Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new game out from the Stickman Golf guys called Lunar Racer. Its a side scrolling racing game that's really quite fun. Check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanchless
Apr 23, 2006

Safe inside a safe.

deadwing posted:

If you really, really want to, you can run DOSBox Turbo and get your Jazz Jackrabbit on.

I'm tempted but I don't know what sort of experience I'm going to get for games.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
What kind of sorcery is Dungeon Raiders?! It is immensely addictive. Already wasted a few hours on it.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Played the new delver update. Made it to level 3, ah gently caress spiders are scary.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Where does one go to find games like Dungeon Raid. I keep searching for these games but the android marketplace has a criminally bad search function and nothing ever seems to show up. Do you have to download from a webpage instead?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The first search result on my desktop.

(Though Play is pretty bad searching for the titles you want usually)

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Polite Tim posted:

Where does one go to find games like Dungeon Raid. I keep searching for these games but the android marketplace has a criminally bad search function and nothing ever seems to show up. Do you have to download from a webpage instead?
If your device is not compatible with the game it won't come up in the marketplace on your phone at all. You can also check by searching on the the Google Play website, which will actually tell you if the game is compatible or not.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Polite Tim posted:

Try a regular Google search - it even works well from the phone. (example: "Dungeon Raid" Android)

For the record, most people are as amazed as you are when they first find out that the God-Emperors of Search couldn't make search work with their own product.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Try a regular Google search - it even works well from the phone. (example: "Dungeon Raid" Android)

For the record, most people are as amazed as you are when they first find out that the God-Emperors of Search couldn't make search work with their own product.

What IS up with that?

The apple app store is annoying, but the android one is obstructionist in its methods, even if you already know the name of the app you want you need to dig through crap to get it half the time.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
That would make sense, I have an xperia xp10 mini which isn't really designed for gaming...or functioning as a phone for that matter

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

This is what I did when I wanted to see if Puzzle Quest was available for download and I couldn't find it through my phone. It did end up being there, but like what was mentioned before, I couldn't find it earlier because it wasn't compatible with my phone.

I do have a question about that though, because I'm really stupid about this kind of stuff. :downs: What usually causes incompatibility between a game and a certain phone? The kind of system that's on the phone? I have Gingerbread. Sorry about the dumb question!

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Regarding Dungeon Raid:

Intensely addictive at first, but once I reached level 10 (the max) on my Raider I really lost interest in playing. The other classes and their abilities just felt too bland.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

scorpiobean posted:

This is what I did when I wanted to see if Puzzle Quest was available for download and I couldn't find it through my phone. It did end up being there, but like what was mentioned before, I couldn't find it earlier because it wasn't compatible with my phone.

I do have a question about that though, because I'm really stupid about this kind of stuff. :downs: What usually causes incompatibility between a game and a certain phone? The kind of system that's on the phone? I have Gingerbread. Sorry about the dumb question!

Normally it just means the hardware isn't powerful enough to run it/run it well.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Is there any way to sync game files so I can play them over multiple devices? I just got an android phone but I don't want to start all over on Dungeon Raid which I've been playing on my tablet.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Normally it just means the hardware isn't powerful enough to run it/run it well.

It would be nice to know exactly why, but in my experience, it's not always due to performance. I bought puzzle quest 2, which runs on my CM9 touchpad, but will also install on my (nonexistent) CM7 G2/Vision and MT4G/Glacier, according to the play store. It won't install on my Sense/ICS Sensation, despite being a higher performance device. I assume it's a Sense framework issue in this case, which is really frustrating.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ZeroAX posted:

Is there any way to sync game files so I can play them over multiple devices? I just got an android phone but I don't want to start all over on Dungeon Raid which I've been playing on my tablet.

I was prepared to say no, but you may be in luck. It looks like Dungeon Raid might keep the save file in /sdcard/Android/data/com/fireflame.dungeonraid/files/

edit: confirmed, you only need to copy the save file over

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 12, 2012

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

ZeroAX posted:

Assuming both are rooted, this should do it for you:

DataSync

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I figured that was probably it generally. This is my first smartphone that I've had for all of a week so I'm trying to read all the Android threads and figure things out. Like Civil said though, it would be nice to know exactly why some things aren't compatible.

For content, I just got Jewels Star where you have to change tile colors to clear by matching gems within a certain amount of time. Fairly simple but I'm pretty addicted to it right now.

scorpiobean fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 12, 2012

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I believe the marketplace automatically determines compatibility via three ways, the version of Android you have running, whether the app is made available worldwide or to only certain countries, and whether your device is on the developer's compatibility whitelist or blacklist.

Unless the developers have specifically put the device on their blacklist because of it, I doubt your hardware really has anything to do with compatibility on Google's store. I've downloaded compatible things from the store that run terribly on my phone, and manually installed non-compatible apps that run perfectly.

The exception to this seems to be all those games that need Tegra hardware. I assume that also works with a whitelist as well.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 13, 2012

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Uggh I was so close to finishing Delver but got ganked by five goddamn skeletons a floor away from the exit.

loving skeletons and their ability to only do half a heart - a heart 90% of the time, but doing their terrible 6 heart crit all too often.

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

I recently got Dungeon Village and I was doing well up until year 8 or so. I'm running into monsters that one shot my best guys and I'm not sure how to even get past them.

I also don't really understand how to increase my income more. It seems stuck at 18,000 per month for the past few years. I've tried to layout plants near all my stores, but seem keep losing money every month. With no info in game, I'm also confused as to the jobs for the adventurers. Should I leave people at maxed out jobs? Is there an incentive for switching them to new classes that reduce their stats?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You get a permanent boost to something when you master a class. They also require multiple maxed classes for access to the very advanced jobs that have tons of good stats. That said your dudes getting owned fast is pretty normal later on, I don't really remember what I did to get income up but I know my first playthrough I was definitely having some trouble finishing off the last 5 star stuff. Second playthrough went a lot smoother unshockingly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

mrkillboy posted:

I believe the marketplace automatically determines compatibility via three ways, the version of Android you have running, whether the app is made available worldwide or to only certain countries, and whether your device is on the developer's compatibility whitelist or blacklist.

Unless the developers have specifically put the device on their blacklist because of it, I doubt your hardware really has anything to do with compatibility on Google's store. I've downloaded compatible things from the store that run terribly on my phone, and manually installed non-compatible apps that run perfectly.

The exception to this seems to be all those games that need Tegra hardware. I assume that also works with a whitelist as well.

The Market specifically looks at your build.prop file to see if you meet the requirements, edit it to match a different phone's specs and suddenly you'll find yourself compatible with new apps. Obviously, back it up first.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Found myself playing Rule the Kingdom a bit lately. For what is obviously a port of a facebook game, this thing is actually pretty good. Combination city-builder/RPG, all the city-building elements process in real time (and can be sped up with in-game money purchased with real-world money), so it's easy to set your workers to construction of a new building and then put the game away for 20 minutes while they do it. Combat is extremely simple but I think complicated enough for a 'play for 30 seconds at a time' game.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

By the way, just asking but what the gently caress is the point of games like Stardom or Lil' Kingdom that play like Facebook games but are not online or syncable? Like when I play that breed of game I expect it to be linked to my facebook or mobage account or something. :psyduck:

Oh yeah, also, are there any games that are interesting variants of Minesweeper? Like how Dungeon Raid is an interesting variant of those matching games.

And throwing out a recommendation for mPuzzle, which is great. You need online connectivity to download puzzles, but there are quite a good variety of puzzles.

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 13, 2012

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

One thing that helped me in Dungeon Village was to designate one month as "you are going shopping" month. I waited until most of the adventurers were in town (right after a big mission is a good time for this) and then walled off the entrance with a couple of stores.

You can rack up quite a bit of money in a month that way, since they're forced to buy stuff instead of wasting time wandering around getting slaughtered.

It also helps to up the popularity of your town as much as possible so the higher-end character classes show up.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
This might be a little too close to advertising but I just finally got a release out today and I'm excited. This is the first of hopefully many of this company's games that I'll be porting to Android, so I'm crossing my fingers that it does well!

http://phobicstudios.com/news/phobic-studios-arrives-on-android/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phobicstudios.gravbotfree

quote:

Get ready to defy the law of gravity!
Phobic Studios is thrilled to bring GravBot to Android. GravBot was featured by apple as 'iPhone Game of the Week' and is now available to for FREE for a limited time, so get it now!
GravBot is a physics-based puzzle platformer, where you decide which way is "up" as a little robot falls and pivots through each level. Collect all the batteries to win, but watch out. A wrong move could be deadly!

It'll only be free for a couple of weeks, so grab it now and give it a try!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
On it tonight. Looks polished. Thanks for the heads-up!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Machinarium is out for Android now for any interested parties.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It seems random as poo poo, too. My phone can run Minecraft but not Dungeon Raid? :psyduck:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

UraniumAnchor posted:

This might be a little too close to advertising but I just finally got a release out today and I'm excited. This is the first of hopefully many of this company's games that I'll be porting to Android, so I'm crossing my fingers that it does well!

http://phobicstudios.com/news/phobic-studios-arrives-on-android/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phobicstudios.gravbotfree

It'll only be free for a couple of weeks, so grab it now and give it a try!

2.3 only. :argh: Motorola needs to hurry up and roll out Gingerbread for the XPRT like they've been promising to since last year. Their community manager has been reaffirming it's been coming out multiple times for the past few months and still nothing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

deadwing posted:

Machinarium is out for Android now for any interested parties.

That looks gorgeous, anyone played it yet?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Cakefool posted:

That looks gorgeous, anyone played it yet?

On PC yes, and its an amazing game.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

precision posted:

It seems random as poo poo, too. My phone can run Minecraft but not Dungeon Raid? :psyduck:

The more likely is a resolution thing, or who knows what.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Tinyn posted:

The more likely is a resolution thing, or who knows what.

My 320x480 phone runs Dungeon Raid so my vote is "Who knows what".

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My 320x480 phone runs Dungeon Raid so my vote is "Who knows what".
I mentioned earlier in the thread its generally a developer whitelist/blacklist thing with devices.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 15, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mrkillboy posted:

I mentioned earlier in the thread its generally a developer whitelist/blacklist thing with devices.

How it actually (is supposed to) works is that as you develop the app you request certain features from the OS to support the feature you're developing.

Then when you publish the app, the Play store looks at the features your app requests from the Android OS, and then when people are browsing the store or whatever only shows them apps that don't request features your phone doesn't have.

The developer can then blacklist certain devices if they want to for some reason.

For example, this is from the developer console from one of my apps:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Plants vs Zombies supposedly doesn't support my Galaxy Nexus as I can't buy it, but it supports my old HTC Desire. I would assume it's a screen/ICS thing, rather than a lack of features in that case.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

mrkillboy posted:

Yeah, I just meant "Who Knows What" as in "Other", not "Literally Unknowable".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Naky posted:

Plants vs Zombies supposedly doesn't support my Galaxy Nexus as I can't buy it, but it supports my old HTC Desire. I would assume it's a screen/ICS thing, rather than a lack of features in that case.

The Ice Cream Sandwich SDK is old enough that, if it were a human child, it would be teething by now, but the world's largest game company hasn't yet felt the need to update their most popular games to work with the new OS.

• Locked thread