Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
http://www.websdr.org/ has got a new receiver in Sweden. As you can hear, there are a lot of Russian and other slavic hams on 80 meters, but I've never gotten a response from Russia on this band yet. Maybe they're used to 80 meters being local only, so they're not prepared for English QSOs.

Have you ever come across the "anti-bandplan" activists? Apparently the ARRL, the FCC or the ITU has no say in our God-given right to transmit anything anywhere; also the suggested band plans are illegal because they are tantamount to selling off the frequencies.
:allears:
I've heard such characters jamming frequencies a couple of times too. It's the weirdest of causes. I can understand pirates who are against all regulation of radio, but why would you obtain a license, respect the band edges, identify properly, but fly into furious rage because you can't have an AM ragchew in the digital segment or because a scheduled traffic net asked you if you could please move a couple kHz down in the band?

It's just an aberration though. Everyone else I've talked to both on HF and repeaters have been very nice people, happy to help with an audio check, talking about their interests, etc.

Radio Nowhere posted:

I just made contact with someone who participates in something called "Summits On The Air".
SOTA is cool. I submitted a bunch of local summits last summer, but they haven't been entered into the system yet. Slartibartfast gave us a lot of work to do checking primary factors, even under water. :norway:

From two pages back:

eddiewalker posted:

I don't completely follow your ground radial idea, since I thought radial just went along with vertical, flagpole-style antennas, but it seems like something I could easily try later if I just left a foot of extra feedline by the chimney.
The switch turns the feedline into a vertical antenna, with the horizontal part as a capacitance hat. Thus your antenna is either a vertical or a dipole depending on how you connect the feedline. The radials do their work in vertical mode.

On a related note, I'm almost finished making G3UKV's version of the ZS6BKW multiband HF antenna. I haven't actually trimmed the ends to length yet; I've only used it with my auto-tuner. While I've been able to get one end up into a ~10 meter tall rowan tree, the other end is supposed to be supported by a ~15 meter tall pine tree, out of range of my tennis ball and racket method. I could have built a powerful slingshot, but it would likely be illegal under our weapon laws. I'll end up climbing the pine, I think, but I'll be getting some safety gear first; I have to check the roof of our house too so it won't be a pure ham expense.

Curly Shuffle posted:

What's the status of SAARS?
I don't know - we should call a member meeting or something. I'm still hanging around on Echolink.
For more old school, we could set up a CWirc room. :v:

Vir fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sammus posted:

I went out to the garage today to clear a space, and low and behold I stumbled upon some of my dad's old ham radio stuff. Could you guys tell me what I've got here? There might be more stashed in the garage that I need to look for.

Click for freaking huge.

You got a bunch of vintage boatanchor poo poo that will work until the heat death of the universe, that's what you got. Super cool, i'm jealous.

My antenna tuner is the only Kenwood thing I own, it's an AT-230. I think it was meant to be paired either with that generation or the one after.

Please don't let some wheeler and dealer tell you "oh it's old, i'll give you $50 for the pile."

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 28, 2019

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
UPDATE:

So I'm programming Kenwood TK-270's (not the G version) and it requires DOS based software instead of the really awesome KPG56 software. My cable is a USB cable with drivers that emulate the serial connection. You can see my problem.

Turns out running a Windows Virtual PC with Win 98, the virtual PC using the COM port that the cable is assigned to, and turning on "wait for modem command to open port" works fantastically.

And when I say fantastically I mean it works in the way that programming LMR's normally does which is generally a terrible experience (I'm lookin' at you Motorola...)

Also turns out I can program the Kenwoods below 150 so now I'm sitting here scanning HAM bands while trying to finish the rest of this stack of radios. Are there any national VHF bands that get a lot of traffic that I should be scanning?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 28, 2019

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

You got a bunch of vintage boatanchor poo poo that will work until the heat death of the universe, that's what you got. Super cool, i'm jealous.

My antenna tuner is the only Kenwood thing I own, it's an AT-230. I think it was meant to be paired either with that generation or the one after.

Please don't let some wheeler and dealer tell you "oh it's old, i'll give you $50 for the pile."

Thanks, that tells me pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. I have no intention of selling the stuff, and I think I might even want to one day get it into working order. Not to use regularly, but just incase I ever need it. It would be good to have it set up to where it's flip a switch and be ready to go.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I just programmed ~20 handhelds.

Theoretically, if I were to charge, how much should I have made? I think the local guy charges us $40 but I'm not too sure.

Also, screw entering frequencies into a DOS based program, I forgot how horrible that whole thing is when you're doing more than a few channels.

By the way the whole virtual-pc setup I mentioned above works really really well.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

invision posted:

Also, screw entering frequencies into a DOS based program, I forgot how horrible that whole thing is when you're doing more than a few channels.
Could be worse, you could have to enter the frequencies in hexadecimal. :iamafag:

invision posted:

By the way the whole virtual-pc setup I mentioned above works really really well.
I should look into that since the piece of poo poo USB->Serial converter built into the programming cable for my VX-8R doesn't have any functional drivers for Vista.

Or I suppose I could just buy an all-serial cable and use the serial expansion card I have, but :bahgawd:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

nmfree posted:

Could be worse, you could have to enter the frequencies in hexadecimal. :iamafag:

I should look into that since the piece of poo poo USB->Serial converter built into the programming cable for my VX-8R doesn't have any functional drivers for Vista.

Or I suppose I could just buy an all-serial cable and use the serial expansion card I have, but :bahgawd:

If you've got a cheap programming cable from eBay like I bought for my vx-8, it's probably got a Prolific chipset or knockoff thereof.

http://wouxun.us/Software/USB%20Drivers/PL2303_Prolific_GPS_AllInOne_1013.exe

That driver works for me. Wouxun.us lists that as their "all else fails" driver. Works for both my cheap vx-8 cable and my Baofeng.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

If anyone chases countries, Yemen is going to activated for the first time in quite a while for a couple of weeks, starting this afternoon. It's number 5 on the DX News Most Wanted List.

Even if you don't consider yourself a DXer you may want to try to work this one. It could be years and years before this happens again. Expect a zoo on frequency for the duration of the DXpedition.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

While I am waiting for my $25 RTL USB dongle to arrive - do we have an SDR thread? Or perhaps we have enough SDR users in this thread?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Tovarisch posted:

While I am waiting for my $25 RTL USB dongle to arrive - do we have an SDR thread? Or perhaps we have enough SDR users in this thread?

r/RTLSDR on reddit is pretty active, and is way less swamped with "internet culture" than the rest of the site.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have a type acceptance question that no one on the local repeaters is willing to answer for some reason: At work I get a Moto Radius handheld that's set up under a business band license for (5 frequencies around 463mhz, for 10 units at 5 watts each)

My Baofeng uv-3r covers our freqs, is part 90 certified, and only puts out 2 watts. Can I use it at work with my employer's permission?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 28, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jose Pointero posted:

Pretty sure it's not kosher, but I did this exact same thing with my old Yaesu VX-7R at 5 watts a few years ago.

But this radio, and I believe the Wouxun that's so popular, have been certified under part 90. I know my Yaesu isn't. This morning I took my Baofeng to the local Motorola dealer who files every business license in town. They looked at the FCC ID and couldn't find anything wrong with my plan, so long as I have permission to operate under the business license. The list of freqs and DCS codes I was handed by an engineer-in-charge counts for me.

Even talking about it got me treated like a criminal on the local repeater.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

SiB
May 6, 2005
Dumb question from a new operator...... How can some HF verticals get away with ground radials that are only 3 or 4 feet long rather than 25 or so feet?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

This morning I took my Baofeng to the local Motorola dealer who files every business license in town. They looked at the FCC ID and couldn't find anything wrong with my plan, so long as I have permission to operate under the business license. The list of freqs and DCS codes I was handed by an engineer-in-charge counts for me.
I would have agreed with the OFs that you shouldn't use it, but a little :google: tells me that it really is Part 90 certified, so go nuts.

FYI according to the FCC documents the radio is only in compliance of Part 90 if it's programmed by authorized personnel or the manufacturer, but I won't tell if you don't :ssh:

eddiewalker posted:

That driver works for me. Wouxun.us lists that as their "all else fails" driver. Works for both my cheap vx-8 cable and my Baofeng.
Thanks for posting this, but I still can't get it work. v:shobon:v Not a big deal, really.

SiB posted:

Dumb question from a new operator...... How can some HF verticals get away with ground radials that are only 3 or 4 feet long rather than 25 or so feet?
The answer is "they don't". There's plenty of writing about radials on the internet (e.g. N6LF , W4RNL, and others) that will do a better job of explaining than I ever could why those too-good-to-be-true vertical "systems" are just that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Am I correct in assuming that the questions in the NCVEC pools are all sample questions, and you end up with something different on exam day?

I've been spending more time memorizing rules and regs than any practical theory (RF engineering professionally), so I was thinking about going straight to General or Extra (combination of Element 2, 3 and 4 question pools, right?)

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
The question pools are *ALL* the questions that may appear in a test. Every test is different, but they all take a certain number of questions from each section of their respective pool.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mwdan posted:

The question pools are *ALL* the questions that may appear in a test. Every test is different, but they all take a certain number of questions from each section of their respective pool.

Oh, ok! For some reason I thought it was an obnoxiously huge pool of practice questions or something.

Looks like I have over a thousand practice questions to work through! Like the MCAT all over again, except I know it quite well! :toot:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

movax posted:

I've been spending more time memorizing rules and regs than any practical theory (RF engineering professionally), so I was thinking about going straight to General or Extra (combination of Element 2, 3 and 4 question pools, right?)
Each license level is its own Element (Tech→Element 2, General → Element 3, Extra → Element 4) and you have to pass each successive test Element individually before you can move up (even if it's at the same test session). It's also usually the same testing fee no matter how many tests you take, so there's no reason to not sit for all three right away (even if you haven't studied for one of them).

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Speaking of exams, is there a place to check to see where the most current randomly assigned callsigns are for a given area? I'm curious to see what sort of callsign I'd get if I were to pass a General Exam these days.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

manero posted:

Speaking of exams, is there a place to check to see where the most current randomly assigned callsigns are for a given area? I'm curious to see what sort of callsign I'd get if I were to pass a General Exam these days.
I think one of the magazines used to keep track of them (QST? I don't remember), but AE7Q has a page that looks like it's somewhat up to date.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Just a side comment on the repeater chat, yeah, never ever talk about anything outside of the book with HAMs which aren't public safety or emergency preparedness focused. It just ends up bad.

I mean I'll admit it - all my radios are not to spec - but I never abuse that privilege. I just like having GMRS and FRS freqs and the like available to me in case I NEED them.

It's not like being a pirate and stealing movies or software, it's a matter of if I ever am in a ditch and somehow a repeater i can reach isn't on you're drat straight that I'll be "breaking the code" and using any freqs within my power to summon help, shy of public service frequencies I am not authorized on, and even then, if I'm going to die otherwise I'll just give up my license for the trespass :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
All of my radios are busted wide open. My 735 can transmit (albeit inefficiently and probably blowing up the output filters) anywhere between 0.1 and 30 MHz, and I actually have a Jurassic-era Alinco that receives unblocked 800 though nothing's been up there for ten years. It's up to you to do the right thing and not be a shithead with the powers you have.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Ok guys -- time to decide:

Do I go with an IC-7410, or a Flex 3000?

Anyone have any experience with the two?

Adeptus Mechanicus
Oct 9, 2007
Complete newbie question:
I want to get into Ham Radio but I know next to nothing, is the Ham Radio License Manual Revised 2nd Edition what I want to purchase as a starting point?

Adeptus Mechanicus fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 14, 2012

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Adeptus Mechanicus posted:

Complete newbie question:
I want to get into Ham Radio but I know next to nothing, is the Ham Radio License Manual Revised 2nd Edition what I want to purchase as a starting point?
Yep, that will give you everything you need to know to pass the Technician exam. It's actually written pretty well, too; everything's laid out logically and mostly in plain English.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Pixelboy posted:

Ok guys -- time to decide:

Do I go with an IC-7410, or a Flex 3000?

Anyone have any experience with the two?

I've used a Flex before and honestly the receiver performance seems to be pretty good, but I could never get over NEEDING a computer to operate a rig. I've had a couple of QSOs with a Flexer in which they simply disappeared because their computer locked up.

Instead of a 7410 have you considered a Kenwood TS-590? The receiver performance is way better, it's a better rig on CW and the price is around $350 less.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I don't see this on this page: The FCC wants to hear from human beings about ham radio use in emergency situations.

The FCC posted:

the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC or Commission) Wireless Telecommunications Bureau and Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau seek comment on the uses and capabilities of Amateur Radio Service communications in emergencies and disaster relief. As set forth below, comment is sought on issues relating to the importance of emergency Amateur Radio Service communications and on impediments to enhanced Amateur Radio Service communications. Stakeholder entities and organizations, including the Amateur Radio, emergency response, and disaster communications communities, are particularly encouraged to submit comments.

Deadline TOMORROW, Thursday 5/17.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I built a mobile 10 meter antenna yesterday! It's built out of a section of fiberglass tent pole, the whip+ferrule off an old 2 meter 5/8 wave, a 3/8"x24 bolt and a 1/2" NPT brass fitting. It will tune as low as 12 meters but right now I have it centered on 28.3-ish MHz. Heard a couple freebanders, no legit hams though. I hear 10's still on the way up, however.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Any goon hams in Dayton this weekend? I just got here tonight staying for 2 days. Have never been before, already see some hamsexy and I'm just at the hotel! Can't wait for tomorrow, hopefully I don't spend too much.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 28, 2019

SiB
May 6, 2005
So I am on holidays, eastern Canada.... I was on Signal Hill (St. John's, Newfoundland) today with a Radio and I contacted a friend of mine back home on the west side of Canada.

Whats so great about that?

On 12 December 1901, the first transatlantic wireless transmission was received here by Guglielmo Marconi in an abandoned fever and Diphtheria hospital, which has since been destroyed by fire.[1] The transmission, in Morse code, originated from his Poldhu Wireless Station, Cornwall, UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Hill,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador

Ya I had a radio geek moment :colbert:

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Speaking of radio geek moments, I was just up in MT, and got my first readable APT RX with a homebrew QFH antenna on a stupidly-named radio called the FunCube Dongle Pro.

Said antenna was elevated to 2 meters by hanging it from a tree.

This strikes me as cool because it's the first antenna I've made, and my 2nd antenna overall (also it receives satellites!). I can feel the greying of my beard along with the ailing of my health, and will be taking the next available tech exam.

Totally Reasonable fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 19, 2012

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

That is awesome! I've always been meaning to dabble in trying to receive WX satellite stuff but have never gotten around to it.

AntennaGeek
May 30, 2011

Hamvention was great.... managed to pass my Extra, and bought some coax to finally get around to setting up an HF station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Congrats! Someday I hope to get there; Nine people from my local club went this year.