Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Moe_Rahn posted:

Oh, if it's hilarious techno-bullshit that you're after, look no further than the two X-Files episodes penned by William Gibson. Yes, that William Gibson. The first one wasn't terrible, although watching it nowadays it reeks of the whole "COMPUTERS! INTERNET! AI!" thing that people were into in the '90s, and the visual effects are kind of dated. (There's a scene where a space laser blows up a lake that may be the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've ever seen in an X-Files episode. Yes, you read that correctly.) The second episode Gibson wrote, however, is a heap of irredeemable pablum about VIDYA GAMES and VIRTUAL REALITY; even watching it as a 14-year-old when it originally aired, I thought it was garbage.

Are you talking about the one where they go into the "virtual" battlefield with the electronic assassin chick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Jeff Wiiver posted:

It's not, the discussion about it started when someone said that they want it to come to Instant. Read the thread, and stop bitching about things that aren't on instant (because Netflix is literally the only way to watch television shows and movies).

What does this mean? This is a thread about things on Netflix Streaming and it's in the movie forum. Why the gently caress are you talking about Fringe anyway?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Flippycunt posted:

Are you talking about the one where they go into the "virtual" battlefield with the electronic assassin chick?

So terrible it spawned a review by Lowtax at the time:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/movie-reviews/xfiles-fps-tv.php

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I just watched Last Night (link) for the first time, and I loved it so much.

It's a late-90's indie ensemble drama with Sandra Oh and Callum Keith Rennie (BSG, 24, The Killing). At midnight, the world is going to end in some sort of unnamed apocalypse, so the cast is trying to figure out how to cope with it. Sandra Oh is trying to race across town so she can commit suicide with her husband, a family decides to pretend it's Christmas, Callum Rennie wants to have lots of sex, and Don McKeller just wants to die alone. If you like dark, low-key, dialog-heavy movies, I'd check it out. It's definitely not perfect, but I really liked it.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Also David Cronenberg as a phone company guy who's trying to thank each and every customer by calling them up before the lights go out. Utterly Canadian, lovely, and a great use of Pete Seeger's "Guantanamera."

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Last Night is great, I highly recommend it. It's a rare take on the "end of the world" scenario and the way the movie progresses towards the apocalypse is subtle but beautiful.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I loved Last Night. It's a shame I think the Netflix version is full-screen, though. So many great little moments. It's actually written and directed by the guy who wrote the screenplay for Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould and The Red Violin, the latter also being on streaming. At the time it came out, we had already been getting a ton of those "end of the world" movies that were ridiculous in premise so this felt so refreshing.

I love the Roger Ebert review where he recounts the former director of TIFF using it as an example of how you can tell a film was made in Canada.

"Sandra Oh goes into a grocery story to find a bottle of wine for dinner. The store has been looted, but she finds two bottles still on the shelf. She takes them down, evaluates them, chooses one, and puts the other one politely back on the shelf. That's how you know it's a Canadian film."

kuddles fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 11, 2012

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I watched Punching the Clown based on this thread (I liked it), and Netflix recommended a movie called Bandwagon, a mid 90s comedy about the formation of an indie band in Raleigh. It's basically like a 90s That Thing You Do. It also features an early lead role by the always good Kevin Corrigan. It's not super-hilarious or anything, but it was a pretty charming and enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes if you like movies about bands (pretty low-budget, too: if you play the 'spot the boom mic' drinking game you may regret it). The music is decent, too. I also had no idea it was set in Raleigh until I started watching, so it was fun for me picking out all the old Raleigh places that are gone.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Past Tense Ragu posted:

What does this mean? This is a thread about things on Netflix Streaming and it's in the movie forum. Why the gently caress are you talking about Fringe anyway?
Does anyone actually read the thread? Or my post that you just quoted? Some dude posted saying he wished Fringe would come to instant, which sparked some talk about the show.

I've been going through King of the Hill for the first time and I'm loving. There are so many episodes though, and I heard the quality dips for awhile in seasons 6/7? Is this true?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I've been going through King of the Hill for the first time and I'm loving. There are so many episodes though, and I heard the quality dips for awhile in seasons 6/7? Is this true?

Season 6 is awesome, but it's the beginning of a slow decline. It never stops being good, it just peaks pretty early.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Zubumafoo posted:

Pretty sure I'm a little behind on this, but I just watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The original Swedish version of all 3 movies are available for streaming. I'm just curious if the second two movies are as good as the first? Because I really, really liked it.

Also, the comments on this movie on Netflix are hilarious. Half of them are people who got it on dvd, and didn't realize they were getting the original. Hell, they didn't even know there was an original. There's a lot of "Waaaaah what happened to the movie I saw in theaters?!".

I didn't care for them because instead of having Mikael and Lisbeth team up to solve more mysteries they focus entirely on Lisbeth's past. Also Mikael and Lisbeth are rarely in the same scenes together.

I liked the first one but I thought of it as great crime thriller sandwiched in between a horrific rape scene and a lovely libel sub-plot.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Chunky Delight posted:

I liked the first one but I thought of it as great crime thriller sandwiched in between a horrific rape scene and a lovely libel sub-plot.

I thought I'd try and read the first novel after enjoying the Swedish film trilogy (well, mostly the first), and that whole long intro all about Blomkvist and his libel charges and... whatever... just put me off. I'll finish it some day, but I don't know if I can take 500 pages of disjointed exposition.

Maybe it hits its stride at some point, I don't know.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

penismightier posted:

Season 6 is awesome, but it's the beginning of a slow decline. It never stops being good, it just peaks pretty early.

The decline is so slow that it is almost a horizontal line until about Season 10. I'm a KOTH fanboy for life, and my wife hates it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Chunky Delight posted:

I didn't care for them because instead of having Mikael and Lisbeth team up to solve more mysteries they focus entirely on Lisbeth's past. Also Mikael and Lisbeth are rarely in the same scenes together.

I've never read the book and I only saw the American version, but my take after watching it was that I thought the two main characters were great, and I liked their partnership, and I wish that they could have been in an interesting or well-written story instead of this one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A while back I decided to check out Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge which turned out to be pretty good, despite its word-salad of a title.

I wasn't really sure what to expect going in to it, I was thinking that if I was lucky it might be similar to Machine Girl, which I liked and if I was unlucky it might be like Tokyo Gore Police which I hated.

What I got instead was a pretty stylishly shot film about a high-school kid who stumbles across a girl who is locked into combat with a huge cloak-wrapped man wielding a chainsaw. The thing is, it uses that silly premise and some good action set-pieces to tell a decent story about two young people who are trying to cope with some serious things going on in their lives.

It's by no means a perfect movie, there are moments where it slips into goofiness and the cgi isn't exactly seamless. All in all though it's a solidly good film with a surprisingly effective emotional core, there is violence but it is almost entirely bloodless, certainly nothing like the over the top blood and gore found in either of those two movies I mentioned earlier.

While I was poking around for a good image of the poster to use I ran across a review that summed up my feelings on it even better than I was able to, I'm not him or affiliated with him in any way, but his review has a longer but still spoiler free write-up.

Also, thanks to this thread for reminding me of Last Night. I remember wanting to see that in the theaters when it was new, but I never actually got around to it, and had forgotten all about it until seeing in mentioned earlier on this page.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
gently caress yes Blood and Bone is streaming. Just go watch Michail Jai White brutally kick some rear end. I'm gonna give you til the count of 5...

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

If any of you want to get your girly 1960s movie on, I just made a drinking game and cocktail for Breakfast at Tiffany's for Alcohollywood. The drink is a chocolate-mocha mimosa we're calling "Diamonds at Denny's."

Coming next week, we'll have something for The Big Lebowski, since that's on streaming and it's been a big request. (Seems redundant, since the White Russian and most of the memes regarding the movie are pretty self-evident, but we're going to give it our go to make it as original as possible.)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

No "Drink every time you're appalled by the casual racism?"

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

weekly font posted:

No "Drink every time you're appalled by the casual racism?"

I was totally prepared to do a Mickey Rooney racism rule, but turns out he's not actually in the film that much, so it wouldn't be fun. As awful and offensive as the character is, he is so inconsequential to the plot and has so little screentime that you could cut him out of the movie and nothing would be lost.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

gently caress yes Blood and Bone is streaming. Just go watch Michail Jai White brutally kick some rear end. I'm gonna give you til the count of 5...

I just watched this, going in completely blind, and I'm gonna second this recommendation. It's Shane with underground MMA and gangstas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What I've now heard is that you should just pretend Rooney's character is a white guy who thinks he's a stereotypical Japanese man, and everyone in the building just humors him.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Hewlett posted:

Coming next week, we'll have something for The Big Lebowski, since that's on streaming and it's been a big request. (Seems redundant, since the White Russian and most of the memes regarding the movie are pretty self-evident, but we're going to give it our go to make it as original as possible.)

I'd suggest taking a drink every time the Dude says "man" but you'd probably wind up face down in a puddle of white, creamy puke by the end of it.

Maybe take a drink whenever CCR is namedropped.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

WickedIcon posted:

I just watched this, going in completely blind, and I'm gonna second this recommendation. It's Shane with underground MMA and gangstas.

It's not a fantastic movie by any means but Michael Jai White is a badass and there are some really good fight scenes. Also the guy he fights at the end who's "the best fighter in the world pound for pound" is Matt Mullins who is another real life badass.

And, loving Rufio.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Nevermind!

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 12, 2012

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Motherfucker. Did anyone else's Instant Queue get wiped? I had like 160 things on it. Dammit.

I updated my billing info from my PS3 since the prepaid card that it was running off of was out of cash. Does that have anything to do with it?
Time to read the thread over. :v:

I think it's just a website thing, it happened to me a couple weeks ago but it fixed itself.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Our Lebowski drinking game was drink whenever "Dude" or "Man" is said. Finish your drink when The Dude drinks a White Russian, smoke a weed whenever he smokes a weed. Last person who can see wins.

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I think it's just a website thing, it happened to me a couple weeks ago but it fixed itself.

Even if this is temporary, I think it might cause me to lose my mind. I have my queue at 500 pretty much all the time, and they are :spergin: in order, dammit. :spergin:

In other news, the 148 minute cut of Metropolis (listed as Metropolis Restored) is expiring in a few days. Well worth watching if you've never seen it, or even if you've only seen one of the shorter versions. I'm sure it's been discussed before all over CD, so I will just add this review from the Netflix page that got it wrong:

quote:

For a film that is 85 years old however it will be lacking to the modern day viewer such as myself. Its nonsense to say by today's standards "Metropolis" is amazing or special in regards to the effects, storyline, or acting for that matter. That's like saying the wheel fascinates you. When in reality what is truly amazing are recent films.Long story short you won't miss out by not seeing this, yet it is an integral part of film history. Heres my metaphor: If you get excited by the wheel, WATCH IT! If you get excited by the IPAD, don't waste your time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Balancing Monsters posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed before all over CD, so I will just add this review from the Netflix page that got it wrong:

It's always amusing when completely unapologetic morons make up excuses for their own ignorance. "Yeah, I didn't really like this movie so it must be overrated", "It's not for me so nobody else really likes it except as a curiosity from the past", etc.

Metropolis is every bit as impressive and beautiful now as it was going-on-90-years ago, if for absolutely nothing else than Brigitte Helm's performance.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Metropolis Restored is so much better than the previously nearest complete cut. There's only one scene missing that has to be given a text explanation, an emotional moment but one that fortunately lends itself to summary, whereas before there was a whole sequence of events right in the middle that were gone, and it was a bit tough to follow the plot by reading basic descriptive summaries. Movie makes a whole lot more sense now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I never got why Rotwang became the major villain near the end until I saw the complete version and the scene where he talks about destroying Metropolis as vengeance for his wife's death. Now thematically it makes a lot of sense- he's the dark heart of the city while Freder comes to represent the good.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I hate to say it but I liked the Moroder version better than the recent fully restored version of Metropolis. Tighter pacing, a little easier to follow, and the music is awsome. It's on instant for a long time too: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/173315

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I've now heard is that you should just pretend Rooney's character is a white guy who thinks he's a stereotypical Japanese man, and everyone in the building just humors him.

How does that make it better?

Whether a person can look past Rooney's character and enjoy Breakfast at Tiffany's mostly comes down to personal tolerances, and I'm not advocating for or against the movie. But attempting to create unsupported contexts that cast Rooney's character as anything other than bald-faced racism really just compounds the problem.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Tewratomeh posted:

I thought I'd try and read the first novel after enjoying the Swedish film trilogy (well, mostly the first), and that whole long intro all about Blomkvist and his libel charges and... whatever... just put me off. I'll finish it some day, but I don't know if I can take 500 pages of disjointed exposition.

Maybe it hits its stride at some point, I don't know.

Yeah it really does once Blomkvist gets to the island. Give it another shot.

I heard Played With Fire / Hornet's Nest (swedish versions) changed the story a bit. What exactly did they change?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Relevant sidebar: If you've noticed that a lot of films seem to be locked in for a long time going by the expiration dates on FeedFlix/InstantWatcher/whatever, there's a reason for that: the Netflix API that feeds info to third-party apps and websites no longer provides exact expiration dates unless it's going to happen within the next two weeks. Otherwise, it puts out a bogus date.

From the FeedFlicks blog: "We hear all of you writing in and expressing frustration at this loss of information that was previously available. We’ve checked with the API folks and they have communicated that this is a done decision for now."

So if you were wondering (as I was) why almost everything that InstantWatcher lists is "good" until August 16, 2036, it's not because they're being overly optimistic about the long-term prospects of the company.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Drive just showed up in my recommendations, holy moley. I wasn't expecting that to come to Netflix Instant so soon.

Virgin
Oct 18, 2002
Sex? Feh. Overrated. Let's talk MTG.
Sorry if this was brought up earlier but do movies gain/lose HD availability or am I nuts? I swear to god The Lincoln Lawyer showed up as HD last week, but now its SD only.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yup, I think Days of Heaven has gone back and forth from SD to HD about 5 times now.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Drive just showed up in my recommendations, holy moley. I wasn't expecting that to come to Netflix Instant so soon.

Nice, I know exactly what I'm watching tonight.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Awesome! Everybody watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If you are not watching Drive you are wrong.

• Locked thread