Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

SerCypher posted:

Double Fine released a new episode of their documentary, and it is really good. I'm starting to think the documentary alone was worth my money.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure/posts/223930

Man, I would kill to read that Grim Fandango note book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Harlock posted:

If you missed out on the Kickstarter, they'll accepting $15 over Paypal for a copy of the game and access to the documentary/forums/whatever.

http://www.doublefine.com/dfa/

Thanks, I missed this the first go-round and have been kicking myself since.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I know this isn't a video game, but pictures for sad children (the webcomic) launched its own ks campaign and it is the best ks campaign ever, of all time, in every way.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.
The Xenonauts kickstarter has posted an update where everyone can go vote on what the stretch goals will be. Most of the options are centered around extra content (new tilesets, female portraits) as well as some technical things like ports. I definitely support the idea of letting the backers choose where the extra funding goes.

Legends of Eisenwald also just met their goal with 9 days to go :unsmith:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Durp posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

As much as I laughed at their video when I first saw it, every time I think about this game I am more and more excited to actually play it.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Alexander Dergay has been really nice through the whole thing, he responds to just about everyone in the comments for Eisenwald. Though he seems to be mildly frustrated at the lack of coverage, I know some people went out of their way to give him help putting together a good press packet and he has made himself available for interviews.

Doesn't help to have Rock, Paper, Shotgun shamelessly shilling for Republique when it won't even cover smaller projects like Moebius, Nekro, and Grim Dawn until they get funded. We'll see if Legends of Eisenwald rates a mention now that it is successful, since it obviously didn't make a RPS writer hard like Republique did.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Harlock posted:

If you missed out on the Kickstarter, they'll accepting $15 over Paypal for a copy of the game and access to the documentary/forums/whatever.

http://www.doublefine.com/dfa/

Thanks for mentioning this! I was really annoyed with myself for not backing it the first time around. The first episode of the documentary was great. Just gotta wait a few days until they manually approve my account for the backer-only forums.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Games "journalism" sites proving themselves to be merely over-inflated opinion blogs? Well I never!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

Alexander Dergay has been really nice through the whole thing, he responds to just about everyone in the comments for Eisenwald. Though he seems to be mildly frustrated at the lack of coverage, I know some people went out of their way to give him help putting together a good press packet and he has made himself available for interviews.

Doesn't help to have Rock, Paper, Shotgun shamelessly shilling for Republique when it won't even cover smaller projects like Moebius, Nekro, and Grim Dawn until they get funded. We'll see if Legends of Eisenwald rates a mention now that it is successful, since it obviously didn't make a RPS writer hard like Republique did.

RPS made it clear their policy on Kickstarter is to write about the ones they feel like writing about. I mean, drat them for doing what they said they were going to do and not sharing my opinion like the sheeple journalists they're supposed to be!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

nessin posted:

RPS made it clear their policy on Kickstarter is to write about the ones they feel like writing about.
Too bad RPS doesn't keep to a consistent policy, they sort of kept to one for a while before abandoning it to outright beg their readers to support one writer's favorite Kickstarter project. If they actually kept to a policy that would be great, but instead when it looked like Republique might fail Nathan Grayson took up work as an unpaid salesman.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 13, 2012

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

Too bad RPS doesn't keep to a consistent policy, they sort of kept to one for a while before abandoning it to outright beg their readers to support one writer's favorite Kickstarter project. If they actually kept to a policy that would be great, but instead when it looked like Republique might fail Nathan Grayson took up work as an unpaid salesman.

So by writing an article about Republique in an effort to get it funded they broke their policy of writing about Kickstarter projects they felt like writting about? Oooookay...

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

I don't think you know what shilling is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

nessin posted:

So by writing an article about Republique in an effort to get it funded they broke their policy of writing about Kickstarter projects they felt like writting about? Oooookay...

They, or rather Grayson, had already twice written about Republique beforehand. I think it was entirely unnecessary, and I'd prefer for them to reserve their purchasing advice until after they've spent some time with a game.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Maybe you should start your own hugely popular gaming site.

member001
Feb 19, 2011
What's up with the Republique hate?
If my 15 bux is going to fund a game that has Jennifer Hale, I'm in!

Christ, I spent 10x more on crappy games from Steam.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Thanks man.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
welcome

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Maybe I will.

I'll call it "shitfarter.net."

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

member001 posted:

Let me think. Is it the overall evasiveness of the Kickstarter presentation or is it the fact that a pc/mac was announced as an afterthought to garner support for what is clearly something they seem to really only care about the IOS version. Oh, I know, it's the fact that they even said the 500k isn't even enough to actually finish the game; it’s so they can have a bargaining chip/good position to try to get the rest from an investor.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks interesting, but there’s no way I'd throw money at the Kickstarter. If the reaction once (if) it's released is positive, I'll probably buy it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Maybe I will.

I'll call it "shitfarter.net."

Are you conflating criticism of Grayson's article with Republique hate, or what is this?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

The RPS writers don't write about KickStarters unless they are really big or already funded to avoid the impression of becoming a "funding machine," which is totally understandable. Better to err on the side of caution.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

octoroon posted:

The RPS writers don't write about KickStarters unless they are really big or already funded to avoid the impression of becoming a "funding machine," which is totally understandable. Better to err on the side of caution.

As already mentioned, RPS covered Republique two or three time before it was funded. And there's not even an established developer behind it like some sort of Carmageddon / Larry / Wasteland return, it was just a pet project they couldn't shut up about. They can write whatever they want, but it's hypocritical to say they don't want to influence people when -- had they not covered Republique so drat much -- it would not have succeeded.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

member001 posted:

They originally made a huge fuss about how they wanted to be THE FIRST actual IOS game, and would not be porting it due to a desire to break those chains, and prove to investors that the IOS is just as capable of blah blah.

After something like two weeks of poor kickstarter funds, the guy running it came out and did a little "Eh, I GUESS I could make it for PC to, gently caress you guys though." speech, implying he's just doing it to get his IOS version out, and the PC version won't be up to snuff at all.

Add on that he has no details on how this will work, and said this is mainly just an investor call? Yeh.

The RPS thing is mainly due to how annoying they have been about it. I wouldn't mind if they had just said it looked neat, but instead they posted 4 articles about it so far, with two being "OH YEAH PC."/"IT'S NOT GOING TO BE A PORT WE SWEAR." and the other two being "HEY MAN, THIS MIGHT NOT HAPPEN, GIVE IT MONEY. I'M NOT loving JOKING." or "THANK GOD THIS GOT FUNDED", neither of which fit what RPS said it wanted to do in regards to Kickstarter, which was originally going to be more of a "Hey, this looks neat to me, just saying" style articles.

I mean, I guess the best way to put it is to just say look at the difference between how they talked about Republiqe, and how they talk about Grim Dawn.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/grim-dawn/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/republique/

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.
The one thing that really irked me is that in one of the RPS articles the author even stated that as a "journalist" he needs to remain impartial and can't ask for donations, right before asking for donations :shepface:

e: vvv His words not mine, there's a reason I put "journalist" in quotes.

Durp fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 13, 2012

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Durp posted:

The one thing that really irked me is that in one of the RPS articles the author even stated that as a "journalist" he needs to remain impartial and can't ask for donations, right before asking for donations :shepface:

I think everyone knows by now that games journalists aren't impartial journalists. At best they are editorializers, at worst they are hype spreaders grooming themselves for an eventual community manager job at a game company.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

It seems odd to me that a site I thought was about pc gaming would support a game not at all focused on pc's so much.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
It sorta sounds to me like nobody gave a poo poo about the game until they announced a PC version.

Jack Fool
Feb 16, 2003

Fina posted:

It sorta sounds to me like nobody gave a poo poo about the game until they announced a PC version.
RPS doesn't cover things that aren't declared for PC or Mac. Is there even an RPS equivalent for iPads?

Rinkles posted:

They, or rather Grayson, had already twice written about Republique beforehand. I think it was entirely unnecessary, and I'd prefer for them to reserve their purchasing advice until after they've spent some time with a game.
This project is going to be one of the real tests of Kickstarter funding games probably. Other big KS projects had companies or known people attached, but RPS doesn't appear to have done any legwork investigating this developer other than a friendly phone call, and their video was pretty but it wasn't playable.

On the other hand they kept covering Project Zomboid (which accepts alpha funding via Desura) even though those guys kept making amateur mistakes all last year. Maybe they just don't give a poo poo? If they won't lose any readers over being wrong about something like this, maybe they shouldn't care.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jack Fool posted:

This project is going to be one of the real tests of Kickstarter funding games probably. Other big KS projects had companies or known people attached, but RPS doesn't appear to have done any legwork investigating this developer other than a friendly phone call, and their video was pretty but it wasn't playable.

On the other hand they kept covering Project Zomboid (which accepts alpha funding via Desura) even though those guys kept making amateur mistakes all last year. Maybe they just don't give a poo poo? If they won't lose any readers over being wrong about something like this, maybe they shouldn't care.

They're not going to lose a single visitor over this. They remain one of the better sites covering games. I just think they had a lapse of judgement in this particular case.

Jack Fool
Feb 16, 2003

Rinkles posted:

They're not going to lose a single visitor over this. They remain one of the better sites covering games. I just think they had a lapse of judgement in this particular case.
I agree

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Durp posted:

Speaking of this, has anyone played Discord Times?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, RPS has hyped some really questionable games before and seem to keep their credibility. I remember one of the guys was really into the new XCOM game and kept posting about it once it was announced, and this was the first build of it which everyone else who saw it seems to agree that it was pretty drat terrible.

Still, most of the time they seem to be pretty good, I guess if they constantly wrote about these questionable projects they might lose readers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rookersh posted:

good points

That, and how the actual game part seems to be almost an afterthought and all the hype focuses on some loving ad agency who is doing SOMETHING for the game (but hey guys they totally did those iPod ads and you liked those right? So you'll like our game too, right?!) and completely irrelevant poo poo like the voice actors they've hired for their loving iPad game and how totally cool the leather case you get as a bonus is.

This is going to be a hilarious train wreck and I'm gonna enjoy it all the way into the ground.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jack Fool posted:

I agree
What the hell is this? Polite agreement? This is the reason these forums are the laughing-stock of the whole Internet, because we are mostly intelligent people who actually listen to each other :mad:

Original_Z posted:

Yeah, RPS has hyped some really questionable games before and seem to keep their credibility.

Still, most of the time they seem to be pretty good, I guess if they constantly wrote about these questionable projects they might lose readers.
It was interesting just getting into reading PC Gamer and Rock-Paper-Shotgun recently, after finally overcoming my hatred of PC Gamer stretching back to some "20 Best Games Ever" article they published that I hated so much that I framed it. Wait, where am I? Anyway, it is interesting seeing how much flack PC Gamer got for consistently covering Minecraft at the expense of discussing some other independent games--but in that case, it was pretty hard to deny that "a still-officially-unreleased game selling millions of copies" was something worth covering in some depth.

Still, Rookersh, while I was interested by your post comparing Republique to Grim Dawn, they actually covered Grim Dawn more than they covered Republique? Or was that your point? Certainly they covered both of those stupid games more than they covered Wasteland 2, but fortunately High Chief Brian Fargo-Maivia did not need their help.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I'm guessing Grim Dawn was pumping out press releases since its conception seeing as coverage goes back to 2010. Comparing the coverage of their respective Kickstarters, Grim Dawn get a short bit at their launch and when they got funded (and even them the tone or the article was "hey, this is cool, I'm in") and Republique gets more press and is overtly calling on people to hand over their money. It's also only one guy writing the articles, so I guess he just really likes the game or something.

Anyways, Xenonauts has released an update with the results of their poll for stretch goals. It's pretty neat how they managed this, letting backers decide what they wanted and being upfront with the costs. Hopefully it doesn't backfire because people feel slighted that their choice isn't number one on the list.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 13, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My professional (enthusiast) read on the situation is just that someone on the RPS staff really likes Republique and therefore talks about it a lot. That happens. I've championed some projects on various websites because I thought they looked cool and wanted people to know about them, but if they really have been outright telling people to donate money, that's hosed up.

Jack Fool
Feb 16, 2003

Quarex posted:

Certainly they covered both of those stupid games more than they covered Wasteland 2, but fortunately High Chief Brian Fargo-Maivia did not need their help.
Did you see that post on Broken Toys forum where a guy who used to work with Fargo kept saying there was no way he could ship Wasteland 2? Right at the end they retained Obsidian to contribute so it looked a lot better but up to that point even that game was kind of in question.

Jack Fool
Feb 16, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

My professional (enthusiast) read on the situation is just that someone on the RPS staff really likes Republique and therefore talks about it a lot. That happens. I've championed some projects on various websites because I thought they looked cool and wanted people to know about them, but if they really have been outright telling people to donate money, that's hosed up.
It's fine if they're encouraging people to check out a kickstarter if it looks like a game will actually materialize from the project at some point. Problem is RPS and Penny Arcade have millions of readers and anything they choose to cover WILL get funded, so they have to be more careful where they point people's attention than someone in a random forums would.

Also check out this dude's comment for that last article. Sweet sweet games journalism schadenfreude.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Jack Fool posted:

Did you see that post on Broken Toys forum where a guy who used to work with Fargo kept saying there was no way he could ship Wasteland 2? Right at the end they retained Obsidian to contribute so it looked a lot better but up to that point even that game was kind of in question.

What? They had reached 1.5 million on March 22, nearly 4 weeks before funding ended. Obsidian wasn't even onboard until they raised 2.1 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jack Fool posted:

You'd really trust a random disgruntled former employee? I've just been running under the impression that guy was nothing but full of poo poo.