Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there any way to keep track of fatigue besides the little note in the bottom?
It's based on your vigor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SpRahl posted:

Well to be fair it sounds like he kicked your rear end plenty of times too :)

Yeah but all those times he got to see me die and crumple to the floor as opposed to jumping to a cutscene where I suddenly get the upper-hand on him and "let" him live :colbert:

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I just got to act 3 and just don't feel like playing it anymore. This past week I've started it up a few times, played a few minutes then went and did something else. I really enjoyed Act 1 and 2 though. Did this happen to anyone else?

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

RBA Starblade posted:

The problem I ran into was no matter what, after two hits he was blocking again, and if my attack didn't get through, I was knocked back, set on fire or bleeding, then he used quen again. I got into a pattern of aard, two heavy attacks, aard, two heavy attacks, then running away until I had full vigor again. And yeah the scripted loss bugged me too. I also didn't like the quick time event when fighting the Kayran, it actually killed me because my health was low and I hit the wrong button.

Is there any way to keep track of fatigue besides the little note in the bottom? I'm not sure how much it affects how much Geralt does, just that when its out he can't string attacks together. Also, I'm not a fan of changing it so you can't use potions without meditating now. A lot of fights are surprise attacks on Geralt, so it kind of throws that whole "prepare for your next encounter" thing out the window unless you save scum. How useful are the potions that reduce health/damage for the other or more regeneration, by the way?

One thing I've noticed is that putting up Quen seems to staunch any active DoT effects. I'm not 100% for sure, but it seems like the timer for them goes away once Quen goes up.

I prefer to use the potions that have no drawbacks. I tend to keep Swallow, Tawny Owl, and Rook active. The talent that reduces drawbacks and increases gains with potions is very nice and makes the ones with negative effects much more appealing. I grabbed that for my sign heavy play through. With all the vigor regen talents, I had something ridiculous like 1.5 vigor regen in combat after drinking Lapwing and Tawny Owl. I think normally it starts out at like 0.1 vigor regen in combat. :v:

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Weebly posted:

I just got to act 3 and just don't feel like playing it anymore. This past week I've started it up a few times, played a few minutes then went and did something else. I really enjoyed Act 1 and 2 though. Did this happen to anyone else?

It's not that I didn't want to play anymore, I just thought act three was pretty weak in comparison (it's a combination of a lot of things that have been discussed a little already). Don't worry though, you can get through it really quickly if you want to, and won't miss that much because it is so light on content.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Weebly posted:

If it helps, you're really close to the end. Act 3 is much shorter than Act 2, and can easily be completed in two or three hours (even less, if you ignore the sidequests).

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I don't care what side you prefer, everyone should love Vernon Roche forever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lycus posted:

It's based on your vigor.

Is it a straight 1 to 1, before counting skills that adjust it (like the one where guard uses less vigor)?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

RBA Starblade posted:

Is it a straight 1 to 1, before counting skills that adjust it (like the one where guard uses less vigor)?

Fatigue maxes out at 50% when you have 0 Vigor, with the scale being based on your current/max Vigor, e.g. at 1/2 Vigor, fatigue'll be at 75%, 2/3 Vigor is 83%, and so on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So this game wants me to play it on Easy, to which I say, gently caress that, I will not be condescended to by my drat HUD.

Amazing how much more hectic the combat can be when it's not that silly dice roll rhythm-clicking of the first one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Should I just go ahead and craft a meteorite silver sword or will I be finding a silver sword soon? I haven't found any besides a witcher's silver sword and I'm still using Aeondight in Chapter 2.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

RBA Starblade posted:

Should I just go ahead and craft a meteorite silver sword or will I be finding a silver sword soon? I haven't found any besides a witcher's silver sword and I'm still using Aeondight in Chapter 2.

Did you not complete the Endrega and Nekker quests in Chapter 1? Because you're rewarded with a Superb Silver Sword diagram or something that's much better than your startup silver sword.

Also in Ch. 2 I used a Robust Yellow Meteorite Sword I think, which you can just buy the diagram from a merchant.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

qbert posted:

Did you not complete the Endrega and Nekker quests in Chapter 1? Because you're rewarded with a Superb Silver Sword diagram or something that's much better than your startup silver sword.

Also in Ch. 2 I used a Robust Yellow Meteorite Sword I think, which you can just buy the diagram from a merchant.

Only the Endrega. I was deciding whether or not to spend my money on one of the robust sword diagrams or save up for the Draugr armor.

Also I got an innocent man killed because I believed a wraith but in my defense in the last game the wraiths were always (more or less) innocent. :saddowns:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Only the Endrega. I was deciding whether or not to spend my money on one of the robust sword diagrams or save up for the Draugr armor.

Also I got an innocent man killed because I believed a wraith but in my defense in the last game the wraiths were always (more or less) innocent. :saddowns:

Don't waste your money on the Draugr diagram. You can't actually make the Draugr armor until Ch 3, and by then you'll be able to quickly find/buy better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alright, thanks, I'll just get the meteorite sword then.

Ha, looked up the Bygone Era quest online because I sold the scroll, and it looks like I locked myself out of stuff! I'm 0 for 2 from that wraith house.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
If it's any consolation, getting the guy killed arguably gets you a better reward (unless they changed that in the patch).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It looks like you get a nice sword diagram if you gently caress up versus some experience if you don't. I just need to find a dwarven armor fragment so I can make it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

If it's any consolation, getting the guy killed arguably gets you a better reward (unless they changed that in the patch).

You get more XP for solving it correctly but a better material reward for failing it.

RBA Starblade posted:

You should have looked around after killing the Arachas in act 1 :colbert:. Anyway yeah just make/buy a better sword.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Is there any way to check what buffs do? I know about the abilities screen, but that doesn't help me when I walk tnto a Place of Power and I can't see how much the bonus is. I've beaten this game twice now and have never found a way to do it.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

Is there any way to check what buffs do? I know about the abilities screen, but that doesn't help me when I walk tnto a Place of Power and I can't see how much the bonus is. I've beaten this game twice now and have never found a way to do it.

You can generally tell by the icon of the buff and its name, but the Witcher wiki has more specific information. The game could disclose that stuff better but since you can have as many going at once as you find out in the world and they are always beneficial I never worry about it too much. I see one and grab it and figure it's doing something positive..

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

It looks like you get a nice sword diagram if you gently caress up versus some experience if you don't. I just need to find a dwarven armor fragment so I can make it.

Except if I recall correctly it's freaking impossible to find a Dwarven Armor Fragment anywhere in the game. Seriously, if anyone knows where you're supposed to get one let me know, because I researched it after getting that diagram and came up with nothing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had one in Chapter 1 at some point but I threw it on my armor immediately. Maybe there's a merchant later or something.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I had one in Chapter 1 at some point but I threw it on my armor immediately. Maybe there's a merchant later or something.

Well there are Dwarven Enhancements which you can throw on armors and find without too much trouble, but they're not the same thing.

farfidnuggin
May 9, 2009
I keep going back to play through Iorveth's path and to try the EE stuff, but gently caress, I can't muster the will to blow off Vernon. I instinctively just go with Vernon.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
All right, I saw this pop up on the Nexus a few days ago, much to my delight, and decided to give it my scrutinizing eye. After a few days of monster huntin' and human mashin', I feel it's something we should be keeping our eye on.

Better Combat for Enhanced Edition - It's back, baby! Better Combat makes its return for the Enhanced Edition and it kicks just as much rear end as before. Or, rather, it kicks your rear end. This makes the game much harder, and in conjunction with CEO, smooths out the difficulty curve across all three acts. Generally, it makes enemies far tougher to compensate for Geralt's meteoric rise in power and equipment, forcing you to be a far more careful and patient fighter and to make use of everything in your arsenal.

It's highly recommended you use this partnered with Complete Equipment Overhaul, they're essentially made to go with each other (install BC over CEO).

Careful with some bosses, however; from reading the comments, it sounds like the new caretaker may have gotten a little overzealous with health regeneration, making some of them literally unbeatable.

Not recommended just yet.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
what runes should I put into my swords? I don't want to waste my runes/swords by putting a lovely rune in a good sword and a good rune in a lovely sword.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

what runes should I put into my swords? I don't want to waste my runes/swords by putting a lovely rune in a good sword and a good rune in a lovely sword.

Fire Runes are pretty good for damage and roasting enemies, but really the only rune you might not want to put in is Moon and that's only if you're ignoring signs. Pretty much any rune works if you're just playing the game normally.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GoldenNugget posted:

Don't worry about it. Generally, fire, moon and ysigth runes are the most appealing, but don't worry about it. Go with what seems rad. It's what Geralt would do. no it isn't

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The only rune you should completely ignore is Sun. And yeah, only use Moon if you're concentrating on signs.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I always load up my Deithwen with 3x fire runes for the incineration resistance since everything you fight after you get it is fire based. For your other sword, go Ysgith if you're Alchemy or Swords and Moon if you're Magic.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

farfidnuggin posted:

I keep going back to play through Iorveth's path and to try the EE stuff, but gently caress, I can't muster the will to blow off Vernon. I instinctively just go with Vernon.

If it helps any you're still pretty much bbf with Roche, even if you side with Iorveth.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Careful with some bosses, however; from reading the comments, it sounds like the new caretaker may have gotten a little overzealous with health regeneration, making some of them literally unbeatable.

I like the idea of making the game more difficult, but it sucks when modmakers assume that you're going to use the most unbalanced weaponry available and therefore make it impossible to do anything else. Mixing swords and magic and traps and knifes and bombs is awesome; stun-locking boss after boss with 1,000 traps and bombs isn't actually very much fun.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a good way to hack the Draugr armour fragment into my inventory? I picked one up early on in Act 2 and promptly died, then it didn't drop again.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
As far as I can tell that armour fragment is completely useless. I certainly have found no diagram with it.

VV Explains it, I haven't touched dark mode.

Riso fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 13, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Riso posted:

As far as I can tell that armour fragment is completely useless. I certainly have found no diagram with it.

It's part of the second chapter dark mode armor set.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

RBA Starblade posted:

That guy was innocent? Fuuuuuck I handed them both over to the wraith :saddowns:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Soothing Vapors posted:

That guy was innocent? Fuuuuuck I handed them both over to the wraith :saddowns:

Well he did kill their father (they were all siblings)

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Different quest.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Kaal posted:

Well he did kill their father (they were all siblings)
Yeah, but that was justifiable.

As for the two guys in Chapter 1: Yeah, they're guilty as gently caress. However, even if you don't hand them over to the wraith, that doesn't mean you have to let them go. You can hand them over to Laredo's mother, who is the actually the brutalized young woman from their story. She probably does things to them far worse than the wraith would've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The two guys at the burned down asylum in Flotsam are very, very guilty. The "asylum" was actually a death camp and those two tortured the Nilfgaardian Wraith to death, raped at least one inmate, tortured many others and left them all to die when the fire broke out.

The guy in the Keadweni camp is Largely innocent. Soldiers "dishonoured"(probably raped) his sisters and were then killed by their father, who was possessed by a demon. He then accidentally killed his father in a scuffle. The wraith he is haunted by is the demon that possessed his father.

• Locked thread