Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
So it looks like we may be out of the Saab Club. For now, at least. ~$3k in damage to the front end of our 9-3, likely to get written off by the insurance company of the woman whose daughter hit it, according to the guy at the collision shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

:swoon:

That's awesome. Is this yours? Aren't they hella rare?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

No, no, not mine. Just saw an article about the car on Jalopnik recently. And they are indeed hella rare, only two made, one of which lives at the Saab museum.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
It's gorgeous. SAAB could've given Volvo a run for their money with something like that. I think I just found my new desktop.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nuclear Tourist posted:

:swoon:

So pretty.

Going to take the Aero for inspection tomorrow morning at 6:50am, and on the way home just now the highbeams quit working (decided to just test the lights a bit in advance!). Of course, beeing a Saab it means no highbeam != broken bulb, but rather a cracked solder joint in a "lamp control module". Cost 200 bucks and of course you can't score one on a Sunday evening, so had to crack it open and (poorly) re-solder the cracked connections (two of them).

Works now though, so hoping nothing else will appear before morning.

(edit: ironically, the failed part is labeled "lamp failure guard" and is what in most cases CAUSES lamp failures...yeah. It's like a jobs program.)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 13, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Francis Baconator posted:

It's gorgeous. SAAB could've given Volvo a run for their money with something like that. I think I just found my new desktop.
Honestly, with their large hatchbacks, Saab were about as practical as Volvo but with (at the time) a better image and way more performance.

Drop me in, say, the mid Eighties, and in need of a family car, and Saab would be far further up the list than Volvo.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Honestly, with their large hatchbacks, Saab were about as practical as Volvo but with (at the time) a better image and way more performance.

Drop me in, say, the mid Eighties, and in need of a family car, and Saab would be far further up the list than Volvo.

Yeah, the Saab "combi coupe" (not sure what it was called outside Sweden) was pretty awesome. My family went through a few when I grew up. We'd go on vacation in one with 2 adults, 4 kids, a dog, and a small boat strapped to the top. I just laugh when people run out and buy a Suburban in panic when they are about to have their first kid...

Once on the way home the fuel pump crapped out (this was in a late 70s / early 80s 900), and we were stranded on the road an hour from home. My dad, always the creative mechanic, put a gas can in the boat that was on top of the car, then pulled the windshield washer hose off and used that to make a makeshift fuel feed to the carb, siphoning gas from the can. The car didn't run great, but it ran well enough to make it home.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

So it looks like we may be out of the Saab Club. For now, at least. ~$3k in damage to the front end of our 9-3, likely to get written off by the insurance company of the woman whose daughter hit it, according to the guy at the collision shop.

It's worse for newer cars. 2006+ noses are impossible to find, and may fender benders are turning into writeoffs. Now if someone would just start the lawsuit against GM..

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

The auto transport company notified me that my 900 will be loaded up tomorrow, the 16th. It should be here no later than the 22nd. Usually, they come sooner, but I'd be fine with that. Best birthday gift ever. Can't wait!

EDIT: Got the phone number for the carrier. Looks like they'll be picking up the 900 on the 17th. :smith: Oh well, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, still stoked.

Francis Baconator fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 17, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Made it to Carlisle. Now, driving home. I love my Turbo X.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
So the insurance company finally came back to us with a number.

To start with, NADA puts our car at $6800
KBB at $6500.

The only local 2000 9-3SE Convertible to us is $7000, with a $7600 1999 and a $9000 2001 via Autotrader (ignoring the $4000 R-title car)

Their offer that they refuse to budge from is $6300, with tax/title added in.

gently caress you Chubb. (Also I rounded all the numbers to the nearest hundred)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Faerunner posted:

So the insurance company finally came back to us with a number.

To start with, NADA puts our car at $6800
KBB at $6500.

The only local 2000 9-3SE Convertible to us is $7000, with a $7600 1999 and a $9000 2001 via Autotrader (ignoring the $4000 R-title car)

Their offer that they refuse to budge from is $6300, with tax/title added in.

gently caress you Chubb. (Also I rounded all the numbers to the nearest hundred)

NADA and KBB are the only numbers you look at, people on craigslist don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground. That said, a midbook between the two and a fair number at this point would be $6650. How are they getting to $6300? How many miles are on your vehicle? I don't care about options, that's just throw in poo poo and nobody looks at those, the meaningful details are: Year, make, model, engine, transmission and miles. The options are never factored in because of the degredation factor.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

keykey posted:

NADA and KBB are the only numbers you look at, people on craigslist don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground. That said, a midbook between the two and a fair number at this point would be $6650. How are they getting to $6300? How many miles are on your vehicle? I don't care about options, that's just throw in poo poo and nobody looks at those, the meaningful details are: Year, make, model, engine, transmission and miles. The options are never factored in because of the degredation factor.

They're arriving at that value by doing exactly what you said nobody does so...

Cars for sale "near" me (their comparables are as far out as 285 miles) average, averaged against NADA, came to ~$6000 + ~400 for tax/title fees - $100 because we put the stock wheels and tires on versus the aftermarket wheels/tires that we had on it when they did the estimate.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

You misunderstood me, the options i.e. power windows, doorlocks, heated seats, etc... stuff that a normal person would add a business never does. What's the year/make/model/engine/transmission and miles of your saab?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

keykey posted:

You misunderstood me, the options i.e. power windows, doorlocks, heated seats, etc... stuff that a normal person would add a business never does. What's the year/make/model/engine/transmission and miles of your saab?

You misunderstood me.

That's the sort of thing they're basing the value on.

But it's a 2000 9-3SE convertible, automatic, with 109k miles.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Regionally, I'm getting $6,610. If the stuff was added, the mid would be $6,690. That's why I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. In any case, they're off by a few hundred. Probably what they're doing is not using the whole portion of the mile add for the low miles.

edit: I'm probably not in the same region as you and cars sell for typically a higher amount for boutique type cars such as Saabs and such so their price may very well be correct for your region. People in the bay area loooooove Saabs and pay stupid amounts.

Fetusy_Goodness
Jul 4, 2000
When it rains it pours, it seems. I've been looking for bottom of the barrel craigslist cars because ours poo poo the bed and I've come across two Sonetts. I've no relation to either of these sellers, but I thought I'd pass along the typical garden dressing of the South with a Swedish twist: the screwed-up car in the lawn.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/3031762716.html
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/3026582565.html

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

My '93 900S convertible got dropped off by auto transport today. I've got complete accessories and service history, all the original sales/owners materials and even the window sticker. This puppy originally had an MSRP of $33K! Anyway, everything is beautiful. Dash is clean and crack-free, leather is in great shape, etc. I cleaned out and conditioned the whole interior. Still waiting on the horse hair brush, top cleaner and conditioner, so I may delve under the hood tomorrow after work instead. Can't wait! This is the one to keep. To be buried in. I. Will. Not. Sell. This. Car.

Pictures will follow!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
We ended up getting $6505.xx for the Saab; we paid $7700 with tax for it in 2010. Whatever, $1200 in "depreciation" over two years is acceptable.

No more Saabs for us, for now. With our luck we'll just have to go through this again before too long when someone hits our next car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

No more Saabs for us, for now. With our luck we'll just have to go through this again before too long when someone hits our next car.

You sure? I have an '89 C900T CV AND a 2K1 Sun Green 93 CV SE which are looking for a new home. 2K8 95 may be moving on, too.

I've decided to keep the Turbo X, because I am an idiot.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Viggen posted:

You sure? I have an '89 C900T CV AND a 2K1 Sun Green 93 CV SE which are looking for a new home. 2K8 95 may be moving on, too.

I've decided to keep the Turbo X, because I am an idiot.

That depends... How much are you looking to get for the '89 and where are you?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Sold.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 25, 2012

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Eh, too far/don't like white but thanks anyhow.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

Eh, too far/don't like white but thanks anyhow.

Even with the spare wiper blades? :D

Had some interest over the weekend, but thankfully, nobody ponied up the cash. I hate driving my SAABs. Every time I do, I remember why I love them and they're going to continue to be 'yard art'.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm cross-shopping a late (07-09) turbo V6 9-3 against similar-era Legacy GT and Mazdaspeed 6. With those two I have at least some idea of what to expect but Saabs are pretty much an unknown to me; what's the biggest problems/things to watch for/dread here?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I don't know what the major issues are on those, but IME they can get a weird idle surge in natural that the dealer couldn't fix with computer updates. Thats just one car, though.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Saab was purchased today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18423709

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

So Saab will now be an electric car company.. :shepicide:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

When I first saw the Phoenix concept, I knew there was no other possible outcome.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Phy posted:

I'm cross-shopping a late (07-09) turbo V6 9-3 against similar-era Legacy GT and Mazdaspeed 6. With those two I have at least some idea of what to expect but Saabs are pretty much an unknown to me; what's the biggest problems/things to watch for/dread here?

The 2.8 is a pain in the rear end to do anything but change the oil on. Otherwise, I can't really think of much, offhand.

keykey posted:

So Saab will now be an electric car company.. :shepicide:

I pray to god they don't resurrect the brand. Please let it go.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I'm checking out Saab 900 Convertibles, and I'm figuring that the classic 900's will take me further and generally be a better purchase than the NG 97's and 98's that are also said to be pretty dependable.

Considering I'm shopping for a car that can legally buy cigarettes, why are people asking for ridiculous prices for them?

Case in point:
http://www.economycarz.com/Dealer-Websites/Merrimack-Autosport-NH/viewinventorydetails.aspx?inventoryid=DNQ9IzdIWVI%3d

6k + 2k down is a little bit outside of my price range, especially when KBB puts the car at 4500 (there's rust visible on the driver door). Am I wading into fanatic collector territory, or are there just no good deals out there today?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Cheekio posted:

I'm checking out Saab 900 Convertibles, and I'm figuring that the classic 900's will take me further and generally be a better purchase than the NG 97's and 98's that are also said to be pretty dependable.

Considering I'm shopping for a car that can legally buy cigarettes, why are people asking for ridiculous prices for them?

Case in point:
http://www.economycarz.com/Dealer-Websites/Merrimack-Autosport-NH/viewinventorydetails.aspx?inventoryid=DNQ9IzdIWVI%3d

6k + 2k down is a little bit outside of my price range, especially when KBB puts the car at 4500 (there's rust visible on the driver door). Am I wading into fanatic collector territory, or are there just no good deals out there today?

For a start it's summer. Then add in the almost ridiculously low mileage. And it's a 5 speed. You're looking at price premiums for all three. And that's just at a glance.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Not to mention that it's a pretty uncommon color, turbo and in decent shape. Still, that is pretty spendy. You can always stop by the SaabNet C900 classifieds if you want to check your options in a saner price range. They'll have been cared for by Saab nerds but without the dealer price bump.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

There's a 1993 turbo being marketed in Burlington (super close) for 8600- another dealership pushing it as a collectible. Dealers are basically evil.

http://autobahnbodyworks.com/viewcar.php?uid=89

Thanks for the pointer to Saabnet- great classifieds to peruse, even if I can't go and steal the great deals that pop up in Arizona.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Cheekio posted:

There's a 1993 turbo being marketed in Burlington (super close) for 8600- another dealership pushing it as a collectible. Dealers are basically evil.

http://autobahnbodyworks.com/viewcar.php?uid=89

Thanks for the pointer to Saabnet- great classifieds to peruse, even if I can't go and steal the great deals that pop up in Arizona.
Yeah, that's too bad. Those dealers know just enough to be dangerous. The way they throw around the term "barn find" though, makes me wonder if this 900 had been sitting. And if so, for how long? The miles are a nice bonus (if it's not due to a busted odometer), but it looks a bit rough around the edges. Like the color, though, same as mine. Just a few observations. Cool find, but unless they want to bring their asking price down to planet earth, best to move on. Of course, you can always throw them a figure you're comfortable with and see what happens.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

Of course, you can always throw them a figure you're comfortable with and see what happens.

Trust me, this is a bad idea when approaching BMW dealerships to inquire about a SAAB. t:q:

SaabNet, SaabWorld, SaabCentral are all decent places to price out things, but keep in mind you've got a ton of vultures to deal with, so if it seems like a great deal, and it lasts more than a couple hours, it's probably best to pass.

I'm still trying to sell my C900, but it's a 3 speed auto and far west coast. I'll probably just drive it to SFBA if I don't get any non kick-the-tires bites.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I checked out the second 900 Turbo Convertible (1993), it had a ton of cosmetic issues, and I'm not really qualified to talk on the shape of the engine (aside from only having 46k miles). The big ones were that the top had a big rip in it, and I'm not sure about this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73f2xmi170xf4lz/2012-06-28%2017.21.44.3gp

It looks like the exhaust has a hole in it and was leaking. Is that a big deal?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cheekio posted:

It looks like the exhaust has a hole in it and was leaking. Is that a big deal?

My C900 liked to burble just a bit when the gas was overfilled. What are we looking at, I can't tell?

Got someone coming to look at my 89 today, and someone else interested. Maybe I'll clear out a spot in the side yard. It'd be nice to not have to use the RV pull as overflow storage.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Crosspost from 'for sale', and to get the SAAB thread off of the back page.

Looks like I might as well put out a feeler for this:

2008 SAAB 95 2.3T

It's 2.3T branded rather than Aero, because I didn't want the parchment seats. It is the B235R with the TD04 Turbo.

The Good:

This car has less than 10,000 total miles on it, has never been in an accident, and gets claybarred and detailed at the very least twice a year.

The Bad:

There is one small run in the paint on the door - which I didn't notice when I picked it up, and gave up on driving 500 miles for GM to tell me to suck it.

It's a 6 speed flappypaddle with the bog stock GM multi-disc CD player. Onstar has not been deleted.

The warranty is good through July 23rd, 2012, not July 15th, 2012, as they held the car up a bit. That's not why it's for sale. I have too many cars. This one is truly my favorite, and it's hard to part with the idea that it will be the only new SAAB that I'll ever own.

Onto the pics:

The run on the door which I've just left alone:

This car is spotless, inside and out. No scuffs or nastiness. It's always been kept in a heat controlled garage. It is both Federal, and CARB certified, so you won't have any issue getting it registered in California. It was just smogged 2 weeks ago, and passed with flying colors.

It's worth about $15,000 retail using the data from KBB and Nada in Reno, which is my nearest local city. I'd likely sell it to a goonygoon for $13,000 cash. That is roughly a THIRD of what it cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I'm in the market for a cheapish daily driver for my highway commute. I came across a 2001 93 turbo with five speed and 171000 miles.

Is this a terrible idea? The car looks flawless and both keys and original owners manual are neatly included. I can do mostly my own work, but don't want to jump into a money pit disaster.

If I go look at it, what are things to inspect? Feel free to be specific/technical. What are known failure mechanisms? Could it still be on the stock turbo? Are parts reasonably easy to find and priced? For reference I've owned a heavily modified Mazda with a JDM motor and a late model turbo Subaru.

Thanks Saab goons.

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 20, 2012