Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revolther
May 27, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

Anybody have any experience with using a PS3 controller with their tablets?

I've gotten my Nook Color to recognize my Dual Shock 3, but it has a gimped bluetooth range so never got much further than that. I know there is a Dual Shock Compatibility app on the market that can get you started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Jizzle Drizzle posted:

Ok, thanks for confirming what I thought was true. I just had to make sure that it wasn't some dumb power saving feature. Should I try getting it repaired through Samsung support, or just return it to Best Buy and get a new one?

I'd go the Best Buy route first since you bought it recently, probably quicker and less of a hassle.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

TontoCorazon posted:

Anybody have any experience with using a PS3 controller with their tablets?

I used my PS3 controllers to play various emulators on my tablet. I did N64 and PS3. It was all fairly easy, you have to change the MAC address that the PS3 controller pairs with and then use an app to map the keys to actions.

Most of it works, however I ran into problems with N64 in games that require both the joystick and arrow pad.

It's fun and has a nice novelty factor, but ultimately I stopped using it since there aren't a whole lot of games I really wanted to play from that era.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good case/cover for the tf300? My google-fu turned up very little. I don't want anything fancy, just a black cover that looks simple. Surprisingly, this doesn't seem to be readily available.

Am I just overlooking something obvious?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anything made for the TF201 should work for the T300. They are the same dimensions iirc. Currently though, there is no case that supports the use of the tablet and dock at the same time.

Edit: Here is a small caveat to what I posted. The T300 is 1mm thicker than the TF201 and the buttons are in different places.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 11, 2012

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Revolther and Secret Sweater thank you very much.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Can the asus tablets take a charge from the keyboards? Like can a dead tablet be plugged into the dock for a while and have (some) charge an hour later?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

kmcormick9 posted:

Can the asus tablets take a charge from the keyboards? Like can a dead tablet be plugged into the dock for a while and have (some) charge an hour later?

Yes. The dock works as a charger for the tablet. If the dock is plugged into a power source, the tablet charges off the dock, the dock charges off the power source. The tablet always charges off the dock if it's plugged into it.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Does anyone know if the dock from the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus will work for the Tab 2 7.0" The dimensions are almost exactly the same, the only thing I don't know is if all the pins on their connector are the same. I assume they would be, but I am not sure.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is anyone planning anything that hits the "Tegra 3 + ICS + $399" bulletpoints the way the TF300 does? I really like the specs, but am not happy with what I hear about the ASUS hardware support experience.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Is anyone planning anything that hits the "Tegra 3 + ICS + $399" bulletpoints the way the TF300 does? I really like the specs, but am not happy with what I hear about the ASUS hardware support experience.

My own experience was relatively painless. My TF201 broke about a month ago and i initiated a warranty repair. I posted about it here expecting it to be a nigtmare but I went and shipped it to the repair center and got it back a week and a half ago good as new. I was fairly surprised and I'm pretty happy. And here I am posting on it now!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SeaWolf posted:

My own experience was relatively painless. My TF201 broke about a month ago and i initiated a warranty repair. I posted about it here expecting it to be a nigtmare but I went and shipped it to the repair center and got it back a week and a half ago good as new. I was fairly surprised and I'm pretty happy. And here I am posting on it now!

Did you have to pay for shipping? Also over a week at a repair facility is pretty sub-par service. Most decent companies will only charge for overnighting, and the best companies overnight for free. Most all will send a new device if repair times are going to be long (more than a couple of days). You might be happy with the service you received, but your expectations are lower than that of the common consumer. ASUS service is abysmal.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Henry Meowlins posted:

Did you have to pay for shipping? Also over a week at a repair facility is pretty sub-par service. Most decent companies will only charge for overnighting, and the best companies overnight for free. Most all will send a new device if repair times are going to be long (more than a couple of days). You might be happy with the service you received, but your expectations are lower than that of the common consumer. ASUS service is abysmal.

Fair enough, yes i did pay shipping. But in my experience when i usually have a problem and need warranty work the companies I've dealt with usually figure out a way to weasel out of taking responsibility for fixing it and usually tell me to get hosed. So yeah my expectations are very low.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The hardware support from ASUS is abysmal for their tablets. I've had to send my tablet in twice and so far the total time at the repair center is over one month. They want me to send it back again because I can't receive Over the Air updates. I refused to do that. That waned me to pay shipping for the first RMA and for the RMA they want me to do. Luckily, they paid for the shipping on the 2nd RMA because they sent me a new In-Box TF201 with a broken back light.

I currently get my OTAs from people who save the cache files before they update. This way the only people I have to wait on are the people from XDA.

So far my tablet experience has been great, except for the RMAs.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

SeaWolf posted:

Fair enough, yes i did pay shipping. But in my experience when i usually have a problem and need warranty work the companies I've dealt with usually figure out a way to weasel out of taking responsibility for fixing it and usually tell me to get hosed. So yeah my expectations are very low.
Something was broken that you paid money for, and the company wants you to pay for it to be shipped to them so they can fix it, and judging from the replies, chances are you will receive another broken device or just more headaches.

This isn't fanboy speak, this is just a dude on the internet saying that maybe you should not feed these guys any more money until they improve the customer experience. This in turn will improve product craftsmanship and weed out loser manufacturers that don't give two shits about their customers.

Continue lapping up their poo poo and nothing good will come out of it except other companies excelling at an even more rapid pace, gobbling up the competition. Competition is good. We need it!

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

SlayVus posted:

The hardware support from ASUS is abysmal for their tablets. I've had to send my tablet in twice and so far the total time at the repair center is over one month. They want me to send it back again because I can't receive Over the Air updates. I refused to do that. That waned me to pay shipping for the first RMA and for the RMA they want me to do. Luckily, they paid for the shipping on the 2nd RMA because they sent me a new In-Box TF201 with a broken back light.

I currently get my OTAs from people who save the cache files before they update. This way the only people I have to wait on are the people from XDA.

So far my tablet experience has been great, except for the RMAs.

So what you're saying is that your tablet experience is great other than that your tablet has never actually worked correctly? And not only that but that ASUS is giving you poo poo customer service? You have a strange definition of "great" :raise:

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Sorry about your poor experience with ASUS. Hopefully it will be corrected/repaired soon!

Sneaking Mission fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 12, 2012

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
a really dumb joke was here

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
With the exception of a seagate HDD that bricked itself, I've had to pay for 1 way shipping on every item I've ever done a warranty repair on so I wouldn't consider that alone to be lovely customer service.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

So what you're saying is that your tablet experience is great other than that your tablet has never actually worked correctly? And not only that but that ASUS is giving you poo poo customer service? You have a strange definition of "great" :raise:

After the RMAs, my user experience has been great. Before the first RMA my user experience was great. My first RMA wasn't even for software or hardware problems, it was a cosmetics problem.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

SlayVus posted:

After the RMAs, my user experience has been great. Before the first RMA my user experience was great. My first RMA wasn't even for software or hardware problems, it was a cosmetics problem.

But your current tablet isn't even functioning as it should? You have to get updates from strangers on a message board. And you've spent over a month without any tablet at all, functional or otherwise. That should seem unacceptable. The next ASUS tablet should be called the Stockholm Syndrome.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

kmcormick9 posted:

With the exception of a seagate HDD that bricked itself, I've had to pay for 1 way shipping on every item I've ever done a warranty repair on so I wouldn't consider that alone to be lovely customer service.
I didn't know Asus made so many different things!

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I didn't know Asus made so many different things!
Did you know that even with an $80 AppleCare plan, the fruit stand will refuse to replace the battery that won't hold a charge on a 16 month old iPhone? Guess how I found out?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

kmcormick9 posted:

Did you know that even with an $80 AppleCare plan, the fruit stand will refuse to replace the battery that won't hold a charge on a 16 month old iPhone? Guess how I found out?
If the battery drops below 50% capacity they will swap it out. I don't understand where this is going though, unless you want to actually say companies like Apple have bad customer service?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

If the battery drops below 50% capacity they will swap it out. I don't understand where this is going though, unless you want to actually say companies like Apple have bad customer service?
I think he's saying he paid to ship it.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

It did and they refused to after plugging it into their modified ipod. They said it was normal despite me getting ~3 hours light use on a charge.
Why? Are you having a problem accepting the fact that someone had a bad experience with the products you so vocally support in a thread about it's competition?

kmcormick9 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I must admit that I thought this was the "Recommend Me A Tablet" thread and not the dedicated Android one.

I would recommend you speaking to a manager if you think you got scammed though dude.

And to the dude above, Apple pays shipping both ways if you're under AppleCare

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kmcormick9 posted:

Why? Are you having a problem accepting the fact that someone had a bad experience with the products you so vocally support in a thread about it's competition?

It's pretty obvious that he is.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
I got a free battery replacement/refurb on a fruit stand phone a year after warranty expired once. The man was very nice and I paid no shipping fees.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

It's pretty obvious that he is.
I just think trying to draw any parallels between Asus and Apple is inane.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I just think trying to draw any parallels between Asus and Apple is inane.
This. You can all go back to talking about the Transformer Infinity now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Most of this support discussion has been from an American perspective - It is worth noting that support on products will differ depending on what part of the world you are in, what consumer laws apply and where you buy the product from.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I bought one of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0s yesterday and I like it because of the size. I do have a couple gripes though. One of the main ones is that Spotify refuses to download offline music to the SD card instead of the limited internal storage. Is there a way to force it to do that? I want to install apps to the SD card too but can't seen to find an option.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Samsung has apparently designed it that way, which kind of sucks. We either have to wait for Samsung to change that or put on a ROM that would let you do it.

revolther
May 27, 2008

FordPRefectLL posted:

I bought one of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0s yesterday and I like it because of the size. I do have a couple gripes though. One of the main ones is that Spotify refuses to download offline music to the SD card instead of the limited internal storage. Is there a way to force it to do that? I want to install apps to the SD card too but can't seen to find an option.
Root?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I thought one of ice cream sandwiches features was that storage would be pooled?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Porkchop Express posted:

Samsung has apparently designed it that way, which kind of sucks. We either have to wait for Samsung to change that or put on a ROM that would let you do it.

Probably good that I bought this from Costco, can exchange if I brick it heh.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, this is kind of a disappointing revelation regarding my new Galaxy Tab 2.

I tried to play a quick round of Draw Something to try out the touchscreen, and my lines were way off and all wobbly. So I fired up Touch Test to see what was going on.

Vertical and horizontal lines go well enough...

But when I try to draw a diagonal line, this happens:

If I press harder and get a wider area of contact with the screen, or if I just swipe really fast, it tends to straighten out a bit:

My HTC Thunderbolt doesn't do this at all, no matter how light a touch I use. I don't really know how capacitive touchscreen tech works, but what it feels like is the underlying matrix of contact points isn't fine enough, so it keeps getting pulled to the nearest one, except when I increase the surface area of my finger and it gets a better interpolation of my actual point of contact.

Is this perhaps Samsung just cheaping out on the touchscreen, or is this a real problem? Should I look into getting a replacement?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Mine is exactly the same. Well, this is disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thats pretty lovely. I would return it for something else, no way I'd put up with that for the life of the device.