Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

There are generally enough clues to figure out how the chronology works. Karsa's stuff in that book is essentially a prologue, after that it meets up with the timeline you're expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

NovemberMike posted:

There are generally enough clues to figure out how the chronology works. Karsa's stuff in that book is essentially a prologue, after that it meets up with the timeline you're expecting.

Yeah, I'm getting to the point where I'm recognizing stuff from past books (Finding the Silanda) and it's really great.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Oh my loving god, how did it take me so long to realize Who Karsa is? I just got to the reveal that the guy he's with is Leoman, and they're going to meet Sha'ik, and my mind just blew out the back of my skull

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Yeah I read books. posted:

Oh my loving god, how did it take me so long to realize Who Karsa is? I just got to the reveal that the guy he's with is Leoman, and they're going to meet Sha'ik, and my mind just blew out the back of my skull

Yea, those weaving connections between the books are great, and such a change from the linear nature of most series I've read. That's also one of the things that makes an eventual reread intriguing; think of how much you may pick up that you missed the first time around.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

See, I told you the chronology was easy to figure out once you've got enough of the pieces.

One of the amazing things about this series is how complicated he makes everything, but how it's all self consistent. People here were making really good predictions based on how the rules of the magic system work. Everything tends to come together intuitively.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

I think the series is even better the 2nd time, and you sure as poo poo will notice things you missed the first time.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Bluedust posted:

Author seems kind of a dick though.

I find interviews with him hilarious. He has this bloated, poorly edited (albeit very enjoyable) 10 book fantasy series about his Dungeons and Dragons campaign and he constantly talks about the series as having true literary value and being a work of art with a straight face and no sense of irony because his characters awkwardly ramble on about mostly nonsense philosophy for 10 pages at a time.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

The best part of that is the self philosophizing is easily the worst part out of all the books. The series would actually be better if he didn't try and make them "literary masterpieces".

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
While Erikson does come off as conceited and rambles too much about the literary concepts of his series in interviews, I don't think it's fair to say that it has no true literary value or isn't art just because it's fantasy.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

savinhill posted:

While Erikson does come off as conceited and rambles too much about the literary concepts of his series in interviews, I don't think it's fair to say that it has no true literary value or isn't art just because it's fantasy.

Oh I wouldn't say that it has no value, it obviously does. I just think the series would be held in higher regard if it didn't try to be something it's not.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

savinhill posted:

The issue is that series are rarely of literary importance because the characters philosophize.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

The issue is that series are rarely of literary importance because the characters philosophize.

The issue is that neither Erikson nor anyone else (who's not trolling) has ever claimed that the series may have literary importance because the characters philosophize.

It's a ridiculous claim used to support some other ridiculous claim. When you start from ridiculous premises, your conclusion are going to be even more ridiculous.

Same as those saying the series is "trying to be something it's not". That should read like: "trying to be something I don't want it to be".

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

It's a book about dragons.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

It's a book about dragons.

I guess your personal dictionary teaches you: Dragons != literature

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Abalieno posted:

I guess your personal dictionary teaches you: Dragons != literature

That's right, though I'm sure you'll bring up Lord of the Rings (basically unreadable) and Beowulf (millennia old).

It's an enjoyable fantasy series about dragons and wizards that's hindered by the great many philosophical ramblings that should have been edited and unnecessary storylines that went nowhere that should have been cut.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If you can't read LOTR then that's kind of sad

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I dunno, I enjoyed the philosophizing characters and storylines that went nowhere because they all contributed to give the world depth and atmosphere. It never mattered to me exactly what a character's internal monologue was describing, what I enjoyed was the tone those monologues set, how they often put me in the mindset of the character I was reading or at the very least informed me of what thoughts and worries they were preoccupied by. Stories like the Snake in DoD didn't add a ton to the plot progression but they did give me a sense of the world's scale and even made the world feel realistic. The feel of the books, and not the dragons or the wizards or magic, are what got me to read all ten of these books and keep reading them.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
I think what makes the magic work is that it's not just, 'well he's a wizard, that's why,' there's crazy depth to how it works and it's all explained and everything like that. At least that's how it seems to me so far.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Erikson's inconsistency is the problem for me. Sometimes he is able to balance the fantastic and meditative sections perfectly, and other times it comes off as a mishmash. Same with his interviews- sometimes he's humble and accommodating, but other times he comes across as an arrogant dick.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Levitate posted:

If you can't read LOTR then that's kind of sad

Why is it sad? I dont enjoy 20 page poems and songs. No writer has ever made them interesting to me. But marines philosophizing is fine with me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Juaguocio posted:

Erikson's inconsistency is the problem for me. Sometimes he is able to balance the fantastic and meditative sections perfectly, and other times it comes off as a mishmash. Same with his interviews- sometimes he's humble and accommodating, but other times he comes across as an arrogant dick.

Yeah, that was basically my problem as well. His characterization is another example of that. Sometime he hits it out of the park but many of the supporting characters seem to share the same vocabulary and constant reflection prattle. I think it's most apparent amongst the Malazan soldiers but there's a fair amount of ennui in the Nimander stuff as well.

Oh well, Erikson usually manages to bring it all together for the climaxes and ties up the major plot threads well enough. I have no idea what hes like in real life and don't really care, I just wish he would listen to his editor a bit more. His actual world building is incredibly well done though so I can forgive the flaws.

quote:

I dunno, I enjoyed the philosophizing characters and storylines that went nowhere because they all contributed to give the world depth and atmosphere. It never mattered to me exactly what a character's internal monologue was describing, what I enjoyed was the tone those monologues set, how they often put me in the mindset of the character I was reading or at the very least informed me of what thoughts and worries they were preoccupied by. Stories like the Snake in DoD didn't add a ton to the plot progression but they did give me a sense of the world's scale and even made the world feel realistic. The feel of the books, and not the dragons or the wizards or magic, are what got me to read all ten of these books and keep reading them.

Sure that's a fair point. I just couldn't shake the feeling that they many of them felt too similar and some seemed unnecessary as a result.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 13, 2012

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Can someone possibly give me a however detailed they want explanation of the difference between an ascendant and a god?

Also, in House of Chains, finding out that the Seven were T'Lan Imass before it was explicitly stated made me feel pretty cool :clint:

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Can someone possibly give me a however detailed they want explanation of the difference between an ascendant and a god?

An ascendant gets a place in the Deck of Dragons, whereas a god is more part of an organized cult, with followers and everything. An ascendant can become a god, take Shadowthrone for example, who's first ascendant and then god.

Imho, one is more "loose", while the other is a more organized, structured form.

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 14, 2012

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Gods and Ascendants are both powerful people/beings, but gods have worshipers and accept them, Ascendants dont have worshipers. Or have few and dont accept them (like Anomander Rake).

That's basically the difference. There was a much more detailed explanation earlier in this thread, maybe someone can go fish it out.

Abalieno posted:

An ascendant gets a place in the Deck of Dragons, whereas a god is more part of an organized cult, with followers and everything. An ascendant can become a good, take Shadowthrone for example, who's first ascendant and then god.

Imho, one is more "loose", while the other is a more organized, structured form.

No, not every ascendant has a place in the deck of dragons. Just most of the ones we are exposed to do.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Okay, sorry I'm plaguing you guys with questions, but I have a rather specific one about House of Chains that might not be answerable without spoiling stuff - Shadowthrone and Cotillion were just talking on the drifting isle about the guy Traveller, and mentioned he's Dal Honese, and the Aspalar was saying he was someone who was with them at the beginning...I went back to where Admiral Nok was talking to Tavore, and he was bringing up people, and the only one mentioned as being specifically as a Dal Honese is someone named Dassem Ultor. So is that who Traveller is, and if so, who is he and what is his significance?

Also, Is the guy that Karsa and the Nom guy met in the tower with all the fossils much earlier in the book Cartheron Crust?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Okay, sorry I'm plaguing you guys with questions, but I have a rather specific one about House of Chains that might not be answerable without spoiling stuff - Shadowthrone and Cotillion were just talking on the drifting isle about the guy Traveller, and mentioned he's Dal Honese, and the Aspalar was saying he was someone who was with them at the beginning...I went back to where Admiral Nok was talking to Tavore, and he was bringing up people, and the only one mentioned as being specifically as a Dal Honese is someone named Dassem Ultor. So is that who Traveller is, and if so, who is he and what is his significance?

Also, Is the guy that Karsa and the Nom guy met in the tower with all the fossils much earlier in the book Cartheron Crust?

1. You are in for a treat~

2. It's one of the Crust brothers. Which precisely completely escapes me, but you are on the right track, yes

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

1. Yes, that's Dassem. You'll find out his significance later.
2. That's Urko Crust, his brother.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

2. It's one of the Crust brothers. Which precisely completely escapes me, but you are on the right track, yes

Urko

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Thanks for the answers! I really like the pacing/tone of this book a lot, and it has a perfect balance of POVs and people crossing each other's paths, and tons of puzzle pieces falling into place. I really like this part I'm at with Karsa and Cynnigig.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Hondo82 posted:

No, not every ascendant has a place in the deck of dragons. Just most of the ones we are exposed to do.

Hmm, I'm no so sure this is the case. How would an ascendant acquire ascendant powers if not through the system? I do understand a god who's not automatically into the deck, because the power comes from the beliefs of his followers, but ascendants with no followers where do they get their powers?

It's not like one snaps his fingers and decides to be an ascendant that day.

You should know where Cartheron Crust is, it is revealed in MoI. He's the captain of the ship that Kalam takes toward the end of DG to reach Malaz City.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Abalieno posted:

Hmm, I'm no so sure this is the case. How would an ascendant acquire ascendant powers if not through the system? I do understand a god who's not automatically into the deck, because the power comes from the beliefs of his followers, but ascendants with no followers where do they get their powers?

It's not like one snaps his fingers and decides to be an ascendant that day.

You become an ascendent by being a gigantic badass. The Deck is completely unrelated, it's more of a loose alliance or agreement than a source of power.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I wouldn't say it's any sort of 'alliance' or 'agreement' at all - to me that implies a cooperation between ascendants - but rather its own separate 'force' reflecting parts of the real world (usually in the form of annoying riddles).

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

the least weasel posted:

I wouldn't say it's any sort of 'alliance' or 'agreement' at all - to me that implies a cooperation between ascendants - but rather its own separate 'force' reflecting parts of the real world (usually in the form of annoying riddles).

IIRC you have to opt in and it restricts you in certain ways.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
How so? I don't remember that at all.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

the least weasel posted:

How so? I don't remember that at all.

I don't remember exactly where, but somehow when the Crippled God gets his house, it ends up restricting what he can do. I think Paran or Mael mention that he has to follow the rules then.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

The Deck of Dragons contains people who aren't necessarily Ascendants like Lostara Yil, Trull Sengar, and Karsa Orlong and then does not contain everyone who is a named Ascendant. It's a way of ordering the major players in the world, be they elemental forces, gods, Ascendants, or mortals.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It has to do with the Deck, Ganoes acting as Master and assigning the dude to a house enforces the magical conventions (?) that govern the others, thereby limiting the Crippled God's abilities somehow. That's what I took away with it. I don't remember anything about CG "opting in" to anything.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Didn't it have a lot to do with the Crippled God poisoning the warrens? By giving him a place in the Deck of Dragons it protected the warrens from his degrading influence. Also I'm pretty sure the Crippled God himself did want a House in the Deck, and Paran agreed to it because it would make him a "player in the game" who could lose like anyone else. Been a while since I read Memories of Ice but I'm pretty sure that's how it went.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

Abalieno posted:

You should know where Cartheron Crust is, it is revealed in MoI. He's the captain of the ship that Kalam takes toward the end of DG to reach Malaz City.

Ah crap I knew there were two people that were "drowned" but I forgot the other one's name, and totally fogot about that scene

The Ninth Layer posted:

Didn't it have a lot to do with the Crippled God poisoning the warrens? By giving him a place in the Deck of Dragons it protected the warrens from his degrading influence. Also I'm pretty sure the Crippled God himself did want a House in the Deck, and Paran agreed to it because it would make him a "player in the game" who could lose like anyone else. Been a while since I read Memories of Ice but I'm pretty sure that's how it went.

The specific wording was Allowing him to have a legit house would restrict him to the rules that everyone else has to play by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Abalieno posted:

Does Caladan Brood have a card?

As for the 'alliance' or 'agreement' aspect of it, I always felt of ascendants' power being like gravity. The more powerful you are, the more personal gravity you pull around (throwing your weight around :downsrim:) the more "smaller bodies" are attracted to them, as well as "heavier" ones.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 15, 2012