Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Another Total Drama show coming up on Cartoon Network :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Y-Hat posted:

Another Total Drama show coming up on Cartoon Network :waycool:

I know everyone else hates them, but I don't.

When?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't hate Total Drama [insert whatever here], I just find it aggressively bland. It's the vanilla ice cream of animated comedy. Not bad, but for the life of me I don't know why people like it when there's so much better stuff out there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Between that and Johnny Test I'm convinced that Canada simply doesn't have anything better.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Oh common, we gave you Clone High and Undergrads, and... uh, Redwall? Like 10 years ago...

And oh yeah, that one show that gets a bad rap was also animated up here.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Oh common, we gave you Clone High and Undergrads, and... uh, Redwall? Like 10 years ago...

Every Transformers series after G2 except RID, Animated and Prime are, one way or another, Canadian.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
What Canada may or may not have been responsible for is irrelevant. Our great shame is the second Iraq war. Your great shame is Johnny Test. Deal.

(This says more about Canada than it does about Johnny Test but it still says a lot about Johnny Test.)

EDIT: Man, I intended this to be funny but even with the qualifier it just comes off as terribly, needlessly hyperbolic. I'm leaving it up for anyone who might get a laugh but if you think I'm being an idiot you're probably right.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 11, 2012

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

On the subject of Beyblade, I think back in the day it was a legit good show. It was really just a Sports anime with fantastic elements to it to spice up the tops.

It actually reminded me a lot of Prince of Tennis, except the stuff like TENNIS BALLS KILL THE DINOSAURS was actually happening instead of being metaphorical. It also had a slow ramp up were it started off just with kids playing for street cred and ended up with epic battles against Russian brainwashed child soldiers wielding genetic monster experiments and getting horrible wounds from their top fighting. The curve that got them from point A to point Z was remarkably smooth, so that you didn't even notice how crazy it was getting over the course of the run.

Also, those Beyblade arenas at the tournaments were cool as hell. Top battles in miniature Manhattan WOO!

Then came the first sequel series and things stated to go downhill even though it was still tolerable. And now... I watched three episodes of the current series and I couldn't stand it. It's not a sports anime anymore, its Dragonball Z with tops.

A monster tamer/toy battle anime has to be grounded in reality (even if only at a fringe level, like YuGiOh 5D's), and it can't talk down to its audience, or it ends up being awful. Bakugan and YuGiOh Zexal are both perfect examples of how NOT to make a toy battle anime. Compare the current series of Pokemon, which is the best the shows been in a long time.

... I'm sorry, that got kind of overblown.:ohdear:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah, that seems fine to me. Good to hear, really, since I'm still thinking of watching it because :spergin: and, if it's actually good (or at least not terrible) then the experience won't be so bad.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I watched three episodes of the current series and I couldn't stand it. It's not a sports anime anymore, its Dragonball Z with tops.

Which is funny because it was the first generation (for want of a better word) that had all the nonsense with bit beasts and all.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Canada also gave us Eek! The Cat and Rupert Bear.

It's not a TV show, but Canada also did Rock n' Rule.

To my mind, Canada's sin was not in creating Johnny Test, but rather, in repeatedly failing to kill Johnny Test.

Johnny Test is that massive platter of lutefisk Canada always brings to the Christmas party, whose smell everyone always complains about, and which always just ends up being dumped, uneaten, in the curbside rubbish bin, year after year after year.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
It's taken a decade but, season 1 of power rangers is coming to dvd.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone watch Three Delivery? I saw a few episodes on Nicktoons and the thing that struck me was just how rough the animation looked. It's flash animated, but nothing seemed smooth or flowed with each other. The backgrounds were rotoscoped and looked decent but when the characters moved on the backgrounds their unrefined lines really stuck out and looked like it was unfinished. The coloring and shading also was very flat and really didn't use gradiants for the shadows so it had a really blocky contrast look.

It seems like it's a poor man's jackie-chan adventures. Granted the entire concept is 3 kids who work at a chinese retaurant defend the place from an evil wizard ninja who cooks magical evil food and steals magical recipes from a magic cookbook. But even the characters are written really really one dimensional.

I'm not sure if it's on the grade of Johnny test, but I would be curious how much an episode of Johnny Test takes to make compared to this show.

Also speaking of stuff coming to DVD/Blu-Ray is Nick ever goign to re-release Invader Zim? I know you have that Quasi-official Amazon.com version, but that doesn't come with extras.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 11, 2012

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Wasn't it done by same team who did Kappa Mikey?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Three Delivery was done by the infamous FatKat Studios out of Miramichi, NB, Canada. I went to animation college in the same town while they were still in operation. The owner came to give a lecture and showed us the pilot of Three Delivery, which he claimed "nearly killed the studio to produce". It was the most awkward 22 minutes of my life. He had a very small talent pool who were stretched far beyond their abilities.

If you want to read more about his disastrous studio there's several articles on Cartoon Brew.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I caught an episode of Gumball on a flight I was on. The show seems pretty legit and I will have to watch more.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I have to say, I was actually pretty surprised to learn that Disney's new cartoon Gravity Falls wasn't made by the same people that made regular show. The resemblance in the character's faces is uncanny.

I'll probably catch it anyway. It looks like the kind of show I'd create if I had the talent for it.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
I've never seen Three Delivery, but Vaerai's comparison to Jackie Chan Adventures reminded me that I'd just marathoned that whole show on Netflix. When it was running, I used to watch it with my younger siblings who loved it. Watching it now, I still think it holds up pretty well. It does tend to get pretty formulaic but sometimes it does fun things to mess with the formula and it never actually got boring for me. I thought it was a legitimately funny show and it has some pretty good running jokes.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roland Jones posted:

Edit again: Aaaand now that I've posted this and decided to take a closer look at both shows I'm now tempted to actually watch them, even though I don't remember much about the Medabots show and have every reason to suspect that the Beyblade one is just a cash-in. Great. Well, if I do watch them I will post my experiences here.

Okay, watching the first episode of the "Metal Masters" Beyblade show and I have to say... Man, this is some of the worst voice acting I've heard in a long time. Crud, if I don't stop watching it I think I'll track down some subbed episodes instead because really, these voice actors are so bad. So, so bad. Just, augh.

Other than that... Let's see. The fights between the tops are kind of strange; it's implied that there's a lot of skill to it, but unless there's some mental link going on they have to be acting independent of their users, and there isn't much skill in autonomous drones do things. Maybe it'll be cleared up later? I dunno. They're definitely being controlled by something. Also, these are very dramatic top battles. I'm not kidding when I say that at least some seem to be literally capable of flight, which kind of seems out of place for a top, but, whatever.

First impressions, it's really generic, but if I can find a version that doesn't have horrible voice acting, it might be worth watching. May get better after the first episode. (Although, apparently this is actually the second season, or maybe fifth depending on how you count things. I dunno.) I'll give it another chance, but if it doesn't get better I think I'll go find something else to watch. This isn't quite the best start, to say the least.

Edit: And now there's a talking dog and some serious child endangerment going on. I just don't know what to make of this.

Edit again: Good grief one of these tops just destroyed a giant rock pillar. Do they seriously let kids run around with these? Even taking into account that this is a "special" one, some "normal" ones gouged into stone and such before. I wonder how many kids have killed each other playing with these toys of their in this universe; the papers must have articles like "Yet Another Kid Decapitated By Toy" every week.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 18, 2012

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, watching the first episode of the "Metal Masters" Beyblade...

I'm so very, VERY sorry.

If you're watching any Beyblade anime with a subtitle, I'm sorry, but I'm PARTICULARLY sorry about that one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It amazes me that the series that has the freaking mythological monsters in the bit part of the spinning top actually makes MORE sense than the recent ones :psyduck:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I looked around a bit, watched a couple episodes here and there (couldn't find any subbed versions, but I watched a few Japanese ones anyway, and despite not being able to understand most of it it was still far more pleasant than watching the English dubs; this isn't a "dubs suck original is superior glorious nippon forever" stuff, the English dub is truly atrocious). This show is... Bad. That's not a surprise.

What is a surprise is that I can see a few good ideas and good moments in it, which makes the badness that much worse because, despite the ridiculous premise of the show, they actually could have had something decent here. Some of the characters are interesting. People sometimes just directly applying the titular Beyblades to a situation makes sense; as I've said before, these things smash through stone and dent metal in their battles, so, when someone comes to a locked door or something and just launches their top right through it instead of wasting time is both kind of amusing and makes sense. Likewise, with this stuff, things being sorted out through the duels all the time makes more sense than in something like Yu-Gi-Oh; if people just shot their top at the other person instead of stopping the enemy one, they'd get gibbed (and in fact more than once someone just launches the top at an unprepared person and either just misses them or actually injured them). A few concepts are portrayed well, too, like the childhood friend of the secondary protagonist, after going through the bad guy's "make you stronger and more aggressive" thing, doesn't just become evil; all the frustration and (actually justifiable) anger he has towards this guy is amplified, and in addition to him becoming a powerful enemy there's some backstory, exposition, and character development worked in. This was an effective way to execute this, instead of "now he's evil" like most shows would do.

Unfortunately, for every rare good bit, there are several bad ones, and they're usually a lot bigger. For example, while the secondary main character (who is introduced only for this season and basically becomes a side character in the next one) is a pretty standard hot-blooded teen protagonist, he has some underlying motivations and depth to him that are eventually revealed, so he's not completely intolerable. The main character, though, who is in every season and thus not someone we will every be rid of, is just a standard hot-blooded teen protagonist with no motivations beyond "be the best and fight a lot", and that never changes. And he's just always there, because he is the main character. He's boring and shallow and he is the focus point of the entire series.

Even worse, though, is the semi-villain character, Ryuga. I looked up a synopsis of the first season, and he's basically the main villain there, never losing a single battle (until the end) and generally being a complete dick, making him a standard overpowered jerk villain, before being beaten at the end and no longer being possessed or whatever. Except... Now, in the second season, he's still around, and still overpowered, only now he just shows up whenever and dominates the scene. Heck, during the (almost) final battle (which isn't too terrible actually, as unlike Ryuga the guy they're fighting here has some backstory and hasn't been around acting like an overpowered rear end in a top hat the whole season, yet is still demonstrably stronger than both of his opponents), both main characters are basically doomed, and you wonder how they're going to get out. Will they figure out a way to break through his power? Will they actually lose? Will they use The Power of Friendship™? Nope. We get a cut to Ryuga, who launches his stupid overpowered (and totally unique and special) Beyblade, in the form of a giant burning dragon, through the building they're in, messing up the main villain's machine, breaking the power of the person the two mains are dueling, and injuring the former in the process, resulting the those two being able to actually beat him. They don't win because they were awesome, or because they managed to make their opponent realize that he shouldn't be working for the big bad evil guy. They win because they were luckily not dead before Ryuga decided he didn't have enough screentime and hosed things up. And then, after that match is over and they have to stop the doomsday device, it is again Ryuga suddenly showing up on the scene and stopping things so the heroes can win. This guy is an overpowered Mary Sue and despite my having seen fewer scenes with him than I have fingers he is by far my least favorite character in this series, and that includes the one side character that mainly exists to be "funny" and is actually constantly annoying. He is the worst. And he's in the third season, too.

So, yeah. That's this show. A few good ideas and moments and what definitely isn't the worst way to approach a fighting tops show (again, them actually using them outside of the battles and having a reason to resolve things through said battles is far better than what most of these shows have), it's all mired under many more bad ideas, two of the worst main characters, and mainly being there to sell merchandise. Normally I wouldn't be disappointed but I honestly think that this show could have been good. I mean, the original Beyblade anime was allegedly good; why couldn't this one have been? I almost wish that it had been just all bad, because the wasted potential is worse than the low quality itself.

Summing up the :words:: It sucks, but it really, really didn't have to suck, which sucks even more.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 19, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Somewhat related, Tiny Toons: How I Spent My Summer Vacation is also coming to DVD finally: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tiny-Toon-Adventures-How-I-Spent-My-Vacation/16960

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Can someone explain to me what the hell is going on in Young Justice? There was a 5 year time skip because...? Why does speedy think he is a clone? Why does superboy have a flying tricycle? It's mostly the time skip one I don't get.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Neo Helbeast posted:

Can someone explain to me what the hell is going on in Young Justice? There was a 5 year time skip because...? Why does speedy think he is a clone? Why does superboy have a flying tricycle? It's mostly the time skip one I don't get.
The current Speedy was a clone created by the Light to infiltrate the Justice League, with the real Speedy stuck in a Cadmus stasis chamber. The flying tricycle is just the sphere from "Bereft." The time skip is just there to create a whole bunch of unanswered questions for Season 2.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I still don't understand why they bring the dog along on missions.

I guess it may be a wolf? It just sort of popped up in one episode, and now they're still acting like it can contend with all these superpowered people and giant monsters.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's a giant magical alien wolf who does seem strong enough to hang with the crew. I mean on a team with regular humans that shouldn't even be a concern.

Also if Superboy leaves him at home he will tear the couch apart and pee on the rug.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They had an entire episode each about the origins of the New Genisphere AND Wolf, cripes. Try paying attention next time?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

McSpanky posted:

They had an entire episode each about the origins of the New Genisphere AND Wolf, cripes. Try paying attention next time?
To be fair, those were years ago at this point. Weird schedule.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

To be fair, those were years ago at this point. Weird schedule.

poo poo, you're right. I just caught up on the show a few weeks ago, forgot how absurd cartoon production schedules are these days.

In that case, a recap: the Sphere first showed in "Bereft" as a piece of technology the Light had receiving via boom tube, with the obvious implications. The League let YJ keep it, since it seemed to have some kind of AI and was attached to Superboy in particular. Later in the season, a group of young New Gods from New Genesis came to Earth looking for the "New Genisphere", at which point Superboy discovered that not only is the Sphere intelligent but can transform into a big armed flying tricycle (nicknamed the Super-Cycle), as well as a "pillbug" form that can attach to big machines/robots and take control of them like an anime mecha cockpit. After the classic when-superheroes-meet misunderstanding, they came to terms and let Superboy keep the Sphere, since it clearly liked hanging around with him.

In a different case, the team was sent to India to investigate reports of rampaging wildlife attacking people. They discovered that a villain named the Brain was mutating various jungle animals with Kobra Venom to turn them into enormous super-strong beasts and mind controlling them with collars as some sort of experiment, one of them being a huge white wolf that Superboy eventually frees from his control collar. It took a liking to Superboy after the rescue, treated him as the new alpha male and stuck around, helping him in the final battle and generally acting like a faithful pet afterward.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

McSpanky posted:

In a different case, the team was sent to India to investigate reports of rampaging wildlife attacking people. They discovered that a villain named the Brain was mutating various jungle animals with Kobra Venom to turn them into enormous super-strong beasts and mind controlling them with collars as some sort of experiment, one of them being a huge white wolf that Superboy eventually frees from his control collar. It took a liking to Superboy after the rescue, treated him as the new alpha male and stuck around, helping him in the final battle and generally acting like a faithful pet afterward.

The dog is supposed to be Krypto right?

Better backstory than just being a SPACE DOG!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

The dog is supposed to be Krypto right?

Better backstory than just being a SPACE DOG!

Yeah, I think Wally said he should be named Krypto and got shot down.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I really have nothing to contribute but I want to thank whoever set the title to this thread. Saw it while flipping back some pages and it reminded me of my teenage years and that show was the best.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
http://oujastrikeblogs.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/press-release-power-rangers-40-dvd-boxset-announced/

The Power Rangers: Seasons One -Seven40-DVD collection will include: All 145 original episodes fromMighty Morphin Power Rangers: Seasons One, Two and Three, plus the ten-episode seriesMighty Morphin Power Rangers: Alien Rangers. It then continues on withPower Rangers: Seasons Four – Seven, featuring all of the original 183 episodes spanning the seasons entitledPower Rangers Zeo, Power Rangers Turbo, Power Rangers In SpaceandPower Rangers Lost Galaxy. In-depth bonus content includes: a retrospective featurette on theMighty Morphin Power Rangersphenomenon, brand-new interviews with members of the cast and the creative team, and much more!

As excitement builds for these anticipated home entertainment releases, Shout! Factory, Saban Brands, and Time Life will announce additional news and activities for fans in the upcoming months. Meanwhile, fans will have the opportunity to learn more about upcoming collections by following us onFacebookand Twitter (@shoutfactory). Join the excitement and relive the action on DVDs!

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
MOTORCITY's animation is absolutely stunning, moreso that it was animated entirely in the States. No outsourcing. It's probably the best blend of CG and hand-drawn I've seen in ages.

The plot and characters though are godawful. I could barely make it though the 1st ep because of the sidekick's constant wailing in terror. I chalked it up to a pilot mistake. Nope, 30 seconds into #2 and he's still screaming.
Do they think the action is SO AWESOME that the audience needs a surrogate character who would be as terrified as they would be? I dunno.

I just want Tron Uprising to start up again, dammit.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Yeah, as boring as the plots are it just reminds me of Jamie Hewlett and whatnot every time I look at it. And hey, more Mark Hamill is never a bad thing.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Neo Helbeast posted:

http://oujastrikeblogs.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/press-release-power-rangers-40-dvd-boxset-announced/

The Power Rangers: Seasons One -Seven40-DVD collection will include: All 145 original episodes fromMighty Morphin Power Rangers: Seasons One, Two and Three, plus the ten-episode seriesMighty Morphin Power Rangers: Alien Rangers. It then continues on withPower Rangers: Seasons Four – Seven, featuring all of the original 183 episodes spanning the seasons entitledPower Rangers Zeo, Power Rangers Turbo, Power Rangers In SpaceandPower Rangers Lost Galaxy.

As dumbly excited as I am about this, I find it odd that the set includes Lost Galaxy, since that was the first in the "stand alone," Rangers shows, where as everything from Mighty Morphin' to In Space is a single story/narrative.

Also, this better sell well enough for me to get a Time Force DVD someday...

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Hatter106 posted:

MOTORCITY's animation is absolutely stunning, moreso that it was animated entirely in the States. No outsourcing. It's probably the best blend of CG and hand-drawn I've seen in ages.

The plot and characters though are godawful. I could barely make it though the 1st ep because of the sidekick's constant wailing in terror. I chalked it up to a pilot mistake. Nope, 30 seconds into #2 and he's still screaming.
Do they think the action is SO AWESOME that the audience needs a surrogate character who would be as terrified as they would be? I dunno.

I just want Tron Uprising to start up again, dammit.

Some mid-season episodes have portions of the animation done in Canada.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Watching Green Lantern its pretty awesome seeing Kilowog preparing to face down a Red Lantern Armada by himself.
Edit: Holy poo poo this series is epic

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Watching Green Lantern its pretty awesome seeing Kilowog preparing to face down a Red Lantern Armada by himself.
Edit: Holy poo poo this series is epic

Really? Well drat, might have to give GL a second chance. I watched the first couple episodes and they didn't impress me at all. Has the animation quality increased? I recall a near unanimous cry of "This looks like poo poo" after episode 1.

Oh, and in other kids' show related chat, I woke up before 8 for the first time in I can't remember, and saw loving Cubix on TV. Cubix. And a "coming up next" thing for reruns of Sonic X. Does the CW air anything new that's not DBZ Kai and the new Yu-Gi-Oh? Because the last few weekends I've skipped by and seen reruns of like, every show I watched 10 years ago.