Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

doctor 7 posted:

Continuing with trying to subtly make photos look a bit more flattering I took this snapshot while away with my folks for the weekend.

IMG_4517 by Aidan R, on Flickr

And what the hell, I'll toss this one up from my trip previous:

IMG_4453 by Aidan R, on Flickr
You've successfully made your mom look great, but if you wanted it to be flattering for your dad you caught him at the worst possible time. Chin down and looking really disinterested.

The shot of the boat is great, and there's really nothing I'd change.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Here are some parking lots.

Of the three, I think the first is the weakest. It doesn't interest me as much as the other ones for some reason, and I think the busy background with all the trees makes it feel out of place compared to the other two.

These three are me trying to get back into large format, and portraits are not something I usually do.

olle gustafsson 2 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

aina gustafsson by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

goat skull by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

sensy v2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

sensy v2.0 posted:

Of the three, I think the first is the weakest. It doesn't interest me as much as the other ones for some reason, and I think the busy background with all the trees makes it feel out of place compared to the other two.

I can see that one being out of place with the other two, certainly. What about in a series with more pictures of parking lots, where the lots themselves rather than the surroundings are more clearly the subject? What I like about that first one is the three different tones of asphalt...

sensy v2.0 posted:

These three are me trying to get back into large format, and portraits are not something I usually do.

olle gustafsson 2 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

aina gustafsson by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

goat skull by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

The first two are great as environmental portraits. I wish there were just a little less clutter on the seat behind your grandfather, and I wish your grandmother were standing a little further back, in the same place as your grandfather was, so her hands wouldn't be cut off. The pictures work better individually than together because of this, I think.

Watch your highlights. The skull looks pretty blown out. Bad scan, or is the negative blocked up in the highlights?

8th-samurai posted:

Here is another one from my city in color series:

Normally I hate this kind of color cast, but here it just makes me think of golden hour on a day where there's a cloud cover that happens to be open where the sun is setting, so you get a certain kind of light bouncing off the bottom of the clouds in addition to the normal golden hour light. I really dig how the crane is lined up with the power lines - it's hard to find ways to manage the presence of power lines in urban landscapes and you did it here.

HookShot posted:

Louvre by hookshot88, on Flickr

If only the benches were straight in that last one :smith:

The one of the museum guard is about perfect. This reminds me of JaundiceDave's series about people interacting with art, except because he's there all the time, to this guard the art is so mundane. The only thing I'd change would be to crop top and left so the painting runs all the way into the corner.

----------------

I've been shooting some color negs too. I haven't forgotten about you my sweet Portra...

I had trouble with this last one - I wanted to show the emptiness of this subdivision without including too much sky, but now I feel it's a little too wide. Thoughts?

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 11, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In that first one, the pole with two different light fixtures really makes it.

It's like one of those "find the thing that does not belong" puzzles, but it's right there clear as day.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

HookShot posted:

I don't really know how I feel about this one. I like how the people contrast against the concrete, but I feel that there is nothing specific to lead me into the picture. I would try to crop the top so that the man on the right stands more isolated.

HookShot posted:

I like this one best, easy. I really like it. As a nitpick: I would have personally preferred a head-on perspective, so that the picture frame doesn't lead you out to the left, but of course I'm not sure if that would have been possible with the guard and the brief time you had to take this picture.

HookShot posted:

I like this one too, nice central composition balanced out by the guard to the left. Shame about the chairs. Also I would probably dodge the guard a tiny bit, making him a little bit more apparent.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

This owns, hard. Strikes all the right notes. The curves all even out giving it this wonderful sense of balance. I'm super picky about verticals but this is drat well done.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Compostionally this is nice. The light really lets the scene down though. The cold cast doesn't really add to the mood in a positive way. I think it would look great maybe with sunrise on the side of the building. Maybe straighten out that leaning power pole too.

MrBlandAverage posted:

I had trouble with this last one - I wanted to show the emptiness of this subdivision without including too much sky, but now I feel it's a little too wide. Thoughts?

I think you are right, too wide. The looming foreground just doesn't work here. I think the most natural way to show emptiness is in a straight on manner. Using wide angle tricks always makes it look exaggerated and that doesn't always work. A more matter-of-fact shot closer to the the houses might give you what you are looking for.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

I think you are right, too wide. The looming foreground just doesn't work here. I think the most natural way to show emptiness is in a straight on manner. Using wide angle tricks always makes it look exaggerated and that doesn't always work. A more matter-of-fact shot closer to the the houses might give you what you are looking for.

100% agree. There's far too much empty space in the frame and it makes the image more about the pavement than anything else.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Okay here's a bunch of my shots. I'm still learning the compositional ropes and especially so for 6x6, so I'd like to hear a lot of that. Comments on my processing are also appreciated.
All images can be clicked for hugeness. (2k x 2k)

I was actually trying to get some flare from the setting sun - didnt't work. Still like it, although I noticed that the wheel is cropped. Dang. Like the mood of the light.

Took this on my way home from another shoot, which didn't turn out. Also have a version without car, but I like this one better. I enjoy the railing and the segmentation between light/dark.

No people photos from me this time. Took this on the fire escape of a tall building when I was shooting a cityscape which didn't come out. (Notice a pattern?) Like the color and the simple geometry in this one.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

MrBlandAverage posted:

I can see that one being out of place with the other two, certainly. What about in a series with more pictures of parking lots, where the lots themselves rather than the surroundings are more clearly the subject? What I like about that first one is the three different tones of asphalt...
Yeah, I understand that the lots themselves are supposed to be the subject, but the second two feels more connected. The first one I think could be great with all the cracks and different tones, but as it is now something feels off.

MrBlandAverage posted:

The first two are great as environmental portraits. I wish there were just a little less clutter on the seat behind your grandfather, and I wish your grandmother were standing a little further back, in the same place as your grandfather was, so her hands wouldn't be cut off. The pictures work better individually than together because of this, I think.
Thanks. And yeah, they're not really supposed to be a set or anything.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Watch your highlights. The skull looks pretty blown out. Bad scan, or is the negative blocked up in the highlights?
It's a different film, Fomapan 100 instead of T-Max 400. I'm struggling to make Fomapan look good. It gets too contrasty on basically all my shots so I might have to change how I develop them.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

No people photos from me this time. Took this on the fire escape of a tall building when I was shooting a cityscape which didn't come out. (Notice a pattern?) Like the color and the simple geometry in this one.

I like this one. Abstraction is easy to do but hard to do well. This really takes some fairly mundane aspects of a modern building and elevates them to something more.

VomitOnLino posted:

Took this on my way home from another shoot, which didn't turn out. Also have a version without car, but I like this one better. I enjoy the railing and the segmentation between light/dark.

This one has potential but looks a bit sloppy to me. The guard rail down the center leads your eye straight through the photo which just doesn't work for me with all the eye catching lights elsewhere. My gaze just pinballs around the photo. I think a few steps to the right would have worked better giving the interesting parts more harmony.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

Maybe get closer to the houses and put them in the foreground and use the wideness of the lens to show the emptiness around it?

VomitOnLino posted:

I agree with 8th-Samurai about the guard rail down the middle. Moving to the right and having the road/guard rail move more across the frame rather than straight to the middle might be nice?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Thanks MrBlandAverage and VomitOnLino for the crits. You're both SO RIGHT about the uneven benches. I had about a 5 second window of that room being completely empty except for the guard, and I really wished I'd had the time to straighten them.

I'll play with the cropping for 1 and 2 as well for sure. I think you're right about the angle of the dude, I just really wanted to get the fact that he was playing with his phone in the shot, and from the front his knee was blocking it, but in retrospect I probably should have gone front-on anyways.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

I want to like this more, but one of the bars on the ladder cage almost perfectly lines up with the edge of the building and compresses things a bit too much for my taste. Did you take any pictures of the same subject, maybe sitting more towards the right? I'd also like to see the verticals a little straighter for a subject like this.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Here's a few I took on a trip to Switzerland and exclusively used an X100:

Artistically Placed Tree by Cacator, on Flickr

Clock Tower Graffiti by Cacator, on Flickr

Stechelberg by Cacator, on Flickr

Alps by Cacator, on Flickr

Clouds over Luzern by Cacator, on Flickr

The last one I'm having trouble with, don't know if it is exposed too little or if I should convert it to black and white or if something less blue would work better.

HookShot posted:

I usually like taking shots like this at art museums and did at the Kunsthaus in Zurich, but I can't really explain why, if it's just the aesthetics or the way space is used in a museum or what. Not really a critique, but how would you describe it?

Cacator fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 12, 2012

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Cacator posted:

This is pretty boring. Central composition, and it's just a picture of someone else's art. Fair enough if you're documenting street art, but as a photo it doesn't stand on its own.

quote:

This seems underexposed to me. I understand you had to to get the god ray in as much detail as you did, but I'd be tempted to draw an exposure gradient across the bottom left of the picture to lighten it up. Either that or darken it completely so it's just a silhouette against the sky.

131/366 - Sunset on the beach by fuglsnef, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Trying out slides at night, metering is a little tricker than with print film.

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 12, 2012

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dukeku posted:

I think this works rather well in creating an almost miniaturized and cartoonish feel. This seems like it came out of a magical-realist children's book.

dukeku posted:

This doesn't sit as well with me, it seems stuck in between two different treatments. If the lighting were more uniform in intesity we could focus on the scene as landscape, and if it were simply much stronger in contrast it would assume a more graphic form, emphasizing the depth of the strip of color.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

David Pratt posted:

This is pretty boring. Central composition, and it's just a picture of someone else's art. Fair enough if you're documenting street art, but as a photo it doesn't stand on its own.

Understandable, I guess I can crop closer to push it to the left.

quote:

This seems underexposed to me. I understand you had to to get the god ray in as much detail as you did, but I'd be tempted to draw an exposure gradient across the bottom left of the picture to lighten it up. Either that or darken it completely so it's just a silhouette against the sky.

Went with the former and added the gradient. Thanks for the input.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 12, 2012

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Reichstag posted:

I'm a sucker for power lines, and I like this, but the composition makes me think that maybe it wasn't supposed to be the focus of the shot?

dukeku posted:

I love both of these. The top one has like a menacing evil playground feel. The bottom one just has amazing color and I love the exposure. Is the sky clipped to black in the bottom image, or is that a really dark blue?

Side note:

I figured out all my color issues and can now actually post something that looks like it did in Lightroom.

20120425-482.jpg by tijag, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

dukeku posted:

I actually disagree with Reichstag, I prefer the 2nd one, it is just a bit "cleaner". The light in both is awesome though.

Cacator posted:

Here's a few I took on a trip to Switzerland and exclusively used an X100:

I think the the horizon should be lower in the frame. And maybe you could have got down closer to the flowers, that would make the tree appear larger.

tijag posted:

I figured out all my color issues and can now actually post something that looks like it did in Lightroom.

20120425-482.jpg by tijag, on Flickr
The light rays and the colour gradient are fantastic. The clouds at the top are a bit harsh though and the highlights are blown. I'd be tempted to crop them out.

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 12, 2012

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Hotwax Residue posted:

I think the the horizon should be lower in the frame. And maybe you could have got down closer to the flowers, that would make the tree appear larger.
Divided it more into thirds:

Would a center crop work as well?

Chidona
Apr 1, 2011

Reichstag posted:

The first one is technically sound, and almost works, but I'm struggling to connect to the guy. I ask myself 'what's he thinking?' and all I get in return is 'man, motorbike'. It might also have helped to bring in the motorbike itself a little more as well, although having it implied isn't exactly a disaster.

The second, for me, doesn't really work because of the bottom third of the photo. I like the crazy overhead lines, but the bottom third is like 'so what?'.

These photos I took a couple of weeks ago, but I've been super busy and posting them slipped my mind:

DSC02058.jpg by chidona, on Flickr

DSC02017.jpg by chidona, on Flickr

And this is an attempt at abstraction:

DSC02152.jpg by chidona, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cacator posted:

Would a center crop work as well?
A quick a dirty crop in Paint says no to my eyes. I think what you have there is framed well enough.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Chidona posted:

This one is kinda cool. At first I was going to suggest cropping out some of the black at the bottom but after looking at it a little more, I decided I liked it. I wish there was just a bit more punch to the sky.

Chidona posted:

Sorry but this doesn't do anything for me.

Chidona posted:

This is my favorite of the 3. It looks just enough like an ocean horizon to give the mind something to grab onto but it is abstract enough to make me wonder weather it was taken on a beach or not.

Cacator posted:

I like this crop. Love the mountains in the background.

dukeku posted:

Completely agree that this looks like an illustration in a children's book. I like this better than the other you posted.

dukeku posted:

I wish there was something else there instead of a dumpster.

VomitOnLino posted:

Really like this photo. The colors and the light work well together to give it a nice pop. I think a flare would have made it just another hipster pic of a bike. Or maybe not, who knows.

Visited the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jersualem (supposedly where Jesus was crucified and was resurrected).

_MG_2202-150 by spf3million, on Flickr

What's left of the J-man's tomb.

_MG_2215-153 by spf3million, on Flickr

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

This is awesome- the processing works really well with the subject. I like how are no obvious pieces of modern technology in the frame; it looks like it could easily have been taken forty years ago. For some reason the hat on the right side kind of perfects it for me.

I spent the day shooting ships at the port...not sure if I'm happy with any of the results though.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 13, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Augmented Dickey posted:

I spent the day shooting ships at the port...not sure if I'm happy with any of the results though.

The first one seems flat and, well, it's a big boat. Maybe a longer shot of the aftercastle (I think that's what the structure on the stern is called)? I get the feeling that there's a lot of detail in there that I'd like to see, like a miniature city.

I like the second shot quite a bit. I might be the minority but I think the amount of sky is a touch overpowering. The cloud detail is great but I get lost in it and dismiss the tug and that very nice water texture.

--

I need to get out of the drat suburbs. I feel like I've hit a creativity black hole. :( I don't think I know how to shoot architecture and I'm pretty sure I took the second one just to take something.

untitled by jankyangles, on Flickr

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

sensy v2.0 posted:

You've successfully made your mom look great, but if you wanted it to be flattering for your dad you caught him at the worst possible time. Chin down and looking really disinterested.

The shot of the boat is great, and there's really nothing I'd change.
Thanks it was pretty much just a snap shot over breakfast which is probably why my father looks completely disinterested.

Saint Fu posted:

Visited the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jersualem (supposedly where Jesus was crucified and was resurrected).

These are both loving stellar. I honestly don't know what to say other than drat fine work. Composition works, exposure is spot on, colour looks a bit dulled (I don't know if you did anything in regards to it) but it looks just right for the photos. Really well done.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm not very good at critiquing abstract stuff so take this with a gain of salt. I think they both work, they're interesting to look at, especially the sharp sunlight colour difference on the first, but I don't really have anything else to add. They just illicit a "hmm neat" reaction from me, rather than blowing my mind. But, as I said, I'm not one for more abstract stuff so someone else can probably offer a better critique.

I'm trying to expand from shooting people and whatnot so I went on a bit of a hike today and took a few photos. This is the only one I like. I've never tried taking pictures of poo poo I see in the woods, or processing greenery before, so any tips would be appreciated no matter how basic.

IMG_4906 by Aidan R, on Flickr

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 13, 2012

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I like the second shot quite a bit. I might be the minority but I think the amount of sky is a touch overpowering. The cloud detail is great but I get lost in it and dismiss the tug and that very nice water texture

Thanks for the input! Here's another shot along those lines but with more of an emphasis on the water detail. Not sure if I went too far in the other direction this time around.

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7215/7185789684_ae36fb80a1_c_d.jpg][/img]

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 13, 2012

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

doctor 7 posted:

I'm trying to expand from shooting people and whatnot so I went on a bit of a hike today and took a few photos. This is the only one I like. I've never tried taking pictures of poo poo I see in the woods, or processing greenery before, so any tips would be appreciated no matter how basic.

It's a nice shot with good composition, colors, and processing but kinda boring. No fault of your own but most shots in the woods will be. When I started posting in CC/dorkroom in 08 Confused Us had a good quote with any shot with 2/3rds of it green (in a forest) will probably be a bad idea. It's certainly not always right but I've followed it as a rule of thumb where I could.

MrBlandAverage posted:

cyan/red balance might need a lil adjusting - at least on firefox for my monitor.

My desktop for editing is dead so these are straight jpegs from my camera. I'll get around to editing them when I get my motherboard back from ASUS. :argh:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

David Pratt posted:

131/366 - Sunset on the beach by fuglsnef, on Flickr

I really like this shot. It's quite nice, I just wish it was a little bit lighter. Do you have a tripod? If you'd done a long exposure to smooth out the water I think it would have been fantastic. But basically, the lack of detail in the rocks and sand detracts from the picture. You could always bracket exposures if you were worried about too much light from the sunset. That said, I really like the composition of it, looks fantastic!

Sant'Ignazius by hookshot88, on Flickr

Fontana di Trevi by hookshot88, on Flickr

Pantheon by hookshot88, on Flickr

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Saint Fu posted:

Absolutely fantastic! The second one is really really good.

Something I noticed about the first one: The little hanging lamps seem to be a bit overexposed - especially the top right and top left ones (but mostly the top right one). I wouldn't say that detracts from the awesomeness of it, though :)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

guidoanselmi posted:

The reflection in her left eye (photo right) looks extremely odd. Makes her look like that eye is looking in the wrong direction.

chidona posted:

These photos I took a couple of weeks ago, but I've been super busy and posting them slipped my mind:

Not sure the pure black at the bottom is a net positive. I like the 4x6 crop factor, but it's dragging my eye to the bottom of the shot.

quote:

I see why you liked it (see my running shot below). It has great, strong colors, but... I think you may overestimate your emotional attachment to it, because it's just a center composed shot of some kid's back. Neither action nor interest.

quote:

And this is an attempt at abstraction:

I like it, and as an abstract is just that, have nothing further to say.

Three from me:

Rat Snake3 by torgeaux, on Flickr

The Boy's First Race:

Not Even Touching the Ground by torgeaux, on Flickr

Start of the Race2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Edit:

As suggested.

Start of the Race3 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 13, 2012

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

torgeaux posted:

That old guy up front with all the kids is pretty great. I can imagine him pushing kids out of the way up to the front of the line so he could start in front. I think it would be better if you cropped out the top and sides so it was a little closer up on the runners and you couldn't see how many people there are actually are. It'd make it looks more impressive I think.

guidoanselmi posted:

Gotta agree about the eye :downs:

doctor 7 posted:

These are both loving stellar. I honestly don't know what to say other than drat fine work. Composition works, exposure is spot on, colour looks a bit dulled (I don't know if you did anything in regards to it) but it looks just right for the photos. Really well done.

Thanks. For yours I'd start by posting bigger photos, tough to critique what you can't see. That goes for a bunch of you. There's a ton of great detail on that stump but I can't see it when you share a medium flickr link. I think the whole right side doesn't do much for you. I'm looking at the original size on flickr and when the stump takes up about half of the screen, it looks interesting. Maybe try a tighter crop?

HookShot posted:

I'll see your God ray

_MG_2229-151 by spf3million, on Flickr

I spent a ton of time editing out a thing in the middle of the room. Could you tell if I hadn't said anything?

_MG_2229 by spf3million, on Flickr

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

guidoanselmi posted:

It's a nice shot with good composition, colors, and processing but kinda boring. No fault of your own but most shots in the woods will be. When I started posting in CC/dorkroom in 08 Confused Us had a good quote with any shot with 2/3rds of it green (in a forest) will probably be a bad idea. It's certainly not always right but I've followed it as a rule of thumb where I could.
You know that's a great rule of thumb. Thanks for the tip. Glad the post work seemed to work out OK.

torgeaux posted:

Rat Snake3 by torgeaux, on Flickr

The Boy's First Race:

Not Even Touching the Ground by torgeaux, on Flickr

For the snake I think it could work but you missed the focus. I'd like to see the snake completely in focus. Did you, by chance, take another one at a smaller aperture?

That's your kid right? He's cute but I don't have much to add because it's probably more of a personal shot than a serious photo. That said it's snapped at a good moment in time but I'm wondering if a different angle might help a tad. Maybe closer to the ground or even more of a profile shot, the fact he's mid-air doesn't really pop out at you.

For the final one I'd say you should either crop it in more to lose the photographer on the right and the stray arm on the left or, if you did crop it, uncrop it a bit so you can see the full camera man. It's a good photo and I wouldn't be surprised if you sent it to a local paper they'd print it on their front page.

Tried something new, again, with longer night time exposures which I haven't tried until last night. I took another and though I liked the processing I couldn't get it to look remotely even due to the angle at which I shot it. So these are two that I liked.

IMG_4927 by Aidan R, on Flickr

IMG_4932 by Aidan R, on Flickr

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 13, 2012

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

doctor 7 posted:

You know that's a great rule of thumb. Thanks for the tip. Glad the post work seemed to work out OK.

For the snake I think it could work but you missed the focus. I'd like to see the snake completely in focus. Did you, by chance, take another one at a smaller aperture?

That's your kid right? He's cute but I don't have much to add because it's probably more of a personal shot than a serious photo. That said it's snapped at a good moment in time but I'm wondering if a different angle might help a tad. Maybe closer to the ground or even more of a profile shot, the fact he's mid-air doesn't really pop out at you.

For the final one I'd say you should either crop it in more to lose the photographer on the right and the stray arm on the left or, if you did crop it, uncrop it a bit so you can see the full camera man. It's a good photo and I wouldn't be surprised if you sent it to a local paper they'd print it on their front page.

Tried something new, again, with longer night time exposures which I haven't tried until last night. I took another and though I liked the processing I couldn't get it to look remotely even due to the angle at which I shot it. So these are two that I liked.

IMG_4927 by Aidan R, on Flickr

IMG_4932 by Aidan R, on Flickr

Snake was shot at f/4, widest I could get, because of the shading. I was just a few inches out, leaning in, so lots of camera shake. The head is pretty focused, but my smaller apertures were just blurry.

Yeah, the boy is a shot I like, but like my criticism of Chidona, it's tough to separate how much you like the photo because of how you feel for the subject.

Changed the race shot.

On yours: The first one the angle is great, and it's a shot I can really like. The second one, I want to like more, because the shop has a great feel. I think the not quite straight on, not quite angled shot hurts it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

torgeaux posted:

Snake was shot at f/4, widest I could get, because of the shading. I was just a few inches out, leaning in, so lots of camera shake. The head is pretty focused, but my smaller apertures were just blurry.

Yeah, the boy is a shot I like, but like my criticism of Chidona, it's tough to separate how much you like the photo because of how you feel for the subject.

Changed the race shot.

On yours: The first one the angle is great, and it's a shot I can really like. The second one, I want to like more, because the shop has a great feel. I think the not quite straight on, not quite angled shot hurts it.
Yeah, sorry missed the focus was an exaggeration on my part, like you said the head is in focus it'd just be nice to see the whole thing. Maybe just bring the ISO up to 400 or 800 next time, from what I understand the M3 has ridiculously good ISO, even at higher levels. How are you finding the camera by the way?

I'm not quite happy with the angle either, I would've preferred to be further back by there were trees in the way on both sides of the building in the plaza. My thought was to get in closer to avoid the trees and foliage in the shot, for the most part, but I guess it didn't work as I would've liked.

It was basically setup like this:
pre:
     -----------
     |         |
     |         |
     -----------

x
I'll go back tonight and see if I can get something better because the entire store is completely open with glass walls so I think visually it looks pretty neat at night. Getting decent pictures of buildings in this town is actually pretty annoying because we apparently love to have a random trees all over the place in business centres.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

doctor 7 posted:

Yeah, playing with the magenta sliders in raw is a fun way to go for editing some forest stuff if you didn't do that directly. i like the look of your post work

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Saint Fu posted:

_MG_2229-151 by spf3million, on Flickr

Looks great. The bit of masonry beneath the arched window has a bit of a rough transition that might benefit from some burning, but had I not known I would have assumed it was patina.

Saint Fu posted:

These are also impeccable. The lamps look great as-is, I don't find I'm missing any detail and the feel is much nicer because of it. They match the light thrown to the sides of the triptych. The muted shadows and overall tone on each looks very accurate; there's just enough of your own character in them to really draw a closer viewing.

At first I wanted to suggest straightening the second's horizontals, but after thinking about it I'm not so sure. His posture seems to fit it, seems somehow stranger (and more compelling) as a result.

HookShot posted:

Sant'Ignazius by hookshot88, on Flickr

In the first, I wish you had more room at the bottom, as straightening those verticals would really improve it. I like the figure in the aisle, positioned nicely.

Great composition on the second. If you had clipped the very upper corner of the door frame it wouldn't be nearly as strong. I might clean up some of those illuminated specs, but otherwise wouldn't change much.

You should both check out this series by Eduard Widmer.

DSC_5922.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_5889.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_5305-Edit.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

scottch posted:

I really like this one, but I think it the sky could be cropped down even more. It'd be three rectangles, one sand, one ocean, and one sky.

Tank by DAMNNIGERIAN, on Flickr

This isn't the best picture I've taken, but something about the diagnol line of the mountain makes it appealing to me.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

scottch posted:

DSC_5922.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_5889.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Great work with the clouds. I have a hell of a time getting a good exposure between clouds and everything else. I think the first photo is the strongest because it's something interesting. The 3 second exposure gives you a bit more detail beneath the water, as I'm sure you were going for. I haven't done any long exposure with sea/lakes yet so I don't have any advice in that regard other than you're getting decent detail out of it. The second one is a couple of barns, not much else to say. For the last one I'm going to agree with DM, crop the top a bit, there's too much grey with nothing really going on.

drat NIGGA posted:

I really like this one, but I think it the sky could be cropped down even more. It'd be three rectangles, one sand, one ocean, and one sky.

This isn't the best picture I've taken, but something about the diagnol line of the mountain makes it appealing to me.
I don't know if it's really a great photo in of itself but I think it might go well as some sort of background image. Like, say, a cover image on a Facebook profile or something for an article or website. I say this because there doesn't seem to be a real focal point for me. There's the white tank to the left but it feels quite off to the side so the trees stand out a bit but they're all kind of same-ish so nothing stands out there.

Did some more night time photos and I swear after uploading the Flickr the colours are a touch off for some reason. Also the lens flare from the powerful lights is starting to get to me. Is there something I can do about that or is it just :dealwithit:?

Nighthorts by Aidan R, on Flickr

IMG_4966 by Aidan R, on Flickr

IMG_4943 by Aidan R, on Flickr

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

drat NIGGA posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try that crop out. And that's pack ice, not sand.
And those are houses in the second, but I feared I might have been too far away to convey any sense of domesticity. Thanks.

I see what you were going for with the diagonal, but it's too noisy. It reads as "hey some brush" and not a strong line like a more barren bit of landscape might convey. The crop also confuses the subject. Is it the tank or the brush?