the SLW I kept is still smaller than all of the Easter Eggers.

I think he looks pretty roo-ish. What do you all think? They are currently 10 weeks old.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
Its hard to be totally sure at that age, but he looks pretty drat rooish to me.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The average 14 year old doesn't raise 750 chickens. He is going to own us one day, and he will do it with a (creepy) smile.
I dunno where you grew up, but I had plenty of cash and nearly a big enough barn to have pulled off something like that myself, and my parents would have been ecstatic to help. That's what 4-H is all about - teaching kids to be enterprising with raising and selling animals, and most of my cousins were selling a steer or pig or a few between 12-14, easily. My family definitely had plenty of land except for the barn space, and keeping a couple hundred chickens extra on my own dime wouldn't have put anybody out. Are you aware of the average number of tractors and cars sitting around in fields and yards, in Oregon? Plenty of room to throw a few coops together! ;)

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
Short tail is quite handsome :3:

I have a quick question for some more experienced chicken keepers. My little birds are about 5 weeks old now and almost completely feathered. The two youngest ones still have some little fluffs attached to the tips of their head feathers, but the feathers are fully out and unfurled. There is someone nearby selling a three-month old silver-laced cochin, which is a gorgeous bird, for $10 on craigslist. Could they all get along in the brooder for a few days? I have a wire chick run for them to run around in when it's warm enough out, and we are getting the coop this weekend. The information I'm finding online isn't very helpful for pullets. It says to quarantine adult birds for at least 30 days, but to throw young chicks in all together right away. What is best for teenager pullets?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I'd quarantine the 3 month pullet for a week or two to make sure she isn't sick and won't get your chicks sick. Then if possible, introduce her to your baby flock slowly, by letting your chicks and the pullet see each other through a division so the newcomer doesn't hurt them. Chickens will fight for a bit (or a lot) to reestablish their pecking order, so a 3 month pullet would be much bigger and stronger than your 5 week old chicks. Ideally you'd let then all together if they were about the same size to minimize any chance of injury.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My chickens refuse to eat the organic grain we bought them. It's like they're bored of it. Usually I would let them graze and find grubs, but they destroy too many plants and I have to supervise them while I let them out. So they don't really get out much. Is there another food I should be giving them?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

From what VS and the people in BYC have told me, chickens pretty much eat everything humans can eat (except certain things like avocados and chocolate). You can give them cucumber, watermelon, broccoli, corn in the cob, or other veggies you would normally eat uncooked or steamed. You can also give them cheese as treat :).

BTW, got some pics of Roo's babies! Look at the fluffballs :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Roostroyer had babies?! When did this happen?

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Chido posted:

BTW, got some pics of Roo's babies! Look at the fluffballs :3:

Fuzzy feet? Black hackles and tail? Yep, definitely Roo's kids. Not that there was any doubt.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Roostroyer had babies?! When did this happen?

Roostroyer impregnated one of the stray chicken hos. She disappeared for a few weeks and came back asking for child support.

The arrival of the kids is announced on page 21, and Chido posts an update (with video :3:) on page 23.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

luloo123 posted:

Roostroyer impregnated one of the stray chicken hos. She disappeared for a few weeks and came back asking for child support.

The arrival of the kids is announced on page 21, and Chido posts an update (with video :3:) on page 23.

Yeah, Roostroyer has 7 kids. Chido took in the ho hen and gave the 7 chicks to some friends to raise. Sadly, 3 of the chicks turned out to be baby roosters so the friends are going to trade 2 of the roos in at the feed store.

Thanks for posting the photos and the updates, Chido. :)

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007

Chido posted:

I'd quarantine the 3 month pullet for a week or two to make sure she isn't sick and won't get your chicks sick. Then if possible, introduce her to your baby flock slowly, by letting your chicks and the pullet see each other through a division so the newcomer doesn't hurt them. Chickens will fight for a bit (or a lot) to reestablish their pecking order, so a 3 month pullet would be much bigger and stronger than your 5 week old chicks. Ideally you'd let then all together if they were about the same size to minimize any chance of injury.

Thank you for the advice on this. Only problem is that I didn't see it until too late... I was planning on separating her for a day or two and then introduce them slowly like that. But she is tiny and sweet! Even though she's twice the age of the others, she is about the same size as our light brahma, just a little girthier. It's obvious she was handled a lot as a chick since she sat nicely in my hands & didn't make a peep or flap about on the half hour drive home. I put all five of them in a run outside so they would be on 'neutral ground' when meeting for the first time. They got along just fine. At first the new one chirped a bit and looked around (maybe looking for her old flock?) but then she got down to scratching the dirt like the others. If anything the two youngest ones were the aggressors. They were so excited to be outside in the grass that they flapped all around and chased everyone else :3: They all roosted together last night too so I think they will be ok.

I am still a bit concerned that she might pass something on to my girls since she came from close proximity with an adult flock. My SO says that I worry too much about them and they will be fine. I checked her out pretty thoroughly and she's got clear eyes, no weird marks or wounds, no discharge, and normal looking poop. Plus if she did get sick I don't know what to look for or how to treat it so I'm just hoping for the best. The only problem right now is that I am definitely allergic to them and sneeze like crazy after chicken cuddling time. Good thing they go out in the coop this weekend.

Roostroyer's little illegitimate chicks are adorable. Why are fuzzy feet the best thing ever?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well, it seems that Roo has bumble foot. I noticed a while ago that the skin in the ball of his foot was hard and callus-like, but I thought that it was because he's so big his weight would make his feet get hard like that. Today I checked his toe to make sure the woud from his missing claw wasn't infected, and I noticed that patch of hard skin was black and really hard.

I didn't see any sign of infection, and Roo doesn't limp when he walk. His foot also doesn't look swollen. I did a google search to find out how to treat bumble foot and it seems most people treat that at home. I'm gonna buy the supplies I need to teat his foot tomorrow, I just hope it isn't bumble foot, because I'd like to avoid going to the vet if possible... :psyduck:

And here I was hoping I could buy a new computer this summer :sigh:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's adorable, a pet owner thinking she can buy nice things for herself :3:

(I feel your pain. Goddamn cats always getting sick right when we're about to fix poo poo around the apartment) Hope Roo clears up soon!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I really hope it isn't bumblefoot, since from what I read it can get serious. Roo doesn't have that ugly swollen ball-like abscess that I've seen in the pictures I found in Google, so hopefully it's just something minor. It's gonna be fun to try and hold a 10 pound cock for like 10-15 mins to soak his feet in hot water with epsom salt and scrub his footies clean...

Giving a cock a pedicure... I've truly become a crazy chicken lady :geno:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

It's gonna be fun to try and hold a 10 pound cock for like 10-15 mins to soak his feet in hot water with epsom salt and scrub his footies clean...

Please be careful! Weedcat sent VS to the emergency room last night! :(

These big roosters are so very very strong, especially if they freak out while you're holding them. Perhaps you need to wrap Roostroyer in a towel to keep the wing-flapping to a minimum? Roo seems really good about being handled but you never can tell when a chicken might just flip out during a medical treatment. Do you have someone who can help you?

VS has a severely sprained shoulder and is on pain pills with her arm in a sling (Nadine hates that sling). Weedcat is fine -- he's just a big oaf who just doesn't know his strength!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Inveigle posted:

These big roosters are so very very strong, especially if they freak out while you're holding them. Perhaps you need to wrap Roostroyer in a towel to keep the wing-flapping to a minimum? Roo seems really good about being handled but you never can tell when a chicken might just flip out during a medical treatment. Do you have someone who can help you?

I think a better solution is to put him in more build-a-bear clothes.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

How did Weedcat hurt VS? And yeah I'm aware of how strong Roo can be, I've been wingslapped by him more than once :mad:, I'm gonna wrap him in a towel and cover his head to make sure he stays calm. For some reason my chickens go into a vegetative state when I cover their heads.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

This is why:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

How did Weedcat hurt VS? And yeah I'm aware of how strong Roo can be, I've been wingslapped by him more than once :mad:, I'm gonna wrap him in a towel and cover his head to make sure he stays calm. For some reason my chickens go into a vegetative state when I cover their heads.

VS said that she was holding Weedcat in her arms and trying to do something to his beak (he was shedding outside of his upper beak). She pulled on the peeling part of the beak and it hurt Weedcat and he freaked out. He twisted in her arms and bent her right arm backwards. She tore the tendons in her right shoulder. VS was in a lot of pain so 12_String took her to the emergency room to make sure the arm wasn't broken (it was not) and they put the arm in a sling and gave VS some painkillers.

WEEDCAT!!!! (shakes fist) :mad:

The perils of backyard chicken keeping!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Ok, done with Roo's pedicure. I wrapped him up in a towel and put him inside a container with warm water plus epsom salts, and Roo was seemingly "falling asleep." The poopyhead was going down like a brick, so I had to improvise...

This is post footscrubbing. You can see the scabs in his feet.

I noticed Roo has some small scratches and the skin on one of his toes is peeling. The poop doofus is clumsy as gently caress, because I checked the coop and there's nothing there that could have hurt his feet. The other hens have no issues, so I'm guessing it's his large size what makes him more prone to this kind of wounds.

I also don't think it's bumblefoot, or at least if it is, it isn't too serious right now. There was no swelling around the scabs or any visible swelling on top of his foot.

I don't know if I should just keep rinsing the area, try to remove the scab myself, or take him to the vet, since the scab and his foot don't look nearly as bad as the pictures of bumble foot I've seen. I'm kinda thinking of just letting it be, and keep an eye on it. I don't want to make it worse if it isn't swollen, but I'll soak it every day and try to slowly peel that scab off. Hopefully that will fix it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The huge Roo-monster falling asleep like that is utterly adorable for some reason. :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I know :3: in other news, it seems I only have one broody atm, everybody else is outside the coop on their own :aaaaa:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Happy you have only one broody! If I were having a pedicure I would fall asleep too!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Yeah that's bumbleoot, worse on one foot than the other but I've seen worse. You are going to have to keep it clean (like you have it) and keep him off dirt and off anything that might aggravate it, like a hard roost or wire cage bottom. It takes a while to heal and he'll be more susceptible to it throughout his lifetime so check his feet periodically. It can happen due to an injury or from big fellas like him jumping down off a roost, bacteria gets in and causes it. Big roos seem more susceptible to it.

I'd suggest partitioning off a portion of the enclosure and getting some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet scraps for him to be on that you can swap out and hose off until his feet heal. Soak & scrub his feet every few days and keep the carpet as poop-free as you can. Some people make their roos little booties to wear if keeping him locked up and on a clean surface isn't doable.

If you do booties you can pack the wounds with Neosporin (OTC human triple antibiotic gel) to help speed healing. We once got toddler sneakers for Phoenix and cut holes for his toes and had him wear them. Needless to say, chickens HATE THIS.

And yeah, the score is Weedcat 1, my right shoulder 0. He is fine, though.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Chido posted:

This is adorable. "Oh, it's dark? I better just go to sleep."

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Chido posted:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yikes. The Wrath of Weedcat indeed. Hope your shoulder stops aching soon!

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

If you do booties you can pack the wounds with Neosporin (OTC human triple antibiotic gel) to help speed healing. We once got toddler sneakers for Phoenix and cut holes for his toes and had him wear them. Needless to say, chickens HATE THIS.

Just a suggestion if you go the booties route.

I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere after googling 'toddler stilletoes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I don't have ay crate big enough to keep him isolated during the day :(, and Roo never sleeps on a roost. I'm gonna try the booties, or at least wrap his feet in bandages with gauze covered in neosporin against the ball of his foot. Should I try to remove the scab, or just leave it like that to heal on its own?