Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Zenostein posted:

Is it reasonable to be a 2L and not give a gently caress about proper citations? Presently, I have citations like "Id. at GOD KNOWS" and my citations to a foreign court are basically their numbering system for cases, followed by "available at http://catindia.gov.in/Judgement.aspx"

For what it's worth, the bluebook doesn't have poo poo for the Indian Cyber Appellate Tribunal. So if anyone is well-versed in Indian law, is there a more proper citation? And if you are, how do I best cite to an act that's been amended? The bluebook just gives guidelines for a primary act, but no help for amendments, and this stupid act is useless without the Amendment.

Also, final papers for a class that are pretty much law review fodder suck. But I did manage to gin up 11 more pages tonight, after creating 17 or so on the 1st night I wrote the paper. 31 pages is fine if the requirement is "at least 20 pages," right? Still have to write the syllabus and conclusion, though.

For the app. tribunal it'll depend on what reporter you're getting it from, but if you're getting it straight from the tribunal without a reporter and it has no reporter just cite it as a slip opinion with however it's demarcated and an available at.

For the act, cite it as a primary sine you'll be giving the year of the enactment and then the year of the Acts of Parliament compilation to which you're citing, make sure the latter is one that has the amendment. Put an explanatory parenthetical pointing to the amendment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Zenostein posted:

Is it reasonable to be a 2L and not give a gently caress about proper citations? Presently, I have citations like "Id. at GOD KNOWS" and my citations to a foreign court are basically their numbering system for cases, followed by "available at http://catindia.gov.in/Judgement.aspx"

For what it's worth, the bluebook doesn't have poo poo for the Indian Cyber Appellate Tribunal. So if anyone is well-versed in Indian law, is there a more proper citation? And if you are, how do I best cite to an act that's been amended? The bluebook just gives guidelines for a primary act, but no help for amendments, and this stupid act is useless without the Amendment.

The Warszawa posted:

For the app. tribunal it'll depend on what reporter you're getting it from, but if you're getting it straight from the tribunal without a reporter and it has no reporter just cite it as a slip opinion with however it's demarcated and an available at.

For the act, cite it as a primary sine you'll be giving the year of the enactment and then the year of the Acts of Parliament compilation to which you're citing, make sure the latter is one that has the amendment. Put an explanatory parenthetical pointing to the amendment.

As Posner famously said about the blue book: "Why the gently caress do we have the Bluebook giving us advice on how to cite to the Indian Cyber Appellate Tribunal?"[fn.1] Real people who actually practice law don't give a gently caress as long as you can reach the source.

[1] This loving website: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/quote-of-the-day-judge-posner-benchslaps-the-bluebook/

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 10, 2012

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

BigHead posted:

As Posner famously said about the blue book: "Why the gently caress do we have the Bluebook giving us advice on how to cite to the Indian Cyber Appellate Tribunal?"[fn.1] Real people who actually practice law don't give a gently caress as long as you can reach the source.

[1] This loving website: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/quote-of-the-day-judge-posner-benchslaps-the-bluebook/

I was one year off from actually Bluebooking that piece. Oh irony of ironies.

Besides, he's writing for a prof (who probably doesn't care either).

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

The Warszawa posted:

Besides, he's writing for a prof (who probably doesn't care either).

What else does the prof have to care about?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Dude was like the director of tech services for the library. I kinda doubt he gives a poo poo; the only reason I do is 3 semesters of legal writing indoctrination.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Judging by their average note submissions, professors give even less of a poo poo about bluebooking than practitioners do.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
My least favorite thing about law school exams is the arbitrariness of grades/my complete inability to predict my scores. I just got out of Copyright, and I know I wasn't clueless, but that's about it. I've walked out of exams thinking I had a lot of interesting stuff to say and gotten a B. And 2 out of 3 of my best grades completely surprised me. Putting it out of my mind wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take a month for grades to hit. Bah.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

AKMoose posted:

My least favorite thing about law school exams is the arbitrariness of grades/my complete inability to predict my scores. I just got out of Copyright, and I know I wasn't clueless, but that's about it. I've walked out of exams thinking I had a lot of interesting stuff to say and gotten a B. And 2 out of 3 of my best grades completely surprised me. Putting it out of my mind wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take a month for grades to hit. Bah.

It doesn't matter. Nothing matters. Just let go.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

AKMoose posted:

Everyone but people on law review for grades has this problem. Don't worry about it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
God drat the law is such loving bullshit sometimes.

A dentist lies about doing work (as in he charged for it and didn't do it) and I need an expert report to go after him. gently caress.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

God drat the law is such loving bullshit sometimes.

A dentist lies about doing work (as in he charged for it and didn't do it) and I need an expert report to go after him. gently caress.

If it weren't all you lawyers, all of our health care would be cheaper!

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Two of my friends just posted on Facebook about going to law school. I said congrats, buuut...

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
Hey guys, real quick stupid question about my disastrous lack of a legal career. (If it matters, I'm in Illinois.)

Regarding CLE requirements, is there any reason not to do CLE classes via webinar/other online means? I have every intention of legitimately attempting to learn from whatever I do and it doesn't sound like there's any real method of discerning whether you learned a drat thing from CLE, but will someone in the state bar association/state Supreme Court's office look at my verification funny if it's an online CLE provider?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jefepato posted:

Hey guys, real quick stupid question about my disastrous lack of a legal career. (If it matters, I'm in Illinois.)

Regarding CLE requirements, is there any reason not to do CLE classes via webinar/other online means? I have every intention of legitimately attempting to learn from whatever I do and it doesn't sound like there's any real method of discerning whether you learned a drat thing from CLE, but will someone in the state bar association/state Supreme Court's office look at my verification funny if it's an online CLE provider?
In terms of getting hours, no, as long as there aren't limits on how much you can do online.
That said, in person you'll generally learn more.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Jefepato posted:

Regarding CLE requirements, is there any reason not to do CLE classes via webinar/other online means?

I meet old trial lawyers at CLEs and try to seduce them with my youthful charm so they send me cases.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

I meet old trial lawyers at CLEs and try to seduce them with my youthful charm so they send me cases.

That's a good strategy - what's the ratio of blowjobs to client referrals?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

nm posted:

In terms of getting hours, no, as long as there aren't limits on how much you can do online.
That said, in person you'll generally learn more.

Its also a good excuse to get out of the office for a weekend or whatever.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yeah, I just got a 4 day weekend and a free trip to San Francisco (from socal) out of training. Yay!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

entris posted:

That's a good strategy - what's the ratio of blowjobs to client referrals?

So is this based on real life...? :stare:

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009

Jefepato posted:

will someone in the state bar association/state Supreme Court's office look at my verification funny if it's an online CLE provider?

No one cares if it is online and I'm pretty sure it is all on the honor system in Illinois anyway (i.e. no one will know they were online credits unless they audit you). There are also roughly 6 free CLE hours on the Illinois ARDC website you can watch as well. However, if you're newly admitted there is a specific intro course you need to do, so you'd only meet other newly admitted if you did it in person.

Only 20 more hours to go by the end of June for me.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

Jefepato posted:

In Nebraska we can only get about half of our hours through webinars and the like. As far behind as we usually are on these types of things, I assumed that every state had similar limits. Is that not true?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

urnisme posted:

In Nebraska we can only get about half of our hours through webinars and the like. As far behind as we usually are on these types of things, I assumed that every state had similar limits. Is that not true?

No, Minnesota does not have that limitation.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

No, Minnesota does not have that limitation.

Wisconsin doesn't either. I think they can reject them though if they don't think it applies. Minnesota did that to me once when I took a CLE sponsored by the WI Bar that MN didn't want to allow when I tried to use it there (I used to be admiited in both states). They eventually did but it was a hassle.

I'm inactive on my bar license now that I don't practice anymore, so I don't have to do CLEs. There's a motion in the WI Supreme Court to try to allow paralegal instructors in the state system to get credit for teaching like the law school professors get. If we do, then I might go back active again so I can so side stuff for family and friends. But I'm not paying for CLEs on my own.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
VA had no restrictions until this year, and now only half of CLE credits can come from muted youtube videos electronic media :(

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Last law school exam (Securities Regulation) in 30mins. Went through the E&E twice, did all the practice problems provided by the professor, and read over Law Review outlines 3 times a day. Probably just going to get a C, but I don't care.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

William Munny posted:

Last law school exam (Securities Regulation) in 30mins. Went through the E&E twice, did all the practice problems provided by the professor, and read over Law Review outlines 3 times a day. Probably just going to get a C, but I don't care.

Law school grading karma dictates the good grades will got to people who skipped every lecture and were thinking "What's a security?" about a week ago.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Seeing some of my contemporaries graduating made me reflect on my own near-miss with law school.

I started posting in this thread nearly four years ago when I thought I wanted to go to law school but didn't really know why or what being a lawyer meant or anything really. And because of the remonstrations contained herein I eventually turned down a full ride at a T-1 school and took a job instead.

It's now three years later. I've loved every minute of my job. It affords me incredible creativity, learning experiences, and wonderful grounded connection with real people. After taking a few classes paid for by work, last month I was admitted to a top masters program in my field, with full funding (tuition + stipend) so I don't need to borrow a dime. Best of all, work is giving me a sabbatical to complete it, with no strings attached, so I can come back if I want. Basically I'll spend the next year being paid to work on pathbreaking media policy research, get my masters from an elite university, and then can return to my beloved job if I so choose.

Literally every single day over the last three years I have thought, at least once, "thank god I didn't go to law school." So thank you, thread, for helping me make that decision. And to anyone else who is considering law school: don't go. There are other options. And often they are very awesome.

Petey fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 12, 2012

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Petey posted:

Seeing some of my contemporaries graduating made me reflect on my own near-miss with law school.

I started posting in this thread nearly four years ago when I thought I wanted to go to law school but didn't really know why or what being a lawyer meant or anything really. And because of the remonstrations contained herein I eventually turned down a full ride at a T-1 school and took a job instead.

It's now three years later. I've loved every minute of my job. It affords me incredible creativity, learning experiences, and wonderful grounded connection with real people. After taking a few classes paid for by work, last month I was admitted to a top masters program in my field, with full funding (tuition + stipend) so I don't need to borrow a dime. Best of all, work is giving me a sabbatical to complete it, with no strings attached, so I can come back if I want. Basically I'll spend the next year being paid to work on pathbreaking media policy research, get my masters from an elite university, and then can return to my beloved job if I so choose.

Literally every single day over the last three years I have thought, at least once, "thank god I didn't go to law school." So thank you, thread, for helping me make that decision. And to anyone else who is considering law school: don't go. There are other options. And often they are very awesome.

I am going to wear your skin, don't you see? You've done all the work for me; now I will step into your shoes very quite literally so and life... life will be amazing, the air so fresh, the light so bright... yes.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

tau posted:

I am going to wear your skin, don't you see? You've done all the work for me; now I will step into your shoes very quite literally so and life... life will be amazing, the air so fresh, the light so bright... yes.

All this post did was make me realize how much I miss Mookie

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
and yet, at the end of the day, you will always be something different from us, lacking rights of audience and never to be a qualified member of the legal community.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Petey posted:

Basically I'll spend the next year being paid to work on pathbreaking media policy research, get my masters from an elite university, and then can return to my beloved job if I so choose.

Where you going? And congrats, glad you're happy with the choice. I just graduated today and on the whole I enjoyed my time and I'm looking forward to work (not the bar but whatever) but we'll see how long this all lasts.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
DOONE with 1L! Is it worth doing the write-on?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Spoiler alert: It's not worth being done with 1L drop out now

flog montresor
May 10, 2008

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Yes, it is. You will not want to do it, and you will hate the person who created it, but do it anyway.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Colorblind Pilot posted:

At my school at least, more people beat themselves than actually completed the write-on and failed. Like 150 people picked up packets but only like 60 turned them in.

I went to kind of a poo poo school though so ymmv.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I've already finished law school as previously noted (bad idea, I know, I know), and I have no idea what you mean by "write-on."

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

William Munny posted:

Gunner

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Jefepato posted:

I've already finished law school as previously noted (bad idea, I know, I know), and I have no idea what you mean by "write-on."

At most schools if you don't get on law review via grades you can enter a writing competition to try to get on during 1L summer.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Petey posted:

petey can we start an internet business together again because our last one had a 20000% earnings ratio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Don't do it, it's a trick. If you do well, it means more work.