Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love the tension between IRQ and Azure_Horizon (not to be confused with Azur Ahai) in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

All I will read from now on is Ulysses because some taint on the internet told me fun books aren't worth reading.

I read Piers Anthony, and thoroughly enjoy Xanth.

Oh hey, while we're not on the subject of young vampires, I watched "Let the right one in" this morning. AWESOME movie.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 11, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dead Man Posting posted:

I love the tension between IRQ and Azure_Horizon (not to be confused with Azur Ahai) in this thread.

I am the Queer That Was Promised.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Ponce. Ponce That Was Promised.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

run DNC posted:

Ponce. Ponce That Was Promised.

That's quite the jape.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
My name is jape it rhymes with nuncle. Words are whores goes thrum. Where do crossbows go?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Contra Calculus posted:

My name is jape it rhymes with nuncle. Words are whores goes thrum. Where do crossbows go?

Neeps on a breastplate.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Neeps on a breastplate.

Must needs to be leal, much and more.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Azure_Horizon posted:

Must needs to be leal, much and more.

The more she ate the more she poo poo. Her myrish swamp and grease ran down her honey covered fat pink mast.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The more she ate the more she poo poo. Her myrish swamp and grease ran down her honey covered fat pink mast.

I really, really didn't need the imagery of Daenerys with a fat pink mast. What is she, making GBS threads dick nipples?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I really, really didn't need the imagery of Daenerys with a fat pink mast. What is she, making GBS threads dick nipples?

Well to be fair, after so long in the desert her fat mast is more Snakebite Leather than pink.

Also my imaginary four year old's favorite part of Gravity's Rainbow is the british candy scene, he also enjoys, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Brian Jacques, Marquez, and Bret Easton Ellis

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Fog Tripper posted:

Oh hey, while we're not on the subject of young vampires, I watched "Let the right one in" this morning. AWESOME movie.
Vampire girl is a younger Varys. There, ruined for you.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Also my imaginary four year old's favorite part of Gravity's Rainbow is the british candy scene,

I think I would have liked the part where the giant adenoid terrorizes London. Reading the Hansel and Gretel poo poo and the end to a four y/o would be bordering on abuse, though.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Daario introduced her to steroids.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

savinhill posted:

Daario introduced her to steroids.

When she conquers the seven kingdoms (lol) there is going to be a big asterisk next her name in the history books.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
There has to be an explanation for this, but, if Varys' motivations all trace back to being pro-Targaryen then why didn't he object to sending assassins after Dany in Book 1? Also, is Littlefinger aware of events in Essos and Slaver's Bay, and how do they fit with his all knowing scheming? It's been a while since I read the books.

Edit: at the end of ADWD were events moving towards a Bolton-Lannister war, or am I misremembering? Furthermore, why does Stannis care about liberating the north and where does he stand in general?

cargo cult fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 11, 2012

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

cargo cult posted:

There has to be an explanation for this, but, if Varys' motivations all trace back to being pro-Targaryen then why didn't he object to sending assassins after Dany in Book 1? Also, is Littlefinger aware of events in Essos and Slaver's Bay, and how do they fit with his all knowing scheming? It's been a while since I read the books.

Edit: at the end of ADWD were events moving towards a Bolton-Lannister war, or am I misremembering? Furthermore, why does Stannis care about liberating the north and where does he stand in general?

Varys put all his chips on Viserys (with a secret marker on Aegon), he probably figured if Dany was assassinated, Drogo would want revenge, give Viserys his dothraki army and make the big move on westeros. Bolton's house is allied with the Lannisters since Roose took care of Robb and they made Ramsay (now a legit Bolton having been legitimized by the iron throne) the warden of the north.

Stannis doesn't want to liberate the north so much as he realizes the true king's duty is protector of the realm and since major poo poo is happening at the wall, he needs to be there, but since the Lannister-backed Bolton's are making moves against the Night's Watch (by majorly trolling the gently caress out of Lord Commander Snow), he's marching on Winterfell to wreck their poo poo and reinstate the Starks (or at least a Barratheon-friendly northern family) as the warden of the north.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

El Hefe posted:

Already read all of those.

I have been waiting months to link it in the thread: http://www.ansible.co.uk/misc/eyeargon.pdf

The greatest novel ever written.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

I have been waiting months to link it in the thread: http://www.ansible.co.uk/misc/eyeargon.pdf

The greatest novel ever written.

WWW you sure do know a lot of truly horrible books off hand.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
So the last thing I remember was Gurm put up a chapter from Winds of Winter on his terrible website.

Anything happen since?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

IRQ posted:

WWW you sure do know a lot of truly horrible books off hand.

The Eye of Argon is not exactly obscure; conventions have traditionally had contests where the object is to read as much as possible of the text aloud without laughing.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Groke posted:

The Eye of Argon is not exactly obscure; conventions have traditionally had contests where the object is to read as much as possible of the text aloud without laughing.
While inhaling helium.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Azure_Horizon posted:

I really, really didn't need the imagery of Daenerys with a fat pink mast

Need it? No. Want it? Yesssssssssss

Time to wake the dragon!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Niccy Bones posted:

So the last thing I remember was Gurm put up a chapter from Winds of Winter on his terrible website.

Anything happen since?

I think he came back from book signings in Europe and got all excited about the NFL draft. No mention of writing a new chapter, though, or even a page.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Technically, he still hasn't finished what he intended AFFC to be.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

Technically, he still hasn't finished what he intended AFFC to be.

Awesome! That means that he should have a ton of chapters already left over and it shouldn't take as long! Right..?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy A. Person posted:

Awesome! That means that he should have a ton of chapters already left over and it shouldn't take as long! Right..?

Yeah don't worry WoW is already half done and should be out next year! - 2005

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In some bizarro universe A Dream of Spring has already come out and it was really good and there are good posts in TVIV.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

In some bizarro universe A Dream of Spring has already come out and it was really good and there are good posts in TVIV.

I've read convincing theories that GRRM's density is so high that it warps space/time around him and he exists in all possible universes at the same time. Therefore, the speed of ASoIaF's releases are consistent across the entire multiverse.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ouch. Anybody volunteers for trekking across multiple universes to piece together what Gurm originally intended for the series after ASOS? That way we might actually get a new book a few decades earlier.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Only way to trek so would be using the Gurmian gravity well.

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)

thornghost posted:

I've read convincing theories that GRRM's density is so high that it warps space/time around him and he exists in all possible universes at the same time. Therefore, the speed of ASoIaF's releases are consistent across the entire multiverse.

Think of spacetime as a stretched fabric. A GRRM placed upon that fabric will sink down into the fabric due to its great mass, and any lemoncakes placed near it will roll down the slope it creates, inevitably spiralling into the GRRM. Eventually the GRRM becomes so massive that not even text can escape its pull.

Myrish swamps are neutron stars or something.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sentientcarbon posted:

Think of spacetime as a stretched fabric. A GRRM placed upon that fabric will sink down into the fabric due to its great mass, and any lemoncakes placed near it will roll down the slope it creates, inevitably spiralling into the GRRM. Eventually the GRRM becomes so massive that not even text can escape its pull.

Myrish swamps are neutron stars or something.

Quoting this because Einstein loving owned and managed to make a very easily-understandable metaphor which is still used in textbooks today.

Seriously, go Einstein.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
He did the Wild Card run in 12 parsecs!

GURMO's Word Processor Cursor paradox:

If a book is being written, then at any given frozen point in time the book will be in a non-transitive state of "not being written", and the whole of time it takes to write the book is only a sum of these moments in time of the book not being written. And therefore while time continues to pass, the book continues not to be written.

EDIT:

Spoilerdinger's Zombie Cat:

Upon finding out someone is watching Game of Thrones or has a GURM book in hand, blurting the red wedding will cause them to exist in a super position of both a spoiled and non-spoiled state. The waveform collapses when they respond by "Yeah I know that, I'm re-reading the books" versus "WHAT!@? :psypop: NO NO NO NO gently caress WHY :qq:"

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 12, 2012

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
I had a dream that Winds of Winter came out and I started reading it and something happened with Stannis but I can't remember what.

I think I have the gurmsight, I must travel north and turn into a fat pink mast.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

The Slippery Nipple posted:

I had a dream that Winds of Winter came out and I started reading it and something happened with Stannis but I can't remember what.

I think I have the gurmsight, I must travel north and turn into a fat pink mast.

I too had a ASOIAF dream, which eventually turned into a sex dream about my acting teacher. But the asoiaf part was like a family comedy film with Ned and Robert Baratheon in a sort of Daddy Day Care situation, trying to make ends meet by caring for a rowdy bunch of suburban Connecticut toddlers, in spite of problems at home w/ their own family lives. Heart-warming and non-stop laughs for whole family I give 10/10 would dream again. Acting teacher dream I give 8/10 for Myrish swamp but unnecessary reinforcement of my feelings for married faculty.

Anyway the point is, hop on my back, old grandfather, we're heading north to meet the three-nippled breastplate.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 12, 2012

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I spent a half hour on Thursday sperging about the GoT books to a friend who had only read half of the first book and gave up. It was when her eyes started to glaze that I realized I know far, far too much about this poo poo-stained series.

I have felt the shameful glee of spoiling...and it was not enough to satisfy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

empty sea posted:

I spent a half hour on Thursday sperging about the GoT books to a friend who had only read half of the first book and gave up. It was when her eyes started to glaze that I realized I know far, far too much about this poo poo-stained series.

I have felt the shameful glee of spoiling...and it was not enough to satisfy.

True story: I'm at a friend's house right now and we just tried to convince his new GF to, at the very least, watch the show.

End of episode 1, her: "this is stupid."

I don't know whether to nerd out, or accept that she's 110% right.

So I'm smoking a cig on the deck typing to you guys because I may have just realized I wasted a lot of time on books about making GBS threads and relative-loving.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Well duh, the first, iunno, five episodes are dull as GRRM's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I think IRQ wrote this song about ASOIAF.