Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Chandragupta posted:

I wonder if she will come to regret mentioning that she never read the dissertations. That fact alone makes the piece brainless and mean spirited, something which should be no where near what appears to be an academia focused publication. I would hope that conservatives would take note of her methods before they rush to publish her columns.

If anything, I think that was intentional. People who want to cater to an audience that is already predisposed to distrust academics don't worry so much about the details, just about the "cachet" that being fired from an academic related post entail.

A few years ago David Horowitz got some play in local news and a lot of attention in certain conservative circles on being "banned" from Emory. The "banning" actually referred to a decision by the student government not to use student fees to pay for a second visit by him within a year (the same year they had paid for Jonah Goldberg, Ben Stein, Malkin and, of course, the first Horowitz visit). Did these "details" matter? Of course not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Kro-Bar posted:

So that racist NY Post columnist played the "black people are the real racists!" card

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/05/phil_mushnick_o_1.php

edit: this is basically exactly what I pictured this douchebag looking like in my head. I bet he always has that smarmy expression on his face.

Isn't Jay-Z a fabulously wealthy entrepreneur who has numerous business interests beyond being a hip hop star, from his own clothing line to his own premium vodka distributor to his own chain of sports bars and lounges?

Why is it that Jay-Z doesn't receive the same respect afforded to other entrepreneurs from conservatives?

joepinetree posted:

If anything, I think that was intentional. People who want to cater to an audience that is already predisposed to distrust academics don't worry so much about the details, just about the "cachet" that being fired from an academic related post entail.

A few years ago David Horowitz got some play in local news and a lot of attention in certain conservative circles on being "banned" from Emory. The "banning" actually referred to a decision by the student government not to use student fees to pay for a second visit by him within a year (the same year they had paid for Jonah Goldberg, Ben Stein, Malkin and, of course, the first Horowitz visit). Did these "details" matter? Of course not.

That's because conservatives interpret not bending over backwards to cater to their whims as being "bans," "attacks," etc.

Just look at the whole school prayer issue. All students in every level of American public schools have the right to pray as long as they are not being disruptive (e.g. not praying in class when they are supposed to be listening or doing their work), but conservatives interpret this as a ban on prayer in public schools because administrators and teachers are not endorsing Christianity and not leading students in prayer.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kro-Bar posted:

So that racist NY Post columnist played the "black people are the real racists!" card

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/05/phil_mushnick_o_1.php

edit: this is basically exactly what I pictured this douchebag looking like in my head. I bet he always has that smarmy expression on his face.

I should also get this out of the way. Someone actually called Mushnick on his bullshit publicly 15 years ago. It involves the WWE/WWF as a warning and is kind of hyperbolic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPCnl0sXcKM

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Mushnick has some kind of weird hate-on for Jay-Z apparently. I don't know what spawned it but I've seen it mentioned a few times. I try not to read his schlock.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

leokitty posted:

Mushnick has some kind of weird hate-on for Jay-Z apparently. I don't know what spawned it but I've seen it mentioned a few times. I try not to read his schlock.

I get the impression it's much more of a general racism from Mushnick, as that poo poo about "self-enslaving" is a pretty common dogwhistle among conservative racists.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

leokitty posted:

A black man is successful and generally an awesome dude? MUSHNICK IS ON IT! Someone has to tell you that in fact he's terrible because of reasons.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Bruce Leroy posted:

I get the impression it's much more of a general racism from Mushnick, as that poo poo about "self-enslaving" is a pretty common dogwhistle among conservative racists.

Mushnick is pretty particular in the hatred he spews in his columns and Jay-Z is one of the guys that is on his list. One of the reasons I stopped reading him even for laughs is that it's essentially the same column about the same people over and over in huge chunks.

e: I mean this is the guy who has been calling the YES Network Al-Yankzeera for YEARS. He's a Lupica style character (Lupica is now allowed to write about politics too which is as terrible as you can imagine).

e2: Just to be clear I do think Mushnick is a racist piece of poo poo but the Jay-Z stuff is about more than that with him

leokitty fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 9, 2012

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
As predicted, the firing of Naomi Schaefer Riley has become the latest topic in conservative victimization. Even Andrew Sullivan is on it. That she mocked 3 students without reading her work and then defended herself by saying it is not her job to read the work on an academic blog is nowhere mentioned.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

joepinetree posted:

As predicted, the firing of Naomi Schaefer Riley has become the latest topic in conservative victimization. Even Andrew Sullivan is on it. That she mocked 3 students without reading her work and then defended herself by saying it is not her job to read the work on an academic blog is nowhere mentioned.
Of course not. But that's not what's important. It's the fact that she was fired for criticizing black studies* that is important!

* by "criticize black studies" I mean "poo poo on dissertation titles"

It frankly makes me want to title my dissertation something that could raise hackles. "The Impossibility of Conservatism" has potential, if I could make it make sense in the context of the metaphysics of modality...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

He was never nominated for a Pulitzer

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

He was never nominated for a Pulitzer

For what?

Seriously. His Liberal Fascism book was a loving joke.

"Did you know Hitler was a vegetarian?" "Did you know Hitler thought educating youth was important?"

What the gently caress could he have written that warrants either the Pulitzer or the Atlantic even mentioning him.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

colonelslime posted:

For what?

Seriously. His Liberal Fascism book was a loving joke.

"Did you know Hitler was a vegetarian?" "Did you know Hitler thought educating youth was important?"

What the gently caress could he have written that warrants either the Pulitzer or the Atlantic even mentioning him.

Is that seriously his argument in "Liberal Fascism?" Certain fascist leaders did some things that liberals like so they too must be fascists? What kind of retarded logic is that?

Does he even define "fascism" correctly or is it just the colloquial definition of "all the poo poo done by people I disagree with?"

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh yeah! My dad owns that book, and he wholeheartedly believes that liberals ARE fascists by another name. :smith:

E: Wiki says that fascism is the fraternal twin to modern liberalism through their mother, :siren:PROGRESSIVISM.:siren:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 10, 2012

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

Oh yeah! My dad owns that book, and he wholeheartedly believes that liberals ARE fascists by another name. :smith:

E: Wiki says that fascism is the fraternal twin to modern liberalism through their mother, :siren:PROGRESSIVISM.:siren:

Right. Both Liberalism and Fascism want to change society (:stonk:) towards what they consider better. This makes them the same in every respect. You can tell because Hitler may have done some things vaguely associated with liberalism at some point.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Pulitzers are like the Nobels in that anybody can nominate anybody for a small fee. Being "nominated for a Pulitzer prize" is the self-published book of Dragon Ball Z fanfiction in the Kindle Store of awards.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
From my (close to hometown) rag, the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Marriage is a sacred vow between man and woman
This week President Obama said, ” Let gays marry.” Having arrived at this position after many years of “evolved” thinking, this watershed moment in American social and political history deserves a few words. Marriage, the sacred contract between one man and one woman, has been the foundational unit of cultures around the world, now for thousands of years. It’s said positions on gay “marriage” are generational, with those of a certain age against, those for it younger. Yet no amount of wanting can actually “change” marriage. So for those of you who embrace the idea that it can be something else, be forewarned. Next the discussion will be about “marriage” between a man and two women, or perhaps “marriage” between a woman and three men. Impossible, absurd you say? So it was forty years ago about something called ” gay” marriage. Certainly you, with your enlightened, progressive ways cannot be against such things.

H. Lee Lapole

Loveland

---

I could literally post 90% of the letters they print on a daily basis, but this one just made me smack my forehead a little harder than the usual anti-Obama hand-wringing. As we all know, the idea of polygamy has always been thought of as impossible, and it has never, ever occurred anywhere, especially not in the United States of America. Every liberal out there wants polygamy to make a comeback. FACT. I'm just surprised this guy didn't throw out the old, "What's next, marrying my dog!?" line.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Koons posted:

This week President Obama said, ” Let gays marry.” Having arrived at this position after many years of “evolved” thinking, this watershed moment in American social and political history deserves a few words. Marriage, the sacred contract between one man and one woman, has been the foundational unit of cultures around the world, now for thousands of years. It’s said positions on gay “marriage” are generational, with those of a certain age against, those for it younger. Yet no amount of wanting can actually “change” marriage. So for those of you who embrace the idea that it can be something else, be forewarned. Next the discussion will be about “marriage” between a man and two women, or perhaps “marriage” between a woman and three men. Impossible, absurd you say? So it was forty years ago about something called ” gay” marriage. Certainly you, with your enlightened, progressive ways cannot be against such things.

H. Lee Lapole

Loveland

---

I could literally post 90% of the letters they print on a daily basis, but this one just made me smack my forehead a little harder than the usual anti-Obama hand-wringing. As we all know, the idea of polygamy has always been thought of as impossible, and it has never, ever occurred anywhere, especially not in the United States of America. Every liberal out there wants polygamy to make a comeback. FACT. I'm just surprised this guy didn't throw out the old, "What's next, marrying my dog!?" line.
I work in Milford and live in Bethel, and this doesn't surprise me at all. I was out at lunch yesterday and overheard some guy loudly complaining that Obama wants to take all his money and give it to lazy people who didn't earn it. Most people here can't think further than the latest right-wing talking points.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Koons posted:

H. Lee Lapole

Loveland

---

I'm totally down with polygamy between consenting adults if that's what they want. If you want to reply you could go along these lines:

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Sizzler Manager posted:

I work in Milford and live in Bethel, and this doesn't surprise me at all. I was out at lunch yesterday and overheard some guy loudly complaining that Obama wants to take all his money and give it to lazy people who didn't earn it. Most people here can't think further than the latest right-wing talking points.

Me and the old lady constantly talk about moving somewhere that has a vastly different mindset. We are both not religious (HEATHENS!) and feel like we are living in an area that is basically overrun with very, very religious and ultra-conservative folks. It just seems to run the policy of everything and in her line of work, as a teacher, she can see that mindset is also the norm among her students, which we construe as a complete lack of hope for the future here. I'm actually south of the river over in NKY, so I'm assuming it might be worse here, but I do believe that anywhere within a 200 (probably bigger than that) mile radius is probably the same. Oh, yeah, not to mention lots of racism, both blatant and veiled. I'm sure you can find this in every part of the country in certain areas, but drat, it just feels like a majority of the people around here are horrified by any sort of cultural progress.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I had been surprised by the lack of reaction in my very southern section of the world, but someone linked to this on Facebook (and not to poke fun at it) and we have a lovely cornucopia of misinformation and DURN LIBERALS.

quote:

President Obama will live in infamy.

On Wednesday, he used the bully pulpit of the presidency to declare his support for gay marriage. With a smile, he flipped off the God he professes to follow and thumbed his nose at our Christian forefathers who sacrificed their lives to establish the country over which he presides.

He has made a mockery of our God-fearing presidents like Washington, Jefferson, Madison and Lincoln, who agreed with President John Adams that our Constitution “is meant for a wholly and religious people and is inadequate to govern any other.”

By perverting God’s institution of marriage, President Obama pounded the final nail in the coffin of our forefathers’ American dream to function as “one nation under God.”

Mr. Obama follows in the long line of secular progressives, who have methodically executed their century-long assault on God, attempting to remove Him as the author of America’s moral code and “unalienable rights.”

Our president and his fellow progressives have plotted to transform America into “one nation under man,” choosing government over God as their provider, man’s knowledge and science over God’s wisdom, and the pursuit of comfort over character.

They have abandoned America’s pledge to seek “justice for all” and replaced it with the childish notion of “fairness for all.” What grown-up believes that life is fair?

One of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and former president of Princeton University, John Witherspoon said it best: “Whoever is an avowed enemy of God, I scruple not, to call him an enemy of his country.” President Obama is just such an enemy.

DAVID J. DELNOSTRO, M.D.

Pooler

Yeah. What grown-up believes that life is fair?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

But Obama is BREAKING THE RULES THAT I BELIEVE AND THAT'S NOT FAIR! HE SHOULD HAVE TO FOLLOW MY RULES AND BE PUNISHED!

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I had been surprised by the lack of reaction in my very southern section of the world, but someone linked to this on Facebook (and not to poke fun at it) and we have a lovely cornucopia of misinformation and DURN LIBERALS.

Wow, absolutely no irony in championing anti-gay discrimination as "justice for all."

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

choosing government over God as their provider

How dare those poor people depend on the government for money. They should just pray for it, like (presumably) all the rich people did! That always works, God always answers prayers. Just ask Rick Perry about the droughts in Texas. HE didn't/doesn't need any fancy government "water use planning" when he knows he can pray to the Big G in the sky to turn on the tap!

Oh, wait...

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
If god doesnt like what we are doing then why doesn't he punish or destroy us old testament style? In conclusion, gently caress god.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
If God likes banning gay marriage and invading Muslim counties why did the stock market crash hard in 07/08?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Branis posted:

If god doesnt like what we are doing then why doesn't he punish or destroy us old testament style? In conclusion, gently caress god.
uhm perhaps you've heard of AIDS? :smug:

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

x86 posted:

uhm perhaps you've heard of AIDS? :smug:

Ah, but why do lesbians have lower rates of HIV and AIDS than heterosexual men and women? They're homosexuals, too, so shouldn't they be getting "punished" with HIV/AIDS more than godly heterosexuals?

Conclusion: God thinks lesbians are hot.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Nowadays every time I see someone ranting about gay agendas and homosexuality being somehow a crime against humanity I can only see this:

Keep fighting the persecution of having to treat other people as human beings regardless of their sexual orientation you troglodyte pricks.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

Nowadays every time I see someone ranting about gay agendas and homosexuality being somehow a crime against humanity I can only see this:

Keep fighting the persecution of having to treat other people as human beings regardless of their sexual orientation you troglodyte pricks.

I hate when these homophobes are all "I don't hate gay people, I just want to protect traditional marriage." They are so full of poo poo, but at least it makes for hilarious responses where all I have to do is like to pictures or text of white racists saying nearly identical things about black people, Jim Crowe, and anti-miscegenation laws.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

quote:

Like father like son?
Israeli Psychologist Dr. Sam Vaknin comforts me in that I'm not alone in my worries about the mental health of "el duce" Barack Hussein Obama II.

Obama's obsessive revisionist attempt to raise capital gains taxes under any guise he can, is only his way of compensating for almost being laughed off the stage when he suggest the same thing in a debate with Hillary Clinton. Then there was the big lie about how he was against Mandatory Health Insurance to win the primary! All one has to do is search Sam Vaknin on Youtube.Com and hear him talk about Obama's alarming Narcissistic behavior, and then go to SNOPES.COM (sponsored by GEORGE SOROS) and see how Snopes claims Sam is not saying what he is saying on Youtube!

Obama's parents hated America. His father was jailed for trying to overthrow another Government. Look at Obama's record! Everything he has done has been to weaken us, economically, militarily, energy-wise, Industrial-wise and spiritually! What don't his supporters comprehend? We can't survive another 4 years of this!

Joseph DuPont
Towanda, Pennsylvania

So I looked up Sam Vaknin on youtube and got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUp7qdej8g

Wherein the guy claims that Obama thinks that his dreams affect reality. Because he's a sorcerer or something I guess. Also the top comment:

quote:

Obama is an underachiever becasue he is a CIA noname guinea pig who served in Iraq when we was supposedly in university. He is not american. He is inperturbable because he knows he doesn't really have to be good or have substance because the political machine around him is so huge that it takes care of everything he does, including what he says. They hire him because he has no empathy. He can appeal to the needs of secret government, and lead voters into supporting. Then he fucks them sideways.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Some condescending bullshit, courtesy of the Wall Street Journal.

quote:

To the Class of 2012 by Bret Stephens
Attention graduates: Tone down your egos, shape up your minds.

Dear Class of 2012:

Allow me to be the first one not to congratulate you. Through exertions that—let's be honest—were probably less than heroic, most of you have spent the last few years getting inflated grades in useless subjects in order to obtain a debased degree. Now you're entering a lousy economy, courtesy of the very president whom you, as freshmen, voted for with such enthusiasm. Please spare us the self-pity about how tough it is to look for a job while living with your parents. They're the ones who spent a fortune on your education only to get you back— return-to-sender, forwarding address unknown.

No doubt some of you have overcome real hardships or taken real degrees. A couple of years ago I hired a summer intern from West Point. She came to the office directly from weeks of field exercises in which she kept a bulletproof vest on at all times, even while sleeping. She writes brilliantly and is as self-effacing as she is accomplished. Now she's in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban.

If you're like that intern, please feel free to feel sorry for yourself. Just remember she doesn't.

Unfortunately, dear graduates, chances are you're nothing like her. And since you're no longer children, at least officially, it's time someone tells you the facts of life. The other facts.

Fact One is that, in our "knowledge-based" economy, knowledge counts. Yet here you are, probably the least knowledgeable graduating class in history.

A few months ago, I interviewed a young man with an astonishingly high GPA from an Ivy League university and aspirations to write about Middle East politics. We got on the subject of the Suez Crisis of 1956. He was vaguely familiar with it. But he didn't know who was president of the United States in 1956. And he didn't know who succeeded that president.

Pop quiz, Class of '12: Do you?

Many of you have been reared on the cliché that the purpose of education isn't to stuff your head with facts but to teach you how to think. Wrong. I routinely interview college students, mostly from top schools, and I notice that their brains are like old maps, with lots of blank spaces for the uncharted terrain. It's not that they lack for motivation or IQ. It's that they can't connect the dots when they don't know where the dots are in the first place.

Now to Fact Two: Your competition is global. Shape up. Don't end your days like a man I met a few weeks ago in Florida, complaining that Richard Nixon had caused his New York City business to fail by opening up China.

In places like Ireland, France, India and Spain, your most talented and ambitious peers are graduating into economies even more depressed than America's. Unlike you, they probably speak several languages. They may also have a degree in a hard science or engineering—skills that transfer easily to the more remunerative jobs in investment banks or global consultancies.

I know a lot of people like this from my neighborhood in New York City, and it's a good thing they're so well-mannered because otherwise they'd be eating our lunch. But if things continue as they are, they might soon be eating yours.

Which reminds me of Fact Three: Your prospective employers can smell BS from miles away. And most of you don't even know how badly you stink.

When did puffery become the American way? Probably around the time Norman Mailer came out with "Advertisements for Myself." But at least that was in the service of provoking an establishment that liked to cultivate an ideal of emotional restraint and public reserve.

To read through your CVs, dear graduates, is to be assaulted by endless Advertisements for Myself. Here you are, 21 or 22 years old, claiming to have accomplished feats in past summer internships or at your school newspaper that would be hard to credit in a biography of Walter Lippmann or Ernie Pyle.

If you're not too bright, you may think this kind of nonsense goes undetected; if you're a little brighter, you probably figure everyone does it so you must as well.

But the best of you don't do this kind of thing at all. You have an innate sense of modesty. You're confident that your résumé needs no embellishment. You understand that less is more.

In other words, you're probably capable of thinking for yourself. And here's Fact Four: There will always be a market for people who can do that.

In every generation there's a strong tendency for everyone to think like everyone else. But your generation has an especially bad case, because your mass conformism is masked by the appearance of mass nonconformism. It's a point I learned from my West Point intern, when I asked her what it was like to lead such a uniformed existence.

Her answer stayed with me: Wearing a uniform, she said, helped her figure out what it was that really distinguished her as an individual.

Now she's a second lieutenant, leading a life of meaning and honor, figuring out how to Think Different for the sake of a cause that counts. Not many of you will be able to follow in her precise footsteps, nor do you need to do so. But if you can just manage to tone down your egos, shape up your minds, and think unfashionable thoughts, you just might be able to do something worthy with your lives. And even get a job. Good luck!

This was posted on another forum I hang out at and got some good responses:

quote:

"Oh, you don't know who the president was in 1956? You must be a total moron and wasting your life. You don't matter to anyone. gently caress you."

quote:

The thing about youth is that every single characteristic of a new generation can be laid at the feet of the old generation. Every single negative thing you have to say about these lazy, uneducated, self-entitled kids is undeniably the responsibility of you and your generation.

You raised them. You taught them right from wrong. You taught them in school. You set the educational policies and curricula that their mental state is a product of.

If you have a problem with how the current generation turned out, then look in the mirror dipshit. If a car come off the assembly line looking more like a bicycle, you don't start screaming at it and bitching about the choices it made along the way, you fire the moron that built the factory.

quote:

I had to stop reading at this point:

durrrr posted:

Now you're entering a lousy economy, courtesy of the very president whom you, as freshmen, voted for with such enthusiasm.

This guy would blame students for 9/11 if he could figure out a way to do it.

quote:

To top it off, the dude is only like 40 and is all up in "KIDS THESE DAYS SURE ARE STOOPID"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Now now, we all know how hard Generation X worked to put this country together. They really know how to buckle down and get things done by the sweat of their brow and their blind faith in meritocracy and the free market.

Generational thinking is so dumb it's no surprise that it was invented by baby boomers. loving assholes.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Nick_326 posted:

Some condescending bullshit, courtesy of the Wall Street Journal.

This was posted on another forum I hang out at and got some good responses:

This guy would blame students for 9/11 if he could figure out a way to do it.
[/quote]

Those responses are quite heartening.

The guy who wrote that article is so stupid that he really can't see the irony in him calling other people dumb while he's busy generalizing to literally tens of millions of people based on a few interviews he's had with people of that generation. "Well, I met some retard from an Ivy that didn't know Eisenhower was president in 1956 or that Kennedy was president after him, so that must mean 'kids' these days are loving morons." Did they not teach about logical fallacies and that anecdotes are functionally worthless and not science at whatever school(s) he attended?

I always knew the Wall Street Journal was lovely, but was it always this bad or has it taken a nosedive since Murdock bought it?

Bruce Leroy fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 14, 2012

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

...and they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train

Bruce Leroy posted:

Those responses are quite heartening.

The guy who wrote that article is so stupid that he really can't see the irony in him calling other people dumb while he's busy generalizing to literally tens of millions of people based on a few interviews he's had with people of that generation. "Well, I met some retard from an Ivy that didn't know Eisenhower was president in 1956 or that Kennedy was president after him, so that must mean 'kids' these days are loving morons." Did they not teach about logical fallacies and that anecdotes are functionally worthless and not science at whatever school(s) he attended?

I always knew the Wall Street Journal was lovely, but was it always this bad or has it taken a nosedive since Murdock bought it?
[/quote]

That depends.
The editorial page, though, is consistenly awful.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Nick_326 posted:

Wall Street Journal :words:

Any time I read an editorial or comment insulting liberal arts majors, while simultaneously praising STEM majors, while endowing STEM majors with skills they don't necessarily have, I always think the person is projecting outward their own insecurities about their own intelligence. Or they're just blatant idiots.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

constantIllusion posted:

Any time I read an editorial or comment insulting liberal arts majors, while simultaneously praising STEM majors, while endowing STEM majors with skills they don't necessarily have, I always think the person is projecting outward their own insecurities about their own intelligence. Or they're just blatant idiots.

I'd have probably hated that too, except that I was too busy frothing at the mouth over yet another case of military hero worship.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

constantIllusion posted:

Not only that, but he's praising STEM majors because they can transfer their skills into consulting and investment banking.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

constantIllusion posted:

The best part is that it shows that they don't actually know what liberal arts means. Science and math are unambiguously liberal arts, as well as most technology fields. Engineering is the only part of "STEM" that isn't liberal arts.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

Bruce Leroy posted:

Does he even define "fascism" correctly or is it just the colloquial definition of "all the poo poo done by people I disagree with?"

To be fair he's probably using the definition of liberal invented by The New Republic so I don't think he's too concerned with using proper definitions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I just wanna post the link to the comments on an article from the argus leader in sioux falls South Dakota http://www.argusleader.com/comments/article/20120513/NEWS/305120036/Noem-Jobs-trickle-proves-Obama-failing
its loving mind blowing that the comments are so anti noem and probama in this godawful red shithole.

• Locked thread