Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Black88GTA posted:

I'll see your two cases of beer, and raise you two more! :smug: I picked up variety pack 12'ers from Saranac, Brooklyn Brewery and Blue Point, along with something called Mariachi :confused: Idk, it was $8 for a 12 pack and apparently is a South American Corona knockoff.

This works out well. I'll be bringing variety packs from our local breweries, so anything I can try that's new will be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

This works out well. I'll be bringing variety packs from our local breweries, so anything I can try that's new will be awesome.

That was my thought too, I wanted to bring some stuff from NY micros since it may not be readily available up that way. Not sure where Saranac comes from and I'm too lazy to google it or go downstairs to look, but Brooklyn (obviously) and Blue Point are local and awesome.

I thought about bringing up a 30 of Genny Light in case beer pong was happening, but then I realized it is swill (although local swill).

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Black88GTA posted:

That was my thought too, I wanted to bring some stuff from NY micros since it may not be readily available up that way. Not sure where Saranac comes from and I'm too lazy to google it or go downstairs to look, but Brooklyn (obviously) and Blue Point are local and awesome.

I thought about bringing up a 30 of Genny Light in case beer pong was happening, but then I realized it is swill (although local swill).

Can you get yuengling? Bring a case of that for me to bring back to maine!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slow is Fast posted:

Only if you bring Gritty's.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

Yuengling is like Bud Light out here. It's (almost) that common, although a billion times better. I could grab a case of it before I head up, assuming I don't forget.

What is Gritty's? I would not be opposed to an exchange type of deal...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Only if you bring Gritty's.

In addition to my two cases, I will bring a case of grittys in exchange for yeungling.

And yeah, GTA grittys is a microbrew up here, I realize I'm downtrading, but I never get to have yeungling.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Brooklyn brewery is some good poo poo. Their russian imperial stout is one of my favorites.

I have fire water, ice 101, various cheap whiskey, and something like 48 beers on hand (assorted new england stuff) and will be grabbing burgers and hotdogs tomorrow before hitting the JY.

The house is still a freakin' shithole but I managed to put down 5 sheets of subflooring today. If I really get ambitious and/or wake up at the crack of dawn I may have a closed in room for everyone who's stying the night to sleep in, but it'll take somewhat of a miracle...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
oh, and minor addition to the directions for some - I gave some people one set of directions and others the other set so that we won't end up overloading the parking available. If your directions yap about Belmont St and a yellow dead end sign, they just got easier. It's exactly the same, except there is now a JEEP TRAIL road sign on a tree about where most people start worrying about if they're going the right way or not, thanks to CommissarGribbs. So drive till you see that sign (it's on a tree to the left of the road) then drive a little more.

If your directions don't mention Belmont St, disregard this...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Two grittys variety packs and a shipyard variety pack purchased. The girl at the supermarket rolled her eyes at me carrying three cases of beer at once. ChrisGT and I are on our way to southbridge.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

People are here. We have ace, elektrotechnik, dan, chrisgt, and sharkytm here already. Pipkin should be showing up soon.

Hydrolocked the MJ two or three times, still runs just great.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Just graduated. Have fun tonight! Try not to bottle rocket my jeep.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It was nice to meet everyone, sorry about having to skip out early. I left that massive piston there, someone do something with it, I've got more. I got busted for going the wrong way on Mill street, fifty dollar ticket... Going to fight it, so I'll be back soon.

I'll post videos and pictures on YouTube and Imgur once I get back from NYC.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

yikes! Yeah, Mill st is a one way down there... I should have warned you. Easy way out is Pleasant St for future reference.

50 dollar ticket isn't that big a deal, but I'm pretty sure that one is a point on your driving record, so definitely worth fighting. Sad thing is you probably wouldn't have even gotten nailed for it except for the cops all over the place due to the carnival around the corner.

EDIT: we learned that weedwackers run on acetylene and oxygen, at least till they backfire so badly it lights the torch, and/or shatters the spark plug and jams the piston in the cylinder.

kastein fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 13, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Open house in Augusta today. Civilians welcome to come. Free food and you can gawk at mil vehicles. I'll get pics for you, kastein

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Slow is Fast posted:

Two grittys variety packs and a shipyard variety pack purchased. The girl at the supermarket rolled her eyes at me carrying three cases of beer at once. ChrisGT and I are on our way to southbridge.

It didn't help that a blurted out "It's saturday morning, this is perfectly acceptable."

That was a loving blast! (literally, in some cases (like the quiet fireworks)). When I find the loving usb cable I'll upload pics of my melted engine block.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

We'll start with this gem.

About as white trash as you can get, and it's awesome.

Here's some thermite..

That is (was) a subaru ej22 that seized due to oil starvation. It has around 350k miles on it.
I should also note the reason the bell housing is missing. And cyl #3 is a bit chewed up.
The engine seized connected to a loving automatic transmission. So I had to chop off the bell housing to get the torque converter bolts out.

We also had fun with the Oxy FUCKINGACETYLENE. Since subaru engines suck, the easiest way to remove the pistons is by torching the rods in half.

Since I haven't (yet) taken a picture of the thermite hole piston on it's own, you'll see it later with the quiet fireworks.

Here's a piece of melted engine block.

Oil pump after you fish it out of the firepit the next day.

Timing gear was stuck, so we cut it in half.

Here you can see some great things all in one picture.
Thermite hole piston
Quiet fireworks
and I loving HATE THIS PROJECT (alternately called Deck Beam)

What happens to a weed eater motor when you run it on acetylene. Poor fucker was tough. I hope someone posts videos. I was one of the whackos leaning over the engine making it run.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 13, 2012

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
These are apparently the only two pictures I took the entire time.

My truck behind kastein's truck, right after he hydrolocked it temporarily. We both had to dump water out of the intakes. Fun times.

Toilet on fire. That is all.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 13, 2012

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Videos!

Weed wacker and acetylene, complete with fuckin awesome backfires!
http://youtu.be/Z4fQ6LfjLvY

I'm pretty sure this was the last time it ran. It still spun pretty freely by hand after it cooled down though. Tough little bastard :3:
http://youtu.be/4ZORwYoDd30

e: I can't seem to get them to embed properly, so you're stuck with URLs :saddowns:

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 13, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
While you guys were having fun sleeping off hangovers I was essentially babysitting kids as they played on mil trucks for about 4 hours.

The open-house thing was broadcast and publicized like a week leading up to the event apparently. Quite a few people showed up though mostly parents of small children that had no interest in the military.

HMMWVs: nobody can get enough of these right? Here is an M998 we had out.

And a pair of M1165s

Interior

Rusty Unused Pioneer Tools

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
HEMMT PLS:

Interior:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
OOPS! That last one was the 5-ton

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Something to make AI goons drool:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
If you guys are interested I can post more photos but dont want to completely kill the thread.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'd kill for that crane. I need to finish welding the one I am building for the MJ.

wish I got some more pictures, I got precisely zero, was too busy holding the vise down with the engine running in it.

Shortly I should have the house somewhat more repaired and slightly less horrifying; my apologies for the construction site status of my property. If people feel like it we can do another meetup in a few weeks to a few months or something. I'll try to collect some old lawn mowers and stuff off freecycle/craigslist in the meantime...

Parents just left, they weren't TOO horrified by the condition of the place so I guess we cleaned it up enough afterwards.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I have to say, that Forward Repair System is the tits. Thanks for making me aware of something so awesome.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

I fully expect if we do manage to pull off a meet up, that I see poo poo exploding, get to see stupid cars (and kastiens MJ's :3:), and get to drink a gently caress ton of beer.

poo poo exploding. Check.
Stupid cars. Check.
MJ's. Two Checks.
gently caress ton of beer. Check.

Saturday was awesome:

First we went wheeling. Ken's MJ needs a splash guard:

Then once people started showing up it was thermite time:

And put it in an EJ22:

"oh god, someone just put a roadflare in my toilet"

And a huge thanks to Black88GTA, my fridge is happy:

I'll post videos eventually.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is on sale, in case anyone wants to do it:
http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/530-southern-new-hampshire/deals/326306-12-lap-shootout-package
I can't figure it out -- what's the catch?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Thanks again to everyone. My DSLR decided to gently caress up its memory card, and I lost a few videos, including the one of the "quiet" fireworks, which blows.

However, it kept several of the thermite. I also made a GIF of the mixing process.

Thermite in flowerpot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rl3pjXl61Q

EJ22 mess:

Mixing thermite:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

that gif has me rolling. I wish I had his non work email so I could send it to him without risking him having to explain it to his boss.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Mixin' the Thermite, an animation in three parts.

Bonus burned-though EJ22 block:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

This is what happens if you piss on his bricks

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

KASTEEEIN - you should get these two things to tow behind your 5 ton.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 18, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

e: I'm too broke to buy more mil vehicle stuff :(

NEWSFLASH

I still have some aluminum powder left. And I was fooling around on youtube and it turns out you can make thermite with sand, sulfur (for ignition purposes only), and aluminum. And it burns blue and produces molten silicon instead of molten iron.

I have purchased 50lbs of play sand. Anyone got sulfur? Who's down?

Also, Monday night and/or Tuesday we will be working on finishing Terrence's YJ so it can drive off my porch in pride. And in the near future there is likely to be a Worcester junkyard extravaganza to pull a subaru motor for Dan and a 2ZJ-GE that Ace and I have had our eyes on for a while (assuming it hasn't been crushed yet.)

Anyone who feels like showing up is welcome to, some of you already know where I live and others can PM/email me at the same address as before.

Warning: the junkyard trip is going to involve a LOT of cursing. And a lot of brutally hard work. And a lot of sweating our asses off, because it's summer now. And probably some blood and sunburns.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

And in the near future there is likely to be a Worcester junkyard extravaganza to pull a subaru motor for Dan and a 2ZJ-GE that Ace and I have had our eyes on for a while (assuming it hasn't been crushed yet.)

I <3 you. I need all the SOHC's I can get and the subaru one is an easy pull.

Going to send you my google calendar so we can coordinate weekends.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I wanna go too!

I'll take one of each part for both my cars. Then I'll have spares for a while.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Had to pull the trans out of my friends truck last night. We spent all last winter building a nasty small block for it and the trans failed on the way over to my house and I still haven't gotten to hear it run :(

We are most likely going to rebuild it ourselves and if so I'll post the pictures of the magic and voodoo that we take out and put back in. Its a TH350 so it should be easy.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Also, Monday night and/or Tuesday we will be working on finishing Terrence's YJ so it can drive off my porch in pride.

As per usual, if you help get my jeep going, you get free chinese buffet :3:

The weather is amazing today!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It really is. Could be cooler or less humid... but it's not raining (yet) so I'm not gonna complain.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

Warning: the junkyard trip is going to involve a LOT of cursing. And a lot of brutally hard work. And a lot of sweating our asses off, because it's summer now. And probably some blood and sunburns.

I'm sorry what was that about summer and sweating? At least we only officially hit 95 yesterday, instead of the 99 that was forecasted...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

just because it's the temperature of the surface of the sun where YOU live doesn't mean it doesn't suck where we live, too...

oh, and obligatory "but it's a DRY heat!!! :smug:"

• Locked thread