Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Geekner posted:

One known issue:
The first time you run it after installing, it'll act a bit odd until you back out of the app and open it again. :iiam:

I take it you're referring to the icons for the sub-forums not showing up until you exit and go back in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I take it you're referring to the icons for the sub-forums not showing up until you exit and go back in?

Nah, I know about that issue. The oddness I'm referring to is the titlebar not showing properly and some buttons can't be clicked. It's really odd and only happened the very first time it's run.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Just noticed that Be Weather Pro is only 99c right now.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweather

Well worth picking up. If you're using the free version it seems this is a newer build, better supports tablets, landscape screens and ICS. Uses Weather Underground for forecasts. Arguably the best Android weather app.

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006

Red Warrior posted:

Well worth picking up. If you're using the free version it seems this is a newer build, better supports tablets, landscape screens and ICS. Uses Weather Underground for forecasts. Arguably the best Android weather app.

Great find! I've been debating picking this up for a bit now, but at a buck its a steal.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So samsung finally released ICS for the galaxy s2, but there's still no way to change the order of apps within folders. Anyone have a work around?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

So samsung finally released ICS for the galaxy s2, but there's still no way to change the order of apps within folders. Anyone have a work around?
Use a different launcher?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

LastInLine posted:

Use a different launcher?

Any suggestions? I'm assuming Launcher Pro hasn't been updated (last one I used)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yes, either Apex or Nova Launcher should help alleviate that problem.

Edit: Both also have a more modern style than Samsungs Gingerbread UI.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Healbot posted:

Yes, either Apex or Nova Launcher should help alleviate that problem.

Edit: Both also have a more modern style than Samsungs Gingerbread UI.

Thanks, I like the look of Nova :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Thanks, I like the look of Nova :)
I'm using the paid version of Nova and the only feature I'm really missing is the ability to overlap widgets (which the paid version of Apex has).

Other than that they both appear and function nearly identically.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Screw folders, use circle launcher.

(can't rearrange the order of apps though :negative: )

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

syncmypix Play Market

Thanks. Worked great.

Just out of curiosity, where does it store these pics? Is it in the \data folder for the app or does it store it somewhere in the contacts app of ICS?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Where does Google Music save your music for offline use? Quickly digging around ES File Explorer I couldn't find anything.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Did Ice Cream Sandwich remove the ability to send contact information via sms or am I imagining that I was able to natively do it in past version?

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

Lizard Combatant posted:

the Skyrocket?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Any ideas why I can't connect to my phone from my laptop any more?

Airdroid, Lazydroid and SwiFTP - none of them will connect any more. I tried on a different laptop with the same result (I haven't tried a different wifi network yet though). I don't know what else to check.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

LastInLine posted:

I'm using the paid version of Nova and the only feature I'm really missing is the ability to overlap widgets (which the paid version of Apex has).

Other than that they both appear and function nearly identically.

Actually thanks for that, overlapping widgets would solve a desktop design issue I have. Apex it is.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004
Why does the link in the awful betamax description say it's for https://www.somethingisawful.com Is that a mistake or is it to mislead non-goons?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

Where does Google Music save your music for offline use? Quickly digging around ES File Explorer I couldn't find anything.

I don't remember where it saves it, but it saves the file names as random numbers. It's not like you can save a song for offline use and then play it in a different music player. You can, but there's no way to know which song is which

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

fudsak posted:

Why does the link in the awful betamax description say it's for https://www.somethingisawful.com Is that a mistake or is it to mislead non-goons?
Just an obscure inside joke.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1481

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fudsak posted:

There was a thing ages ago where a goon went on some TV show to talk about the forums and he kept on saying the name wrong on purpose. Maybe it's a reference to that.

edit: here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

fuf posted:

There was a thing ages ago where a goon went on some TV show to talk about the forums and he kept on saying the name wrong on purpose. Maybe it's a reference to that.

edit: here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

lol, I never knew this existed and it's awesome. Thanks for linking it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Lblitzer posted:

Android/data/com.Google.Android.music/cache

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
What is the best pay navigation app available? I want something that lets you download maps for use when you don't have cell signal, and voice turn by turn directions. Optional abilities to be able to just punch in the name of place if I don't have the address and traffic info would be nice as well, but not required.

I tried Co-Pilot premium but it was having trouble getting a GPS lock, even though every other GPS based app had no problems at all. It also didn't seem to be giving me any voice directions either, I purposely deviated from a route and it didn't say poo poo, and didn't appear to change the route at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Porkchop Express posted:

What is the best pay navigation app available? I want something that lets you download maps for use when you don't have cell signal, and voice turn by turn directions. Optional abilities to be able to just punch in the name of place if I don't have the address and traffic info would be nice as well, but not required.

I tried Co-Pilot premium but it was having trouble getting a GPS lock, even though every other GPS based app had no problems at all. It also didn't seem to be giving me any voice directions either, I purposely deviated from a route and it didn't say poo poo, and didn't appear to change the route at all.

I don't know the direct answer for your question, but in case you didn't know you can tell Google Maps to cache areas you specify for offline navigation.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Which is awesome, but is there any way to tell it "Hey, thanks for caching those tiles but could you please stop showing the fat dark blue border around each spot?"

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I first tried using google maps as a navigation tool, but I am not a fan of using it when I am driving in the car. If I am walking somewhere or need to find a bus to take its my goto app, but for in-car navigation it doesn't cut it for me. But that is good to know.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Porkchop Express posted:

I first tried using google maps as a navigation tool, but I am not a fan of using it when I am driving in the car. If I am walking somewhere or need to find a bus to take its my goto app, but for in-car navigation it doesn't cut it for me. But that is good to know.

Again...just in case you don't know...Maps has a navigation mode apart from its regular map you scroll around view.

It looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGXIoSPGqE4

I only bring this up because your wording kind of implies that maybe you didn't know this and GMaps navigation is widely praised as a good navigation tool.

If you know that and it doesn't meet your needs, maybe you could say what about it you didn't like so that people can make recommendations for apps that address those issues.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

Which is awesome, but is there any way to tell it "Hey, thanks for caching those tiles but could you please stop showing the fat dark blue border around each spot?"

Menu->Clear map. Outlines go away, but it keeps the area(s) cached until you dig into the settings and delete them individually.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Red Warrior posted:

Am I dumb or something because I can't figure out how to add widgets with this. I drag the 4x2 from the app tray to an open area, it opens up a settings window to configure the widget, I configure it. Now the only thing left to do is either hit back up on the top left (ICS) or hit Home, neither of which completes the widget on the homescreen.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Cool, thanks! That won't clear my starred locations, will it? :ohdear:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know the direct answer for your question, but in case you didn't know you can tell Google Maps to cache areas you specify for offline navigation.

Don't rely on it though, I found that the cached map tiles get wiped from time to time, for instance when the Google app receives updates.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 11, 2012

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Again...just in case you don't know...Maps has a navigation mode apart from its regular map you scroll around view.

It looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGXIoSPGqE4

I only bring this up because your wording kind of implies that maybe you didn't know this and GMaps navigation is widely praised as a good navigation tool.

If you know that and it doesn't meet your needs, maybe you could say what about it you didn't like so that people can make recommendations for apps that address those issues.

Yes I know about the navigation app, but it's been a while since I last used it. I seem to remember that it continually freezed on me, which granted might have been because my old phone was a piece of junk. However it seems that having maps cache tiles could be kind of a pain in the rear end. I mean sure I guess I could search an area ahead of time, but if I go somewhere not planned and I can't get a signal, then I am back where I started. I would much rather an app that just lets you download the entire state of california and have it chilling out on my phone.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Am I dumb or something because I can't figure out how to add widgets with this. I drag the 4x2 from the app tray to an open area, it opens up a settings window to configure the widget, I configure it. Now the only thing left to do is either hit back up on the top left (ICS) or hit Home, neither of which completes the widget on the homescreen.

Er I dunno that should do it, I just hit back after adding and setting up the widget. Can you run the app?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Red Warrior posted:

Er I dunno that should do it, I just hit back after adding and setting up the widget. Can you run the app?

Yeah, the app itself runs fine (very nice looking and informative I might add. The radar stuff is slick). It just refuses to add widgets. :-/

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Porkchop Express posted:

I would much rather an app that just lets you download the entire state of california and have it chilling out on my phone.

CoPilot Live is awesome for this. I hate the caching crap in navigation too, and I was going to be in Canada without cell service for two weeks, so I did some digging around and CoPilot Live did exactly what I wanted. For $20 I got full USA/Canada navigation, with maps pre-downloaded to my phone.

But for the record, Google Navigation is a million times better than it was when it first launched. Give it another shot. I prefer it when I have a cellular connection.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to make the Gmail app show html emails zoomed all the way out? I'd rather see the entire thing fit to the screen and zoom into what I want to see more clearly, rather than pan around.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there a way to make the Gmail app show html emails zoomed all the way out? I'd rather see the entire thing fit to the screen and zoom into what I want to see more clearly, rather than pan around.

Not yet: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15745

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Not sure if there's an app for this or whether it is generally doable or not.

Is there a way to set my notification noises (SMS in particular, but maybe email or others too) to play a random mp3 from a selected folder? I like the idea of mixing up the messages I receive a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If nothing else, you could number the MP3s and use Tasker to do that.

• Locked thread