Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I've decided I'm going to start baking more and want to get a decent stand mixer to make mostly cake type things with some bread thrown in there too. I have an opportunity to get one of the kitchenaid Artisan 5 qt stand mixers for $192 out the door. I've seen the prices on these things jump from $240ish up to $350ish in the last few months, but I feel like $192 is a good deal. The Artisan should work fine for me don't you think? I'm not going to be making huge amounts of anything, and I don't know how much heavy dudty bread I'll be kneading, so I'm thinking this will have enough power to do the job.

Also, with regards to cookware. Target has the Giada De Laurentius 10 pc Tri-ply clad stainless steel cookware on sale for like $170 and it comes with a free 6 pc bakeware set as well. I think the 10 pc set retails for $200 and the bakeware set retails for $50. That seems like a decent deal on what appears to be decent cookware. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I've picked it up in the stores and it seems pretty heavy/sturdy(I'm really not sure what to look for in stainless steel cookware but I've noticed how heavy the all-clad stuff is). The only thing is I'm not sure if what's included would be enough for everyone, the sautee pans seem a little small perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Cuisinart was $214 a week ago, but since it's back up to $255 the Artisan at $192 is a good deal.

We've had at least three people who've been happy with the Cuisinart MCP-12 set. I can't vouch for Giada's, but I would rather take my chances with any tri-ply cookware including Giada's than any aluminum disc cookware.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Does anyone know of an electric pressure cooker that hits 15psi? After some cursory searching none of them seem to list what pressures they operate at and I ran across a bunch of reviews that say that most only go up to 10 or 11 psi.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CIYCEPMCMAM
Looks like this one does, but I didn't look through all the reviews everywhere to see about it only hitting 10 or 11psi, I just looked on the google review site.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
I'm interested in getting a wet grinder for Indian cooking. Something like this, http://www.bombaylimited.net/blc/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=49

I've searched to see if anyone had recommended or bought anything like this before with no luck. Getting a good wet curry paste is difficult to do with a mortar and pestle, and I don't want to grind spices often in my regular blender. Does anyone have any experience with this type of blender?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Most people never need a boner, for example *cough*
Well, you might never need a boner, but they sure as hell can be fun! ;-*

(I think the word you're looking for is "boning")

Steve Yun posted:

Beater Blade
These actually work? I never got one because I thought they were just gimmicks.

Steve Yun posted:

Off the beaten path there is the KitchenArt Adjust-A-Cup which is a cylindrical tube with accurate measurements and a plunger/pusher that's ideal for gooey ingredients like honey or peanut butter.
I don't know if this is common but the rubber gasket on my 2 cup Adjust-a-Cup partially ripped off after a couple of months and it now leaks. Otherwise I like mine pretty much.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

nmfree posted:

These actually work? I never got one because I thought they were just gimmicks.

They're freaking rad. Work exactly as advertised.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doodarazumas posted:

They're freaking rad. Work exactly as advertised.

I totally want one of these, but I will wait until I come to the US as they are an appalling rip-off in the UK - £33 vs $17.

My Artisan came with the standard 4 (4.5?) qt bowl. IS there a bigger bowl which fits it too?

lastly, UK goons, this is an excellent bread knife, and an absolute bargain at the price, given the high quality.
http://bakerybits.co.uk/Bakers-Bread-Knife-P1567731.aspx

I'd like to highly recommend a long bread knife; SO much easier to cut big loaves when one's knife is longer than 8 inches.

VV Excellent, thank you v much

therattle fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 10, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Artisan can go up to a 5 quart bowl:
http://www.amazon.com/Kitchenaid-K5THSBP-Stainless-Steel-Replacement/dp/B000094G4K/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1336645542&sr=8-25

If you want a glass one:
http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-K5GB-5-Quart-Glass-Bowl/dp/B002WUPWC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1336645597&sr=1-1

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Dr.Spaceman posted:

I'm interested in getting a wet grinder for Indian cooking. Something like this, http://www.bombaylimited.net/blc/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=49

I've searched to see if anyone had recommended or bought anything like this before with no luck. Getting a good wet curry paste is difficult to do with a mortar and pestle, and I don't want to grind spices often in my regular blender. Does anyone have any experience with this type of blender?

I've not used one myself, but Barbara of Tigers and Strawberries likes the Preethi Eco Plus.

zagron
May 10, 2012
After moving out of my university dorm I decided to upgrade my microwave, due to my previous one being too small to cook a bag of popcorn in.
I came across this:
http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/25l-convection-microwave-oven/

And while a microwave/convection oven/grill does sound horribly gimmicky, I must say, I am in love with it.

The only thing really lacking is the grill function, its a bit slow to heat up. You can however use all 3 functions at the same time, or two at a time and its a pretty nifty way to cook some foods.

Kogan is (i believe) an Australian brand, but im sure there are similar products out there.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

So I picked up that Costco MCP Cuisinart set for $150 today as soon as the place opened. Cooking dinner on it now, I love this set! Thanks for the recommendation!

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Keep in mind that the awesome glass bowl only works with tilt head style mixers and not bowl lift! I was upset to find this out cos the glass bowl looks better and measurement lines on the bowl sounds occasionally handy

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I have had the Cuisinart MCP set for about 3 or 4 months now and its been great, and has been getting a lot of use. I am constantly using the smaller pan to make omelets every morning. I always clean it immediately and it always came out looking good as new.

Recently others in my house have started using the same pan and within the span of a week or so it looks horrible. I know they are cooking eggs, but not sure what else in it. It has a really bad yellow tint which for the most part is smooth, but does in places have a slight texture. I do know it doesn't get cleaned immediatly, they have a bad habit of just leaving stuff in the sink to clean later.

I realize it wont stay looking new forever, but drat, how can I clean this up? soap and water don't seem to be doing the trick. :(

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Bar Keepers Friend will get your pans looking new again.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Walk Away posted:

Bar Keepers Friend will get your pans looking new again.

Thanks, I will try this out.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I would have to assume that its people who cannot cook eggs, so they use too high a heat and too much oil. BKF will take the built up oil off in a snap, just don't let the film build up.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I had this issue last night. I was pan searing a steak in one of my mcp skillets (I don't have a cast iron skillet... yet). After I flipped the steak once, all of the sudden the entire side of the pan (not touching the meat) started to get that black film on the top of it. What the hell was that?

I was able to scrub 90% of it off, but I'm going to have to BKF it this weekend because it's not so pretty anymore :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

I had this issue last night. I was pan searing a steak in one of my mcp skillets (I don't have a cast iron skillet... yet). After I flipped the steak once, all of the sudden the entire side of the pan (not touching the meat) started to get that black film on the top of it. What the hell was that?

I was able to scrub 90% of it off, but I'm going to have to BKF it this weekend because it's not so pretty anymore :(

Burned fat, most likely.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Dr.Spaceman posted:

They last roughly a year or two, and then they stop working for anything more than miniscule quantities of anything. Just get a vita prep from vitamix. It's a work horse, and will grind the idli or dosa or uttapam batters down to a buttery soft consistency in a fraction of the time. My sister-in-law's takes about 20 minutes for a single night's batch of idli. My mother's Ultra takes about 30 minutes for almost double that tiny quantity, but not by much. The vitamix at work takes 3 minutes for a triple batch of my idli batter. Made with BROWN rice, not their wussy little white rice ones, which is all the wet grinders are suitable for. It's not worth the money.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm not super impressed with Cuisinart's MCP cookware personally. I have a 12" pan that warped after less than a dozen uses. When it heats up it wobbles from side to side and is pretty much unusable on a flat range. A similar thing happened to a Calphalon tri-ply skillet I had before the MCP skillet.

I have to wonder am I just doing something horrible to my skillets? I do frequently deglaze the inside of the pans with water right after cooking to help with the cleanup. I can't imagine deglazing would warp the bottom though. At this point I just use my nonstick skillet (big 1/2" thick or so aluminum disk) or cast iron pan since there's no way they'll ever warp.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 13, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mod sassinator posted:

I'm not super impressed with Cuisinart's MCP cookware personally. I have a 12" pan that warped after less than a dozen uses. When it heats up it wobbles from side to side and is pretty much unusable on a flat range. A similar thing happened to a Calphalon tri-ply skillet I had before the MCP skillet.

I have to wonder am I just doing something horrible to my skillets? I do frequently deglaze the inside of the pans with water right after cooking to help with the cleanup. I can't imagine deglazing would warp the bottom though. At this point I just use my nonstick skillet (big 1/2" thick or so aluminum disk) or cast iron pan since there's no way they'll ever warp.

I've used a 10 inch frying pan from this set http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-77-10-Stainless-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B00008CM68 as my most heavily used item for like the last 10 years, and it has never warped. throw it out of a 600 degree oven into a sink of cold water no problem. I don't know what the MCP line is, but chef's classic is what its all about. well on the cheap end of things anyways.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

I do frequently deglaze the inside of the pans with water right after cooking to help with the cleanup.
Are the pans still super hot when you drop the water in them? If so, wait till they cool down a bit, this may be the source of your warping.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

mindphlux posted:

I've used a 10 inch frying pan from this set http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-77-10-Stainless-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B00008CM68 as my most heavily used item for like the last 10 years, and it has never warped. throw it out of a 600 degree oven into a sink of cold water no problem. I don't know what the MCP line is, but chef's classic is what its all about. well on the cheap end of things anyways.

That actually doesn't look too bad, thanks! I think disc bottom cookware is probably the best for glass top ranges. I'll gladly give up cooking things on the edges (seriously, how often do you have a pan that full anyways) for a perfectly flat bottom. From what I read even All Clad pans can warp and not sit flat on glass ranges--no way I'm going to spend $120+ to risk it.

quote:

Are the pans still super hot when you drop the water in them? If so, wait till they cool down a bit, this may be the source of your warping.

They're hot but not super hot--I rarely cook on full high heat. The water will boil quickly but not instantly vaporize. If you let it cool down too much it won't really deglaze and be a pain to cleanup.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mod sassinator posted:

They're hot but not super hot--I rarely cook on full high heat. The water will boil quickly but not instantly vaporize. If you let it cool down too much it won't really deglaze and be a pain to cleanup.

I got this set at Macy's ~6mos ago for like 25bux. I've set the 12in pan on fire like 3 or 4 times(gogo med-high heat with sesame oil!). Incredibly good buy. They're treated with some nonstick coating, but I'm sure I've ruined that by now.

Should point out that I use them daily and no warping, and regularly over high heat when stir frying or searing. In fact, I don't think I've used them any lower than med-high.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I want to buy a allclad frying/sautepan of some sort. I have no real firm idea of what I want other then to have something other then the cast iron skillet I already have. I don't mind spending money to get something decent but want the best price/value I can get.

What should I buy?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I'm sick of crappy ice cream scoops. Broke at least one, some are flaking off. Would prefer to be able to throw it in the dishwasher (some of the antifreeze ones can't be washed). Tried some random off brand ones, an OXO one (which is flaking and the handle pulls off).

What is the world's best ice cream scoop?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

MrEnigma posted:

I'm sick of crappy ice cream scoops. Broke at least one, some are flaking off. Would prefer to be able to throw it in the dishwasher (some of the antifreeze ones can't be washed). Tried some random off brand ones, an OXO one (which is flaking and the handle pulls off).

Two options:

1) Ones you don't send through the dishwasher

2) If you have to send it through the dishwasher, get a stainless steel portioner from a restaurant supply store, they're awesome!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

MrEnigma posted:

This:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=40#post402999662

Not machine washable but there is no other scoop that releases as perfectly as this one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

I want to buy a allclad frying/sautepan of some sort. I have no real firm idea of what I want other then to have something other then the cast iron skillet I already have. I don't mind spending money to get something decent but want the best price/value I can get.

What should I buy?

All-Clad is what you buy when you want the best, not for price/value. They're going for $100-150. If you get one make sure it has rolled edges.

A Cuisinart Multi-clad 10 inch skillet is $50 on amazon right now, sometimes it even goes down to $35. That's probably the best bang for your buck. The 12 inch skillet is $65.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 16, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MrEnigma posted:

Email OXO they'll replace your ice cream scoop for free.

Mine had the flaking issue, they asked me to pick out any ice cream scoop and it showed up a week later.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
I saw a few people ask about mandolines and thought I'd recommend the one I bought off Amazon a few months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borner-V-1001-V-Slicer-Mandoline/dp/B0000632QE

I love it. It's super sharp (I lost the top quarter inch of my thumb on first use and it didn't even bleed- the cut was that clean!) and it's got a few interchangeable blades. All the stuff fits nicely together in the case. The instructions are in both English and German, but the English instructions aren't as in-depth as the German instructions. Luckily, there are also handy diagrams and pictures.

I am very happy with it. I have to admit that my only other mandoline experience was with a Walmart cheapo one I tried about 10 years ago. I threw it away within the first week. This mandoline is like, a million times better than that.

Hope this helps someone, since there wasn't a whole lot said about mandoline recommendations.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

ThreeFish posted:

I saw a few people ask about mandolines and thought I'd recommend the one I bought off Amazon a few months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borner-V-1001-V-Slicer-Mandoline/dp/B0000632QE

I love it. It's super sharp (I lost the top quarter inch of my thumb on first use and it didn't even bleed- the cut was that clean!) and it's got a few interchangeable blades. All the stuff fits nicely together in the case. The instructions are in both English and German, but the English instructions aren't as in-depth as the German instructions. Luckily, there are also handy diagrams and pictures.

I am very happy with it. I have to admit that my only other mandoline experience was with a Walmart cheapo one I tried about 10 years ago. I threw it away within the first week. This mandoline is like, a million times better than that.

Hope this helps someone, since there wasn't a whole lot said about mandoline recommendations.

I don't care how sharp that blade is. If you cut off 1/4 inch of your thumb and it didn't bleed, you have some serious circulation problems.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
ThreeFish's entire body is covered in callouses

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
My hands are pretty callous-y, come to think of it. But still, it took off a big chunk of thumb and I didn't feel it, nor did I bleed. It was enough of a chunk that my thumb felt really weird. I could feel the missing part. But why are we choosing to focus on this? It's a nice mandoline. I thought I would share. You GWS goons are so hard to please! :emo:

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Chemmy posted:

Email OXO they'll replace your ice cream scoop for free.

Mine had the flaking issue, they asked me to pick out any ice cream scoop and it showed up a week later.

I'm usually on top of emailing companies for replacements, but didn't even think about this. Thanks!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Is there a grilling thread anywhere? Specifically a grill reccomendation thread or something? I'm looking to buy a new grill and while the Weber's look and feel solid, I'm not sure I want to spend the money for one. I don't want to buy a grill and have it rust out in like 2-3 years though, I would be storing it outside in minnesota(with a cover). I've heard Weber's last a long time, even in the cold white north, so that's kind of where I'm leaning, but it's just so much money...

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Is there a grilling thread anywhere? Specifically a grill reccomendation thread or something? I'm looking to buy a new grill and while the Weber's look and feel solid, I'm not sure I want to spend the money for one. I don't want to buy a grill and have it rust out in like 2-3 years though, I would be storing it outside in minnesota(with a cover). I've heard Weber's last a long time, even in the cold white north, so that's kind of where I'm leaning, but it's just so much money...

On this topic, why the gently caress is it impossible to find a sturdy, well built grill for less than like $800. When I was looking to buy a gas grill a few years ago, I must have looked at 10 different stores and every single grill was made of a bunch of flimsy metal and loose wobbly plastic control knobs. Seriously, if these manufacturers put an extra $30 dollars worth of steel into these grills, I would happily pay an extra $200 for a grill with infinitely better fit/finish that didn't feel like some janky rear end wobbly piece of poo poo. Now that I think about it, I should probably just take the wheels off my grill. I never move it and that would at least make it feel a little more stable.

On a slightly related note (although not related to food at all), washing/drying machines also generally all have lovely feeling knobs. When I was looking to buy a nice new set, I know I turned down several different models simply because the knob made it feel cheap. When I'm spending like $1200 on some appliances, you'd think they would spend an extra $5 to build a really solid, nice feeling knob. You know, the main part of the appliance that the user interacts with.

/knob rant

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Just don't go for the gimmicks, like the cheap stainless steel and 50 burners.

Get a weber, and you don't need the biggest one. We've had a Weber Silver B for 3-4 years (and it was used for at least 5+ before that), parents and sister have the same grill, going on 6-7 years I believe. Still works great, the grills show their age a bit, but no rust or anything on it, and it sits out with no cover through Wisconsin winters.

Best part is my parents got the one we have for free because someone put it out on the curb with a free sign. Ignitor was broken I believe. Got new grates/flavorizer bars/etc and it's rock solid.

Edit: Looks like the 'Silver' line has been replaced by the Spirit line. They don't look as cool as the Summit line, but it has a lot of grill area, and cooks great. Functionality. -- http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/spirit-series/spirit-e-310

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 18, 2012

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I hear you Mr. Executive, I walked through a bunch of different stores and everything is 'STAINLESS STEEL, 5 BURNERS PLUS SIDE BURNER PLUS REFRIDGERATOR', but then I actually interact with the grill and the hood wobbles as it opens and it looks like one Minnesota winter will rust the whole grill out. I tell you what though, go fiddle with one of the Weber Genesis grills and you can just feel the quality. It feels like that thing could survive a nuclear bomb...

Thanks for the tips Enigma, I was mainly looking at the 3 burner models in the Spirit and Genesis line. The Genesis line feels a lot sturdier, although the spirit grills still felt better than anything else Lowe's had, and look/felt pretty good in their own right. The one thing I don't like about the spirit is the knobs on the side. I would much prefer to have knobs on the front so I can set plates and things on both sides.

I don't really want anything bigger than 3 burner, I don't want a sear burner or side burner either, it seems all those extra's run you another $100 per, and I just don't think I'd use them very often. This is the one I was looking at.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221890-505-6519099_4294936849+4294963688_4294937087_?productId=3284708&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_Weber_4294936849%2B4294963688_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%
7C1&facetInfo=Weber

It's one of those things where if I buy it I know I will be very happy with it for years to come, but in the short term it's a lot of money. Maybe I'll just sell some of my extra golf clubs to fund it :smith:.

Is there really not a grill thread though? I figured there'd be one somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Are you married to a gas grill? If not a weber kettle, and some lump charcoal is amazing. I'd recommend a Big Green Egg (can't live without mine), but I think that is a bit over your price range.

• Locked thread