Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Dude! I ride all over the place, I love it. Granted, most of my commute is just around the area between Tiwanon, Nonthaburi Pier and Rattanthibet, but I've commuted down to Ari and over to Lad Prao and so on a few times. It's actually pretty fun, you're essentially the same as a motorbike driver, but you can stop and start faster and make it into skinnier areas.

I did rear-end a guy once, but he was on a motorbike and pulling one of those lollygagging Thai driver moves where, like a housecat, he instantly becomes distracted by something next to the road and sort of half-stops/half-gawks. I was checking my rear view for a second, when I turned around, bam. Cracked his tail light off, but the sight of a farang halfway up in the air about to crash down on him scared the poo poo out of him and he sped off, heh.

If there's one thing I've learned from the experience, it's that I should never get behind the wheel of anything with a motor in this country.

EDIT: Your comment about Switzerland earlier made me spit up. It's so true. I don't think there's a single other country on Earth with a boner for Switzerland, but Thai people will drive for 4 hours to take pictures of some fake villas because "look like switzerland na ka."

EDIT EDIT: Balcony Chat 2.0:

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I honestly feel a lot safer bicycling in Bangkok or Chiang Mai than in Minneapolis or Chicago. The drivers at least see you in Thailand and don't think that you belong on sidewalks.

The highways in Southeast Asia are such a pleasure to bike on, too, for the same reason. Even on two-lane highways, I've never had a driver honk or get pissed at me that I'm on "their" road.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I would like to encourage more posters to take part in Balcony chat :colbert:

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Speaking of local drivers, this article made me laugh today. Basically, motodop and tuk-tuk drivers in Sihanoukville wanted to stop places from renting motobikes to foreigners and bus services picking up guests from their hotels. Obviously it's because it's hurting their business, but apparently that wasn't their only concern...

quote:

“We don’t want to rent motorbikes, because foreign tourists don’t know Khmer habits when driving; they don’t comply with the law, and some drive by keeping on the left side, so that causes traffic accidents,” Heng Sam Om said.

Not sure how the guy kept a straight face saying that.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Instead of doing 3 "lazy" weeks in Thailand I'm now considering flying to Ho Chi Minh City or Phnom Penh from Bangkok and then making my way back by coach via Siam Reap. How long do you think this would take while still enjoying the places a bit without being massively rushed?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You could do Phnom Penh to Bangkok in half a day by VIP bus if you wanted, so it's do-able. Pretty similar for Siem Reap. The question will be what you want to do. if SR is your last stop in Cambodia, I'd say you could do PP to SR by boat (people slag off the boat, but it's fun once or twice), then do SR to Battambang for a day, then cross over at Poipet the next day and either head South into Chonburi and do the Chantaburi/Koh Chang/Rayong/Koh Samet/Si Racha/Koh Si Chang/Bangkok thing or head North and do a trip through some variation of all the Northern stuff.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

aga. posted:

Instead of doing 3 "lazy" weeks in Thailand I'm now considering flying to Ho Chi Minh City or Phnom Penh from Bangkok and then making my way back by coach via Siam Reap. How long do you think this would take while still enjoying the places a bit without being massively rushed?

Done HCM-PP-SR-BKK in 3 weeks by coach, more than enough time to enjoy yourself, would definitely be an idea to do the Koh Chang/Samet route back rather than the standard boring Poipet-Aranyaprathet-highway for 5 hours route back to Bangkok.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

kru posted:

I would like to encourage more posters to take part in Balcony chat :colbert:

The view from my raft house thing at Khao Sok:

And the view from the crapper:

Khao Sok was sweeeeeet.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Well I'm already starting in Phuket and moving up to Bangkok (including a scuba course on the way) so this would be an extra side trip. I think it's too ambitious as I can probably spare 4/5 days at the very most so I think just going over to Siem Reap from Bangkok for a few days is the smarter option.

I'm reading differing views on whether Bangkok to Siem Reap is still full of scam buses or if the new road has solved that problem. As far as I can tell the return journey seems to be fine.

Talking of views, this one from hbf on the first page has been in my head for 2 years. He never said where it was :(

aga. fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 14, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

aga. posted:

Talking of views, this one from hbf on the first page has been in my head for 2 years. He never said where it was :(

I'm 90% sure that's a view of Phang Nga Bay, but I can't tell whether it's from Phuket, Koh Lanta, Ao Nang, Railay or where, heh. Doesn't look like Ao Nang, too many trees.

Also, monkeys are definitely assholes, but lemurs rock.

EDIT: Spotted in Ao Nang an hour ago:

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 14, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Modus Operandi posted:

I've seen the various bike clubs riding around way out in the sticks. Anything that gets Thais out of their econo-box cars and in the sun exercising should be considered progress. The risk/reward for riding around dodging Bangkok traffic and dickhead drivers deserves a medal in itself though. I can't imagine how dangerous that is i've seen a few of these guys and they ride right in the traffic lanes so I don't know how they avoid getting killed by some minivan or taxi driver who thinks it's cool to ride right up your rear end before slamming the brakes on at high speed.

I think a year or so before I studied in Thailand, there was a Bangkok mayor who tried to encourage bicycles (IIRC some bike lanes were built at considerable expense). We read an article and discussed it in class. It was a total flop because:

1) Bangkok is hot as balls
2) Motorcycles used the bike lanes, kind of defeating the point of having special lanes for bicycles
3) oh no my skin get dark

I don't doubt some Thai hipsters don the two-wheeled hair shirt (a fixed gear bike) though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Haha, yes, that was Apichart I think - the guy before Sukhumband. They actually did paint all those bike lanes. If you google the terms you'll find some great pictures of:

A) Bike lanes with soup stalls covering them up for meters and meters
B) Bike lanes that got rearranged when the sidewalk bricks were re-laid, so that the white stripes are now scattered all over a sidewalk
C) Bike lanes where Somchai painted the lane straight into a light pole, stopped, and then started again on the other side

There's actually a pretty large and growing SERIOUS CYCLING movement, at least in Bangkok, and they travel around a lot to cycle in new places, but by "large and growing" I'm guessing I'm referring to four figures, max. And, yeah, everyone else has one of those stupid fixed-gear neon bikes OR, my favorite, the folding bike.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

IMO bike lanes are a very American thing - you need a separate lane for bicycles when 99% of the population considers an internal combustion engine to be necessary for their primary mode of transportation and that anything else doesn't belong on the roads.

In Southeast Asia, all roads are for all traffic of all different speeds, so I don't really get why bicycles need or deserve special treatment, or how it would make sense for anyone.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

eviljelly posted:

IMO bike lanes are a very American thing - you need a separate lane for bicycles when 99% of the population considers an internal combustion engine to be necessary for their primary mode of transportation and that anything else doesn't belong on the roads.

In Southeast Asia, all roads are for all traffic of all different speeds, so I don't really get why bicycles need or deserve special treatment, or how it would make sense for anyone.

You see bike lanes all over northwestern Europe too, especially the Netherlands and Germany. Surprisingly, Bogota in Colombia has an outstanding system of bike lanes too (although cycling at 8000 feet is exhausting at first).

I can't imagine cycling in SEA though. The combination of heat, traffic, and culture make it sound suicidal to me.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Macunaima posted:

I can't imagine cycling in SEA though. The combination of heat, traffic, and culture make it sound suicidal to me.

Some people do it; at least one goon (dwoloz?) did a trip around Malaysia, Thailand, and Cambodia on a bicycle. Whenever my Minsk broke down in the middle of nowhere, I found myself wishing I had a bicycle (and promptly forgot about that whenever I was tacking mountains in Vietnam/Laos, lol).

ReindeerF posted:

There's actually a pretty large and growing SERIOUS CYCLING movement, at least in Bangkok, and they travel around a lot to cycle in new places, but by "large and growing" I'm guessing I'm referring to four figures, max. And, yeah, everyone else has one of those stupid fixed-gear neon bikes OR, my favorite, the folding bike.

Folding bikes would make sense if you could bring them on the MRT/Skytrain though, would put the squeeze on those motorcycle taxis guys* that people use for the remaining short-to-medium hop home. One of the things that really grinds my gears about the public transportation in Japan is that you can't do that; the best you can do is put a folding bike in a bag and lug it aboard.

I'm trying to imagine a Critical Mass event in Bangkok and the images in my mind are both hilarious and tragic.

*For the record, motorcycle taxi guys are the poo poo and I recommend at least one jaunt on one (with video rolling), if you like rollercoasters or near death (or possibly just regular death) experiences. You can more often than not get the Thai price by handing them a 50 or 100 baht note and waiting for change; distances

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 15, 2012

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Macunaima posted:

I don't really get this. You've traveled all over SE Asia - you know that there are cars, motorcycles, ox/horse carts, bicycles, arm-pedal bicycles (no idea what the word for these would be), pedestrians, and probably other forms of transport on roads all over this region. Drivers are used to seeing all of these. Culturally, SE Asia is probably the best place to bike. As for traffic, it's super fun biking in the big cities of SE Asia - I loved biking in HCMC and Bangkok - but I can see that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Outside of the major cities, the traffic is not that thick and very easy to navigate through.

The heat definitely takes a bit of getting used to or working around. I did my Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos/Thailand tour starting in early December and quit when it got unbearably hot in March. The winter months are actually fairly pleasant to bike through - way more tolerable than when I biked in the American South in April/May.

Incidentally, the mountains of northern Vietnam and Laos were my favorite bike touring areas. Makes you feel alive!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I wouldn't ride a bicycle in the bigger cities mainly due to the pollution. You probably shave off a few years of your life after a couple of rides inhaling all that sweet exhaust :)

This is 99% of all Thai Farang relationships:

Not meant to be offensive. Can remove it people think so.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
"ME AND THE MISSUS GOIN TO THE BEACH FOR A SWIM AND FANCY CATCHIN SOME FOOTIE LATER, YES"

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ringo R posted:

This is 99% of all Thai Farang relationships:
Him smoking and talking about how it is back in Manchester, her mumbling MMM DAHLING affirmatively while she ignores him and stares at all the expensive poo poo he's going to have to buy. BUT DAHLING LAY BAN NUMBAH ONE MAKE ME LOOK CUTE SAME SAME PACAKE NA KA :pout: :smack: :kiss kiss kiss: :jump and hug: LUB YOU DAHLING JING JING TAKE CARE ME EBBYSING!

Seriously, the guys who date these bargirls and the bargirls who date these guys deserve each other - I just wish they would repatriate quicker! Constantly giving the rest of us a bad name, heh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 15, 2012

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Seriously, the guys who date these bargirls and the bargirls who date these guys deserve each other - I just wish they would repatriate quicker! Constantly giving the rest of us a bad name, heh.

But then who would be around to stock the next generation of Thai's luk-kreung pop and soap stars?!

disclaimer: not to say all of Thailand's hapas are of questionable parentage.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My girlfriend's actually capable of irony (this hardly being a guarantee in Thailand) and her comment one day was, "I'm worried that by the time we have kids, there will be so many luu kreung that they won't be cute anymore!" Cute, Thailand's most highly valued domestic commodity.

EDIT: Spelling, not a guarantee among farangs.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 15, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When you do have a kid name it Ebbysing so you can take care na

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Him smoking and talking about how it is back in Manchester, her mumbling MMM DAHLING affirmatively while she ignores him and stares at all the expensive poo poo he's going to have to buy. BUT DAHLING LAY BAN NUMBAH ONE MAKE ME LOOK CUTE SAME SAME PACAKE NA KA :pout: :smack: :kiss kiss kiss: :jump and hug: LUB YOU DAHLING JING JING TAKE CARE ME EBBYSING!

I remember eating in a restaurant in MBK once. It was one of those Thai franchises that sold traditional isaan fare. These two old dudes brought in their "dates" and one of them was talking with her like a baby and explaining things like "oooo menu you see good mmm mm" as if she was unfamiliar with the concept of sit down restaurants or thai food items. It was embarassing to see and listen to but then I noticed she kept referring to him as "dak-ling" instead of "dahling." I didn't know what that meant at the time but I asked a Thai friend of mine about that and he laughed.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'll bite, monkey child?

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

I'll bite, monkey child?

monkey rear end. dek dek = children

Apparently it's a pretty common lower class insult along the lines of a-sat and such.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 15, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ah okay. Dek gets shortened for lots of hierarchical terms/insults too, heh, I was confused, like dek serv or dek rien and what have you. Monkey rear end works, though. The only lower-class slang I've picked up for farangs aside from the obvious kwai is use of the animal/third person pronoun mun. I enjoy learning all the stereotypes, so I ask the girlfriend, but she doesn't always think of everything, heh. I'm still enjoying the whole "farangs smell bad" level of insult. Occasioanlly after a few beers I'll roll down the window of her car and yell at some foreigner on the street, "farang awk bai!" as we roll past. She turns three shades of red, but other Thai people see to find this entertaining. At least in Nonthaburi, I kind of mean it :O

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 15, 2012

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Ah okay. Dek gets shortened for lots of hierarchical terms/insults too, heh, I was confused, like dek serv or dek rien and what have you. Monkey rear end works, though. The only lower-class slang I've picked up for farangs aside from the obvious kwai is use of the animal/third person pronoun mun.
First thing I did was try to learn all the cuss words and derogatory stuff. Then I found out Thai children swear like sailors. At least on par or even more than American kids. The times that i've been to an internet cafe here like every 4th or 5th word from kids was "ahea" or calling each other: "a-sat" then "kie ni" and the more mundane A-ha, kwai, ling, etc.. these weren't really old kids either maybe 11-14 y.o. at most.

Really though a-sat is the one that gets me the most. I don't even think there's a real English equivalent to it. It's like referring to someone as an "it" or "beast" constantly. In Chinese it's the equivalent of adding an animal radical to someone's name or ethnicity. It's something else..like the ultimate classist put down used casually.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 15, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The brown poor Thai kids get called Laotian in school, or Khmers. As an insult.

Also sometimes a group of girls will gang up and call one girl Big Tits to tease her. And the word for tits is milk. So they just yell Num Yai over and over.

Big milk!
Big milk!
Big milk!

raton fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 15, 2012

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

The brown poor Thai kids get called Laotian in school, or Khmers. As an insult.
Haha yeah. I've heard this too. Usually a kid pats another one on the head and says something like mun Khmen or mun Lao.

quote:

Also sometimes a group of girls will gang up and call one girl Big Tits to tease her. And the word for tits is milk. So they just yell Num Yai over and over.

Big milk!
Big milk!
Big milk!
The most hilarious insult I ever heard (also in an internet cafe) was one kid calling this really fat round faced kid Doraemon. I know teasing/bullying is bad but goddamn the boy really did look like Doraemon. The fat kid's response back was something like Dorae-ling ni. I noticed that Thais tend to add 'ling (monkey) to half a word to things which is basically like saying bullshit without saying bullshit.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite part about Thai insults is that most of the time the insulters are like "you're a big stinky stupid Lao fuckface" and then the insultee is like "haha yeah I'm stinky as hell *fart noise*" and then everyone laughs.

The movie Iron Pussy came out while I was teaching in a Thai boy's highschool. One of the mixed kids stood up in class after attendance and pointed at one of the severely gay kids and yelled "TEACHER HE IS A PUSSY BOY!" That class was seriously awesome though and I could have asked them to build a rocket ship and they would have so I just taught them what pussy means and what it doesn't (hint: it can't be used to mean a man is gay -- at least not by nonnative speakers). The kid who got called Pussy Boy didn't say anything but he was just sitting there like Hell Yeah I'm Super Gay and I Don't Give a drat About It :smug:

Also in that same school I had a maybe ten year old already gay-as-a-three-dollar-bill boy sing some Brittney Spears song and do a sexy dance for me when I was in the elevator with him alone for about four floors. Kid was workin' it man. I was just thinking holy poo poo I hope he stops when the door opens because I don't know if anyone's going to believe it was his idea to do that poo poo.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The most interesting thing about cursing in Thailand for me was that, unlike every other country, the curse words are the hardest to learn. I mean, yeah, once you know what people are saying you hear plenty of insults and things, but when you first get here and you're asking all your white collar friends to teach you how to say motherfucker (because you don't yet realize that mother- insults don't go in Thailand) it's all sheepish looks and so on.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I have basically nothing to contribute to profanity-chat.

Thanks for nothing, Chula education :negative:

Speaking of which, I'm still in regular communication with one of my former professors there. Apparently the Intensive Thai program I did is being nerfed from this year, and is now part-time and a lot easier. That probably makes the program at Chiang Mai University (I know the US government sends people there) the most rigorous in the country, in case anyone's interested.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Chiang Mai doing something better than Bangkok? Pfffft. We Bangkokians won't hear of it! Backwater little smokey red shirt outpost that it is. Piffle! PIFFLE! Go burn your fields, prai!

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

The most interesting thing about cursing in Thailand for me was that, unlike every other country, the curse words are the hardest to learn. I mean, yeah, once you know what people are saying you hear plenty of insults and things, but when you first get here and you're asking all your white collar friends to teach you how to say motherfucker (because you don't yet realize that mother- insults don't go in Thailand) it's all sheepish looks and so on.

The way people speak has all sorts of status implications when it comes to Thai society. I remember some article that said that most rural Thais don't even really understand what the King says when he speaks. Like his allusions, vocabulary, etc.. are all too philosophical and formal for them. I guess the equivalent is if we transported some high falutin' Roman God-emperor like Diocletian back from time and he sat on his throne dictating some quasi-latin mystical speak to us commoners.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, the apocryphal story is about the King speaking to a farmer where a translator had to be brought in because the farmer ostensibly didn't speak his dialect. I recall that one because supposedly they went and found the same guy like 30 years later during the coronation 60th anniversary and interviewed him. Of course there are (Pompous, outside of Thailand, - or you - can elaborate) the issues one might have being born and educated abroad and then returning to one's home country that one has never lived in, therefore not having learned the particular language in question (one might speak very softly so as not to be heard very well for a variety of reasons beyond the official status/politeness rationales given).

There is some third priory type language only used inside the court historically, but I doubt that's really true anymore (I read somewhere that it's basically Khmer, which would be funny if true). The issue, from what my Thai friends say, has more to do with the personal background involved.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 16, 2012

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Education just isn't very good in the rural areas so i'm guessing that's most of it. Basic literacy in Thailand is not too bad but probably reading comprehension and listening levels is really underdeveloped. Plus some of the bureaucratic/court speak is probably extremely vague on purpose. I mean if you can beat around the bush and avoid taking any significant position (or do you?!) then no one can actually blame you for anything, ever. I noticed some BKK politicians try to mimic this but with less grace. They usually twist and turn the words every which way enough to where we would call ut "blatant lies" but yet they somehow always say they never said or did that. Thais are great at playing word/meaning semantics though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I think the complete obfuscation of any possible concrete meaning that's built into Thai culture is a bit of a separate issue. I definitely agree with it, though. I need to learn Thai much, much better so I can understand the nuance, because there's an entire level of conversation that I'm not clued in to. Still, even if I were, I know from experience how skilled people are here about carefully constructing communication so as to neither assign, nor accept responsibility in a situation. It's like an entire nation of Bill Clintons and Ari Fleischers. The first thing I do with subordinates (we're talking about internationally focused companies here) is tell them, "Do not ever respond to an email asking you to do something with simply Ka or Krab, always respond with a yes, a no or a question." That probably sounds silly to folks who haven't managed people in Thailand, but it's mandatory to clear the basic level of bullshit out of the way up front so that you can proceed to the even more entertaining games like authority-referencing musical chairs, "But Pi said that I should tell you that Pi talked to Nhong Noi about the project that you want me to look at so that Nhong Noi could help me work with Pi on;jkef'poj@!#@#R!"

Anyway, back on topic, I can pop into fuckall nowhere and chat with pretty much anyone about basic things. Granted, it takes a minute for them to adjust to my accent (and my poor pronunciation), but we can talk about farming and the weather and family and where they're from and so on. The thing I've heard is that some super-duper-rural Thais in provincial areas speak only the local dialect and haven't been assimilated in the Central Thai collective via television and radio and so on, so they actually can't understand Central Thai. Still, whoever these people are I haven't run across them - and I go out jogging into farms and plantations and all over and end up talking to the most random landowners imaginable. Usually, in fact, the biggest problem I have is escaping to finish my run without a 30 minute discussion, a glass of whiskey and the like. I suspect the language issue was probably much more of a problem 30 years ago than it would be today.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 16, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

There is some third priory type language only used inside the court historically, but I doubt that's really true anymore (I read somewhere that it's basically Khmer, which would be funny if true). The issue, from what my Thai friends say, has more to do with the personal background involved.

If you're talking about Royal Thai, it's actually used in the news or whenever you want to talk about the HM King (peace be upon Him), as well as to him. I can't remember how it works with the rest of the royal family; luckily I never ran into princess whats-her-name when she was studying at Chula (we were in the same faculty at the same time and I saw her security detail waiting outside every week, but obviously didn't have any classes together or anything).

You're right that much of the vocabulary is derived from Khmer, although granted from hundreds of years ago.

We learned a tiny bit of Royal Thai in the Chula program; my professors admitted that even the vast majority of Thai people don't know very much of it (to give an extreme example: "to go" is "pbai" in standard Thai, but if you want to talk about the King going somewhere, it's "praraachadamnoen"... but with a lot of verbs you can toss a "song" in front and be okay). There's a well-known story about the King going for a haircut somewhere in Chiang Mai and the barber (who spoke Standard Thai perfectly fine) being too terrified to speak to him because he didn't know proper Royal Thai. HMtK is apparently a good sport about it and always tells the chaobaan to just use regular, polite Thai, he won't get mad.

Accidentally using the perfectly normal pronoun "khao" for the King in class earned me a quick reprimand from one of my professors; it's "pra ong". Outside of that I've really only used it once; in a different lecture I asked if the king votes (he doesn't) and it really surprised the (other) professor who I was asking that I was able to use it correctly. I think Royal Thai is the ultimate Thai language parlor trick; for shits and giggles I picked up a pair of scrawny references at Kinokuniya because Thai books are cheap as hell, but they were pretty lacking (confirmed by professors), and you'd have to already be pretty familiar with regular written Thai to get anything out of them. And yeah, it's basically useless unless you're either a scholar/weeaboo of the royal family, or run in some *really* high circles.

ReindeerF posted:

Granted, it takes a minute for them to adjust to my accent (and my poor pronunciation),

HAVE YOU NOT LEARNED YOUR ก ข ค‘s YET?! :argh:

quote:

but we can talk about farming and the weather and family and where they're from and so on. The thing I've heard is that some super-duper-rural Thais in provincial areas speak only the local dialect and haven't been assimilated in the Central Thai collective via television and radio and so on, so they actually can't understand Central Thai. Still, whoever these people are I haven't run across them - and I go out jogging into farms and plantations and all over and end up talking to the most random landowners imaginable. Usually, in fact, the biggest problem I have is escaping to finish my run without a 30 minute discussion, a glass of whiskey and the like. I suspect the language issues was probably much more of a problem 30 years ago than it would be today.

I think I may have recommended it to you a year or two ago, but I highly recommend tracking down a copy of William Smalley's Linguistic Diversity and National Unity: Language Ecology in Thailand. It's a little bit dated being from the early nineties, but still it's a fascinating look at language politics and sociology in Thailand (despite the title, it's not too bad with academic-speak, and is written for an audience completely unfamiliar with the language/country) and talks about just that sort of thing. It's the most interesting thing I've ever read about Thailand, and really wish I'd had read it before I studied there. I think most Thais would say "duh" about most of it, but it's also something they'd very seldom, if ever, bring up in conversation with an outsider.

(Actually, I recommend it to anyone who's going to be traveling in Thailand and has an interest in the local culture... it'll put you miles ahead of all the other backpackers who just regurgitate whatever little bite-sized snippets the Lonely Planet tosses in as filler).

This graph got a chuckle out of me, and I posted it on FB a couple of years ago with the caption "DEAL WITH IT".

If you want a sample chapter, I probably have the section on Kuy that I digitized for RingoR a while back. I can't remember if I ever sent you a zip file of all my thesis research documents (I'm not sending my actual thesis, it's an embarrassing piece of poo poo), but if I haven't, PM me your email and I'll try and dig them up.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Accidentally using the perfectly normal pronoun "khao" for the King in class earned me a quick reprimand from one of my professors
I would have LOVED to have been there for that, hahaha.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

HAVE YOU NOT LEARNED YOUR ก ข ค‘s YET?! :argh:
I am an expert at Gor Gai and Ngor Ngoo. At this rate I'll know the entire alphabet by the time I pass away. You'll be glad to know that I am finally giving in and starting classes soon (not that you need classes, but whatever, they worked for me before). Soon I will be annoying the poo poo out of Thai people all over the country by mispronouncing menu items left and right.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This graph got a chuckle out of me, and I posted it on FB a couple of years ago with the caption "DEAL WITH IT".

If you want a sample chapter, I probably have the section on Kuy that I digitized for RingoR a while back. I can't remember if I ever sent you a zip file of all my thesis research documents (I'm not sending my actual thesis, it's an embarrassing piece of poo poo), but if I haven't, PM me your email and I'll try and dig them up.
What the Hell is Phu Thai? Also, thanks for yet another spelling of what is now Teochiu.

EDIT: The Backpacking Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Malaysia & SE Asia - Sex Tourist or Hippie Backpacker: Choose Your Own Adventure threads, proudly not using local languages in local script since 2004.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abba-Zaba
May 8, 2007

You my only friend.
Right now I am in Phuket for a day or two and then making my way south to Kuala Lumpur. What's the best way to get down there? I think that it would be to go down to Krabi, Hat Yai and then train down to KL. But the girl I am traveling with wants to backtrack back to Surat Thani and then train directly down to KL.

Which way would be better?