Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007
IS there any good UI's to use on a laptop? My screen resolution is like only 1366x768, but everything I see on EQinterface is a minimum for 1650x1080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ante Christ posted:

IS there any good UI's to use on a laptop? My screen resolution is like only 1366x768, but everything I see on EQinterface is a minimum for 1650x1080.

EQ has never been laptop friendly as far as the ungodly UI goes. Most folks use AYA and Lodi from EQinterface and gently caress with it enough to make it work on a laptop. I just use the bare bones default UI- but can't display half the poo poo I do on my desktop.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Kokayeena in game. <3

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

RCarr posted:

Working on my 1.0 right now as a 70 Necro. Everything is cake except for the Slime Blood of Cazik Thule. Fear is pretty much perma-camped and the people who do this wanted to charge 25k for a useless item that its ONLY used for Necro 1.0 (which in itself is useless besides nostalgia's sake).

From a few pages back, but doesn't the mob in PoA death touch? How did you deal with that, if I might ask?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ante Christ posted:

Watui linked in the OP somewhere is about the most minimalist UI I've found for laptop use.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

cryptoclastic posted:

From a few pages back, but doesn't the mob in PoA death touch? How did you deal with that, if I might ask?

Can't say anything about this mob specifically, but for other DT mobs you just send the pet in first to eat the DT, then burn him down before he can cast it again.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like the servers are down...

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In other news, the butt doctor is back from exile.

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby
Would anyone be kind and promote me so I can withdraw a few defiant pieces from the guild bank? Name is Merovi. :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ante Christ posted:

You can always move and resize (some) windows. The UIs on EQInterface are usually setup with the windows in certain positions, so the UI configuration the author had in mind is pixel-perfect and often has the windows surrounding the visible area. But, just pick and choose the elements you want to use and move them as you wish.

cryptoclastic posted:

If you have a cleric merc, you can solo them. Here's a post I made on Zam:

Have a cleric merc ready. Stand behind the mob you wish to kill, and fire off your biggest one-hit attack. For example, an SK should use HT, a monk use their triple FK attack, a wizard should use his biggest nuke, and so forth.

You will die a split-second after the damage lands. Your merc should immediately begin casting res, which you accept, then click Ressurrect in the respawn window. Now you have around 35 seconds to kill the mob before it can DT again. A mana user will need to use some form of very quick mana regen, and a melee will need to use a form of endurance regen, such as Respite to get going. I managed to kill the Overseer this way as a level 88 monk. :)

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Sparxx is a pretty cool UI, I don't use a laptop but a lot of the stuff is pretty compact. Changing your font to something like Segoi UI might help too.

Luclin goons: If anyone has or comes across a bunch of ROG tradeskill leaves with 60,65,and 70 level Requirements. Toss them to a friendly rogue or dump them onto that jackass Dijital. They will be called Stale Oleander or Larkspur or something similar.

They are entirely useless to anyone but rogues and I don't think they are worth a lot on the bazaar, if you can even sell them. But rogue make poisons out of them and they make moloing not as lovely. Plus I can toss some Spider Bites in the guildbank that all classes can use.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 10, 2012

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Rapacity posted:

I doubt it. I'm playing on a years old laptop and the load times are negligible to be honest. Not like the old days when I'd get kicked and have to wait about 8 minutes just to get back in.

I camped this item Wand of Imperceptibility the other day because I like daft things like that. Does anyone know of any other fun items that'd be easy for a 74 necro to get these days? Doesn't have to be awesome, just something to break up the grind to go get.
I camped this all day and eventually got two in a row for my gnomes. You can't shrink gnomes. :(

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Oben posted:

I camped this all day and eventually got two in a row for my gnomes. You can't shrink gnomes. :(

don't they actually get bigger if shrink is casted on them?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Oben posted:

Now get some Illusions that make you big enough to be worth shrinking.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Riteik posted:

Are rangers real dps now a days? The last time I played seriously was back in planes of power where we took rangers just cause they filled up slots. All I see about them is talking about headshot.

Kind of late and has no impact on your actual question, but back in PoP is when Rangers really started to become legitimately good DPS. EQ/AM3 and a good bow (and decent gear, but that goes for everybody really) and they could plink away with impunity for pretty good DPS. Their normal DPS was pretty decent and with their DPS disc (Trueshot, I think?) they were very useful in raids.

Anybody who stuck with the "lol Ranger" mentality was stuck back in Classic/Kunark and to a lesser extent, Velious.

Evor 3
Feb 19, 2010
Yes, given the right AAs rangers are reasonable DPS these days. Their versatility makes them fun to play as well. (snare, heal, can tank a bit, some crowd control, etc.)

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Oben posted:

ahahahahaha beautiful.

heisenberg
Dec 17, 2008
Well, this is an odd problem. Been headshotting in PoFire for too long on Rangash (up to nearly 600 AAs), I camp out there, and try to log in today. Game won't let me. Try a few more times, still no luck. Logged in to another character fine, ran him to PoFire, and it fails - half of the time it dumps me back to a screen that says "Your login could not be validated", the other half it takes me to the server select.

I tried deleting my UI files, I tried doing the "Validate Game Assets", heck I even tried removing all of my pofire files from the EQ directory and having the patcher redownload. Nothing. I opened a /petition, but I'm sure it takes them 3 weeks to respond. Anyone have any other potential fixes? I need to poopsock some more AAs!

Mike_Hawk
Jun 7, 2009
Why the gently caress am I having fun playing this game again?? On the verge of poopsocking.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

heisenberg posted:

Well, this is an odd problem. Been headshotting in PoFire for too long on Rangash (up to nearly 600 AAs), I camp out there, and try to log in today. Game won't let me. Try a few more times, still no luck. Logged in to another character fine, ran him to PoFire, and it fails - half of the time it dumps me back to a screen that says "Your login could not be validated", the other half it takes me to the server select.

I tried deleting my UI files, I tried doing the "Validate Game Assets", heck I even tried removing all of my pofire files from the EQ directory and having the patcher redownload. Nothing. I opened a /petition, but I'm sure it takes them 3 weeks to respond. Anyone have any other potential fixes? I need to poopsock some more AAs!

Some of our members had the same problem a few patches ago, here's a thread with info http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=184533

Check your dbg.log for some lines that look like:

quote:

[Tue Mar 20 18:58:46 2012]00249:Could not connect to 69.174.201.157:1900 [client:DisconnectReasonConnectFail,server:DisconnectReasonNone]. Negotiation count: 601.

[Tue Mar 20 18:58:46 2012]00250:Networking: Connection Closed [0] with 0 pending bytes.
[Tue Mar 20 18:58:46 2012]00251:Failed to connect to zoneserver (69.174.201.157, port 1900), result = 1, for MSG_ZONE_ADDRESS.

[Tue Mar 20 18:58:46 2012]00252:THE SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING.

If you find that, note the port number then check http://www.firebind.com/ and run some tests with that port. Your ISP may be blocking the port that the zone sever for PoFire is currently using. You can try contacting your ISP to get that port unblocked, or wait till the servers go down because the server randomly pick ports after patches.

You can petition a GM to move your characters out of any zones you're stuck in or wait 6 hours for the return home option to show up on character select.

Yes, it is completely stupid for SOE to be using ports that are commonly blocked by ISPs for its zone servers.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Mike_Hawk posted:

Why the gently caress am I having fun playing this game again?? On the verge of poopsocking.

Ditto, gotten my Necro up to 27 in 2 days of playing by myself after years off. It's insane. That would have taken me like 2 months back in the day. I'm sure I could have done it in like 2-3 hours if I knew what I was doing, but I'm just getting back into things. As It is I have like 22 hours played time in 2 days :stare:. Haven't done that in a while.

I think know why I'm having fun playing this game, because every single little thing that used to be lovely about it is better an easier now! Hooray for modern conveniences! I can't believe how badly the game was out to gently caress you on every turn in 1999.

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?
I am under the same impression. If you need any 60 druid buffs or random gear, message Literally or Unfortunately (my box team). I do mostly older and empty zones, so I have a lot of junk (awesome poo poo). I was able to PL the Necro with the druid to 50 in 17 hours /played.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

MrTheDevious posted:

Edit - slight changes to UI based on Zliz recommendations - now features way smaller merc window and more compact buff window. Screenshot and DL link below

http://i.imgur.com/g8Z52.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?j8kf8l0o5eavj08

This was posted like 20 pages back but I really like this UI. Since the file is down I've tried to recreate it myself. I've managed to delete old spell icons and replace the buff and spell windows in vertui with the sparxx one, but I couldn't figure out how to make the buff and merc windows smaller.

So I said screw it and I tried load it in the game and it just refreshed my default ui. It doesn't even load. Basically what I'm trying to say is I'm stupid and doing something wrong and does anyone have a link to that custom UI file, or some advice? I really want to use Vert but I can't stand the buff and spell windows, as well as the large merc window.

Damo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 12, 2012

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I know in Sparxx the mini-merc window is actually the /gems window. Try replacing the gems.xml from the custom UI.

The "gems" window makes WASD movement unresponsive for me though, so I had to stop using it.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 12, 2012

heisenberg
Dec 17, 2008
Well, any time I try to go to any forum.station.sony link I get a "problem loading page" error for some godforsaken reason.

Here's the error I run into:

[Fri May 11 23:24:09 2012]00251:Zone Connect -- 0 -- Received MSG_ZONE_ADDRESS
[Fri May 11 23:24:09 2012]00252:Zone addr [69.174.201.146:42246] received...
[Fri May 11 23:24:10 2012]00253:ZONING
[Fri May 11 23:24:10 2012]00254:Networking: Connection Closed [0] with 0 pending bytes.
[Fri May 11 23:24:10 2012]00255:Networking: using port [53858].
[Fri May 11 23:24:10 2012]00256:Networking: Connection Established [1]
[Fri May 11 23:24:10 2012]00257:Connected to 69.174.201.146:42246...

[Fri May 11 23:24:10 2012]00258:Zone Connect -- 2 -- Sending MSG_EQ_ADDPLAYER
[Fri May 11 23:27:12 2012]00259:TIMED OUT WAITING FOR MY Player (in GetZoneInfoFromNetwork())!! top = 0

[Fri May 11 23:27:12 2012]00260:Networking: Connection Closed [0] with 0 pending bytes.
[Fri May 11 23:27:12 2012]00261:nError is TRUE at C:\p4\EverQuest\live\EverQuest\EverQuest.cpp:21538

Tried checking 42246 and 53858 - both connected just fine.

Annoying as gently caress, lemme tell ya what.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

darkhand posted:

Sparxx is a pretty cool UI, I don't use a laptop but a lot of the stuff is pretty compact. Changing your font to something like Segoi UI might help too.

Luclin goons: If anyone has or comes across a bunch of ROG tradeskill leaves with 60,65,and 70 level Requirements. Toss them to a friendly rogue or dump them onto that jackass Dijital. They will be called Stale Oleander or Larkspur or something similar.

They are entirely useless to anyone but rogues and I don't think they are worth a lot on the bazaar, if you can even sell them. But rogue make poisons out of them and they make moloing not as lovely. Plus I can toss some Spider Bites in the guildbank that all classes can use.

Are you skilling up poison craft or just looking for the mats. If your skill hunting there is a guide I found to skill up to 275 without a single mob killed. Its a bit pricey but not insanely so. Cost my rogue about 2k to get to 200 and its the same recipe (spirit of sloth i think) with about 4p lost per success.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

2p per an attempt is basically nothing.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Sgt Froggy posted:

Are you skilling up poison craft or just looking for the mats. If your skill hunting there is a guide I found to skill up to 275 without a single mob killed. Its a bit pricey but not insanely so. Cost my rogue about 2k to get to 200 and its the same recipe (spirit of sloth i think) with about 4p lost per success.

Could you post the guide instead of allude to it? Because that is not very helpful unless it actually is just spirit of sloth over and over again forever.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Could you post the guide instead of allude to it? Because that is not very helpful unless it actually is just spirit of sloth over and over again forever.

There was three steps, it wasnt much of a guide more a collection of imtermitant postings accross three different message boards.

Atrpoic Sap to 98 (POK)
Calcium Rot to 172 (East free port)
Spirit of Sloth to 275 (East Free port)

Im fairly sure you can do first step in EFP as well but dont quote me. The recipies were grabbed off of the eqtraders dot com site under the quick triv listing.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Speaking of tradeskills, thats something I've never messed with but was looking into. To make the glorious cultural tradeskill stuff, it sounds like I would need tailing maxed (leather armor) and then smithing for the aug, then buy the cultural book from alara or something, and then I can make cultural armor for my race/class and a diety based aug?

Is that right? EQ traders seemed out of date when I checked, and I'm not quite sure how to interpret this.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Cultural_Armor#Symbol_Pattern

Anyone have a better cultural armor guide?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Sgt Froggy posted:

I'm at 275 right now. I made Spirit of the Sloth from ~220-275. It wasn't that expensive but was still a pain since those poisons dont stack. Some of the later skillups are taking something like 30 combines for a single skillup.

At this point with tradeskill trophy I have 300 in poison making, so I can start making the new poisons that are cheaper. The dropped poison leaves are used for the utility poisons like slow and snare so having those is pretty essential in 60+ zones it seems.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I've been working on soloing the Plane of Sky for my Necro epic. My merc just disappeared and I that's when I realized i'm broke. Where is a good place to make quick money?

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Citycop posted:

I've been working on soloing the Plane of Sky for my Necro epic. My merc just disappeared and I that's when I realized i'm broke. Where is a good place to make quick money?

I like going to really odd zones, but you can easily make a few thousand in PoGrowth, Skyshrine, Sleeper's... Old zones with easy mobs and sweet gem drops. Also between 5 and 20pp a kill in coin. I'm sure somebody has a better idea.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Citycop posted:

The hole.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.

Citycop posted:

The other suggestions have been good, but I've made the most money with my mage in Blackfeather Roost (teeth, feathers, and loot from named mobs) and Sebilis at juggs.(spells and gems) Around 3k per hour if I'm pushing and not semi-afk, 2k if I'm totally dicking around. This is at level 66, with a 55-ish BL hanging around for slows and healer merc.

Speaking of which, I am really disliking playing on Vox now that I'm getting up there in levels. The player base is extremely inexperienced and I am not a good enough player to mentor in any real capacity. I take direction well and know how to play my class, but I am not an EQ leader in anyway so anything past simple group content is just awful with no one knowing wtf they are doing. Someone convice me to start over on Luclin and join the goons.

Ylide fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 13, 2012

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

Ylide posted:

Someone convice me to start over on Luclin and join the goons.

Start over on Luclin and join the Goons.

I know quite a few of us won't be around as much for a while after D3 hits, but then again there are several people in guild that have said they aren't having anything to do with D3. So the choice is, really, if you're planning on playing D3 then come join us after that has worn thin, or join us now if you don't plan on playing D3 cause there will actually be people around to play with and talk to.

Also please come over just to raid our overstuffed guild bank. There are literally way way too many pieces of defiant of all kinds. Take everything you can use! Also come over to take advantage of random PL sessions and other goon benefits.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
I just dumped a ton more 50-60 defiant gear in there today as well. I finally got the last of it crammed in there. And already I have a bag and a half more to get rid of. Though most of that is PoP level named junk thats most likely going to end up as tribite.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.

Creative Bicycle posted:

Start over on Luclin and join the Goons.

I know quite a few of us won't be around as much for a while after D3 hits, but then again there are several people in guild that have said they aren't having anything to do with D3. So the choice is, really, if you're planning on playing D3 then come join us after that has worn thin, or join us now if you don't plan on playing D3 cause there will actually be people around to play with and talk to.

Also please come over just to raid our overstuffed guild bank. There are literally way way too many pieces of defiant of all kinds. Take everything you can use! Also come over to take advantage of random PL sessions and other goon benefits.

Rolled a new mage and druid combo. I was previously playing mage/BL but seriously missed ports and snares and backup heals. The BL only really added slows to the mix which I can probably live without.

I am leaving behind two fairly well geared 65+ characters with 100+ AA's though so I hope the random PL sessions aren't too infrequent. (I dont have guild bank withdraw access btw, so I can't help by cleaning out the low level defiant gear.).

And I'm not playing D3 so you'll have me at least til GW2 comes out.

EDIT: AFK merc levelling through your 20s on brand new characters on server is ill-advised. I now cannot afford my last 10 levels of spells. har har har, time to grind out Dragoneater kills for a few hours.

Ylide fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 13, 2012

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I've had to be really picky about which spells I buy even in the 70s. I'll pick up my Pet/Pet Haste (necro), DoT's, and a few buffs and that's 3k down the tube. If I don't stop to grind AA's I'm dead broke.

I imagine D3 will draw me away from EQ again but it's been a fun week or two. When I come back I'll probably be interested in boxing. Is it worth boxing a free or silver account? I may be interested in having a shaman or bard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
What helped me make some cash was hanging out where other players were PLing their toons. If you ask politely, they will let you hoover up drops from their kills.

I made about 10K looting PLers in Crypt of Decay. Diamonds are a poor man's best friend.

Also, working sebilis is always a money maker if you have a snarer.