Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
My theory for how Lord English will be defeated is that the kids will actually change history to prevent his creation in the first place. One of Homestuck's big themes is about maturing and overcoming your shortcomings, and going so far as to defy a fundamental law of both the universe and the comic (the whole predestination thing) seems like it'd be a fitting conclusion- plus it would allow for a great deal of just and heroic sacrifices to keep the tension up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I still think Lord English is going to get stuck on a wall.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

My pet theory has long been they'll somehow trick him into incarnating in Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff's universe (the Hellaverse, if you will), and he'll fall down an endless flight of stairs for the rest of eternity.

:sbahj: "where doing this man. where MAKING THIS HAPEN."
"HOW CAN WHERE BE MAKING THIS HAPEN... WHEN I AM ALREADY WHERE?"

...or something like that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A SBaHJ-ified Lord English would probably be the single most disturbing thing to come out of this comic.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Indie Rocktopus posted:

My pet theory has long been they'll somehow trick him into incarnating in Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff's universe (the Hellaverse, if you will), and he'll fall down an endless flight of stairs for the rest of eternity.

I just... it has to end like this. This is too perfect. Lord English falling down a set of crudely-drawn stairs forever. Please make this hapen, Hussie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Well done, you just ruined Homestuck. Either you've spoiled how the villain is defeated or you've presented a scenario that is better than any conceivable alternative.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Indie Rocktopus posted:

SNOP

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Indie Rocktopus posted:

"I CANT WAIT TO BE A USELESS PIECE OF poo poo ALL DAY AND KILL ALL THESE CHARACTERS"

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Rose Spirit posted:

"I CANT WAIT TO BE A USELESS PIECE OF poo poo ALL DAY AND KILL ALL THESE CHARACTERS"

Hussie is already dead.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I think defeating Lord English will involve collapsing the Green Sun into a tiny lavender singularity. It will be the most striking marvel paradox space has coughed up yet.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

jetz0r posted:

The real question is if treestuck will have poo poo left to flip after half the trolls die during horrorstuck.

She's all getting her Horrorstuck on right now, and she is flipping all the poo poo. All of it.

Treestuck posted:

wow you remember how upset i was when aradia died but she was still a ghost and then vriska died and I was like THANKS FOR PICKING ON MY FAVORITES, HUSSIE?

now I know

he was being nice to them

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 11, 2012

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Ominous Jazz posted:

I think English is as much part of the natural ecology as MissingNo. is to Pokemon. He's natural because every universe has this mistake of coding in it.
Sburb is still in beta/alpha after all.

:stare: That is a STAGGERINGLY apt analogy. I wasn't having a hard time wrapping my head around LE or anything, but that really just sealed my understanding in good and tight. Look at you go.

On a different note, it just occured to me that reading Homestuck is kind of like playing a really, absurdly long Chrono Trigger. You keep thinking you know what's going on and then it's like 'nope part of something so much bigger you look like a chump, chump!' and you love it every time.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cthulhuchan posted:

She's all getting her Horrorstuck on right now, and she is flipping all the poo poo. All of it.

Heh, yeah. But we should cut her some slack. She watched [S] Wake and [S] Kanaya return to the core in one night.

That would gently caress with anyone's head.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm not sure which way of reading Trollpocalypse 2011 is worse:
- getting all the horror in quick succession ("oh gently caress tavros is dead OH gently caress FEFERI AND KANAYA ARE DEAD OH gently caress NEPETA AND EQUIUS ARE DEAD") like archival readers do
- getting the slow drip of horror that serial readers did.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

All at once would be a lot more intense. Out long gave us the chance to rationalize it a lot more, start enjoying it, argue about whether it was good storytelling or not (remember those arguments?) to the point that it actually blunts the impact, and so on. Heck an archival reader is probably still going to be feeling the emotional impacts of Vriska's slow death to god-tier and Aradiabot's explosion, on top of all the real deaths right now.

There were days we floated the idea that Hussie was just going to kill off all the trolls, or maybe just all but Karkat. Once you've explored and gotten used to all of the most grim ideas, getting something less grim isn't nearly as jarring.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Don't forget about emotional burnout, though. After watching so many trolls die, by the time you get to Equius and Nepeta, you'd be too tired to feel anything about it.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Bobulus posted:

Don't forget about emotional burnout, though. After watching so many trolls die, by the time you get to Equius and Nepeta, you'd be too tired to feel anything about it.

I wasn't. Equius's death was drat sad.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah that's probably a fair assessment. While it was all pretty intense as a slow-building dread experience through serial reading, I gotta admit by the time the panels right before the 3x showdown happened I was kinda irritated. oh great here comes gamzee to kill another pair of more interesting characters.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
What really got to me was that Equius was actually happy when he died. Not because he was happy THAT he was dying, he was happy in the way he was going out.

I miss that guy.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Seoinin posted:

I'm not sure which way of reading Trollpocalypse 2011 is worse:
- getting all the horror in quick succession ("oh gently caress tavros is dead OH gently caress FEFERI AND KANAYA ARE DEAD OH gently caress NEPETA AND EQUIUS ARE DEAD") like archival readers do
- getting the slow drip of horror that serial readers did.

I think the slow drip is worse, because reading the entirety of homestuck in a short period of time you don't have like 2 years of being attached to these characters.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

glug posted:

I think the slow drip is worse, because reading the entirety of homestuck in a short period of time you don't have like 2 years of being attached to these characters.

I caught up right when Trollpocalypse started :smith:

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Yeah Man posted:

Hussie is already dead.

I was trying to make it refer to LE, but I guess he hasn't killed anyone... yet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lord of Laughton posted:

What really got to me was that Equius was actually happy when he died. Not because he was happy THAT he was dying, he was happy in the way he was going out.

I miss that guy.

He got the closest thing to a dignified death out of any of them, which was surprising, considering.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

He got the closest thing to a dignified death out of any of them, which was surprising, considering.

Hey, man, I think you're underselling the quiet dignity of bleeding out in an orange sweatsuit while spectral Nic Cage looks on.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I was so sure that the whole quadrants and pails stuff was something imposed on the post-scratch trolls rather than something that evolved naturally, otherwise why do they even have genders? But now here's Aranea talking about flushed attraction, so I guess aliens are just weird!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I had been acting under the assumption that gender dimorphism in trolls had nothing to do with reproduction and was simply a weirdly coincidental case of convergent evolution, like orange creamsicles and Death.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

glug posted:

Yeah, something I think probably gets lost in archival reading is that even though Nepeta and Equius and Gamzee and Feferi are all minor characters, they'd been around and in the fans' consciousness for a long time, ideas and imaginations had taken root around them, and there was a sort of expectation that they'd have more plots and more development and all that. There was a sense between Hivebent and Horrorstuck in the fandom that all the trolls would be important going forward, and that the comic's ensemble cast had just permanently grown (which of course was not really the case).

So to an archival reader Gamzee is just some silly clown troll you met three hours ago and might not really remember and now he's crazy, but for serial readers there were months and months of built up attachments to him and fan involvement with him and his going crazy was a huge OH WHAAAAAT moment because the weight of fandom had transformed a silly side gag character into a character people cared and thought about.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 11, 2012

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Suaimhneas posted:

I was so sure that the whole quadrants and pails stuff was something imposed on the post-scratch trolls rather than something that evolved naturally, otherwise why do they even have genders? But now here's Aranea talking about flushed attraction, so I guess aliens are just weird!

Well, given the whole "mother grub" thing it seems fairly obvious that reproducing that way is just part of their biology. I imagine they have genders because in a lot of ways they're basically humans even when that doesn't quite make sense, in part because that's easier to relate to. Gender probably just isn't that significant in their society though - I'd think more on the level of "height" or "eye colour" than the way we treat it. And of course technically all the humanoid trolls probably just have one 'sex' given how their reproductive system works (material from donors impregnates the mother grub, which would make the species' two sexes "troll" and "mother grub"), so gender is probably even more vestigial than that for them.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just saw a group of girls in grand central dressed as trolls. Is... is my life now complete?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did you ship them together?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SynthOrange posted:

Did you ship them together?

Terezi, kanaya and eridan? YECH NO THANKS

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Funny coincidence, today I saw five girls walking five abreast down a narrow sidewalk-less road that a man got killed on recently while checking his mail. All five of the girls were wearing troll horns. Karkat, Gamzee, And three more but I was driving and trying to focus more on not hitting him and making sure there weren't any cars in left lane that would hit me if I went into it to get around them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had to read that again just to make sure you werent saying that 5 cosplayers killed a man by shoving him out onto a road.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So ManVsHomestuck has gotten caught up with the story. He's also given up on the fake umbrage and pointless character hate (more or less), and when he's not being stupid he actually has some pretty astute observations. Not only does he have pretty good taste in who the best characters are, but he mentions some of the reservations I have in Aranea's description of the A1 Troll society. I always assumed the blood color hierarchy was created by Scratch, because separating everything based on the colors of the rainbow seems like exactly the sort of thing a demented clown would do. "Blue-blood’s-burden" seems like a perfect description of the A1 Troll hierarchy.

Of course my opinion will probably change when Hussie elaborates on the A1 Troll world and it turns out to be hilarious or whatever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know if posting fanart here is cool since the PYF thread seems to have dropped into the archives, but...

Time is the fire in which we burn.

source with larger

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I always assumed the blood color hierarchy was created by Scratch, because separating everything based on the colors of the rainbow seems like exactly the sort of thing a demented clown would do. "Blue-blood’s-burden" seems like a perfect description of the A1 Troll hierarchy.
Well, when the highest blood can live for thousands of years and the lowest only for more like 50 at most (poor Aradia), it makes sense that the higher bloods would take a longer-term view of society.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Doc Scratch

Really? The literally faceless guy? With the worst recorded case of wilting smug-miasma outside of Rand protagonists? um okay.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 12, 2012

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know if posting fanart here is cool since the PYF thread seems to have dropped into the archives, but...

It's right here.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Seoinin posted:

Doc Scratch

Really? The literally faceless guy? With the worst recorded case of wilting smug-miasma outside of Rand protagonists? um okay.

Scratch may be an rear end in a top hat, but he's a magnificent rear end in a top hat.

It may have helped that I read all his dialogue in the voice of Rod Serling. (And honestly there's about half a dozen other characters I'd put ahead of him anyways.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

tinaun posted:

It's right here.

Huh. For some reason I thought it faded out.