Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

I've tethered a lot but it's almost entirely been tethering my android tablet to an Android phone.
It's possible to detect on the basis of TTL from adding an additional hop to the connection, unless you're taking steps to hide that. That doesn't mean that AT&T is actively using that characteristic in their monitoring. Or that they care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Something's been driving me crazy lately.

I just installed the MeanROM for the Evo3D yesterday, before that I was running a MynROM for several days before (I think installed the night RLS2 was out).

I've tried Chomp, Handcent, Go SMS Pro, and I think one other one. In each, I can never get the contact pictures to display. I've gone into the various settings for each to make sure they were enabled, and even compared the settings to a similar thread I found while searching (their issue just being it wasn't enabled).

I've got it setup to sync gmail contacts, and they display in the stock messaging app. I don't care too much about the Facebook picture sync, as long as anything was shown. I also have a lot of my contacts with images from contacts.google.com, so it's not the lack of facebook syncing that's doing it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LastInLine posted:

Are you beginning to see why you don't buy phones made by a company no one's ever heard of?

Yeah in a way. I got everything to work now. Got my ROM flashed and everything is a-ok :D

But yeah next phone upgrade is going to be researched and checked out and not done in a spur of the moment fashion.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SaucyLoggins posted:

Does the stock ICS browser/webkit choke up, ie laggy scrolling on all ics phones, or is it because my Bionic doesn't have functioning HW Accel on ICS roms yet?

I noticed the GB browser can be slow on certain sites as well.

Haven't had any lag or anything on the stock browser on my Galaxy Nexus really. Pretty darn smooth overall.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Haven't had any lag or anything on the stock browser on my Galaxy Nexus really. Pretty darn smooth overall.

Why haven't you switched over to Chrome for Android?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

deadwing posted:

No flash and it's really buggy when you have a redirect that opens in another program.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Edit: Are you beginning to see why you don't buy phones made by a company no one's ever heard of?
Pffb. I'm sure everyone's heard of Foxconn.

lemmiwinks
Apr 28, 2003
Since att one x now has a root option available, would it be possible to force 3g to save on battery life? If so how do you go about it?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I've had my GSM Galaxy Nexus for months and finally am getting around to rooting it.

What's the current best ROM/Kernel/Radio out? I'm looking for long battery life and minimal bugs. Added functionality is great (call recording, etc) but not critical. Just don't want a janky ROM/Kernel.

Also, is it recommended to NOT use Google Wallet if you're rooted? I'd imagine there is a security risk of some sort...

Thanks.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

No flash and it's really buggy when you have a redirect that opens in another program.

Yeah the redirect thing led me to uninstall Chrome. So slow.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

hotsauce posted:

I've had my GSM Galaxy Nexus for months and finally am getting around to rooting it.

What's the current best ROM/Kernel/Radio out? I'm looking for long battery life and minimal bugs. Added functionality is great (call recording, etc) but not critical. Just don't want a janky ROM/Kernel.

Also, is it recommended to NOT use Google Wallet if you're rooted? I'd imagine there is a security risk of some sort...

Thanks.

I'm really happy with the latest Bugless Beast from peteralfonso.com. Very close to stock but has notification power controls and a few other things. I flashed it with the latest radio from the may 1st 4.0.4 leak.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Whats the most dependable ICS rom for the htc inspire 4g right now? I wonder if there will be cyanogen support for it? They have released it for a ton of other devices already.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

deadwing posted:

Chrome also requires HW acceleration to work, which is a no go on ICS roms on my phone at the moment.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
What's the best ICS rom out now for the EVO 3D? Myn? Clean? Mean?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

madkapitolist posted:

Whats the most dependable ICS rom for the htc inspire 4g right now? I wonder if there will be cyanogen support for it? They have released it for a ton of other devices already.

I've been using miui.us for about 2 weeks now, really liking it. It's not quite at 100% yet but no major bugs either. The only thing listed as not working in the thread is the video camera, but apparently you can get one from the market to replace it.

As for my own issues, right now the only things really bugging me are 1) notification LED doesn't work quite right and 2) can't sort icons. Both of those should be remedied eventually, and the upgrade from Gingerbread is well worth it. Check it out!

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
CM9 is progressing really well on the Mytouch 4G Slide, which is good to see, as it's still the most capable keyboard'ed phone Tmo sells. It seems to have a couple of game-killing bugs (battery drain), but it's good to see it's under active development. My wife has one and I'll flash it once a few of the annoyances are hammered out.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=25862806

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I can't believe there isn't a stable CM9 for the unlocked Galaxy Nexus. I was sure when I just rooted my phone that I would just go install it. Oh well, at least I have titanium backup again.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Jewce posted:

I can't believe there isn't a stable CM9 for the unlocked Galaxy Nexus. I was sure when I just rooted my phone that I would just go install it. Oh well, at least I have titanium backup again.

There isn't a stable CM9 for anything yet. Due to a bunch of factors (including ICS being a MAJOR upgrade over GB), progress on CM9 has been somewhat slower than progress on CM7.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jewce posted:

Just use the nightlies as they are perfectly fine. The device codename for the GSM Galaxy Nexus is "maguro".

http://get.cm/?device=maguro

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nimper posted:

Just use the nightlies as they are perfectly fine. The device codename for the GSM Galaxy Nexus is "maguro".

http://get.cm/?device=maguro
I tried them last week. They were fine (aside from excessive battery drain on wifi, data connection dropouts on wifi, no notifications on wifi, signal loss requiring a restart, and occasional random reboots) and definitely daily driver material.

For some reason I ended up back on stock though.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

There isn't a stable CM9 for anything yet. Due to a bunch of factors (including ICS being a MAJOR upgrade over GB), progress on CM9 has been somewhat slower than progress on CM7.

Ohhh, that makes much more sense. I should have checked around in the other devices. That thought did cross my mind, but I figured that CM9 has been out for so long that it must have been done.

LastInLine posted:

I tried them last week. They were fine (aside from excessive battery drain on wifi, data connection dropouts on wifi, no notifications on wifi, signal loss requiring a restart, and occasional random reboots) and definitely daily driver material.

For some reason I ended up back on stock though.

lol, okay then, I'll try MIUI if I'm really itching for a new rom. For now I'll just be glad I got Titanium backup again.

nimper, is your experience similar? I use wifi near constantly so I'm not even going to entertain the idea.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Holy poo poo, Sensation is finally official on cm9. And without that jackass kmobs as the maintainer. It's like 2 pieces of good news in one.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jewce posted:

Ohhh, that makes much more sense. I should have checked around in the other devices. That thought did cross my mind, but I figured that CM9 has been out for so long that it must have been done.

lol, okay then, I'll try MIUI if I'm really itching for a new rom. For now I'll just be glad I got Titanium backup again.

nimper, is your experience similar? I use wifi near constantly so I'm not even going to entertain the idea.

I don't have a GNex, I was just speaking generally.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a rooted Transformer, and it keeps seeing an update from Asus, but it won't actually apply - it reboots, then after several seconds looking like it's applying the update, I just get the ! in a triangle sign. It will reboot fine, but then a few days later I get the notification for the update, which I can only postpone so many times. Is there a way I can have it ignore this update, or properly install it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I have a rooted Transformer, and it keeps seeing an update from Asus, but it won't actually apply - it reboots, then after several seconds looking like it's applying the update, I just get the ! in a triangle sign. It will reboot fine, but then a few days later I get the notification for the update, which I can only postpone so many times. Is there a way I can have it ignore this update, or properly install it?
There's a way to get rid of the update notifications that I found once and posted in one of the Android threads but I've tried to find it again in the past and have never done so. If you care to search my posts for it you're welcome to try, it was for a guy who was having trouble with the Gingerbread update on an Incredible. Obviously it'd either be this thread, the old phone thread, or the new phone thread I'd guess.

If you find it please link it here.
Found it, finally!

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 15, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Civil posted:

Holy poo poo, Sensation is finally official on cm9. And without that jackass kmobs as the maintainer. It's like 2 pieces of good news in one.

Well, gently caress me! Maybe I have a reason to hang on to mine now.

Have you tried it yet? Any comparisons to AOKP?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

Well, gently caress me! Maybe I have a reason to hang on to mine now.

Have you tried it yet? Any comparisons to AOKP?

I wanted to wait to see a bug list before I tried it. I frequently use bluetooth/a2dp, take pictures, and shoot video, all of which seem to be 'disposable' features, and not required for your standard 'daily driver', so I haven't been as willing to jump in on works in progress. So far, from the comments, it seems that 1080p video recording is broken, and I haven't seen any other issues. I don't know why it seems so difficult to post a list of bugs/issues, but that's the way it goes now.

I never did jump on open sensation because it had a few bugs I didn't want to deal with (call volume), and since they all seemed to be present in AOKP, I didn't bother with that, either. If they confirm that 1080p is really the only broken part of CM9, I'll give it a go this weekend, but since we're on the nightly cycle, who knows what will break from day to day.

If anything, this also means that AOKP (and MIUI) will see drastic improvements, since they all use the CM9 base...at least MIUI will soon, once they ditch the sense base. It's a good benchmark to hit.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

I was almost tempted to tell the gf about it and reroot the Sensation she's using but then I realized that it's bone stock and she hasn't complained about something not working in months.

:v:

Wertjoe
May 10, 2007

I tried reading this thread but I have no idea what anyone is even talking about. I recently rooted my Galaxy s2 and was wondering what the best tethering app is these days. I'm not sure if the one in the OP is still relevant. Also I saw some people talking about getting caught tethering, is there a way to prevent this? I have at&t if that helps anything. I'm pretty new to all of this stuff.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Wertjoe posted:

I tried reading this thread but I have no idea what anyone is even talking about. I recently rooted my Galaxy s2 and was wondering what the best tethering app is these days. I'm not sure if the one in the OP is still relevant. Also I saw some people talking about getting caught tethering, is there a way to prevent this? I have at&t if that helps anything. I'm pretty new to all of this stuff.

Att is pretty vigilant about catching tetherers and adding tethering to their account. Clockwork tether is your best bet, you'll need to sideload it since att has pulled it from their network's market.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
There's two guaranteed-to-work solutions to the tethering problem. Unfortunately I know of no app that makes it a one-click solution. In any event, they are:

1. An OpenVPN or ssh client that tunnels traffic, encrypted, to a proxy on your home computer or VPS or whatever.

2. Tor, via Orbot to tunnel traffic, encrypted, via HTTPS, through random machines on the Tor network.

The reason Tor is a viable option is because Tor goes to great lengths to obfuscate the very fact that you're using an encrypted traffic tunnel--it looks just like accessing an HTTPS site. They do this to get past Blue Coat and other censorship filters. The Chinese have been trying to block Tor for years, without blocking "too much" of the Internet as a whole, and have been unsuccessful. There's no way AT&T (or any other carrier) could pull it off either.

The problem with these solutions, particularly Tor which is almost turn-key, is that none of the existing tethering apps (that I'm aware of) make it easy to tether to one of the proxies, without accidentally leaking out unencrypted traffic. There's a good opportunity for an enterprising Android developer here. All of the other tethering apps that do TTL mumble are stop-gap solutions until AT&T (and others) catch up to those methods.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The problem with these solutions, particularly Tor which is almost turn-key, is that none of the existing tethering apps (that I'm aware of) make it easy to tether to one of the proxies, without accidentally leaking out unencrypted traffic.

My tethering solution (once in a while, I don't abuse, I avg < 2gb/mo on my unlimited) is thanks to help from you + some guys in the windows ?s thread. I've been using ssh tunneling for years so guys at work don't know what I'm doing, just needed a few more bits to hide activities from ATT.

On phone I use connectbot local session with "post login automation" to run busybox command line ssh to setup tunnels to my proxy and other things at home. (connectbot tunnels themselves don't allow connections from other hosts in lan but busybox ssh does with a normal -g switch)

And on the laptop, I set the wifi adapter with a static ip/snm matching the subnet the builtin CM7 wifi hotspot uses. (192.168.43.xx) but I leave the default gateway blank. This way no traffic can make it out of the laptop without going through one of my tunnels. I set my browser proxy to 192.168.43.1:yyyy and I can remote my windows machines by connecting to 192.168.43.1:xxxx

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 16, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

There's a way to get rid of the update notifications that I found once and posted in one of the Android threads but I've tried to find it again in the past and have never done so. If you care to search my posts for it you're welcome to try, it was for a guy who was having trouble with the Gingerbread update on an Incredible. Obviously it'd either be this thread, the old phone thread, or the new phone thread I'd guess.

If you find it please link it here.
Found it, finally!

Didn't end up working. I get the pop-up more often, even telling it to delay by a day.

Edit: although the update just fails before rebooting the tablet. I guess that's a little better.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Didn't end up working. I get the pop-up more often, even telling it to delay by a day.

Edit: although the update just fails before rebooting the tablet. I guess that's a little better.
:(

I'll admit to never having tried it, but it worked for the Incredible guy a year ago. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is anyone with a One X running a custom rom yet? Are there any roms that help with the bad multitasking?

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 16, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I just got the sprint galaxy nexus and I am mainly looking for root for tethering, titanium backup, etc.Anyone know if the phone has been rooted yet?

Edit: does this look correct:

http://androidforums.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/547218-how-root-sprint-galaxy-nexus-dummies-windows-mac-linux.html

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 16, 2012

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Duckman2008 posted:

I just got the sprint galaxy nexus and I am mainly looking for root for tethering, titanium backup, etc.Anyone know if the phone has been rooted yet?

This is the Rooted Android thread, not the "let me ask the goons instead of google" thread.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Is anyone here using a rooted Epic 4G? My mom has one (stock and unrooted at the moment), and it's having a couple weird issues so I was thinking about flashing it for her but I don't know which ROM to look at first. I was hoping to just drop CM7 on there and call it a day, but the RC1 in the name makes me weary (this is for someone who still can't remember how to check missed calls, so any potential bugs are headaches waiting to happen). Any advice?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I was hoping to just drop CM7 on there and call it a day, but the RC1 in the name makes me weary
To be honest, CM version numbers are almost meaningless, particularly across devices. A device can be fully supported 100%, yet it's still "CM 7.2 RC1" because that's the most recent version for the entire project. In contrast, a different device can have half-assed support and many broken features, despite being labeled stable.

CM7 on the Epic is pretty darn good. Whether it's better than stock for your mother's purposes probably depends on what her issues with it are. What kind of issues is she having?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Is anyone here using a rooted Epic 4G? My mom has one (stock and unrooted at the moment), and it's having a couple weird issues so I was thinking about flashing it for her but I don't know which ROM to look at first. I was hoping to just drop CM7 on there and call it a day, but the RC1 in the name makes me weary (this is for someone who still can't remember how to check missed calls, so any potential bugs are headaches waiting to happen). Any advice?

Since this is your mom, odds are she's not that technical. See if there's a stock-rooted debloated ROM available that's based on the latest OTA. That'll likely be the best bet to ensure stability in her phone.