Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

wizard sticks posted:

So I think I did the unthinkable and bricked my phone.

I have a 3GS and just found out it's on a the new bootrom (359.3.2). I installed 5.0.1 via redsn0w with a custom IPSW so I didn't upgrade my baseband (05.16.02). It all worked well enough, until I found out that Cydia didn't install properly. I opened redsn0w again, tried re-jailbreaking, and now my phone is stuck in DFU mode and whenever I restore something in iTunes or via redsn0w I get a yellow screen and the phone just dies.

This is the yellow screen I get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfo6OmwT6rY I tried charging it for a few hours and nothing happens.

I have no idea how to fix it. It's 1 month out of AppleCare so if it's bricked I am screwed. Why couldn't I just stick with 4.3.5 :(

You could try using tinyumbrella to put it in to recovery mode, or to "fix" recovery mode but I've never tried any of those options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
So its definitely stuck in the tethered jailbreak of 5.0.1.

I installed Corona from Cydia and it doesn't do anything - whenever I power off the phone it goes into DFU mode and I need a computer to turn it back on. This is a new bootrom 3GS.
I tried using redsn0w to re-jailbreak it but it just hangs in DFU mode after the "Donwloading jailbreak data" screen runs/when all is said and done.
I also tried to go back to vanilla 5.0.1 but keep getting the 3194 error and when I patch my hosts file it still doesn't work - I think this is because I don't have a 5.0.1 SHSH blob backed up in Cydia.

Guess this is the best I can do form here. Quite pleased as about 3 hours ago I thought this was a brick and I was going to have to use an old flip phone.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

wizard sticks posted:

I have no idea how to fix it. It's 1 month out of AppleCare so if it's bricked I am screwed. Why couldn't I just stick with 4.3.5 :(
I know you said you fixed it but FYI there's an unwritten 45-day grace period on AppleCare in which you should be able to get a free replacement if you can make up even a passable sob story. Unless you get an absolute rear end of an FRS.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

TACD posted:

I know you said you fixed it but FYI there's an unwritten 45-day grace period on AppleCare in which you should be able to get a free replacement if you can make up even a passable sob story. Unless you get an absolute rear end of an FRS.

Guy wouldn't budge at all. He said if it was within 30 days of it expiring (it expired on March 3) he could maybe help me out, but it's too late now. The phone was working fine, but randomly would drop to DFU mode. Since I travel for work a lot I can't have this happening so I ended up restoring to 5.1 this morning. At least I don't have a paperweight. But I will miss my jailbreak so much - especially MyWi, Killbackground, and BiteSMS.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on an iPhone 4 with the 4.1 jailbreak.

When I was done talking to my mom I hit end call and stuck the phone in my pocket. A couple minutes later I pull it out and it's completely unresponsive. screen won't turn on. I call it using gf's phone, it rings as if it's on, but my phone doesn't ring or vibrate or anything.

My lock button has been broken for a while so I haven't turned it off in ages. I do occasional do a reboot using SBsettings. When I plug the phone in it does not turn on, nor does it show that it is charging but off.

Seems to be completely skunked.

Any ideas what to do? I'm about to try to plug it in and see if iTunes kicks it on or if it even recognizes it.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

tesilential posted:

I'm on an iPhone 4 with the 4.1 jailbreak.

When I was done talking to my mom I hit end call and stuck the phone in my pocket. A couple minutes later I pull it out and it's completely unresponsive. screen won't turn on. I call it using gf's phone, it rings as if it's on, but my phone doesn't ring or vibrate or anything.

My lock button has been broken for a while so I haven't turned it off in ages. I do occasional do a reboot using SBsettings. When I plug the phone in it does not turn on, nor does it show that it is charging but off.

Seems to be completely skunked.

Any ideas what to do? I'm about to try to plug it in and see if iTunes kicks it on or if it even recognizes it.

try putting it in DFU mode then plugging it in. Hold power for 3 seconds, then begin holding the circle button and power at the same time for 10, then let go of the power and only hold the circle for 10 seconds.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?

wizard sticks posted:

try putting it in DFU mode then plugging it in. Hold power for 3 seconds, then begin holding the circle button and power at the same time for 10, then let go of the power and only hold the circle for 10 seconds.

unfortunately, his lock button is broken. However, I think TinyUmbrella may be able to unfreeze you.. Worth a shot

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
ah, maybe try Redsn0w 'pwned' dfu mode. I can't remember if it forces the phone into DFu or if you have to manually do it. Also try ibooty.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wizard sticks posted:

ah, maybe try Redsn0w 'pwned' dfu mode. I can't remember if it forces the phone into DFu or if you have to manually do it. Also try ibooty.

iTunes doesn't recognize it and neither does Tiny Umbrella.

Will try Redsn0w and ibooty now...

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 (pre A5 devices) is out. Just use redsn0w and point it to the 5.1 IPSW.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Anyone here using Phone GV Extension and is unable to dial via GV Direct? It hasn't been working at all for me the past 2 weeks.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Anyone here using Phone GV Extension and is unable to dial via GV Direct? It hasn't been working at all for me the past 2 weeks.

My GV direct dial is working fine, but incoming GV SMS has been flaky at best.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I got my first iPhone (4S) back in October, and now I feel the desire to jailbreak it (only thing I miss from Android is rooting and flashing my phone). From my reading I take that since I have a 4S running 5.1 there is no way at this time to jailbreak it? So my best bet would be not to install 5.1.1, and wait for a jailbreak of 5.1 for the 4S? Or does the jailbreak community move on to 5.1.1 and skip 5.1?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Whatever exploit they come across should be present in both 5.1 and 5.1.1 (Apple doesn't usually patch the holes until the jailbreak is out so they know where the hole is).

That said, I'd stay on 5.1 just in case. You can always update to 5.1.1 later if you need to.

mewse
May 2, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I got my first iPhone (4S) back in October, and now I feel the desire to jailbreak it (only thing I miss from Android is rooting and flashing my phone). From my reading I take that since I have a 4S running 5.1 there is no way at this time to jailbreak it? So my best bet would be not to install 5.1.1, and wait for a jailbreak of 5.1 for the 4S? Or does the jailbreak community move on to 5.1.1 and skip 5.1?

It's unlikely anything exploit-wise changed between 5.1 and 5.1.1 but you should probably just stop updating. Many past jailbreaks depended on already having a jailbroken device.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

mewse posted:

Many past jailbreaks depended on already having a jailbroken device.

They have? I've been jailbreaking for over 2 years and each method has been, or in some cases, must have been done from either DFU mode or vanilla iOS.

That said, I still wouldn't get 5.1.1 but I would save those SHSH blobs.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

dutchbstrd posted:

They have? I've been jailbreaking for over 2 years and each method has been, or in some cases, must have been done from either DFU mode or vanilla iOS.

That said, I still wouldn't get 5.1.1 but I would save those SHSH blobs.

I haven't done a DFU since pre OS 4, I wonder why others are? I guess 3Gs?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Question: Are there any jailbreak tools to turn an iPad into a multi-user device? I know there's no iPad The Third JB yet but when one shows up I'd hop on it immediately for this alone.

Over The Road
Jan 6, 2006
Le singe est sur la branche
Are there any cydia tweaks that will stop the warning message that pops up every time I turn on my iPad whilst it's in Airplane Mode?

I use my iPad a lot whilst travelling and in the I interest of saving battery life I switch on Airplane Mode when leaving the house.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

mewse posted:

It's unlikely anything exploit-wise changed between 5.1 and 5.1.1 but you should probably just stop updating. Many past jailbreaks depended on already having a jailbroken device.

I've never, ever heard of a jailbreak requiring you to be jailbroken already. How would that even work?

You either jailbreak stock, or install a pre-jailbroken IPSW onto a wiped device. Neither situation requires you to some how already be jailbroken.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Over The Road posted:

Are there any cydia tweaks that will stop the warning message that pops up every time I turn on my iPad whilst it's in Airplane Mode?

I use my iPad a lot whilst travelling and in the I interest of saving battery life I switch on Airplane Mode when leaving the house.
Huh? I've never seen that. I just tested putting it in airplane mode, turning off the screen, the turning back on and no message. Or do you mean a full reboot?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Over The Road posted:

If you find yourself typing the word "whilst" twice in one post: stop.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

He could be British.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

I have a problem with BiteSMS icon badges persisting after I've marked an SMS as read in lockinfo or notification center. In order to clear the badge I have to open BiteSMS and open the message directly.

Anyone else had this problem? I am stumped.

No one else responded to your post, but I get this same problem all the time. I have no idea how to fix it and it's incredibly frustrating... but it's weird that no one that uses the BiteSMS/LockInfo combination has the same problem...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I didn't see it specifically mentioned, but if there's anyone here who isn't on an iPad 3 or iPhone 4S and wants Siri, Spite is the version of Spire that works on 5.1.
I got it by adding http://repo.technetec.com/vip to Cydia, downloading Spite and Spite fixes. If you go the proxy route, https://paradox-productions.net is free and works pretty well for me on my iPhone 4.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

sleepwalkers posted:

I didn't see it specifically mentioned, but if there's anyone here who isn't on an iPad 3 or iPhone 4S and wants Siri, Spite is the version of Spire that works on 5.1.
I got it by adding http://repo.technetec.com/vip to Cydia, downloading Spite and Spite fixes. If you go the proxy route, https://paradox-productions.net is free and works pretty well for me on my iPhone 4.

To clarify, does Spite work with i4Siri?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

While we're on the subject, I've had the i4siri and Spire combination on my iPhone 4 (ios 5.01) forever and it always says it's busy or it's having problems try again later, or something. Is there something I could be doing wrong? I'm reading that a lot of people have this problem, but I've never seen a solution posted anywhere.

I've installed the certificate as far as I know.

Anyone had any success with i4siri/Spire?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
It's funny, the people I know with a 4S never use Siri, yet those without a 4S are jumping through hoops and bending over backwards to try and get it on their device.

Anyway, the new redsn0w is out:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/22834622159/5x-redux

This version supports installing an IPSW direct to your device, bypassing iTunes. Your SHSH is still needed, however.

It can downgrade an iPad 2 or iPhone 4S at 5.1/5.1.1 to 5.0.1 so that you can jailbreak it.

Unfortunately, this magic may be temporary. The method involves temporarily updating to the latest firmware before downgrading, so it is something that Apple can fix (post 5.1.1). 5.1.2 may come out next week and block the A5+ downgrades.

Another note: if your 4S is on 5.0.1, and you want to clean restore and re-jailbreak, it will be updated to 5.1.1 (included latest baseband code), before being downgraded back to 5.0.1 (but with the 5.1.1 baseband still installed). I sorta like that, since the 4S is still new, I'd want the latest modem firmware possible. It may not help with someone using Gevey or whatever those SIM unlock cards are called.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 11, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh loving yes I know what I'm doing tonight.

GV Extensions I missed you so much :qq:

I imagine I'll need to start fresh as my current backup is 5.1, correct?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Xenomorph posted:

It's funny, the people I know with a 4S never use Siri, yet those without a 4S are jumping through hoops and bending over backwards to try and get it on their device.

I don't understand why people wouldn't use Siri for just one basic thing, if nothing else: location based reminders.

"Remind me to feed the dog when I get home"
"Remind me to dispose of the body when I leave here"

I used Siri briefly until it stopped working on my iPhone 4. I loved it for reminders. I'm honestly too lazy to deal with it on my iPhone 4, but when I upgrade to a new iPhone with Siri, I'll be looking forward to it. Maybe then I won't be so lonely.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I use Siri every day for timers and reminders. It's also neat for settings alarms. But the BEST thing to do with Siri is:

"Check on Wolfram Alpha for [ANYTHING]"

Basic stuff like "What's X times Y" is automatically done on WA do you don't need to ask for it. You can also specifically search for a Wikipedia entry on whatever.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
90% of my Siri requests have been things like "I just pooped my pants again, what should I do?", "Where can I hide this dead hooker's body?", "I just got my sister pregnant again, where can I get an abortion?"

The answers changed over time, and now don't seem as funny. :(

I get a lot of "Would you like for me to search the web for _________?" responses now instead of Siri coming back with a random/silly reply or telling me where the closest Planned Parenthood is at. It's like Apple has my 4S' ID flagged, with a note saying "stop responding to this idiot". Sending me to Google for every query makes it as useless as one of those 3rd-party voice programs.

If I have a specific question about a measurement or movie or something I still just pull up Safari or the IMDB app.

I do use Dictation every now and then. It makes that whole "texting while driving" thing a bit easier/safer. From what I've read, Dictation is only there if you have Siri working and enabled.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I legit use Siri like 20 times a day. It's wonderful.

*Gets off phone call with client. Schedules Webex or meeting for next Tuesday.*

"Remind me Next Tuesday at 9am"

"What would you like to be reminded about?"

"Meeting with Joanne at 10am."

Bam, reminder goes off one hour before my meeting.

It's a ritual I have and it's been working GREAT.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, I guess I'm not too big on "talking to myself". You won't ever find me using a Bluetooth headset, either. I just don't feel right if people can hear me talking but not see anyone with me.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

Well, I guess I'm not too big on "talking to myself". You won't ever find me using a Bluetooth headset, either. I just don't feel right if people can hear me talking but not see anyone with me.
People will probably just assume you're talking to a phone or talking to someone on the phone these days. I don't think the misconception that a person is talking to themselves happens very often anymore.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

Anyway, the new redsn0w is out:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/22834622159/5x-redux

This was so incredibly easy to the point it even put the phone in recovery mode for you. No DFU or any holding. Just point it to the IPSWs for 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 plug in the phone and it does everything else.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I got a text while installing Spite and it messed up the download. After the install said it finished and Cydia did a reboot it froze on the Apple logo. Now it won't boot up and forcing a reset tells me to plug it into iTunes which tells me its in Recovery mode and needs to restore.

How can I avoid this? Is there a Restore I can do through a jailbreak program?

Edit: Tried the TinyUmbrella fix. Not working, just freezes again.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 11, 2012

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

jojoinnit posted:

Tried the TinyUmbrella fix.

Give iReb a try.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Na'at posted:

Give iReb a try.

Nope. Most of the fixes are for phones in a recovery loop. I'm not in a recovery loop, I'm just frozen on the Apple logo on startup and all I can do is hold home and lock to force it into recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

sleepwalkers posted:

Never bothered til just now but I just installed Spire (5.0.1 JB) and used this proxy, works perfectly. Thanks.

• Locked thread