Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

Got an odd one here. I'm writing a letter to a Warrant Officer in the Canadian Forces but I'm not sure what the correct way to address him is. Would I write "Dear CD1 Warrant Officer Jim Bob" or "Dear Warrant Officer Jim Bob" or just use the standard Mr. line? I'm applying for a job and I know from some Ameri-goon friends that addressing someone in the army correctly matters, especially at high ranks. I know literally nothing of the US army or the Canadian Forces but I'd like to get this little thing right. Google just returns me American Army resources but I don't know if it's the same for the Canadian Forces.

This should work:

CD1 [lastname],

body of letter,

Respectfully,

Mr. Pez Ez Dispenser,
[job title],
[organization]
[contact information]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

GreenMeat posted:

This should work:

CD1 [lastname],

body of letter,

Respectfully,

Mr. Pez Ez Dispenser,
[job title],
[organization]
[contact information]

Cheers!

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I read through that, but still have some questions that I could use help with. Anyone with experience willing to answer some questions?

I don't know how much help I'll be, but you can PM me if you can't find any better resources.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 3, 2013

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone taken a Space A flight to/from Hawaii before? Would it be a cool way to vacation and save a good chunk of cash? Or so inconvenient/uncomfortable that I'm better off spending the ~$700 for a ticket?

I heard second hand that the Navy unit that flies -130's at Pt Mugu (appears to be VR-55) makes regular flights to Hawaii.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FooGoo posted:

Has anyone taken a Space A flight to/from Hawaii before? Would it be a cool way to vacation and save a good chunk of cash? Or so inconvenient/uncomfortable that I'm better off spending the ~$700 for a ticket?

I heard second hand that the Navy unit that flies -130's at Pt Mugu (appears to be VR-55) makes regular flights to Hawaii.

My best experience with space-a was catching a c-21 at Andrews to kaneohe mcb. Just me and the flight crew.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Canadian WOs are senior NCOs while American ones are officers that rank between enlisted and below regular commissioned officers. Two different things. Dunno how to address the Canadian one.

YankeeAirPirate
Jun 3, 2006

"Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work."
edit

YankeeAirPirate fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 17, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't know about lifetime updates, but I've heard good things about both milthin and ultrathin. Ultrathin is just down the road from me.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Yeah, I've used ultrathin and their prices are very reasonable, shipping is fast, etc.

edit: Ultrathin will upgrade your ribbons. It's not a "lifetime for $100" type deal, but it does seem better than ordering a new rack just to add one ribbon. They even have a calculator on that page to determine if it will be more cost effective to add or just order a new set.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 12, 2012

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Anyone know what non-Christian/Jewish religions are represented in the chaplain corps? I know there's at least one Hindu, and I've heard rumors of a Wicca chaplain.

Xanzar
Oct 7, 2011

Red Crown posted:

Anyone know what non-Christian/Jewish religions are represented in the chaplain corps? I know there's at least one Hindu, and I've heard rumors of a Wicca chaplain.

There's a Wiccan service in AF basic. I have never used the chaplain services, so I don't know what translates to active duty.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
A Lt once told me that there was a Buddhist one.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
We had Buddhist in Army basic at Sill. I never went and now I regret that.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
I went to the Buddhist services at Parris Island because it was chill as gently caress. It was recruit run since Buddhism wasn't recognized by the Marine Corps. Then the last day I was there some Chaplain came by and said that it was recognized, but we still just ran our own poo poo.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I want to enlist in the military just to get them to recognize my Pastafarian religion. :smug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oxford Comma posted:

I want to enlist in the military just to get them to recognize my Pastafarian religion. :smug:

Apropos: http://boingboing.net/2012/05/09/how-a-us-soldier-finally-got-h.html

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

E

Country_Blumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 6, 2012

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Snoop Rocket posted:

I'm kind of at a loss right now so I'll post this here. Apparently, I was diagnosed by two different VA doctors with TBI in 2007 and was never informed, verbally or through documentation. I did all the tests (MRIs, etc) and they sent me on my way. This was during the time I was filing my claim. They gave me a rating for PTSD and sent me on my way without even hinting at the TBI (which is why I assumed they didn't find anything).

Fast-forward five years and I get a letter in the mail saying I qualify as a candidate for a research study for TBI. I call the number on the letter and ask the research guy why I'm getting this if I wasn't diagnosed with it, he looks at my records and sure enough, I was and its all in there.

I know this was the time before the whole TBI thing was getting a lot of attention and they combined it with PTSD/lowballed guys over it or whatever, but I'm wondering now what recourse I have with it.

I contacted my county VA rep and am meeting him tomorrow. I'm going to request my records from the VA hospital and visit the TBI clinic sometime this week.

tl;dr The VA diagnosed me with TBI and didn't tell me until five years after the fact. What do? Anyone go through anything similar?

I'm in a similar spot now, after a recent VA check up I was given a diagnosis of TBI that's service related. Do you have any more info on the research study? I'd love to be able to help out future sufferers.

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

E

Country_Blumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 6, 2012

squelch
Mar 8, 2005

KILL KILL KILL HURR
I keep on hearing rumors about them putting into place an FY13 Voluntary Separation Incentive for Marines separating after at least six years of service. Does anybody know anything about this? I can never get a straight answer. I am in a critically overmanned MOS (0621), and will have 8 1/2 years of time in service upon separation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

6 years was the cutoff for the AF's program. The AF wouldn't announce it until the end of this fiscal year, though. At this point there's probably no actual decision yet, but they might be looking at it.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
I'm currently in the Navy and I'm seeing the doctor in about a week for a possible injury in both knees. I'm pretty sure that I have a torn meniscus in my right knee.

I know that the severity is going to determine the outcome of my medical diagnosis, but worse case scenario, could I be discharged medically from the Navy? Or would I simply be put on limited duty for a few months? The torn meniscus is service related.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ideal Paradigm posted:

I'm currently in the Navy and I'm seeing the doctor in about a week for a possible injury in both knees. I'm pretty sure that I have a torn meniscus in my right knee.

I know that the severity is going to determine the outcome of my medical diagnosis, but worse case scenario, could I be discharged medically from the Navy? Or would I simply be put on limited duty for a few months? The torn meniscus is service related.

Limdu. I think you would probably need to have trouble walking for a discharge. I know people that were Limdu for 6-9 months for broken legs/arms/hernias whatever, its not uncommon.

ETMPlus
Jul 28, 2008

You're going to be the Eleventh Commandment: 'Thou shalt not get away with it.'
Anyone have any experience getting a car shipped during a CONUS PCS? I'm PCSing in August, and rather than drive my beloved shitbox from Oregon to Virginia, I'm thinking about having it shipped. The government won't pay for it, but does anyone know of a decent hauler that won't rob me? Thanks!

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Limdu. I think you would probably need to have trouble walking for a discharge. I know people that were Limdu for 6-9 months for broken legs/arms/hernias whatever, its not uncommon.

Right, but with the current status of the economy and how they're cutting people left and right, I thought it might be a possibility. I talked to another Sailor about his injury (severed tendon in his left arm) and he said that he ended up going to a medical board where they were considering retainability because he was limited duty for 9 months with a year and a half of physical therapy.

I think the only reason he was kept was because he already had about 8 years in or so. Contrast that to me, I'm barely coming up on my 2 year mark.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ETMPlus posted:

Anyone have any experience getting a car shipped during a CONUS PCS? I'm PCSing in August, and rather than drive my beloved shitbox from Oregon to Virginia, I'm thinking about having it shipped. The government won't pay for it, but does anyone know of a decent hauler that won't rob me? Thanks!

The govt should pay to ship one car, two if you're married.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
No, they wont ship it unless its extraordinary circumstances. Just PCSd from Polk to WA and we had to drive ours, shipping on the Gov dime was not an option.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

No, they wont ship it unless its extraordinary circumstances. Just PCSd from Polk to WA and we had to drive ours, shipping on the Gov dime was not an option.

Well drat. That's what I get for doing partial DITY moves every time anyway.

Edit: VVV Yeah, I actually looked that up when I saw your response. Every move I can remember as a kid involved OCONUS, and all my own CONUS-CONUS moves were P-diddys. Looks like I'll be moving two cars on my own lol.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 18, 2012

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqpovconus.cfm#Q1

Its a cost thing.

But that doesn't help dude out at all.

Make the drive dude it's a beautiful drive. (sometimes)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Echoing the sentiment, just do the drive. I just got done with it, it ruled.

(my roommate did it a couple of months before and his engine blew in Illinois lol)

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone used a VA Loan to purchase a single family residence or condo? How was the rate compared to a regular FHA rate? What about the experience overall?

I'm hearing a lot of negativity towards VA Loans and I'm debating if I should even go through the trouble of trying to use it, or just go conventional. Being able to delay the down payment with VA would help me a lot, but it won't help me if I can't get the property I want because the seller doesn't want VA Loans...

Xanzar
Oct 7, 2011

FooGoo posted:

Has anyone used a VA Loan to purchase a single family residence or condo? How was the rate compared to a regular FHA rate? What about the experience overall?

I'm hearing a lot of negativity towards VA Loans and I'm debating if I should even go through the trouble of trying to use it, or just go conventional. Being able to delay the down payment with VA would help me a lot, but it won't help me if I can't get the property I want because the seller doesn't want VA Loans...

We bank through Chase, and when we were buying a car loan through them we asked about home buying. It was my understanding that they basically middle-manned the VA loan. It sounded pretty easy to us. We are far away from home buying, so we didn't dig into all of the details.

Are you talking about a property seller or the bank loan seller not liking VA loans? The property seller gets paid no matter where the money comes from, and banks should love VA loans because they are guaranteed loans and therefor free money in interest to them. Correct me if I am wrong.

Xanzar fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 19, 2012

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ETMPlus posted:

I had to pay 800 bucks to get my car shipped from Connecticut to Kansas. The guy cracked my bug shield.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FooGoo posted:

The VA doesn't issue you a loan, the bank of your choice does. The VA just guarantees a portion of the loan to offset the "need" for a down payment. My rate was on par for the time.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
How do I store poo poo (houseworth) while deployed. Is pods worth the price for them to drop off and pick up?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't know anyone who did pods, but a few people put their poo poo in a rental storage place.

Xanzar
Oct 7, 2011

You need to compare PODS vs traditional storage.

Do you have a vehicle capable to delivering all of your goods to a brick-and-mortar storage location? How much will it cost to rent or borrow a vehicle if not.

Compare the cost of drop-off/pick-up/delivery of a PODS unit and their storage fee per month to the monthly cost of a traditional storage unit.

I recommend whichever one is the cheapest is the one your should store your stuff at.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also keep in mind whether or not your stuff (electronics, furniture) needs to be in a dry, climate-controlled environment or not.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This is my grandfather on the left and his brother on the right in WWII. Can someone tell me why one is wearing a light shirt with a dark tie and the other is wearing a dark poo poo with a light tie? Also, the different hats?

I don't know anything about what they did except that they were army enlisted. Is one an NCO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
here is where i meant to post this not the army thread

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Dumb army pcs question, is there any way to check and see if my travel vouchers, DLA and all that other poo poo has been submitted online through anything? I tried logging on to DTS but apparently I don't have access v:v:v

I feel like its one of those things I used to know but either things have changed or late onset fetal alcohol syndrome or something had given me brain damage

• Locked thread