Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

Kind of a wild guess, but 'The Whispering Mountain' by Joan Aiken?

Maybe. I honestly remember very little about it, but it looks like a good read anyway. Will try and dig out a copy! http://www.books4yourkids.com/2008/08/whispering-mountain-by-joan-aiken-304pp.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Runcible Cat posted:

Genevieve, maybe? If so, could be Sheri Tepper's 'Singer from the Sea', though the scene with her jumping from the cliff with her baby isn't described in quite that way.

That's actually probably it. Considering how long ago I read that I'm not surprised if my description was way off. Thanks!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Gambrinus posted:

A boy, about ten years old, who finds a sort of "otherworld" of elves, witches etc. inside a mountain. He may have had a sister. He may have had glasses. I'm sure there was definitely a witch of some kind involved.

I read this in about 1989-1991, when I was in junior school in South Wales. I'm pretty sure it was in paperback with an orangeish cover.

Alexander Key? I'm thinking
perhaps "Escape From Witch Mountain" but it could be one of the others as well.

AntiThesis
Aug 13, 2007
A (terrifying) book from my childhood, all I can remember is there was a Jester who skinned people? I'm sorry, I know that's a pretty tiny bit to go on.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I read a great book once about a woman who was a scientist and fell in love with a black hole, or something. I don't remember exactly. She had a boyfriend but she was studying this phenomenon she discovered that was basically a void, just an empty nothing, and as the book progresses she pulls further away from her boyfriend as she's projected all her feelings into this empty nothingness.

It was great. I know the woman who wrote it also wrote other books. I think it had zero in the title, maybe not. Google isn't doing me any good - I keep finding articles about how to make women fall in love with me.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Be Depressive posted:

I read a great book once about a woman who was a scientist and fell in love with a black hole, or something. I don't remember exactly. She had a boyfriend but she was studying this phenomenon she discovered that was basically a void, just an empty nothing, and as the book progresses she pulls further away from her boyfriend as she's projected all her feelings into this empty nothingness.

It was great. I know the woman who wrote it also wrote other books. I think it had zero in the title, maybe not. Google isn't doing me any good - I keep finding articles about how to make women fall in love with me.

I know that you maybe remember the author as a woman, but could it perhaps be Johnathan Lethem's book 'As She Climbed Across the Table'?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Be Depressive posted:

Not exactly the same, but there was a story with a psychic scientist who falls in love with a gaseous energy being that gets pulled into a black hole, and she remains in contact with the alien as it's frozen in time at the event horizon.

"Kyrie" by Poul Anderson?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I read some short story in the last year or two about an inventor who builds robot women meant to resemble his first love, told from the point of view of a business partner or investor or something. At some point the narrator's girlfriend sees the workshop and is really grossed out. It was really, really creepy and I'm trying to find it.

I remember it was posted on some blog or short fiction site with sort of arty lo-fi colorful backgrounds... I think. I realize this probably describes a lot of weird sci-fi stories, but perhaps someone else remembers this story? I think the blog might have had rockets in the title, but I haven't had any luck searching for it with google.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Elohssa Gib posted:

Had a book pop in my head at work today
Sci-fi/Fantasy
Future where mankind has developed interstellar travel, family moves to this planet where the whole city is inside a giant robot plant thing, I think. Also the kid in the family goes to school and uses a toy duck to make a translator for the robot/nanobots I remember specifically that they use it on a door and the door says it hurts and later they see the door getting repaired. and then it gets taken away and rebooted. I think there was a robotic uprising shortly after that and everyone realized they were too reliant on the robot and didn't treat them well. Also I think space travel was don by folding space and was explained in the book using a handkerchief as an analogy for space. Any ideas or am I just insane?

Still wondering about this, only thing I can think to expand on this is the handkerchief metaphor, basically they explain that to travel it's like two points on opposite corners of a hankie where if you had to fly it straight would take way too long and take way too much fuel so some how they are able to fold space so that the points are touching and then they travel just that short distance and then unfold space again and they're at the destination. I really need to find this book again so I can stop wondering about it when I'm trying to work.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 10, 2013

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

aunaturale posted:

There was a novel ridiculed for being overly dark and vulgar. Sewers were involved. Children were too. I'm pretty sure it was in a thread where people defended disliked books.

Stephen King's It? It has a particularly notorious scene involving children in sewers, but is otherwise an excellent book.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Elohssa Gib posted:

Still wondering about this, only thing I can think to expand on this is the handkerchief metaphor, basically they explain that to travel it's like two points on opposite corners of a hankie where if you had to fly it straight would take way too long and take way too much fuel so some how they are able to fold space so that the points are touching and then they travel just that short distance and then unfold space again and they're at the destination. I really need to find this book again so I can stop wondering about it when I'm trying to work.

Don't know about the other stuff, but the hankie/travel metaphor is the "wrinkle" in A Wrinkle In Time.

EDIT: I think I'm wrong about this -- sorry.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 10, 2012

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Don't know about the other stuff, but the hankie/travel metaphor is the "wrinkle" in A Wrinkle In Time.

EDIT: I think I'm wrong about this -- sorry.

They have used it in half a dozen stories about folding space. Most recent example I can think of is actually a fantasy version. Rand and Egwene use it as a description of Traveling in the Wheel of Time series.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

navyjack posted:

They have used it in half a dozen stories about folding space. Most recent example I can think of is actually a fantasy version. Rand and Egwene use it as a description of Traveling in the Wheel of Time series.

I was afraid of that, the only other real specific thing I can remember is that the kid in the book goes to a day care or preschool makes a friend and they get this robot duck dictionary thing, I think it's supposed to be educational but they somehow are able to make it translate what the nanobots are saying and get it taken away when they tell someone about a damaged door that was saying it hurt, they may also have used it as a skeleton key to get out of the daycare/school.

AntiThesis
Aug 13, 2007

aunaturale posted:

There was a novel ridiculed for being overly dark and vulgar. Sewers were involved. Children were too. I'm pretty sure it was in a thread where people defended disliked books.

Fairly sure this is IT - even for a King book, this was pretty dark and ... yeah, gratuitous is a good word.

AntiThesis posted:

A (terrifying) book from my childhood, all I can remember is there was a Jester who skinned people? I'm sorry, I know that's a pretty tiny bit to go on.

To expand on this, I have a feeling they may have been animals so that narrows it down a bit.

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011

I, earlier in this thread, posted:

I remember checking out a YA or middle grade fantasy novel back when I was in elementary school. (I'm 23, so this would have been in the 90s, although the book wasn't new when I checked it out and could have been written any time before then.) The only thing that I can remember about it was that it involved various transformed characters: so one of the main characters was a girl who had been turned into a whipped hound, and another was a black flying horse that had been turned into a dragon. IIRC, it wasn't even a very good book, but I've been wondering about it for a while now just out of nostalgia. It might have actually been a sequel to something I hadn't read.

I'm not sure that anybody cares, but on the off-chance that anyone else had memories of the same novel, I finally found this one by searching Google Books: turns out it's Gaal the Conqueror by John White. It's one book in a series of Narnia-inspired Christian fantasy novels and, sure enough, involves a girl turned into a dog and a flying horse turned into a dragon :toot: Reading the preview, it seems a little bit goofy but not particularly interesting.

The weird thing, though, is that I searched WorldCat and my local library catalog for the novel, and no libraries around me seem to carry it (or anything that could be a alternate edition of the book). So um, maybe the local library system had it in my childhood and in the intervening years got rid of their only copy? (I remember the cover being really faded: perhaps the physical condition of the book deteriorated to the point where they had to dispose of it? Also, the library I checked it out from as a child got in a lot of trouble a few years back for just straight-up throwing away old books, soooooo.)

Elohssa Gib, I've been searching for your book too, since I love children's (assuming it's a children's book?) sci-fi and fantasy with weird settings. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything :( Do you remember any details of the cover, perhaps?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

I'm not sure that anybody cares, but on the off-chance that anyone else had memories of the same novel, I finally found this one by searching Google Books: turns out it's Gaal the Conqueror by John White. It's one book in a series of Narnia-inspired Christian fantasy novels and, sure enough, involves a girl turned into a dog and a flying horse turned into a dragon :toot: Reading the preview, it seems a little bit goofy but not particularly interesting.

The weird thing, though, is that I searched WorldCat and my local library catalog for the novel, and no libraries around me seem to carry it (or anything that could be a alternate edition of the book). So um, maybe the local library system had it in my childhood and in the intervening years got rid of their only copy? (I remember the cover being really faded: perhaps the physical condition of the book deteriorated to the point where they had to dispose of it? Also, the library I checked it out from as a child got in a lot of trouble a few years back for just straight-up throwing away old books, soooooo.)

Amazon has a copy for under $2.

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011
Oh, I was mostly just searching for it in the library catalog to be double-certain that it was the right book, not so much because I wanted to read the whole thing again. I thought it was strange that it had seemingly vanished from the catalog record, but I suppose that libraries lose or get rid of books all the time.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

Oh, I was mostly just searching for it in the library catalog to be double-certain that it was the right book, not so much because I wanted to read the whole thing again. I thought it was strange that it had seemingly vanished from the catalog record, but I suppose that libraries lose or get rid of books all the time.

Yes, and libraries are constantly deluged with paperback donations and I'd say 99% of this stuff gets turned over to a variant of the local "Friends of the Library" group who sell it off for fundraising.

And libraries have to balance shelf space against circulation stats so it's not surprising to hear that it's not in a collection local to you or that it was weeded from the collection. My wife and I are librarians, by the way.

I'm glad you rediscovered your book though!

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

Elohssa Gib, I've been searching for your book too, since I love children's (assuming it's a children's book?) sci-fi and fantasy with weird settings. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything :( Do you remember any details of the cover, perhaps?

It wasn't a kids book, unfortunately my copy had no front cover as I got it in the early 90s from the stack of unsold paperbacks to be returned in the back room of a college bookstore when I was around 8 or 9. I think I remember it was kind of a dark story near the end with the doors being controlled by nanobots so when they revolted people were trapped in there rooms and couldn't leave.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

AntiThesis posted:

quote:

To expand on this, I have a feeling they may have been animals so that narrows it down a bit.

The Oaken Throne, Robin Jarvis. Book two of the Deptford Histories.

The jester is a weasel who is secretly a high priest of an evil cult which worships a horned rat god called Hobb, skinning sacrifices to make a "bloody bones" of them.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
I once read an account from a prisoner being taken to his execution. It started with him being assured that there was no way that the execution would ever happen and how he was simply walking to the corner and then something would happen. He turns the corner, sees the (I think) gallows set up and once again asserts that there is no way the execution would ever happen. He is led up the stairs, has the noose placed on his neck, and continues being absolutely sure that there is no way the execution will ever happen.

I'm pretty sure it was a vision or a dream in a book and I want to say it was around the time I was reading Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and a few others but googling hasn't led me anywhere.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Was it some story based around the unexpected hanging paradox?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexpected_hanging_paradox

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
I don't think so. For some reason I remember the narrator talking about how far away the corner looked and how surely someone in the crowd would leap out and save him or how once he turned the cornere there was no way for the gallows to actually be there so he had nothing to worry about. After he reaches the corner, he goes through the same thing with how far away the gallows actually are and how long it is going to take to get there and so on and so on.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Dead Alice posted:

Short story about some dudes in a ye olde Adventurers Club who go to extinguish an eternal flame in a desert.

When they get there they're ambushed by some people who worship the flame; and the adventurers are sacrificed to keep it burning.

This is from a couple pages back, but I didn't see it answered. This American Life featured a story that sounds like yours in this episode. I think it was the one by Fiona Maazel, but I didn't like it enough to listen to the episode again to be sure, sorry.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Down Right Fierce posted:

I once read an account from a prisoner being taken to his execution. It started with him being assured that there was no way that the execution would ever happen and how he was simply walking to the corner and then something would happen. He turns the corner, sees the (I think) gallows set up and once again asserts that there is no way the execution would ever happen. He is led up the stairs, has the noose placed on his neck, and continues being absolutely sure that there is no way the execution will ever happen.

I'm pretty sure it was a vision or a dream in a book and I want to say it was around the time I was reading Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and a few others but googling hasn't led me anywhere.

I doubt this is what you were referring to, but it sounds similar to Invitation to a Beheading, by Vladimir Nabakov.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Down Right Fierce posted:

This is part of the prosecutor's speech in the court scene at the end of The Karamazov Brothers (Garnett's translation):

I imagine that he felt something like what criminals feel when they are being taken to the scaffold. They have another long, long street to pass down and at walking pace, past thousands of people. Then there will be a turning into another street and only at the end of that street the dread place of execution! I fancy that at the beginning of the journey the condemned man, sitting on his shameful cart, must feel that he has infinite life still before him. The houses recede, the cart moves on—oh, that's nothing, it's still far to the turning into the second street and he still looks boldly to right and to left at those thousands of callously curious people with their eyes fixed on him, and he still fancies that he is just such a man as they. But now the turning comes to the next street. Oh, that's nothing, nothing, there's still a whole street before him, and however many houses have been passed, he will still think there are many left. And so to the very end, to the very scaffold.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011

Ras Het posted:

This is part of the prosecutor's speech in the court scene at the end of The Karamazov Brothers (Garnett's translation):

I imagine that he felt something like what criminals feel when they are being taken to the scaffold. They have another long, long street to pass down and at walking pace, past thousands of people. Then there will be a turning into another street and only at the end of that street the dread place of execution! I fancy that at the beginning of the journey the condemned man, sitting on his shameful cart, must feel that he has infinite life still before him. The houses recede, the cart moves on—oh, that's nothing, it's still far to the turning into the second street and he still looks boldly to right and to left at those thousands of callously curious people with their eyes fixed on him, and he still fancies that he is just such a man as they. But now the turning comes to the next street. Oh, that's nothing, nothing, there's still a whole street before him, and however many houses have been passed, he will still think there are many left. And so to the very end, to the very scaffold.

YEs! Thank you. I kept thinking it was in Crime and Punishment.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Esme posted:

This is from a couple pages back, but I didn't see it answered. This American Life featured a story that sounds like yours in this episode. I think it was the one by Fiona Maazel, but I didn't like it enough to listen to the episode again to be sure, sorry.

Thank you, I KNEW I recognized this story when I read the post but I couldn't for the life of me remember where I had read it. It is by Fiona Maazel (no title is given for it, not even on her web site) and the full text of it is included in the transcript of that TAL episode.

AntiThesis
Aug 13, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

The Oaken Throne, Robin Jarvis. Book two of the Deptford Histories.

The jester is a weasel who is secretly a high priest of an evil cult which worships a horned rat god called Hobb, skinning sacrifices to make a "bloody bones" of them.

You beautiful, beautiful person.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm looking for a children's book. It was a set of short stories from one character's perspective. It was Norwegian, Swedish, or Danish, maybe even Finnish. It wasn't Astrid Lindgren, but the name rings bells for me.

The main character of all the stories was a little girl with several siblings. The most solid memory I have is of her walking to the shop to buy bologna. On the way home, she makes up a song about the bologna.

I'm sure her grandparents are a big part. Her oldest brother has a proper strong name like Knut or something but I really don't remember. He sits on a roof.

It's not by Alf Proysen.

The name Birgitte rings bells too, but I don't know if that's relevant. I swear this book must be famous. I really thought it was Astrid Lindgren until I looked her up and couldn't find it. :saddowns:

AntiThesis
Aug 13, 2007

eating only apples posted:

bologna song book

This all sounds horribly familiar to me as well... now I have to seek it out. Can you remember anything else?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I listened to a series of fantasy or scifi books on tape maybe eight or seven years ago. The protagonist was a white teenager, who I think used to live in the present. His magic teacher/guardian was a green warlock with a name pronounced like Auz, and people used to make fun of his name for sounding like Oz. He had an attractive female companion who was older than him and loved looking attractive in whatever world/dimension she was in, which she could do using magic. She would apply just the right amount of slime on her armpits for some slug world, etc. Can anyone help me out?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I listened to a series of fantasy or scifi books on tape maybe eight or seven years ago. The protagonist was a white teenager, who I think used to live in the present. His magic teacher/guardian was a green warlock with a name pronounced like Auz, and people used to make fun of his name for sounding like Oz. He had an attractive female companion who was older than him and loved looking attractive in whatever world/dimension she was in, which she could do using magic. She would apply just the right amount of slime on her armpits for some slug world, etc. Can anyone help me out?
Robert Asprin's Myth series?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This is definitely it, thanks.

usurper75
Feb 16, 2012

eating only apples posted:

I'm looking for a children's book. It was a set of short stories from one character's perspective. It was Norwegian, Swedish, or Danish, maybe even Finnish. It wasn't Astrid Lindgren, but the name rings bells for me.

The main character of all the stories was a little girl with several siblings. The most solid memory I have is of her walking to the shop to buy bologna. On the way home, she makes up a song about the bologna.

I'm sure her grandparents are a big part. Her oldest brother has a proper strong name like Knut or something but I really don't remember. He sits on a roof.

Could it be by Anne-Cath Vestly, Norway's answer to Astrid Lindgren? I read some of her books as a kid, "Mormor og de åtte ungene" seems to match at least a Grandma and a bunch of siblings, and from what I remember from reading her books, that was a common theme in most of them.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I can vaguely remember bits and pieces of this book:

Mankind is engaging in new forms of underground drilling and comes across what we think are demons. One of the characters is captured by them and made one of them or something. It was a weird book but for some reason I want to revisit it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Gunslinger posted:

I can vaguely remember bits and pieces of this book:

Mankind is engaging in new forms of underground drilling and comes across what we think are demons. One of the characters is captured by them and made one of them or something. It was a weird book but for some reason I want to revisit it.
Maybe Jeff Long's The Descent? (The "demons" are called hadals, if that helps, short for Homo hadalis.)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Runcible Cat posted:

Maybe Jeff Long's The Descent? (The "demons" are called hadals, if that helps, short for Homo hadalis.)

That sounds like it, thanks a ton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

usurper75 posted:

Could it be by Anne-Cath Vestly, Norway's answer to Astrid Lindgren? I read some of her books as a kid, "Mormor og de åtte ungene" seems to match at least a Grandma and a bunch of siblings, and from what I remember from reading her books, that was a common theme in most of them.

This is what a friend suggested, but I don't think it's her. Wikipedia says that the Eight Children series is about kids in an apartment in Oslo, while my stories were about kids in a small village. It's killing me that I can't remember anything else about it :smith:

It had a yellow cover. I read it fifteen years ago or so. That's it. :sigh:

:supaburn: UPDATE :supaburn:

I found it. It's The Bullerby Children series by... Astrid Lindgren. I don't know why I discounted her so completely, she wrote a ton of stories. The names of the kids listed on the wiki article confused me at first but I guess they were changed in English because this site makes it all wonderfully familiar. Lars and Pip and Britta and Anna and little Kerstin who got into the boot polish :3:

Bologna! Of the best quality!

I'm super happy. Thanks for the help, TBB!

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 22, 2012