Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

Oh my God. C:FW is back. Holy gently caress :aaaaa: Definitely putting 15 bucks into this. C:FW was the best RTS that nobody ever loving heard of. I doubt it will succeed at that goal, though.

I played C:FW, and while I liked a lot of the ideas it had, after playing Homeworld and Total Annihilation it didn't really do it for me.

And then I got to the mission where you have to keep a specific unit alive and you auto-fail the mission if he dies (and he will die because he has no survival instincts) and then when you finish the mission it kills him in a cutscene anyways.

And then I never played it again. :smith:

Maybe I should dust it off and give it another go sometime, if it runs on win7. I certainly wouldn't mind a sequel using some of the same concepts.

E: just remembered that Haegemonia actually did some of the same things with individual missions spanning multiple interconnected maps and whatnot, although it had more of a 4X element to it. I've often wondered if the Haegemonia devs were inspired by C:FW.

quote:

Pathfinder MMO

Jesus, that would be a nightmare to balance.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

I played C:FW, and while I liked a lot of the ideas it had, after playing Homeworld and Total Annihilation it didn't really do it for me.

And then I got to the mission where you have to keep a specific unit alive and you auto-fail the mission if he dies (and he will die because he has no survival instincts) and then when you finish the mission it kills him in a cutscene anyways.

And then I never played it again. :smith:

Maybe I should dust it off and give it another go sometime, if it runs on win7. I certainly wouldn't mind a sequel using some of the same concepts.

E: just remembered that Haegemonia actually did some of the same things with individual missions spanning multiple interconnected maps and whatnot, although it had more of a 4X element to it. I've often wondered if the Haegemonia devs were inspired by C:FW.

In fairness to that mission in C:FW, Captain Black? does come back later. Only upgraded and more :black101: than ever. so that is..interesting!

I had to back that kickstarter, plus the Turrican one. Goddamn.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SparkTR posted:

Conquest 2: The Vyrium Uprising just got an ambitious Kickstarter. Conquest Frontier Wars was a kickass RTS with some unique ideas (like multiple battle maps in single match). The sequel has been in development hell for a while now and I gave up on it years ago, but it's surfaced on Kickstarter of all places and I hope it makes it. I really want it to exist.

Holy balls- consider this one backed by me! Goddamn, it's been a while! Anyone know where I can get a digital copy of the original?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

ToxicFrog posted:

Hahahaha, balance. That's a good one.

*plays wizard, is the best*

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SparkTR posted:

Conquest 2: The Vyrium Uprising just got an ambitious Kickstarter. Conquest Frontier Wars was a kickass RTS with some unique ideas (like multiple battle maps in single match). The sequel has been in development hell for a while now and I gave up on it years ago, but it's surfaced on Kickstarter of all places and I hope it makes it. I really want it to exist.

This game looks really cool and I might back it. Unfortunate that they seem to be too over-ambitious though. It's a sequel to a game nobody heard of made by people nobody ever heard of, in a genre that isn't known for great indie games. At the current rate, things aren't looking so hot. Hopefully they can get some good publicity.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Unfortunate that they seem to be too over-ambitious though.

Assuming you are talking about what they posted in their list of features/what sets them apart, the only feature that is 'new' are Hybrid Units. The Admirals, supply lines, multiple maps and randomized galaxies were all in the original. That's all old hat since they have some of the original devs.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Holy balls- consider this one backed by me! Goddamn, it's been a while! Anyone know where I can get a digital copy of the original?

Was wondering this myself and put the question to the developer on kickstarter; I got this reply:

quote:

We plan to do a digital release of the original during the making of the 2nd one - we want to up-res the interface etc.

And add steam matchmaking.

I don't know if this is :smith: or :unsmith:

edit: although, the more reason to pledge.

Beef fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 10, 2012

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Looks like the Republique kickstarter is due to have a dramatic last day.

Currently 26 hours to go and they've closed the gap to less than 100k to goal. They've gained 93k just in the last 2 days, so it is possible, if not very difficult.

It'll be interesting to see if this one makes it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think it'll probably make it. It makes me a little leery in the last day or two when the average pledge is 3-4x what it was for the previous 20+ days of the project. It seems like the inverse should happen, more people at the lower price point. $125 isn't an impulse buy/pledge.

Then again, Starlight Inception gained 1/3rd of its goal in the final day alone.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 10, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Harlock posted:

I think it'll probably make it. It makes me a little leery in the last day or two when the average pledge is 3-4x what it was for the previous 20+ days of the project. It seems like the inverse should happen, more people at the lower price point. $125 isn't an impulse buy/pledge.

Then again, Starlight Inception gained 1/3rd of its goal in the final day alone.

The current trend is that last few days of a project will show a dramatic increase in pledges. I would imagine that it's mostly people who were on the fence and decided to go for it before their chance to get in on the project was gone for good. For example, The Banner Saga pulled in a little under $150k in its last three days, with the amount of backers increasing each day (829, 1202 and 1457). That was out of a total of $$723k over 30 days (Wasteland and Shadowrun had a similar trend, but the last day wasn't a full 24h so it's a bit skewed).

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
There's also the fact that, in a case like this where it's getting close to its goal as it gets even closer to its deadline, people who are invested in its success become willing to pledge more than they otherwise would have. You see people saying they just doubled or tripled their pledges all over the comments.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

Assuming you are talking about what they posted in their list of features/what sets them apart, the only feature that is 'new' are Hybrid Units. The Admirals, supply lines, multiple maps and randomized galaxies were all in the original. That's all old hat since they have some of the original devs.

I actually meant their goal.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I actually meant their goal.

Oh, whoops, my bad. Yeah I agree on that completely, it seems a bit of a stretch given how little known the last game was (even if it was fuckin' boss).

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
They seem to want to finish it as a AAA-title or not at all.

I would still like to see that steam version of the old C:FW though.

edit: They added an item to the FAQ answering that question:

quote:

Why do you guys need so much money ?
This is the most asked quesiton, and it is honestly the most relevent one. When we made the first Conquest Frontier Wars it cost us about $5+ million to make.

This one is a lot less because we are buiding upon a working foundation, but that does not diminish the fact that our RTS game is extremely complex.

We have hundreds of units moving and shooting at each other at one time across 16 different map - the game is not a simple one to make. We have to re-do all the original units and interface to make them up to 2012 standards, we need to add in all the cool new features like Hero Admirals, resource AI, and finish adding in a 4th race and making sure it is balanced.

Even though we are a small team- we will be outsourcing to other companies to pick up the slack and to keep our costs down.

So while $675k is a lot of money - it is honestly the right amount to finish this game to a high quality level, anything lower could have set us up for disaster, and if you guys trust us with your $, we want to make sure we deliver on a AAA level experience.

This game is big - and will be great !

Beef fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 10, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Everybody else get the Shadow Run second city poll today?

Berlin sounded way, way more fun and interesting than any of the other options.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Everybody else get the Shadow Run second city poll today?

Berlin sounded way, way more fun and interesting than any of the other options.

That's not how you spell Denver.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Denver would only be good if they managed to rope this thing into the story:

(i voted Berlin)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Beef posted:

I think if they fail their kickstarter, but own the rights to C:FW completely, they should try to do this and use that money on the new game. But I'm no expert in this field and I could be really loving dumb and missing things.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Beef posted:

They seem to want to finish it as a AAA-title or not at all.

edit: They added an item to the FAQ answering that question:

For the game being 50% done, and asking for that much money, you'd think they could get some video or screenshots of their progress up.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

octoroon posted:

I get what they're doing, and given the creators' reputations I'm sure this is legit. But a pitch video with zero content for an MMO-scale project promising lofty, vague, buzzwordy goals FEELS wrong. People with as much industry experience and credibility as these people claim to have should honestly know better. This is, at best, a very dubious use of KickStarter.

e: Or maybe I'm just being sour grapes. It just feels a little bit intentionally misleading, and that bothers me.

I pretty much agree with this. However, I think Republique and Takedown are/were even worse. They're a lot less direct about saying what you're actually funding (so I'm sure some people think they're getting a game), and they're promising things that they might not be able to deliver. If either one doesn't get a publisher, or the only publisher they get makes them change the game around, you're going to see a lot of disappointed backers. The downside of the Pathfinder kickstarter not promising things they can't deliver is ... well, they're not really promising anything. I still find that preferable.

That said, I'm not backing them. They're cool guys and everything, but I don't think this is how kickstarter should be used.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Megazver posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo

There are so many things that are wrong with this.

Oh hey! It's Ryan… yeah, that'll be a disaster :cawg:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Is Republique going to make it? 14 hours and 50,000 to go.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Yodzilla posted:

(i voted Berlin)

Don't even joke about that thing. It will find you.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Well Xenonauts met its goal today. That is all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's pretty astonishing that Republique is probably going to make it considering it was less than half funded last week. Where are these money coming from?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Are there any news at all regarding Takedown or has it gone totally silent?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter/posts

There was an update only yesterday.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's pretty astonishing that Republique is probably going to make it considering it was less than half funded last week. Where are these money coming from?

Incidentally, the Takedown update also partially answers this question. There has been a ton of last minute advertising for Republique, both from other kickstarters and from places like Penny Arcade.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hakkesshu posted:

Kicktraq page shows that something happened May 3rd/4th and then May 9th/10th. Probably the mentioned articles.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
May 3rd was the announcement that David Hayter and Jennifer Hale are on the voice cast. I guess Metal Gear Solid fans have a lot of money. May 9th was just it approaching the deadline.
Although I didn't pledge and I'm not super optimistic about the PC version, I'm altogether happy that it looks likely to make it.

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 11, 2012

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

lordfrikk posted:

All Takedown updates are going on in their forums.

member001
Feb 19, 2011

Electric Pope posted:

May 3rd was the announcement that David Hayter and Jennifer Hale are on the voice cast. I guess Metal Gear Solid fans have a lot of money. May 9th was just it approaching the deadline.
Although I didn't pledge and I'm not too optimistic about the PC version, I'm altogether happy that it looks likely to make it.

Jennifer Hale's tweet made me do the support for that game and really happy with the results. :)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

(i voted Berlin)

So did I. It's one of the cities we haven't really visited in any capacity, at least in terms of Console/PC games.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Megazver posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo

There are so many things that are wrong with this.

It's really frustrating that this game managed to make 60,000 in a day while Kinetic Void is going to have to struggle to make that in a month.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Redux: Dark Matters is a new shooter for Dreamcast if you're into that sort of thing:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redux/redux-dark-matters-a-shmup-for-sega-dreamcast

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Eisenwald is sitting pretty at 90% with 10 days to go. I'm hoping they'll do a new video to promote the final week.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

snipermonkey posted:

Well Xenonauts met its goal today. That is all.

With a full month left to go too. Looks like they might have some significant overage.

Emanuel Yam
Aug 22, 2004

Take it from our drummer, 'Puff'
Being good it gets you stuff
Republique just got funded with 7 hours to go. Hell of a last day.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Jason Rohrer, the guy who made those artsy games like Passage, Gravitation, Sleep is Death, and Inside a Star-filled Sky has made a 2-player (single cart) game for DS called Diamond Trust of London. You both try to out-compete each other in the diamond business, while doing sneaky things like bribing people to give you information your opponent thought was secret. It sounds kind of fun, but I don't know if I'd want to put that kind of money down for a game that requires my opponent to have a DS.

Anyway, he has a kickstarter up for production of carts (the game is already made and approved by Nintendo if he can order enough carts) kickstarter link.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Emanuel Yam posted:

Republique just got funded with 7 hours to go. Hell of a last day.

Blech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Yodzilla posted:

(i voted Berlin)

I loved this when I lived in CO... even with all the background stories of this sculpture and the NWO conspiracies surrounding DIA.

I voted Denver. I want a Wasteland Chipotle.