Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Speed bleeders > mityvac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Finished the new seat. No gel this time, just a nice neoprene 3/4 inch foam I glued to a new seat pan. Shaped it with with a razor blade and sanding wheel. Cut the leather and glued it front and back, shaved the edges and sanded them, then put it all together with brass post screws. Stained it dark mahogany and sealed it. Lots of fun.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 9, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I just ordered Speedbleeders for both SV's. :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Spreading like a virus. I ordered speedbleeders for the DRZ and the SV a couple of days ago.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
At $7 each, you can't go wrong with making brake-bleeding helluva easier. They also help you understand bleeding better. I couldn't comprehend the concept of bleeding brakes and kept on failing at it until I installed Speed Bleeders on an old SV of mine. With astonishing ease, I bled its brakes, with the bleeding concept slamming into me. Then I got up and ran over to my old Ninja and bled its non-SpeedBleeders brakes easily.

I'm planning to do a handlebar swap and a possible brake-line swap too, so this will just help make everything easier on me.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 9, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Hmm I think I might like to try those speedbleeders.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What do those do? I just bought my first bike and one of my first tasks is changing the brake fluid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When you change your brake fluid, it is a Very Bad Thing to have air bubbles in the fluid lines. Normally the way you get rid of bubbles is by opening a port or valve in the system, squeezing the handle/pushing the pedal to squirt out some fluid + air, closing the port, releasing the handle, and repeating many times. If you don't do it carefully in this order, more air will enter through the open valve. This is a pain in the rear end.

A speedbleeder is a little spring-loaded check valve that opens and closes itself under pressure, so all you do is unscrew the valve a bit, squeeze the handle a bunch of times, and tighten it down again. Done.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is it easy to install into a 2002 Ninja 250? I'm assuming I need to find the drain valve swap out whatever bleeders are in there with those? I'll have to look up exactly how to do it. I do mechanical and electrical work on helicopters for a living but without a guide I still suck.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

blue squares posted:

Is it easy to install into a 2002 Ninja 250? I'm assuming I need to find the drain valve swap out whatever bleeders are in there with those? I'll have to look up exactly how to do it. I do mechanical and electrical work on helicopters for a living but without a guide I still suck.

I worked on helicopters in the navy, too, and motorcycles are 400% easier. You'll be fine with just a parts diagram and the name of the device.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

blue squares posted:

if you can remove and replace a bolt, you can swap bleeders.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

if you can remove and replace a bolt, you can swap bleeders.

whoa WHOA BUDDY - SLOW DOWN

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

Ziploc posted:

I looked this up. And it appears that not everyone agrees. http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MITMV8020-MIT6820-Brake-Bleeding/dp/B000FUMWTM

Tamir Lenk posted:

I don't have a MightyVac, but once I swapped my stock bleeders for speed bleeders, changing brake fluid is easy.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=4596

If you have leaks in your lines or a clogged MC reservoir, bleeding brakes will suck rear end with any tool.

n8r posted:

Speed bleeders > mityvac.

Never said that there were no other viable options.

I think it's useful to be able to quickly bleed the brakes on any vehicle. I get a lot of requests to help with basic maintenance on my friends stuff. So the Mityvac comes in handy. Plus it only cost me 30 something bucks.

As for the people complaining about it not sealing or making a mess. That is just improper use. If you do not keep the reservoir upright, the fluid gets in to the Air pump and goes every where.

Also, I like that my post inspired a few guy to go wrench on their bike and improve it. :)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slidebite posted:

whoa WHOA BUDDY - SLOW DOWN

alright I'll break it down for you:
  1. grab a beer
  2. grab a wrench
  3. grab some rubber gloves
  4. spend 4 hours dicking around the internet
  5. use wrench to loosen bleeder (remember, lefty-loosey)
  6. curse the gods when you fail and round off the bleeder
  7. grab some vice grips and a hammer
  8. accidentally snap off bleeder valve
  9. grab an E-Z out
  10. make things much-much worse (and hope to god you don't snap off tip of e-z out)
  11. buy a set of left handed drill bits
  12. snap all of them off in the bleeder
  13. drill out the bleeder valve
  14. realize you hosed up the threads on the caliper
  15. cry
  16. purchase new calipers
  17. install speedbleeders (remember, righty-tighty)

And that's all there is to it!

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

echomadman posted:

Looks nice, do you need to rejet for that can?

As an update, no. I don't have to rejet. It makes a little popping sound when I close the throttle, but there are no lulls in power all the way to 8k. A++++++ would install again.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

alright I'll break it down for you:
  1. grab a beer
  2. grab a wrench
  3. grab some rubber gloves
  4. spend 4 hours dicking around the internet
  5. get clean gloves to replace the pair you soiled with hand lotion
  6. use wrench to loosen bleeder (remember, lefty-loosey)
    try some penetrating oil
  7. curse the gods when you fail and round off the bleeder
  8. grab some vice grips and a hammer
  9. accidentally snap off bleeder valve
  10. grab an E-Z out
    put it in the trash, because NEVER USE E-Z OUTS FOR ANYTHING
  11. make things much-much worse (and hope to god you don't snap off tip of e-z out)
  12. buy a set of left handed drill bits
  13. snap all of them off in the bleeder
  14. drill out the bleeder valve
  15. realize you hosed up the threads on the caliper
  16. cry
  17. purchase new calipers
  18. install speedbleeders (remember, righty-tighty)

And that's all there is to it!

Actually, lefty bits are awesome and you should not really have them snap. Bleeders are the easiest thing to drill out, since they come with a pre-drilled pilot hole. Just start small with the lefty bit and work your way up the sizes. If you're fairly careful, you'll be able to fish out the threads before loving up the caliper.

E-Z OUTS are the worse than Hitler.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tamir Lenk posted:

Actually, lefty bits are awesome and you should not really have them snap. Bleeders are the easiest thing to drill out, since they come with a pre-drilled pilot hole. Just start small with the lefty bit and work your way up the sizes. If you're fairly careful, you'll be able to fish out the threads before loving up the caliper.

E-Z OUTS are the worse than Hitler.

got one stuck in a case bolt. gently caress MY LIFE.
It wasn't pretty.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I ordered a sheet of naval brass today to cut and shape and turn into heat shields for the new exhaust. I am excited about this. Especially since the brass was only 40 bucks.

So I will buy some pvc pipe, brace it, hammer the brass over the pipe to the right form, grind it down and smooth the corners, etch in some kind of steam punkish pattern with a galvanic etching set up, then braise on mounts to the underside and fix them into place.

After polishing it should look pretty sweet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I'm still trying to figure out what the gently caress to do about decals for my buddy's CB750.

Anyone have suggestions?

Here's the latest designs.
Here's the previous.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what the gently caress to do about decals for my buddy's CB750.

Anyone have suggestions?

Here's the latest designs.
Here's the previous.

I love the old school Honda logo, so I'd go with this one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

orthod0ks posted:

I love the old school Honda logo, so I'd go with this one.

how about :

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
what about a blend with some newer school set up on the logo?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Errant Gin Monks posted:

what about a blend with some newer school set up on the logo?

HAHA
...actually this isn't terrible.

There's no black outline to the decals though they're CNC'd from reflective vinyl.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Small and spartan, so you don't break up the lines of the tank or overpower the rest of the bike:

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb1100

Technically this is OLD old school, sort of like the old 305s, but it's classy as hell. It would also work given that those old bikes were generally silver like yours.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Marv Hushman posted:

Small and spartan, so you don't break up the lines of the tank or overpower the rest of the bike:

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb1100

Technically this is OLD old school, sort of like the old 305s, but it's classy as hell. It would also work given that those old bikes were generally silver like yours.

That's a good suggestion I'm gonna try to draw up some stuff in illustrator and see how it comes out.

I tried decals similar to the CB360 but they got shot down. (this is for a friend's bike)

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's a good suggestion I'm gonna try to draw up some stuff in illustrator and see how it comes out.

I tried decals similar to the CB360 but they got shot down. (this is for a friend's bike)

Maybe just do the plain HONDA on the sides of the tank with some of that bold pin striping and throw the logos on the back plastics?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I prepped my brake calipers for bead blasting and painting. I didn't take pictures of all the nasty stuff that came out, but on the rear the dust seal failed and let water into the cylinder. One million years with a bamboo skewer and brake fluid resulted in all of the boiled on brake fluid and gunk out of the grooves.

Sure is pretty :/

Cruddy caliper in

Pristine caliper out

I did learn that having wet air makes your beads goop up in the nooks and crannies, so I scrubbed it with a toothbrush and hit it with a heat gun. Having it go into the blaster hot helped immensely. From how many times my compressor had to cycle to do just one, I think I will take the time I would spend doing the others and hook up the power to my larger compressor.

I can't wait to try this stuff out, it's supposed to be impervious to brake fluid once cured, it's a dry Teflon lube, and it's supposed to help with heat transfer.

Here is a rad shot of other brake bit type things that are going on while I wait for other parts and paint these calipers.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

These would rule:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tank-Em...728469a&vxp=mtr

Or a similar repro version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-TANK-BADGE-FIREBLADE-/150812502475?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item231d2029cb

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

I want those first ones real bad. Might buy those next week.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I want those first ones real bad. Might buy those next week.

Luckily they're late model part numbers, so punch 'em in and comparison shop.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Viper_3000 posted:

Maybe just do the plain HONDA on the sides of the tank with some of that bold pin striping and throw the logos on the back plastics?

I already bought 4 sets of logos actually. 2 large red, 2 small red, 2 large white and 2 small white, all reflective because I like the idea of being more visible at night.

After realizing the large ones leave a lot to be desired (empty space) on the tank I thought about putting the Honda wings on the sidecovers and then putting some sort of lines or stripes on the tank.

I've been playing with pinstripes but I don't think that's the look my friend is going for. It's especially tough because I think at this point he doesn't really care unless it's something spectacular. I on the other hand care a whole lot because I've had this thing in my garage for about a year now.

It's killing me.

I want to put those on a Benelli tank for my CB750. They fit perfectly and would be loving gorgeous.

Edit: here's some more.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 12, 2012

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Got the mold for my seat almost done.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Installed shogun no cut frame sliders on the 2010 ninja 250. A bit of a pain in the rear end with having to cut the sprocket cover but generally a simple job. Took me 2.5 Hrs and I'm typically slower than most.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gweenz posted:

Got the mold for my seat almost done.

I'm liking the look of that. Would you consider making more than one of them? I've got a cb360 and a cb400F that would look pretty sweet on.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm liking the look of that. Would you consider making more than one of them? I've got a cb360 and a cb400F that would look pretty sweet on.

Thanks! This is my first foray into fiberglassing so I will have to let you know how it turns out. I might consider making another if it doesn't turn out to be too frustrating. I've been sperging out trying to get the lines to flow with the tank of the 360 so not sure how it would look on a 400f, which is more of a squarish tank.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gweenz posted:

Thanks! This is my first foray into fiberglassing so I will have to let you know how it turns out. I might consider making another if it doesn't turn out to be too frustrating. I've been sperging out trying to get the lines to flow with the tank of the 360 so not sure how it would look on a 400f, which is more of a squarish tank.

it would look better than no seat.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
put an easy 100 miles on today... absolutely perfect weather. 75, not a cloud in the sky with a slight warm breeze. Snapped two lovely photos while I stretched my legs.

I need to pick up a GoPro, this time of year is beyond beautiful in the more rural areas of NH.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally had a chance to wash & wax her. Spent a bit of time in the undercarriage with some degreaser and brush. There are now parts of the bike seeing daylight for the first time since if owned her anyway. Got a good spray of it on the front of the engine too so I can track down any future gasket leaks. Ran out of time before dinner, so no oil change. Guess Sunday's the time for it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You know, I never thought that particular Nighthawk was a very pretty design, but somehow it looks a lot better with all the badges cleaned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Came down to ride the bike to work (bad weather's had me in the car last few days) and I find the license plate bent away from the back, almost folded completely over. The tail tidy plate behind it was undamaged, the rear tire can't reach, I don't see any other damage anywhere else. The plate's held on with thumbscrews in the top two corners, so if someone was trying to steal it they could have it off in seconds. Perplexing.