Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

See, that's my point. Saying "It doesn't need to make sense because it's fiction" is always a cop-out, and could be applied to nearly anything in any story ever.

The Xenos in the Aliens movies were pretty much born of "We need antagonistic aliens that drool acid and can reproduce through chestbursters", but when they do weird things that don't jive with what Earth creatures do, the idea isn't to think "Yeah they do this because the writers wanted cool scenes, it's so much writer fiat", the idea is to think "Hey maybe, just maybe, aliens could have radically different biology to ours and won't make sense to us because they're alien to us."

Then again, I tend to enjoy stories more if I just pretend they adhere to some possibly hidden or accidental internal logic, as opposed to focusing on what the writers may or may not have intended. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Bobulus posted:

This is honestly the right attitude to take. I doubt Hussie has thought about it that much. He just made them mostly human and then went back later and gave them nonhuman traits later to make them more alien. Trying to justify it is an exercise in frustration.

That said...

It's worse than that, I'm afraid. Recall that we've seen a mother grub (Kanaya's lusus) and it's an entirely different species than the trolls. While it certainly has social reverence, it is a lusus like all the rest.

So it's not so much that the mother grub is the female of the species, but that trolls are a one-gender (in terms of reproduction capacity) species in a symbiotic reproduction relationship with another species, almost like bees and flowers, rather than just bees. (Short version: bees collect nectar from flowers, also get pollen as a side effect. Ranging from flower to flower benefits the bee by getting food and benefits the flower by spreading the pollen to other flowers, aiding reproduction)

Now, as to why they still have visual symptoms of genders? That requires an rear end-pull of one kind or another. One simple explanation would be, earlier in the troll evolutionary cycle, they actually did reproduce alone and gender had some purpose, but that, over millions of years, it became an outdated trait. In real life, we've got weird leftovers of our evolutionary path, like the appendix or the 'gill slits' (pharyngeal pouches) that form on a human embryo and become things like gills in fish but develop into things like the middle ear for us.

You could theorize, with their insect-like biology, dependence on other organisms (lusus) to survive, and the fact that matriorbs can be found inside another species that troll evolved from some form of parasite, like the tick or the leech, that survives by taking resources from other species, and perhaps reproduced by somehow injecting chemicals into the mother grub that produced a matriorb.

Even though I'm nthing the "this doesn't really matter" point of view, we've also seen the egg come out of Kanaya's mother grub. I know that it was for another mother grub, but it did look distinctly troll-like. I do like the idea that the trolls are all basically the same sex; it kind of explains why they don't think about things like gay or straight.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I'm just saying that maybe the question you should be asking isn't "why does this alien girl from an anime I read have boobs" is all.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Well what else are girl trolls going to put in their wobble rucksacks?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Hmm yes let's have a detailed discussion of troll biology and reproduction OH WAIT UPDATE thank god.

Not a lot happening in the new pages. I think this may be the first time anyone in the comic has actually broached the idea of fighting Lord English head on, though. For a while things kind of seemed to be shaping up towards having the alpha kids wind up creating Lord English (who they knew very little about beyond being the one thing that the batterwitch feared) but that's looking less likely now that Aranea has put him on Jake's radar as something to be stopped.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Upd8!

Seems like most of our guessing are playing out correctly. It's interesting that the Frog Temple (or something similar) apparently landed on the moon in the the A1 version of the game.

edit: ^ Defeated by not killed is a good target to set against Lord English, it seems. That's new info.

edit2: I like how each of the antagonists in this story are established having different strengths and weaknesses.

- Doc Scratch was tricky and nearly indestructible, but could be overpowered and was susceptible to Hussie.
- Lord English is, seemingly, all powerful and completely immortal, but seems to be more of an unthinking, malicious brute than a master planner.
- The Condense is malicious and power hungry, but seems to poorly think out her plans and is prone to overconfidence.
- Jack basically has no plans, just kills for fun.

Each will need to be / was defeated in a different way.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 13, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As a movies expert, Jake knows that the way to beat the bad guy is by killing him.

As important as all this stuff surely is, I think I am about ready for Jake to stop receiving exposition. Aranea is as long-winded in this incarnation as she was as Mindfang, and even Imaginary Dirk is getting old. Fortunately, it looks like that's what's about to happen. Meenah is in there, but it was implied there are others.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spooky ghost smooches, hooray!

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
So it's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to 100% cut away to another character soon before there can be a group meeting. It seems like Hussie is going out of his way to not...do...anything at all with moving the plot forward lately.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Bobulus posted:

It's worse than that, I'm afraid. Recall that we've seen a mother grub (Kanaya's lusus) and it's an entirely different species than the trolls. While it certainly has social reverence, it is a lusus like all the rest.

So it's not so much that the mother grub is the female of the species, but that trolls are a one-gender (in terms of reproduction capacity) species in a symbiotic reproduction relationship with another species, almost like bees and flowers, rather than just bees. (Short version: bees collect nectar from flowers, also get pollen as a side effect. Ranging from flower to flower benefits the bee by getting food and benefits the flower by spreading the pollen to other flowers, aiding reproduction)

Yeah, okay, not that I care about this too deeply as it transpires in the comic, but this isn't how the designation "species" works. When your species has one gender, and your only method of procreation is by inseminating another species that also has one gender, that is not a one-gender relationship with another species. That is a two-gender relationship with the other gender of your own species. That's how those words work. Modern biologist will very explicitly back me up on this.

Sexual dimorphism, bro. I know girls are weird and all but their weird shaped pelvises don't disqualify them from the human club.

Look, the real reason that there are girl trolls and boy trolls? Is because those genders are universal traits. Like, Skia assigns classes based on them. Trolls have girls and boys for the same reason they have souls.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

So it's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to 100% cut away to another character soon before there can be a group meeting. It seems like Hussie is going out of his way to not...do...anything at all with moving the plot forward lately.

I wouldn't say that. We did cut back here after Jackbreak, so I'd say this feels like a flash coming up.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Man, cobalt-blooded trolls just keep failing to use their psychic powers in ways that would actually avert disaster.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Bongo Bill posted:

As a movies expert, Jake knows that the way to beat the bad guy is by killing him.

As important as all this stuff surely is, I think I am about ready for Jake to stop receiving exposition.
This has been kind of a problem with this whole act to some extent - too much time spent spelling out things which are mostly pretty obvious to begin with.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

ShardPhoenix posted:

This has been kind of a problem with this whole act to some extent - too much time spent spelling out things which are mostly pretty obvious to begin with.

You forget that a lot people aren't very bright and don't realize the things that are obvious.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Somethin' just ain't right about that boy.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Astro Ambulance posted:

You forget that a lot people aren't very bright and don't realize the things that are obvious.
I guess it's also more beneficial to people who are/will be reading in archive mode without scrutinizing every page in forums or what-have-you. Even so, it's getting a bit repetitive.

edit: Also to be fair I still laughed at some parts of the recent updates.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 13, 2012

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Eikre posted:

Yeah, okay, not that I care about this too deeply as it transpires in the comic, but this isn't how the designation "species" works. When your species has one gender, and your only method of procreation is by inseminating another species that also has one gender, that is not a one-gender relationship with another species. That is a two-gender relationship with the other gender of your own species. That's how those words work. Modern biologist will very explicitly back me up on this.

WARNING: BIO-SPERG A COMIN'

Welllll, not quite. The link you provided is a really cool example of sexual dimorphism, but you're still assuming that "boy impregnates girl" is the only game in town when it comes to sexual reproduction, when really it isn't. Obviously many species lay eggs instead of getting knocked up, plus there are a handfull of species where the males actually are the ones who get pregnant.

So, what makes a male a male and a female a female if dude pipefish are the ones havin' the babies (and they are)? It all comes down to gamete size. The very simplest form of sexual reproduction came about when little primordial critters started branching out into two groups: one group made big gametes (eggs), and another made little ones (sperm). Biologically speaking, whichever sex makes bigger dna packets is considered female, no matter who carries the kids.

I don't think the mother grub is supposed to be the female of the species, since it's implied that she isn't actually contributing dna, just sort of cooking it. It's theoretically possible that mother grubs actually are another species with a separate evolutionary lineage that just entered a very close symbiotic relationship with trolls. What about the imperial drones? Different species or just specialized morphology? Who knows? They're aliens in a webcomic that is written by a guy who is way less spergy about biology than I am, and I'm not going to try to apply the principals of sexual reproduction to them because a) it probably wouldn't make sense and b) I don't feel like thinking that hard about cartoon baby making.

END BIO-SPERG

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ShardPhoenix posted:

edit: Also to be fair I still laughed at some parts of the recent updates.
"I think your dead girlfriend is coming out of her shell" was pretty amazing. Imaginary Dirk is still the best, worst wingman.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I like how everyone is so paranoid about the potential of sounding too invested in discussing fictional biology, and being completely unsubtle about said insecurity in their posting. Like the equivalent of going "Well, it's not like I'm gay or anything, but.." to preface every paragraph when discussing fashion.

Anyway, with the slightly sluggish update schedule lately, I'll admit that even I've been antsy to move on past the long blocks of text we've been getting, and I was someone who actually was amused by the Doc Scratch updates. As mentioned, we're going over a lot of things we basically had already guessed and could have been summed up much more succinctly. (Perhaps the difference is that Aranea lacks the more amusing smugness Scratch and her ancestor/descendant possessed.)

I do have to give 5/5 hats to Dirk for his amazing participation, at least, although I don't think even he could save this segment if it goes on for much longer.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Screw Jake; I want to see what's happening with Roxy. Seems like her prison-block home is on fire and she needs to get her rear end in the game before she's roasted, like with what happened to Rose. That'd be a lot more interesting that "Jake is awkward. Again".

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pessimism posted:

WARNING: BIO-SPERG A COMIN'

It's explicitly stated in Dirk's historical exposition bit that trolls/lusii/drones are a symbiosis thing, along with all of their ludicrous biotech.

e/ gently caress it, im gay.

Eikre posted:

No, see, those are all still fish. There is no taxonomist on earth who would put a giant butterfly grub in the same phylum as an erect quadrupedal vertebrate, let alone the same species.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 13, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So I think Homestuck finally broke Treestuck. Even when Eridan went on his killing spree, she only wanted them to lock him up until he calmed down. She didn't want him to die. Until that Seek the Highblood scene...

Treestuck posted:

equius

TAKE

HIM OUT

I KNOW YOU CAN

I KNOW

YOU CAN DO IT

PLEASE JUST

BACKHAND HIM

ONCE

KNOCK HIM OUT

PLEASE

KILL HIM IF YOU HAVE TO ITS OKAY

IT’S

OKAY

PLEASE JUST

PLEASE

I DONT WANT TO BE HERE ANY MORE

The entertaining part is that she keeps setting herself up for this stuff:

quote:

MAYOR WHY ARE YOU SO CUTE

seriously my heart can’t take just HOW ADORABLE the mayor is. I swear I might ACTUALLY STRAIGHT UP JUST START BAWLING if hussie does anything to him. The mayor is too precious, not even hussie could hurt the mayor, right??

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 13, 2012

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Bobulus posted:

So I think Homestuck finally broke Treestuck. Even when Eridan went on his killing spree, she only wanted them to lock him up until he calmed down. She didn't want him to die. Until that Seek the Highblood scene...

The entertaining part is that she keeps setting herself up for this stuff:

It's like watching a dog get kicked over and over again and bringing its master a bigger boot every time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

It doesn't matter though because they aren't real. It doesn't serve the story in any way to be concerned about how it doesn't make sense because for the purpose of the story it does make sense.
I'm gonna steal an example for a second.Think about Draculas for a second. More importantly how exactly do you kill a dracula? Like make a list, poo poo. It doesn't matter because they aren't real. You can make up any arbitrary rule you want because in your story that's simply just how it works.

On top of that, it's already explained that they played a part in creating our universe.

You kill a Dracula by staking them in place (not necessarily with a wooden stake: Dracula himself is impaled to the bed of his coffin by a bowie knife) while they're sleeping then sawing off their head. See, the thing is, within the story, that does make sense: vampires are so preternaturally strong, fast and tough that you need to immobilise them before you can kill them, and you can't do that unless you get the jump on them, and you'll never get the jump on them unless they're sleeping.

Internal consistency is a thing. Just saying "anything can do anything, it's a story, it's arbitrary!" is a bad attitude towards writing, and tends to create poor stories. If things don't work in a consistent, interlocking way, you lose suspension of disbelief, and then people buy out of the story!

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

No, see, those are all still fish. There is no taxonomist on earth who would put a giant butterfly grub in the same phylum as an erect quadrupedal vertebrate, let alone the same species.
Trolls metamorphosise from grubs that look very similar to Kanaya's lusus, though. And they at least have skulls, because a mother grub skull was the counterweight to the scale Terezi's lusus was on before it hatched.

I don't think there's enough information to say whether mother grubs are the same species as trolls or not, but they seem pretty similar.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Remember that trolls are literal grubs when first hatched, and can be induced to develop butterfly wings.

Also, do we actually know that trolls have spines and giant butterfly grub monsters don't?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Taxonomists classify species based on evolutionary lineage, not just what they look like. Some species have such massive differences in morphology that taxonomists thought they were different species until dna testing could verify that they were actually the same. Would you see a species containing giant butterfly grubs and also humanoid forms on earth? Not likely. In a webcomic? Sure, why not? Not saying this definitely means they're the same species and not symbiotes, but it's possible.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Android Blues posted:

You kill a Dracula by staking them in place (not necessarily with a wooden stake: Dracula himself is impaled to the bed of his coffin by a bowie knife) while they're sleeping then sawing off their head. See, the thing is, within the story, that does make sense: vampires are so preternaturally strong, fast and tough that you need to immobilise them before you can kill them, and you can't do that unless you get the jump on them, and you'll never get the jump on them unless they're sleeping.

Internal consistency is a thing. Just saying "anything can do anything, it's a story, it's arbitrary!" is a bad attitude towards writing, and tends to create poor stories. If things don't work in a consistent, interlocking way, you lose suspension of disbelief, and then people buy out of the story!

Yeah, even Hussie is aware of this when he goes out of the way to create absurdly overpowered villains. Demonhead Mobster Kingpin had a load of superpowered bullshit that got disarmed in ways that the comic had foreshadowed like crazy.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 13, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

e/ gently caress it, im gay.

Hey, apropos of nothing, don't use this like that.

Edit: I think, somehow, the whole key to defeating all the big bads is going to be turning them against one-another. The Condesce using Jack against English, maybe. Jack's still sort of the wild card here, as he's pretty much unrelated to the entire English/Condesce/Scratch/Handmaid web.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 13, 2012

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Cabbit posted:

I think he was referring to that post comparing all the "I don't care about troll sex biology but..." to "I'm not gay but...", not using "gay" as a synonym for "lame".

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Edit: I think, somehow, the whole key to defeating all the big bads is going to be turning them against one-another. The Condesce using Jack against English, maybe. Jack's still sort of the wild card here, as he's pretty much unrelated to the entire English/Condesce/Scratch/Handmaid web.

well my baseless speculation is around Aradia and co. rallying all the doomed timelines to take out English, since that addresses one of the thematic points pretty strongly about Alpha vs. Beta timelines. (how can you have a choice when every choice but one ends up killing you/being annihilated from existence? It seems pretty important for all those other timelines to have meaning to avoid deterministic nihilism, so what better way than having all the "doomed" come back to gently caress poo poo Up?)

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cabbit posted:

It was a poor reference to Midnight Raider's post, and an admission that I'm a shameless dweeb and don't care who knows it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

closeted republican posted:

Screw Jake; I want to see what's happening with Roxy. Seems like her prison-block home is on fire and she needs to get her rear end in the game before she's roasted, like with what happened to Rose. That'd be a lot more interesting that "Jake is awkward. Again".
This is pretty much how I feel about things right now. Jake is the least interesting of the 4 kids, especially given that the rest all have some pressing issue they need to address right now. Jake is just currently really, really dull compared to like half the cast.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

This is pretty much how I feel about things right now. Jake is the least interesting of the 4 kids, especially given that the rest all have some pressing issue they need to address right now. Jake is just currently really, really dull compared to like half the cast.

To be fair, he does have a volcano exploding right next to his house. He got knocked out by flying debris, remember? Since the session already has a forge (Jade's planet), I'm not sure if Jake's volcano will come with him, or, more likely, it's the disaster he needs to get away from.

It's more that, like Jade, his crisis can wait the longest, so he gets to spend time getting info that will help the others.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
We know Jake's volcano doesn't come with him: the views of the future during Jane's entry flash include one where the top of it just pokes out of the sea.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

We know Jake's volcano doesn't come with him: the views of the future during Jane's entry flash include one where the top of it just pokes out of the sea.

Furthermore, there's also some sort of BC-structure and Gl'bgolyb appears to be hanging around, perhaps suggested the island becomes the Condesce's earth headquarters.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Oh hey, update. Looks like Jade did the family thing and stole the archagent's fourth wall. Interesting that she apparently headed into the session and back out long before (on the incipisphere's timeline) any of the players arrived.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Update.

So it looks like grannyJade nabbed the 4th wall. Maybe that's what the giant thing in Jake's inventory is?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I wonder what kind of help the Penultimagent will be able to scare up, with the rest of the crew occupied with being dead, imprisoned or adora...bloodthirsty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Maybe that's what the giant thing in Jake's inventory is?

Possibly. Wherever it is, if it's not in his inventory it's most likely still somewhere on his island, and also most likely where John and Jade will be coming in from. (The meteor gang will just sort of drift in from the Furthest Ring, I guess.)