Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Spring is here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Spring, but no babies yet.

grouse&dandylions 080 on Flickr

arms_crossed_grouse 082 on Flickr

close_thrasher 086 on Flickr

chugwater_hola 085 on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Gull does not approve of other gull eating chicken by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

American Wigeons by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Lesser Scaup by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Just getting my feet wet with birds. These were all done at a city park where you're now allowed to get in the water and the water is a good 3' lower than the walkways. After seeing how much getting a lower angle improves the shot (you guys are really god drat good) it looks like I'll be taking regular treks up to the mountains so I can be more inventive with shooting angles. Birds are a ton of a fun though even with my limited gear (D3100, 55-200/4-5.6).

Compared to the stuff in this thread these are pretty awful.

I need to post out the crud in the water.

drink by jankyangles, on Flickr

Background is super distracting.

almost there by jankyangles, on Flickr

Damnit. So close on this one.

boys will be boys by jankyangles, on Flickr

:3:

bundle of cute by jankyangles, on Flickr

harsh by jankyangles, on Flickr

Bonus hilarity spray and pray shot. I knew she missed the landing but holy :lol:

hahahaha by jankyangles, on Flickr

Sorry for the wall of mediocre shots but thank you guys/gals for the great advice on getting started. Already digging for couch change so I can get a longer lens.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
a bunch of seagulls around the SF bay area

5D3_6029 by capacity4action, on Flickr

D4+600mmVR by capacity4action, on Flickr

DSC_1253 by capacity4action, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Bonus hilarity spray and pray shot. I knew she missed the landing but holy :lol:

hahahaha by jankyangles, on Flickr

Hahahah this shot rules, well done!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Managed to snag a few hours for myself and hit up the park. It was noon so the light was terrible but such is life.

:saddowns:

awkward moment by jankyangles, on Flickr

Blown out as hell but for some reason I kept it.

take off by jankyangles, on Flickr

A heron of some kind? Seeing an animal this big in Arizona is weird as hell.

heron profile by jankyangles, on Flickr

She's so adorable. :3: Side note: adorable ducks will still bite the poo poo out of you.

time to get out by jankyangles, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 7, 2012

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Managed to snag a few hours for myself and hit up the park. It was noon so the light was terrible but such is life.

:saddowns:

awkward moment by jankyangles, on Flickr

Blown out as hell but for some reason I kept it.

take off by jankyangles, on Flickr

A heron of some kind? Seeing an animal this big in Arizona is weird as hell.

heron profile by jankyangles, on Flickr

The Heron is indeed a Great-Blue Heron. Your first bird really has me puzzled. I'm probably missing something obvious, but a quick troll through Sibley's gives me only a Black-whiskered Vireo as anything close, but you'd be about a thousand miles away from where it's even considered rare if you're in AZ. Any idea what it is?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^I think it's a female grackle of some sort.

edit- a few recent, heavily cropped photos.

Cassin's Finch

sinks_cassins_finch 126 on Flickr

Mountain Chickadee

sinks_mntn_chickadee 124 on Flickr

Wilson's Phalaropes, female on top, male on the bottom

two-wilsons-phalaropes 123 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 8, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Any idea what it is?
I haven't the foggiest. My bird identification skills are very much in their infancy.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

The night herons are nesting again

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
^ Awesome.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

^^^^^I think it's a female grackle of some sort.

Female Great-Tailed Grackle makes sense. I thought I was seeing a lot of green, but I think my color blindness and laptop monitor were conspiring against me. It would also meet the qualifaction as something I really should have been familiar with. Nice photos. I have only fruitless, blurry attempts at both, sadly.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I haven't the foggiest. My bird identification skills are very much in their infancy.

Did it have a big-rear end tail? That would pretty much clinch it. The second picture looks like it at second look, but the compression hides it a bit.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Dread Head posted:

Spring is here:

yay, goslings!

IMG_4706 by Aidan R, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Did it have a big-rear end tail? That would pretty much clinch it. The second picture looks like it at second look, but the compression hides it a bit.
Off the top of my head I can't say I remember. I spent most of the day stalking that poor heron. :v:

Thanks for the tips everyone. :)

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008
Took this one a while ago, in our backyard.

bird-nest by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

still no baby birds up north where I live :(

Picture didn't turn out as great as I would have liked, was a bit taken off-guard and it started to dart off into the trees. Even though I was at a park alongside a major river was a bit shocked to see a pheasant in the middle of the city

Ring-necked Pheasant by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Lesser Scaup Hen by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Love the lighting on both of those. Nice!

no baby birds here either.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went to the lake by my dad's place earlier:

Barn Swallows by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-necked Grebe by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-necked Grebes by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Common Grackle by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Common Grackle by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-winged Blackbird male by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-winged Blackbird female by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

American Coot by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I finally got a chance to head outside yesterday. Got a couple of firsts for me which was nice.

I don't know what kind of hawk this is, anyone know?

Mountain Bluebird:

Robin:

American Kestrel (heavy crop):

This little bastard lead me on a one hour tour and seemed to know exactly how close I wanted to get -- always flying away just before I could get close enough for a decent shot. After an hour I finally managed to approach him, the lighting was perfect, and a drat magpie came and chased him away. This is sadly the best shot I could get. :(

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

InternetJunky posted:

Red-shouldered Hawk?
http://www.surfbirds.com/namericanbirds/hawk-owl.html

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Spent an hour in a whooping crane enclosure. It was pretty cool.

Also a wattled crane

A great grackle photo

And one I juuuuuust missed on

Shooting birds is fun and I love my 70-200. So smooth.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I finally got a chance to head outside yesterday. Got a couple of firsts for me which was nice.

Looks like Swainson's Hawk based on the chest pattern. Pablo Bluth, Red-shouldered Hawks don't come to western Canada.

Also, InternetJunky, apparently there's a Bald Eagle's nest somewhere on the east side of the city in the river valley

fnif
Apr 21, 2007
xDm

This one wasn't feeling too well after meeting our living room window.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I like to shoot birds at 17mm :v:

The problem is that they freak out when a camera goes off a few inches from their face.

also, not a bird:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Looks like Swainson's Hawk based on the chest pattern. Pablo Bluth, Red-shouldered Hawks don't come to western Canada.

Also, InternetJunky, apparently there's a Bald Eagle's nest somewhere on the east side of the city in the river valley
Thanks for the ID and the nest info. I think I've found another baldy nest at Elk Island as well, or at least I've found the general area. Haven't actually seen the nest yet but I've observed a pair of eagles flying into the same area of trees several times now.

Yesterday I had the kayak out for the first time this year. I went out to a lake that has an island loaded with nesting seagulls, so I have about 300 pictures of gulls to sort through. For now, have a couple of shots of this American Avocet that I was very happy to be able to sneak up on in my boat:

There were four of them at the lake, and these are the first I've seen that are semi-close to Edmonton.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Kayaking as a photography platform sounds like something I'd like to try, but southern England really is not the place. So much of our decent water-bird habitat is in nature reserves where you'd be burned as a heretic if you turned up with a boat. In fact we have some of the worse water access rights in the world; it's estimated that less than 2% of our rivers have public access or rights of navigation. The rest is deemed private property and the owner hasn't given permission. From what I can gather, it's the recreational fishing who are most vocal in maintaining the status quo.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

Kayaking as a photography platform sounds like something I'd like to try, but southern England really is not the place. So much of our decent water-bird habitat is in nature reserves where you'd be burned as a heretic if you turned up with a boat.
That really sucks. In Canada there's a lot of places where you can't boat with a gas motor, but kayaks and electric motor boats are welcome everywhere I've been. Wildlife is far less wary about a human in a kayak than they are normally, so it's an awesome platform for photography.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8858404/River-peace-shattered-by-battle-for-right-to-paddle.html

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

dakana posted:

It looks like you're knocking it away from the food stand.

I love it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

azathosk posted:

It looks like you're knocking it away from the food stand.

I love it.

Haha, thanks!

More remote nonsense. He's out of focus, unfortunately, and it's a pretty heavy crop, so it looks like rear end in a top hat. I also am without a high-speed sync flash at the moment, and underestimated the amount of craziness I'd get at 1/200th and fill flash.

My problem is that I want to have a super close shot, but it's so hard to predict where they're going to land, and then when they'll be there. I end up having to sit outside or at the kitchen table with the feeder in my peripheral vision and if I catch fluttering grab the trigger. Without a working laptop, I can't sit there for hours doing nothing; I've got poo poo to do =/ I only got two today in as many hours sitting outside reading for as long as I could stand the heat and sun.

I'd like to rig up a beam motion trigger and let it sit there all day, but the feeder swings back and forth from the wind, so that wouldn't work. The other is shooting interval. I did that for a bit and ended up with this

which just makes me sad for what could have been. The problem with interval shooting is that the click might scare away a bird that is close, ruining the shot before the bird got into position. The other is that I don't want to put thousands of clicks on my camera if it's not for something cool like a time lapse.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Birds!

Wilson's Warbler (He moved around a lot and I kept missing focus, so I was very happy when I finally got a few alright shots.)

A Curve-billed Thrasher came to check me out when I was stalking the warblers

Something was wrong with this Barn Swallow

Full crop Summer Tanager

Black-throated Sparrow (kinda far-off, but I love how striking they are in the desert)

And a grumpy Curve-billed Thrasher

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'm in los angeles, so the selection of birds are slim. The progression in population goes like this:

Pigeons -> Seagulls -> Sparrows -> Finches -> Some wild conures -> Everything else

Found what I think is a Western Tanager and it's mate living in the trees outside my apartment! This is my first time shooting birds, using a crappy 70-300 on a 5D.

Male:

Female:

And some kind of hummingbird, which totally ignores the feeder that I placed ever so lovingly on my balcony.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Just got back from Monteray Bay Aquarium;

Bird Chillen or something by capacity4action, on Flickr

Stink Eye by capacity4action, on Flickr

Sand Stalker by capacity4action, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Duckjob- nice job with those- I've tried to shoot there in that exhibit before and all my birds either had super obvious leg bands or were obviously injured birds.

Super-jealous about the black grouse, fnif! Would love to see those one of these days.

A couple of shots from Montana. Stuck here with a flat until Monday so I can upload a couple of pics.

Junco in Glacier NP

glacier_junco 210 on Flickr

Cinnamon Teals

montana_cinnamon_teal 211 on Flickr

Yellow-headed Blackbird

montana_yhbb_mountainview 212 on Flickr

Also, tons of Great-horned Owls. We've run into 3 nests with big fluffy fledglings within a mile or two of the house we are staying at. Definitely my best pics of these guys. I also got some short-eared owl pics but they are from really far away so maybe I'll post those in the critterquest thread when I make it back.

montana_gho_adult 213 on Flickr

montana_gho_fledgling 214 on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Those are some really awesome owl shots.

afr by jankyangles, on Flickr

douchebag mallard by jankyangles, on Flickr

mom snapshot by jankyangles, on Flickr

mosw by jankyangles, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I love this thread so much :3:

Castel Sant'Angelo by hookshot88, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A few more owls. I found out they were eating local- stealing nestlings from a robin nest right next to the house.

This one flew down towards the nest then saw me.

adult_gho_montana 221 on Flickr

adult_gho_montana 222 on Flickr

owl_eating_robin 220 on Flickr

40-year-old-owl 219 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Lovely owl shots, but poor robin :(

I went out in the kayak again yesterday. Got some firsts for me:

Semipalmated Plover:

Lesser Yellowlegs:

I also chased some horned grebes all over the lake I was on but without any decent shots. Little bastards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A couple from Yellowstone. Not as happy with the Lark Sparrow but it's the best photo I've ever gotten of one.

ynp_bbmagpie 187 on Flickr

ynp_lark_sparrow 202 on Flickr