Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

paraquat posted:

That does look good!
Just to be sure: it's raw meat still, right?
If so, and as its already seasoned: stick it in a preheated oven at 360-380 F for 30(-40) minutes

Yeah, its seasoned and uncooked. That sounds easy - what about covered vs uncovered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Cyril Sneer posted:

Yeah, its seasoned and uncooked. That sounds easy - what about covered vs uncovered?

uncovered, so the skin has the chance to get crispy....just make sure the outside doesn't turn too dark/black, and the inside is done (no pink chicken shall be eaten),
and it'll be great!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Halalelujah posted:

Anyone have a really good crabcake recipe?

Take crab, shove in mouf.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009
I know this has already been posted in that one thread where everyone was clowning on Mark Bittman's chicken butchering skills, but I can't find it because I'm slow. So, does anyone have a good video tutorial for butchering a chicken? Alternatively, if you know which thread I'm thinking of, can you please post a link to the page?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

JuanGoat posted:

I know this has already been posted in that one thread where everyone was clowning on Mark Bittman's chicken butchering skills, but I can't find it because I'm slow. So, does anyone have a good video tutorial for butchering a chicken? Alternatively, if you know which thread I'm thinking of, can you please post a link to the page?

I don't have a link to the Bittman page but here's a pretty good video of how to disassemble a chicken with Gordon Ramsay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEJSHRSJCn8

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?

Steve Yun posted:

I have a dozen bottles of hard liquor and none of them have condensation. Not conclusive, but I'd be suspicious.
Aw, drat it.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Shake it up and Put it in the freezer. If it freezes or gets slushy it is suspect. 80 proof liquor should not freeze and should just get viscous at freezer temps.

I'll do that, and see what happens.

Looks like I'm going to have to confront them if the test pans out. I hate doing this sort of poo poo. They AREN'T teenagers! They're old enough to drink! But they're watering down my damned vodka, and I'm not happy about it.

Thank you.

And, CuddleChunks, thank you, too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JuanGoat posted:

If Ramsay cutting everything up off the board gives you any pause, here's Alton Brown demonstrating piecing a chicken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iODAToI6_-o#t=0m45s

edit2: Ok after watching the full Ramsay video that is awesome. I'm going to have to try that and although I have the same chef's knife as Ramsay I'm a little scared to do the wishbone and drumstick chopping--I'll have to give it a try.

Hed fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 14, 2012

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Hed posted:

If Ramsay cutting everything up off the board gives you any pause, here's Alton Brown demonstrating piecing a chicken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iODAToI6_-o#t=0m45s

edit2: Ok after watching the full Ramsay video that is awesome. I'm going to have to try that and although I have the same chef's knife as Ramsay I'm a little scared to do the wishbone and drumstick chopping--I'll have to give it a try.

There are a lot of things that bother me about that Alton Brown video - try to do it without cutting towards your hands! I don't understand why he does the wings the way he does, either. That's the best part of doing your own chickens, every five to ten chickens, it's hot wing night!

I've done the Ramsay method a whole pile of times and I've never chipped my knife, which is a pretty good Henckels. Chicken bones are tiny and hollow. If you're really that scared, just use a cleaver for that part.

Also what I like to do is remove the wishbone with a paring knife just by cutting around it and pulling before I go about disassembling the chicken, rather than slicing through it like Ramsay does. The same method makes carving roast chickens easier, and I just like to stay consistent. But hey, it's your chicken, do whatever you want!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Anyone have any experience with curing your own olives? Is there a good place to buy them online? I checked the jammin' thread and there wasn't any mention of it.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009

Stalizard posted:

I don't have a link to the Bittman page but here's a pretty good video of how to disassemble a chicken with Gordon Ramsay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEJSHRSJCn8

I'm pretty sure this was the same video linked in that thread anyways. Thanks for the help! I'm actually making this fried chicken recipe for mother's day. Unfortunately, the chicken will only get to brine for about 4 hours or so, but I've cut the chicken before brining and sealed them in some freezer bags. Hopefully, they turn out pretty good!

Hed posted:

There was some pretty good info in this video too! I wish I knew about cutting around the oysters and squeezing the thigh and drumstick to expose the joint before I cut up the chicken, but there's always next time.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
What is your favorite cut of meat that is difficult to obtain? I mean strange pieces that you know of only because you are a butcher or friends with one, not boxed crap that is sent to Safeway. Optimal cooking method doesn't matter, nor does animal. I happen to love braising and beef cheeks are my favorite, for what it's worth.

I want to broaden my horizons, but not randomly so please give your suggestions! I usually just make whatever the butcher has carved up, which means that the cuts I have tried to successfully cook myself are:
- beef bavette/brisket/shank/cheeks/chuck roast/heart/filet mignon/ribeye/porterhouse/New York strip
- pork tenderloin/belly
- lamb shoulder
- duck whole
- chicken whole/legs/breasts
- turkey breast
- goat NOTHING how has that happened????

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yehudis Basya posted:

What is your favorite cut of meat that is difficult to obtain?

Foie gras, octopus (the full size ones, not the babbys), oxtail (though not so difficult to find anymore), sweetbreads (preferably veal), beef tendon, beef heart, pork ears, chicken feet, pork trotter.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

sweetbreads (preferably veal)

^^ can't find sweetbreads around here unless I'm butchering my own or ordering in 50 pound boxes

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stalizard posted:

I don't understand why he does the wings the way he does, either. That's the best part of doing your own chickens, every five to ten chickens, it's hot wing night!
He's leaving the winglet on to do airline breasts. The whole show was really about grilling so shifting the winglet to be on the breast rather than attached to the drumette allows the tiny wing to be cooked more evenly with his method.

Also you're absolutely right about the chicken bones, I'll try it and thanks for your paring trick too.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Yehudis Basya posted:

Guanciale makes the meanest carbonara (and amatriciana, but that one's a given). It's like pancetta, but made out of pork jowls instead of the belly. Much stronger and richer flavor, but it's only well known to people from central Italy.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Hed posted:

He's leaving the winglet on to do airline breasts. The whole show was really about grilling so shifting the winglet to be on the breast rather than attached to the drumette allows the tiny wing to be cooked more evenly with his method.

Also you're absolutely right about the chicken bones, I'll try it and thanks for your paring trick too.

I get that he's doing airline breasts, I just posit that airline breasts are for chumps who don't get hot wings. But that's the beauty of the whole mess, I do what I want and he does what he wants and you do whatever you want (as long as you don't bother with airline breasts).

*Commando_Elite*
Jan 19, 2001
I'm looking at getting a new stove and was considering either an Electrolux Induction range or a gas range. I've never used an induction range but they seem pretty nice. Any reason not to get one over a gas range?

I don't have any real nice cookware that wouldn't be compatible with the induction range, so that isn't an issue. I have a grill I can use outdoors to do anything that would necessitate that. It just seems like a much smarter choice. Is there a danger of things breaking and it costing a lot more to fix compared to a gas range? Anyone have any experience?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It's very, very fast... which may take some getting used to if you're coming from a gas range. They're great if you want a very specific temperature.

The down sides are that if you have curved pots/pans, they won't be as effective. Everything has to have a flat bottom since the induction effect tapers off pretty quickly.

I was thinking about getting one back when I moved, but decided to stick with gas.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
Would a caramelised onion chutney work well with brie, or should I stick to pairing it with slices of fruit?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Grushenka posted:

Would a caramelised onion chutney work well with brie, or should I stick to pairing it with slices of fruit?

That sounds great. If you have leftovers (hah unlikely) you could make caramelized onion and brie pizza.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
...I may have to ensure that there are leftovers. Or I'll buy more brie, since that sounds amazing!

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

Foie gras, octopus (the full size ones, not the babbys), oxtail (though not so difficult to find anymore), sweetbreads (preferably veal), beef tendon, beef heart, pork ears, chicken feet, pork trotter.
I was surprised to see oxtail at Kroger was so expensive, like 6-7 a pound

Vakal
May 11, 2008
My local Chinese restaurant makes a great broccoli (and other vegetables) stir fry dish that I've been trying to replicate with little success.

If I just try pan saute the broccoli in a little oil, it goes bitter by the time it gets tender enough. And if I give the pieces a quick boil or steam first, then they fall apart in the pan.

Does anyone know if there's a trick in order to get the broccoli florets that nice combination of tender and firm?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Probably putting them into ice water after the boil (which should be very brief) before they go into the wok/pan. This stops the cooking process and gives you more time to get some aromas from the stir frying before the broccoli goes mushy.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I've heard of two schools of thought on the broccoli stir-fry prep:

1) Barely pre-cook the broccoli--30 sec in boiling water or microwave*, then add to stir-fry and cook until you like the texture

2) Cook the broccoli more--1.5-2 min in boiling water or 1 min in microwave*--then add to stir-fry at the very end of cooking

* Doesn't work quite as well as boiling water, but it's quicker and easier cleanup: put broccoli florets in a bowl, sprinkle with water (or just leave the water on from the washing) and give it a quick nuke in the microwave. Err on the side of less time rather than more, because you can quickly go from crisp, green broccoli to grungy brown compost.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Zira posted:

Aw, drat it.

I have a dozen bottles of (unopened) cheap hard liquor and most of them have condensation. Not conclusive, but keep in mind that 80 proof vodka is 60% water in the first place.

Whether or not you get condensation is usually a question of storage; if the storage temp varies more than a couple of degrees (like an air-conditioned kitchen in the summer), the bottle will get condensation on the inside, no matter how expensive it is.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Any suggestions for using a ton of sage? My sage plants are going crazy again this year. They have lovely purple blossoms right now, too, but sadly those don't taste like anything.

I also have a veritable forest of Greek oregano, but I already use fresh oregano in lots of things. I need to step it up a bit, though - it's starting to creep into where the parsley is, and I don't want it to crowd anything out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

Any suggestions for using a ton of sage? My sage plants are going crazy again this year. They have lovely purple blossoms right now, too, but sadly those don't taste like anything.

Fry the leaves whole and put them on a pizza bianca.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Re: broccoli stir fry
I do my meat, set aside, add broccoli, add like a teaspoon of water, and cover for just a little bit to steam them a touch. When they get all bright and lovely, remove the lid and continue. I admit, it's not foolproof and requires a little attention and familiarity with stir-frys, but I'm lazy and it works for me.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
If you want the texture like you'd get at a Chinese fast food restaurant, a lot of times they're passed through hot oil either in a deep fryer or a wok of oil first.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Yehudis Basya posted:

I tried pork tongue recently and I've become a big fan. It's a lot like beef tongue but a bit milder, and much easier to work with. An Asian grocer large enough to have a butcher inside would be your best bet for finding them.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Charmmi posted:

If you want the texture like you'd get at a Chinese fast food restaurant, a lot of times they're passed through hot oil either in a deep fryer or a wok of oil first.
A place I worked out keeps small boilers (think a tiny deep-fryer filled with water) for vegetables by each wok station. You'd take the portioned vegetables and boil them in a little basket for thirty seconds or so while you were doing the meat.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Yehudis Basya posted:

- goat NOTHING how has that happened????

Goat is awesome. Go to your local middle eastern butcher and buy some goat and make a curry, you won't regret it.

On that note I've started buying meat at a local halal butcher and it's so cheap. It costs literally half as much as buying the same meat from the main meat / fruit / vegatable market in my city. The only downside is they don't sell pork (obviously) but when I can buy lamb for $6 a kilo instead of $16 a kilo I can't complain too much.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's a good thing to do with a fair amount of breadcrumb?

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
How big are the crumbs? If they're large dice, Bittman's crouton recipe has made me a happy glutton a couple of times before.

Smaller crumb, mix them into a homestyle meatloaf, feed them to pigeons in the park, mix them with a little dry mustard and dredge chicken thighs in them before panfrying...

Or some kind of spotted dick but to each their own.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I'm not a big vegetable eater but I have some veggies that need to be eaten. I prefer to not eat them raw.

3 onions
3 carrots
1 cucumber
large bunch of spinach
medium bunch green onions
1 small piece of ginger root
1 celery stick

Here are my ideas so far:
Egg Drop Soup which would use the green onions and ginger root, but I would probably have some of both leftover.

Chicken soup - I don't have a recipe, but I'm pretty sure I could use one onion, the carrots, and the celery. Could I add the cucumber?
-I was also thinking something like chicken and dumplings, but could I have the chicken and veggies in the dumplings? Is that called something?

Chicken and spinach ravioli - I would use another onion and some/most(?) of the spinach. But I only have chicken breasts - would that work instead of ground chicken? Also, it calls for Asagio cheese - I have grated Parmesan.

I'm open to suggestions! We do have a slow cooker.

edit: we have 11 apples, various varieties. I could use some recipe suggestions because I doubt we'll eat that many before they go bad. I was thinking of applesauce but I don't think my husband would eat it.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Spinach can also go in delicious chicken soup, along with ginger and green onion. Just chop up the spinach and green onion and throw it in towards the end so it's not overcooked. The ginger can be cut into matchsticks and added at the beginning, gives it a little bite.

Slice up the cucumber, eat with salt, yum.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
Do we have a knife thread? I might be blind and couldn't find it.

Anyway, the wife was kind enough to get me a global knife for our anniversary and I see that they supposedly can't be sharpened with regular steel. Is that true? Do I need to get one of the special sharpeners for it?

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
You could also cut the chicken breasts in half and stuff them with cheese and spinach. Spinach is great wilted in olive oil and garlic.

I bought fiddleheads the other day, but I've never had them before. How should I cook them? Saute in garlic and olive oil? Bacon? Lemon juice? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I guess the "Is this going to kill me if I eat it" thread is gone? Is it good to eat cooked broccoli that got left out over night? I tried googling and got answers like "Brocolli is barely good when it is freshly cooked. Of course you cannot leave it out overnight." :geno:

eta: I dont think its going to kill me, I just dont know if its a good idea. Waste not, want not and all.