Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So in researching ways to root my Breakout I have come across the realization that I am easily confused by all the lingo and methods still. Having only rooted my Vortex before and more or less forgetting how the whole process goes I was looking for some help.

I've found a couple ways to root the phone I think. SuperOneClick, Pantech Breakout Root & CWM Recovery All in One, and Broken Out Rom 2.0 . I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these and or tips for me. I haven't started anything because I'd rather not get lost in the process and have to haphazardly backtrack through the steps to fix what I did/ will do wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Experto Crede posted:

Yes, though whether you won't get caught is another matter.

Do you have evidence of people being fired as customers from AT&T for doing this?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

revmoo posted:

Do you have evidence of people being fired as customers from AT&T for doing this?

Not that I can see, but people have been automatically signed up to a tethering plan (forgoing unlimited data if they have it) as a result.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
So I decided to flash a new rom for the first time in forever. Backed up my poo poo, booted into clockwork, wiped data, both caches, and installed the zip from SD (MIUI 2.5.4 ICS) and it just keeps booting into CWR. What did I do wrong?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

metachronos posted:

So I decided to flash a new rom for the first time in forever. Backed up my poo poo, booted into clockwork, wiped data, both caches, and installed the zip from SD (MIUI 2.5.4 ICS) and it just keeps booting into CWR. What did I do wrong?

What kind of phone and what ROM are you coming from?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Paramemetic posted:

What kind of phone and what ROM are you coming from?

Incredible 2, CM7.

I noticed when I installed MIUI from the zip it did not take long at all. I would think it would take longer but I'm not sure how I could gently caress it up.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

metachronos posted:

Incredible 2, CM7.

I noticed when I installed MIUI from the zip it did not take long at all. I would think it would take longer but I'm not sure how I could gently caress it up.

Maybe the package is incomplete on your phone? Did you md5 check it?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

rotaryfun posted:

Maybe the package is incomplete on your phone? Did you md5 check it?

How do I do that?

E: Figured it out, it appears they don't match.

E2: Redownloaded and got a matching sum, did the dance again, success!

metachronos fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 9, 2012

SouvlakiPlaystation
Jan 7, 2006

Ave Lucifer, baby
I read a post on another forum that SuperOneClick won't work with Gingerbread 2.3.6, which is what I have on my Galaxy S 4G. Any truth to this?

I thought about using this method:

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-root-and-unroot-samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-with-a-single-click/

but it seems outdated. It doesn't say anything about the S 4g or Gingerbread. Is there a reliable method for my setup? I'm not technical in the slightest and I don't want to bone my phone up. I just want to remove all the garbage applications Samsung decided I HAVE to have on my phone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Galaxy S 4G (T-Mobile) is a significantly different phone from the Galaxy S I9000, hell, even a Vibrant. There might be a device-specific one-click root for it, I'm not certain, as it's not a terribly popular device. However, one-click roots from other devices won't work on it and, at best, will soft-brick the thing.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I'm pretty confident that there will never be a fully working AOSP build for the Sensation. AOKP runs nicely, but the bugs that are there aren't fun to deal with (audio routing issues and YouTube playback.)

Sense 4.0 runs smoothly, and it's alright. Not as good as stock, but HTC doesn't vomit glitter all over the UI like with 3.6. There's even actual improvements, like ICS lockscreen controls working, and notifications on the lockscreen a la iOS. The one problem is that only the A2DP part of Bluetooth works. No headsets.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Godzilla07 posted:

I'm pretty confident that there will never be a fully working AOSP build for the Sensation. AOKP runs nicely, but the bugs that are there aren't fun to deal with (audio routing issues and YouTube playback.)

Sense 4.0 runs smoothly, and it's alright. Not as good as stock, but HTC doesn't vomit glitter all over the UI like with 3.6. There's even actual improvements, like ICS lockscreen controls working, and notifications on the lockscreen a la iOS. The one problem is that only the A2DP part of Bluetooth works. No headsets.

I've learned to live with a senseless mod of the euro ics release. I've looked forward to cm9 since Keyan teased it over Thanksgiving, but he hasn't released poo poo and the open sensation guy is only putting an hour in here and there on the weekends.

I'll buy my next phone after a dev community has dedicated themselves to it. The pyramid seemed like a sure thing last year...

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Kegwen posted:

Kindle Fire owners:

The unofficial AOKP port seems fantastic so far. Everything else I've used so far on the Fire has had some sort of issue (including no accelerated video on ICS for months), but so far this ROM is solid.

Any idea how it compares to the Gedemis rom? I've been on it for a week or so and it runs amazing.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone on a Galaxy Nexus running ParanoidAndoid? It's similar to that Tablet Mode romhack I "reviewed" a few months ago but there are a bunch of improvements, most notably the ability to set a custom DPI for all the apps on the phone. I'm tempted to try it out, but was wondering if anyone had tried it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

lelandjs posted:

Anyone on a Galaxy Nexus running ParanoidAndoid? It's similar to that Tablet Mode romhack I "reviewed" a few months ago but there are a bunch of improvements, most notably the ability to set a custom DPI for all the apps on the phone. I'm tempted to try it out, but was wondering if anyone had tried it.

Whoa, I like a couple of features that has going. The two-column thing, and the "merging" of the status bar and ICS buttons into one area...especially the latter. Yeah, it's only 1/8" of screen space saved, but it's my screen, drat it, and I want as much of it as possible!

I might try that out when I get my GNex...so, uh...sorry for being totally unhelpful? v:shobon:v

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrBouvenstein posted:

Whoa, I like a couple of features that has going. The two-column thing, and the "merging" of the status bar and ICS buttons into one area...especially the latter. Yeah, it's only 1/8" of screen space saved, but it's my screen, drat it, and I want as much of it as possible!

I might try that out when I get my GNex...so, uh...sorry for being totally unhelpful? v:shobon:v
I decided to bite the bullet and try it out. It's AWESOME.

Right now re-DPIing apps is done via a build.prop edit but at the end of the thread the dev posted a video demonstrating a GUI method.

IMHO it'll make for a great daily driver.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

lelandjs posted:

I decided to bite the bullet and try it out. It's AWESOME.

Right now re-DPIing apps is done via a build.prop edit but at the end of the thread the dev posted a video demonstrating a GUI method.

IMHO it'll make for a great daily driver.

Looks like an interesting project.

Especially hilarious to me is that it looks essentially like what Google had hoped to prevent by not releasing the HC source. Although I guess that was more to keep the major players from releasing phones with HC as opposed to AOSP developers, still kinda funny though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Every time I try and root my Breakout I always get stuck on "Waiting for device" from either SuperOneClick or the Pantech Root/ Unroot all in one.

Does anyone know any possible reasons? It is getting pretty frustrating and the ding dongs at the Android Forums really haven't been of much help.

e: when I get back from doing some poo poo around 8pm est I'll post what steps I have been following and where the trouble starts since what I posted isn't exactly helpful :)

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 10, 2012

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Rooted :D I missed a few steps because I'm the loving idiot with poor comprehension. Now I just gotta get a ROM and weeeeee!

e: one minor problem. I'm going to flash CWM Recovery and it wants my phone model. Well I assume it is a Breakout but it isn't listed and I have no idea which one on the list to choose :confused:

Commtiva Z71 (Boston, Blaze, and more)
Dell Streak
Geeksphone ONE
Huawei Ascend
Huawei Ascend 2
Huawei Pulse
Huawei Pulse Mini
Huawei U8220/ U8230
LGE Esteem
Micromax A70
Spice MI70 (Commtiva Link N700 and more)

and ideas? I'm gonna ask in the android phone thread too the might know maybe?

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 11, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MeinGott posted:

Rooted :D I missed a few steps because I'm the loving idiot with poor comprehension. Now I just gotta get a ROM and weeeeee!

e: one minor problem. I'm going to flash CWM Recovery and it wants my phone model. Well I assume it is a Breakout but it isn't listed and I have no idea which one on the list to choose :confused:

Commtiva Z71 (Boston, Blaze, and more)
Dell Streak
Geeksphone ONE
Huawei Ascend
Huawei Ascend 2
Huawei Pulse
Huawei Pulse Mini
Huawei U8220/ U8230
LGE Esteem
Micromax A70
Spice MI70 (Commtiva Link N700 and more)

and ideas? I'm gonna ask in the android phone thread too the might know maybe?
Is there a section on xda for it? There will be links to CWR builds there. I doubt it's supported by Koush so it won't appear in ROM Manager or on his site.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LastInLine posted:

Is there a section on xda for it? There will be links to CWR builds there. I doubt it's supported by Koush so it won't appear in ROM Manager or on his site.

I've looked at so many sites and of course I don't look there :doh:

So if I don't find any should I just choose one or just skip that step?

I'm not finding poo poo on XDA

Ok I did something really wrong every time I go to boot into CWR it keeps showing me the FASTBOOT!!! thing and nothing else :psyduck: the hell?!

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 11, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Just a word of general advice. Until you have plenty of time learning what roms are available and what their issues may be, it would probably be a good idea to just stick to pre-rooted stock roms. Get rid of the bloatware, get yourself LBE Security, maybe a nice root level file explorer (ES File Explorer is good), and call it a day.

After having spent lots of time flashing different roms and generally trying to help the community by sending logcats to developers, I've discovered that my sanity is better kept by just sticking to stock roms or ones by big development teams. You may or may not find this to be true for you, but it's something to consider.

Edit: You want to look here for Breakout related whatever.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Slopehead posted:

Just a word of general advice. Until you have plenty of time learning what roms are available and what their issues may be, it would probably be a good idea to just stick to pre-rooted stock roms. Get rid of the bloatware, get yourself LBE Security, maybe a nice root level file explorer (ES File Explorer is good), and call it a day.

After having spent lots of time flashing different roms and generally trying to help the community by sending logcats to developers, I've discovered that my sanity is better kept by just sticking to stock roms or ones by big development teams. You may or may not find this to be true for you, but it's something to consider.

Edit: You want to look here for Breakout related whatever.

Yeah that is where I got everything I think I just missed a step or two since I can no longer boot into CWM. I think I'm going to just call it a day and be happy I got the rooting done.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So, I'm losing my mind here.

I followed every direction I can find on how to install cyanogenmod7 on my nook color. And for everything I try, I can't get google apps to install.

Here's what I've tried:

Installing cyanogen 7.0.3, installing the suggested google apps rom.

Installing cyanogen, booting, getting on wifi, rebooting, installing google apps rom.

Same process with cyanogen 7.0.2.

Going back to 7.0.3, and attempting to manually install the google apps. (I failed. Though I think my next stunt is to grab google apps for the kindle fire..)

Going to 7.1.0, and trying to install the google apps for 7.0.3.

Installing the latest google apps as given to me by the people at XDA-dev, that matches 7.1.0.

And still no joy! The last thing I have to try is to install the apps/apks for the kindle fire.

Help!

EDIT: Well I got somewhere.

I installed the google services .apk that's intended for the kindle fire. I then installed google books. When I open books, It asks me to login to my google account. Sadly it seems to be unable to talk to googles servers, so the login reports it can't setup a reliable data connection.

Well.. at least it seems to be a step forward.

EDIT.. again: Doing better.

So, rebooting the device allowed the google services apk to finish it's install. I was then able to use google books to register my account. I went and downloaded the market.apk. It self upgraded to google play. But now it crashes as soon as it opens.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 11, 2012

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Nerobro posted:

So, I'm losing my mind here.

I followed every direction I can find on how to install cyanogenmod7 on my nook color. And for everything I try, I can't get google apps to install.

Here's what I've tried:

Installing cyanogen 7.0.3, installing the suggested google apps rom.

Installing cyanogen, booting, getting on wifi, rebooting, installing google apps rom.

Same process with cyanogen 7.0.2.

Going back to 7.0.3, and attempting to manually install the google apps. (I failed. Though I think my next stunt is to grab google apps for the kindle fire..)

Going to 7.1.0, and trying to install the google apps for 7.0.3.

Installing the latest google apps as given to me by the people at XDA-dev, that matches 7.1.0.

And still no joy! The last thing I have to try is to install the apps/apks for the kindle fire.

Help!

EDIT: Well I got somewhere.

I installed the google services .apk that's intended for the kindle fire. I then installed google books. When I open books, It asks me to login to my google account. Sadly it seems to be unable to talk to googles servers, so the login reports it can't setup a reliable data connection.

Well.. at least it seems to be a step forward.

EDIT.. again: Doing better.

So, rebooting the device allowed the google services apk to finish it's install. I was then able to use google books to register my account. I went and downloaded the market.apk. It self upgraded to google play. But now it crashes as soon as it opens.

Were you doing full wipes between these several installs?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yup, full wipes.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I am trying out the native wireless tethering available in the Virtuous Sense ROM.

Can T-Mobile detect this if I am browsing the web on my Nook Color? I mean it's a mobile browser....

Do they still block laptop browsers though? Or just IE?

Also Slopehead, I still owe you that beer.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
^I was going to ask a similar question as the one above. I have a rooted HTC Amaze on T-Mobile running the newly leaked stock ICS ROM. I would like to enable tethering somehow so I can occasionally transfer a file to my tablet. If I used it all the time I wouldn't have a problem paying for the higher tier plan, but I only have need once or twice a month to transfer over a 3MB pdf file when I am at work with no WI-FI access.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Tmobile has gotten better about being able to track tethering in the past few months but if you're very stingy about it and don't abuse their occasional lack of oversight, you should be okay.

If it's a serious concern I've heard good things about Koush's tethering app, but I have never used it and can't speak for its overall quality.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
They almost certainly won't get you for a small amount of tethering. I used to tether a fair amount on my phone due to travel for work to areas with no wi-fi, and I never got a notice, and I was averaging hundreds of megs a month for a while, but only for ~3 months or so, can't say if they would have noticed if I kept doing it.

Also, it was Sprint, not T-Mo, so there's that.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Well I'm talking about updating Google Reader on my Nook Color and reading a few blog posts in the car, not some heavy usage. And we're talking.... once a month maybe.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
You should be fine in most cases. When I moved last August I tethered through Virtuous Sense for like, two weeks and blew through 2.8gb just nerding out on the forums. Never had a problem even then.

But really, the discussion over legality of tethering, the stupidity of cost and whatnot is best left to carrier specific threads.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I've tethered a lot but it's almost entirely been tethering my android tablet to an Android phone, so I think they can't really pick that up. On AT&T for what it's worth.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Nerobro posted:

Yup, full wipes.

I'm baffled. I only had an NC for a few months, and I know my first boot on NC took a few restarts til it finally booted, but I never had the same problem on any other rom or when I went back to CM7. Did you get it working? If the market apk doesn't work, I'd say try a full wipe again and keep trying to flash the latest gingerbread gapps.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

well in the last two hours, I did get it working. It was an incompatibility between the CM7 and GAPP packages I was choosing. I went to a "known working" set. And then after gettting the thing bootstrapped into the googleverse I installed the later cm7 over the previous install.

It works great now. :-)

The trick is 7.0.2 and gapps 20110307

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So does anybody know what would be preventing me from rebooting into recovery? I literally cannot find anything regarding it online. All I get when I try and reboot into recovery is:

ANDROID Development Mode!!!

FASTBOOT!!!

:( what did I dooooo. I can't do anything while in it and I always have to pull the battery to get out of it.

e: just tried to flash a rom and it went to the CWM boot screen but it was so quick I didn't get to read what it did. I don't think I'm going to worry about this too much anymore. I really just wanted to remove bloatware and poo poo maybe to some extra customizing but I think I'll live without it :)

Not like I think I really have a choice anymore :negative:

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 12, 2012

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

MeinGott posted:

So does anybody know what would be preventing me from rebooting into recovery? I literally cannot find anything regarding it online. All I get when I try and reboot into recovery is:

ANDROID Development Mode!!!

FASTBOOT!!!

:( what did I dooooo. I can't do anything while in it and I always have to pull the battery to get out of it.

e: just tried to flash a rom and it went to the CWM boot screen but it was so quick I didn't get to read what it did. I don't think I'm going to worry about this too much anymore. I really just wanted to remove bloatware and poo poo maybe to some extra customizing but I think I'll live without it :)

Not like I think I really have a choice anymore :negative:
adb reboot recovery

Or just install rom manager and flash clockwork recovery again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MeinGott posted:

So does anybody know what would be preventing me from rebooting into recovery?

Civil posted:

adb reboot recovery
This will work if the recovery is flashed correctly.

Civil posted:

Or just install rom manager and flash clockwork recovery again.
You can't do this if the recovery isn't in ROM Manager. Check the recovery you downloaded and reflash it in fastboot.

Edit: Are you beginning to see why you don't buy phones made by a company no one's ever heard of?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 12, 2012

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
Does the stock ICS browser/webkit choke up, ie laggy scrolling on all ics phones, or is it because my Bionic doesn't have functioning HW Accel on ICS roms yet?

I noticed the GB browser can be slow on certain sites as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Android sucks at browsers.