Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

yaoi prophet posted:

Guess what this evaluates to in JS:

code:
(![]+[])[+[]]+(![]+[])[+!+[]]+([![]]+[][[]])[+!+[]+[+[]]]+(![]+[])[!+[]+!+[]]

a shitload of weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Otto Skorzeny posted:

a shitload of weed.

http://utf-8.jp/public/aaencode.html

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

yaoi prophet posted:

Guess what this evaluates to in JS:

code:
(![]+[])[+[]]+(![]+[])[+!+[]]+([![]]+[][[]])[+!+[]+[+[]]]+(![]+[])[!+[]+!+[]]

It evaluates to "fail"

I'm going to explain the first few parts:
(![]+[])[+[]] is "f"
[] is an empty array.
![] first casts the array into boolean (true), then negates it, resulting false
![]+[] casts the left side (false, from the previous row) to string ("false"), then .joins() the right side empty array into an empty string, then concatenates the two, resulting the string "false"

So at this point we have
("false")[+[]]
The parentheses are pointless at this point, but were used earlier for grouping.
+[] becomes the number 0, either through string conversion or directly, I don't know.
So now we have "false"[0], which takes the first character of the string, "f".

By doing the same kind of tricks to true, false, undefined (for example [][1]), Infinity (1/0) and NaN (+("false")) you can get the characters adefiIlnNrstuy

e: adding an object ("" + {}) to the above, you get "[object Object]", which increases the available characters to abcdefiIjlnNoOrstuy[]

Wheany fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 12, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

+[] becomes the number 0, either through string conversion or directly, I don't know.

String conversion. Number([].toString())

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Hey man, VB was doing automatic silent type coercion before it was cool :colbert: . Variant says get off my lawn you drat kids!

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Gonna run all my JS through this from now on.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Haha, you can run the output through it over and over to produce arbitrarily large and slow-executing equivalent code.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Haha nice. I'm going to have some annoyed coworkers next week.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Who's ready for some MATLAB?

http://abandonmatlab.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/errors-and-crashes/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Was leafing through the camel book yesterday and came across use constant

code:
use constant A => 1, B => 2;

print A;
Output:
code:
1B2

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Matlab could fill this entire thread with how awful it is.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Carthag posted:

Was leafing through the camel book yesterday and came across use constant

code:
use constant A => 1, B => 2;

print A;
Output:
code:
1B2
Ugh, what language is that?

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

Ugh, what language is that?

what else but perl.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

If I remember perl right, the => operator really just acts as a comma, but also treats strings as quoted, so that's creating an array of (1,'B',2).

Apparently the proper way to do that is as a hash of constants, like:
use constant { A => 1, B => 2};

I don't miss perl.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

It's pretty simple really, the constant package is terrible.

I miss perl a lot.

moynar
Apr 15, 2006
Hello!

Sang- posted:

Matlab could fill this entire thread with how awful it is.

gently caress MATLAB: If you have a function GetData() which returns an array. Say you want the first element. Think you can do GetData()(1)? Nope, gently caress you, that's why. Gotta save to another variable. And this is if you ignore the parenthesis for indexing and the one indexing.

Or the stupid loving warning messages you get whenever you add %#ok to your script to get the editor to stop whining about something stupid, like unused return arguments, which should be replaced by "~" but whenever you actually do that it returns an error because it cannot always be done and so you add the loving '%#ok' to avoid linting messages but then it suddently gives yet another linting error just saying that the supressed message is not generated anymore burn it all down

Or the optional arguments style, which is Function(arg1, arg2, arg3, 'Keyword', 'KeywordValue') which leads to functions which take in strings being unable to process some strings because they trigger keywords. Consider the legend function, which takes in an arbitrary amount of strings, but also has keywords like 'Location' which cannot be used in the legend at all, because it triggers the legend placement subroutine.

And the stupid toolbox logic they use - MATLAB can be licensed per toolbox, which quickly gets expensive. Say that you have the parallel computing toolbox: You can then solve trivially parallel loops using the parfor keyword. What happens when someone doesn't have the parallel toolbox? Does the loop execute serially like with say OpenMP? No gently caress you, it just terminates with a license error, requiring the programmer to write extra logic. And because the for loop is a keyword, you have to duplicate all the logic which isn't in functions since you can't just switch the type of loop.

For the last year I have spent most of my programming in MATLAB. This is also the year when my whisky collection started shrinking, for some reason.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Zombywuf posted:

It's pretty simple really, the constant package is terrible.

I miss perl a lot.

I forgot to mention that it hilariously implements the constant as a function that takes no parameters and returns the value.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Carthag posted:

I forgot to mention that it hilariously implements the constant as a function that takes no parameters and returns the value.

What is a constant but a zero arity function?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, use constant is pretty strongly discouraged in Perl Best Practices.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Does future possibility for horrors count? Because my boss apparently just unironically suggested that we hire a bunch of ITT students and dope them up on caffeine to make the project we're working on move faster.

And oh god, MATLAB. I know a few people who have touched it and they've never been the same since. :ohdear:

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Zamujasa posted:

Does future possibility for horrors count? Because my boss apparently just unironically suggested that we hire a bunch of ITT students and dope them up on caffeine to make the project we're working on move faster.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
It's really too bad it doesn't show the whole picture. I have it on my desk. Off to the left, there's sabertooth tigers and vultures waiting for the bears to either get out of the tar or simply perish.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

Ugh, I know. I've tried linking this (as well as things like evidence-based estimating/scheduling) but it does not help at all. They have no idea how programming works.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Zamujasa posted:

Ugh, I know. I've tried linking this (as well as things like evidence-based estimating/scheduling) but it does not help at all. They have no idea how programming works.

Try linking it twice so he can read it twice as fast :eng99:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

tef posted:

Try linking it twice so he can read it twice as fast :eng99:

That's silly, he just needs to have 8 people to read 44 pages apiece

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Zamujasa posted:

And oh god, MATLAB. I know a few people who have touched it and they've never been the same since. :ohdear:

Hire one to work on a minor project. When the project crashes and burns, use that as an example to never hire them again.

Unless your boss will suggest you hire another one to help the first one. Then you're screwed.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
If your boss suggests hiring a second inexperienced code monkey to help the first, show him a clip from the end of Simpsons S05E11 - "Homer the Vigilante" (after the townspeople start to dig for treasure and fail to find anything):

"I guess we're not going to find anything."
"Uh, how are we going to get out of here?"
"We'll dig our way out!"
"No, no, dig up, stupid!"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

tef posted:

So did I :smith:

Some ie9 user got butthurt that my avatar crashes/slows down their browser

Does it make me a bad person that I want to find out who it was and then buy them your avatar?

Zamujasa posted:

What does ITT mean here?

Also - even apart from TMMM and the non-fungibility of programmer time - caffeine? Was he joking, or does he think that wiring the students up on caffeine will help them work faster?

Or does he think the answer is to work super-long hours and stay awake using coffee so they can make more fatigue-related mistakes per day? :ohdear:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ToxicFrog posted:

What does ITT mean here?

If watching the same six films over and over again on what used to be called TBS is any indication, ITT is a lovely "technical school" that takes money from people in exchange for what is, in the computing industry, a worthless piece of paper.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

ToxicFrog posted:

Does it make me a bad person that I want to find out who it was and then buy them your avatar?

What does ITT mean here?

Also - even apart from TMMM and the non-fungibility of programmer time - caffeine? Was he joking, or does he think that wiring the students up on caffeine will help them work faster?

Or does he think the answer is to work super-long hours and stay awake using coffee so they can make more fatigue-related mistakes per day? :ohdear:

If you're not American, ITT is essentially a degree mill with a focus on technology, although I remember them expanding into crime/law enforcement related fields.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Basically ITT Technical Institute.

The controversies part is really accurate. Even years after I checked them out I still get junk mail from them (and rarely a phone call). From the few resumes I've seen, most of the people we're referred from there have little to no actual experience doing anything.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Zamujasa posted:

Basically ITT Technical Institute.

The controversies part is really accurate. Even years after I checked them out I still get junk mail from them (and rarely a phone call). From the few resumes I've seen, most of the people we're referred from there have little to no actual experience doing anything.

I knew it was worthless but this is outstanding:

quote:

"[The teacher wrote], 'Excellent job on the pro cons list. You were able to generate the required number of points, counter points for each issue'". Then, we asked Bradley to read what he actually emailed his teacher: "Ingredients: 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, one pinch salt, two eggs beaten..."

Yup, a noodle recipe.

"It's exactly what I handed in for a hundred (percent)," said Bradley.

(from an article linked to from wikipedia.)

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
My dad got an EE associates there in the 70s :smith:. I don't think it had that reputation back then, or at least he lucked out and got teachers who gave a poo poo because he got enough education from there to start his career of circuit designing, starting with DEC right out of school.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010
Given that I was suckered into going to ITT for 4 years, I can vouch that my piece of paper is not worth anything. I actually had motivation to learn stuff on my own, but my god the school itself was worthless. I literally got A in classes I never turned anything in for.

In my defense, I thought the idea of small classes with a focus on technology sounded great. In practice, it meant I saw the same six people for every class and the technology itself was outdated and severely locked down (and thus useless for actually, ya know, learning).

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Bhaal posted:

My dad got an EE associates there in the 70s :smith:. I don't think it had that reputation back then, or at least he lucked out and got teachers who gave a poo poo because he got enough education from there to start his career of circuit designing, starting with DEC right out of school.

I get the impression that ITT didn't turn into complete poo poo until the 90s. It's always been a meat-and-potatoes trade school, but it might not have always been worthless.

One of the senior developers at my company has a degree from ITT. We basically ignored it. His technical acumen and his demonstrable work experience got him hired. Without the degree, we would have hired him anyway.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

DaTroof posted:

Without the degree, we would have hired him anyway.

I don't doubt that, but would he have had an interview in the first place without the degree?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

epswing posted:

I don't doubt that, but would he have had an interview in the first place without the degree?

Yes, but you bring up a legitimate point. In my company, applications for the development team come straight to the development team. If they went through an HR department with an arbitrary set of guidelines to follow, a lack of degree might have kept us from seeing it.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Spent two days chasing down this bug.

code:
[ RUN      ] SizeofTest.Sizes
unittest/sizeof_test.cc:11: Failure
Expected: (1000) > (sizeof(cache_t)), actual: 1000 vs 151288
[  FAILED  ] SizeofTest.Sizes (98 ms)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bhaal posted:

ITT started mostly as a hands-on trades school and had pretty good engineering course. Then they went down the late night informercial rabbit hole and will probably never come out. Compare and Contrast with DeVry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

shrughes posted:

Spent two days chasing down this bug.

code:
[ RUN      ] SizeofTest.Sizes
unittest/sizeof_test.cc:11: Failure
Expected: (1000) > (sizeof(cache_t)), actual: 1000 vs 151288
[  FAILED  ] SizeofTest.Sizes (98 ms)

google-test buddy! :respek:

PS why does this need to be tested, does sizeof(cache_t) frequently change?