Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
To be fair, I think Soejima's artbook work was worlds better than some of the in-game portraits (not that they were bad or anything). Yukari and Aigis come to mind as having some wonky faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

To be fair, I think Soejima's artbook work was worlds better than some of the in-game portraits (not that they were bad or anything). Yukari and Aigis come to mind as having some wonky faces.

For some reason the P3P portraits that show when you do an all out attack in battle look really amateurish and static to me. I'm assuming that a different artist than Soejima drew those.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Soejima's characters have really weird necks and heads.

Nessa posted:

This has me incredibly confused. You're saying that the artist who designs respectful looking female characters is "off-putting" and the one who draws fanservice is great?

"Respectful looking female characters"
(I was gonna say "You should play Stella Deus but I realized that would have come across as really mean because no one should play Stella Deus)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 10, 2012

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's apparently always a little nippy where those women are. Should really layer up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Morpheus posted:

It's apparently always a little nippy where those women are. Should really layer up.

To be fair, some of the dudes have oddly nipple-centric costumes as well:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nessa posted:

This has me incredibly confused. You're saying that the artist who designs respectful looking female characters is "off-putting" and the one who draws fanservice is great?

I picked up the Soejima art-book and the Persona 4 Visual Data book recently and that man is a god. I want to be able to draw like that and I am inspired by his art every time I look at it.

I'm saying that i prefer Suzuhito's style. Sheesh, don't put words in my mouth like that. I do respect Soejima for not hypersexualizing his female characters (and as mentioned i would really appreciate it if Suzuhito wasn't such a sleazebag), but his art style just isn't really my thing. Suzuhito makes some very problematic design decisions, yes, but i like his style otherwise. Most rational people often take multiple factors into account for things like this!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Technique posted:

I'm saying that i prefer Suzuhito's style. Sheesh, don't put words in my mouth like that. I do respect Soejima for not hypersexualizing his female characters (and as mentioned i would really appreciate it if Suzuhito wasn't such a sleazebag), but his art style just isn't really my thing. Suzuhito makes some very problematic design decisions, yes, but i like his style otherwise. Most rational people often take multiple factors into account for things like this!

Sorry, didn't mean to put words into your mouth.

What exactly is it about the art style that you don't like? From what I've seen, it's nearly the exact same style Suzuhito's.

I'm more used to American comic art, where the difference between artists can be rather vast and obvious.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Nessa posted:

What exactly is it about the art style that you don't like? From what I've seen, it's nearly the exact same style Suzuhito's.

I'm more used to American comic art, where the difference between artists can be rather vast and obvious.

I wouldn't say that they're nearly exact at all. Soejima has a better grasp of anatomy and plastic forms, whereas Suzuhito is a lot more flat and anime-like (anime-like meaning it's more animation-friendly because it is simplified, rather than manga or game concept art).

I don't think unique stylization is exclusive to American comic art.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nessa posted:

It's just a personal stylistic preference, i can't really put my finger on it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Neeksy posted:

I don't think unique stylization is exclusive to American comic art.

I never said it was. I just mean that I can tell the difference between Liefeld and Darwyn Cooke more easily.

Speaking of, I consider Darwyn Cooke's art to be in the same style as Bruce Timm's art. Very subtle differences. But I would be equally confused by someone saying that they loved Timm's art, but couldn't stand Cooke's.

Anyway, to end the derail, I really liked the Persona 4 Visual Data book. I always love seeing concept art and how characters were originally envisioned.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Say, how much leeway do you get to max everyone's Fate? I've been following a guide to the letter, and just completed wednesday, but Ronaldo didn't rank up when the guide said he should. :ohdear:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
If I remember right some events are bugged in the English version and don't rankup when they did in the Japanese version, the game will correct itself at the next "check everyone's rank" trigger.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Technique posted:

Say, how much leeway do you get to max everyone's Fate? I've been following a guide to the letter, and just completed wednesday, but Ronaldo didn't rank up when the guide said he should. :ohdear:

There's not much leeway for getting everyone to rank 5 in a single playthrough, but it's not too hard to get everyone to rank 4, which is the highest requirement for any plot stuff. The only thing 5 gets you is the ability to fuse each character's ultimate demon.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

http://gematsu.com/2012/05/persona-5-or-shin-megami-tensei-4-hashinos-next-numbered-title-will-soon-hit-production

Good news everyone, they might start making another game soon. Maybe.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Bland posted:

http://gematsu.com/2012/05/persona-5-or-shin-megami-tensei-4-hashinos-next-numbered-title-will-soon-hit-production

quote:

Persona 5 or Shin Megami Tensei 4

Wait. Strange Journey...wasn't SMT 4!?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Dogbutt posted:

Wait. Strange Journey...wasn't SMT 4!?

There is that thing with "only games set in Tokyo can be counted as SMT" or something like that, right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Strange Journey felt like a retelling of the original Shin Megami Tensei to me with a potentially happier ending.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bernardo Orel posted:

There is that thing with "only games set in Tokyo can be counted as SMT" or something like that, right?

Nah, you're misremembering (or maybe I am.) Only mainline SMT games get the SMT logo and name in Japan. Persona et al don't. Strange Journey did in fact have it, which is why I (and that other guy) thought Strange Journey was SMT4.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

It's only the article itself that brings up SMT4, the actual quote just says 'the next numbered title' which has gotta mean P5. I wouldn't really take this as evidence that SJ isn't SMT4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I seem to recall reading that code inside of SJ refers to SMT4. I think they intended it and changed it at the last minute for some reason.

Considering SJ was really clearly an attempt to reach out to American fans (adult characters, the protagonist being American in the American version, a non-Japanese setting, ect), I feel like they didn't want to risk people going "SMT4?! Where's the others?" since Nocturne was just SMT: Nocturne in the US. They could have just changed the name for the US release but who knows?

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Regarding all this art discussion, you guys realize that Kaneko also has a lot of anatomy problems and uses the same faces all the time too, right? It's just that 1) his anatomy issues aren't as glaring, 2) no one cares about the faces because they're so ~stylized~ 3) he's got a million other things going on in the images so you don't notice.

I mean, don't get me wrong I like Kaneko too and he REALLY improved on all of this for Strange Journey but he really isn't all that much better, save for having a lot of ~style~ Not only that but I found some of the designs in P2 to be some of the ugliest designs I have ever seen in the franchise. I think he's better off staying out of the Persona series if it's going to continue to have the kind of setting the past games have all had. He's really way better off when he's working on something similar to Nocturne, DDS or even the Raidou games. Something where his style fits in much better.

Although over all I think we're better off getting rid of static portraits all together. Kaneko's style looks best as graphics because they fix up all the anatomy in the character models and the character's faces change. Catherine looked better than Persona 3 and 4 for me because of this too. Soejima's style looked great there I thought.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

Bland posted:

The article's had a correction added, which confirmed what I was thinking while reading it: this is old news. It's information from last August's Famitsu.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

The article's had a correction added, which confirmed what I was thinking while reading it: this is old news. It's information from last August's Famitsu.

Which, as the article notes, is a good thing: it means the next main-series or Persona game has been in "full tilt development" for 8 or 9 months if he was telling the truth.

EDIT: Come on E3 reveal

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

They will absolutely not reveal it at E3. The only things we'll see at E3 are P4G and P4A (and maaaaaaaybe P2EPPortable).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just started my first Megami Tensei game, Persona 3, after being intrigued by the Giantbomb Endurance run. I'm only a couple hours in, but good so far and I definitely see why this got a M rating. That cutscene when you use your persona for the first time is pretty :stare:

I'm playing FES by the way, not portable.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Atlus is obviously gonna announce Persona 4-2 at E3. It only makes sense.

Also, am i the only who really hates Ronaldo? :mad: I thought he'd be more sympathetic when i was doing more of his events in my NG+, but it only makes him seem like a bigger dick. No way am i going to bother doing his ending, even though i'll try to get all the others.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So wait hold on

There are people on the internet working on a soundtrack for Persona 5...a game that does not exist and even if it did would 100% not use any of the music they created.

Why

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

So wait hold on

There are people on the internet working on a soundtrack for Persona 5...a game that does not exist and even if it did would 100% not use any of the music they created.

Why

Because it's neat? Besides, they're only putting together songs that already exist, they aren't actually MAKING anything. It's just a fun little "hey, wouldn't this be neat?" kinda deal. I like it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Technique posted:

Also, am i the only who really hates Ronaldo? :mad: I thought he'd be more sympathetic when i was doing more of his events in my NG+, but it only makes him seem like a bigger dick. No way am i going to bother doing his ending, even though i'll try to get all the others.

Yeah this whole "selflessly helping out the starving, powerless masses" gig is so laughable. I don't know about you guys but in an apocalypse scenario I'd totally be an alpha survivor -- I learned all about doomsday survival from Left 4 Dead so helping people? gently caress that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ronaldo comes across as a dick because you spend most of your time with JPs and so he's often opposed to you. It's really easy to forget that JPs is run by a guy who created an organization in order to alter the entire world to be what he wants and murders everyone who gets in his way. Rolando is an rear end in a top hat but that is because he is fighting a dedicated organization of assholes with nothing but a bunch of civilians and some cell phones.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The way Ronaldo unironically uses "justice" in sentences is really off-putting. He talks like a anime cartoon character.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 13, 2012

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
As far as I know, Hashino has always been more involved with the Persona franchise than any of the other SMT branches, although a quick Google of his credits indicates he was fairly prominent in the original DDS. Still, I can only assume that the 'numbered sequel' referred to in that article is Persona 5, and if it hit full production last August we'll hopefully hear more about it soon. I wouldn't expect news at E3 though, Atlus probably wouldn't do a product reveal at an American trade show. They've always kind of marched to their own beat with game reveals anyway; I remember Strange Journey was revealed in a Japanese gaming magazine in September the year before it came out, almost directly between E3 and TGS. It seems like they just push the news out whenever they feel prepared regardless of whatever events may be going on around them.

The Atlus game I really want to know more about at E3 is Etrian Odyssey 4. Give me an English release date, I want more RPGs on my 3DS drat it!

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

As far as I know, Hashino has always been more involved with the Persona franchise than any of the other SMT branches, although a quick Google of his credits indicates he was fairly prominent in the original DDS.

He also directed Nocturne, but I agree that it's probably Persona 5.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
How far am I to the end of Eternal Punishment? I'm on the Torifune spaceship and I just beat metal Jun, Lisa and Eikichi

Seriously though, Persona 2's story is incredible. If it was a better playing game I would probably say it's the best SMT game but it's still in my top 3.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

How far am I to the end of Eternal Punishment? I'm on the Torifune spaceship and I just beat metal Jun, Lisa and Eikichi

Seriously though, Persona 2's story is incredible. If it was a better playing game I would probably say it's the best SMT game but it's still in my top 3.

I think there's two more dungeons after you finish that one? The final dungeon is pretty long, but you can pretty much skip the entire next one if you know how to solve the puzzle.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Boneless Jogger posted:

He also directed Nocturne, but I agree that it's probably Persona 5.

Huh? I thought Nocturne's director was Cozy Okada.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

TurnipFritter posted:

I think there's two more dungeons after you finish that one? The final dungeon is pretty long, but you can pretty much skip the entire next one if you know how to solve the puzzle.

Yeah, that's true. But there's some decent treasure in there and by the you should have the Golden Apple anyway. (get Hastur, hit up the fifth area of the Bomb Shelter for Byakyees, get really good reward)

Note that you get dragged straight into the final dungeon at the end of the penultimate one, so you might want to hit any shops beforehand. You can get out of the final dungeon, but it takes awhile.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Man, Beelzebub just does not give a gently caress. Does fighting him count against the No Free Battles achievement?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Technique posted:

Man, Beelzebub just does not give a gently caress. Does fighting him count against the No Free Battles achievement?

As far as I know, optional bosses don't count against the Free Battles achievement. I'm not positive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

As far as I know, optional bosses don't count against the Free Battles achievement. I'm not positive though.

They do not. You can use the optional bosses to hugely grind levels without ever having to touch Free Battles in a NG+ and still get the trophy.

Also note that you can retreat from those fights. So you can grind a bunch of levels and then retreat if you can't finish off the boss. You can't go into the fight again but that's a minor issue.