Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bee
Apr 28, 2009

Hup hup, Mister Bee!
Forwarded from my grandfather today.

quote:

JOHN MCCAIN'S

REMARKS ABOUT THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE!

In light of the recent appeals court

ruling in California , with respect to the Pledge of Allegiance,

the following recollection from Senator John McCain is very

appropriate:

"The Pledge of Allegiance" - by Senator

John McCain
As you may know, I spent five and one

half years as a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. In the

early years of our imprisonment, the NVA kept us in solitary

confinement or two or three to a cell. In 1971 the NVA moved us

from these conditions of isolation into large rooms with as many

as 30 to 40 men to a room.

This was, as you can

imagine, a wonderful change and was a direct result of the

efforts of millions of Americans on behalf of a few hundred POWs

10,000 miles from home.

One of the men who moved into my room

was a young man named Mike Christian.
Mike came from a small

town near Selma , Alabama . He didn't wear a pair of shoes until

he was 13 years old. At 17, he enlisted in the US Navy. He later

earned a commission by going to Officer Training School . Then

he became a Naval Flight Officer and was shot down and captured

in 1967. Mike had a keen and deep appreciation of the

opportunities this country and our military provide for people

who want to work and want to succeed.

As part of the

change in treatment, the Vietnamese allowed some prisoners to

receive packages from home. In some of these packages were

handkerchiefs, scarves and other items of

clothing.

Mike got himself a bamboo needle.

Over a period of a couple of months, he created an American flag

and sewed it on the inside of his shirt.

Every afternoon, before we had a bowl of

soup, we would hang Mike's shirt on the wall of the cell and say

the Pledge of Allegiance.

I know the Pledge of Allegiance

may not seem the most important part of our day now, but I can

assure you that in that stark cell it was indeed the most

important and meaningful event.

One day the Vietnamese searched our

cell, as they did periodically, and discovered Mike's shirt with

the flag sewn inside, and removed it.

That evening they

returned, opened the door of the cell, and for the benefit of

all of us, beat Mike Christian severely for the next couple of

hours. Then, they opened the door of the cell and threw him in.

We cleaned him up as well as we could.

The cell in which

we lived had a concrete slab in the middle on which we slept.

Four naked light bulbs hung in each corner of the

room.

As I said, we tried to clean up Mike as well as we

could. After the excitement died down, I looked in the corner of

the room, and sitting there beneath that dim light bulb with a

piece of red cloth, another shirt and his bamboo needle, was my

friend, Mike Christian. He was sitting there with his eyes

almost shut from the beating he had received, making another

American flag. He was not making the flag because it made Mike

Christian feel better. He was making that flag because he knew

how important it was to us to be able to Pledge our allegiance

to our flag and country.

So the next time you say the

Pledge of Allegiance, you must never forget the sacrifice and

courage that thousands of Americans have made to build our

nation and promote freedom around the world.
You must

remember our duty, our honor, and our country.

"I pledge

allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to

the republic for which it stands, one nation under God,

indivisible, with liberty and justice for

all."

PASS THIS ON... and on... and on! You

can even send it back to me I don't mind, because it is worth

reading

again.

Alright, so this was indeed a John McCain story, and it is corroborated according to PolitiFact.

So, why's this getting passed around? As closely as I can tell, it's in celebration of a years old California appeals court ruling allowing the pledge of allegiance to be read as-is in classrooms. Fun aside, though, while doing some research I initially thought it was in indignation over some county having bilingual pledges.

So, not really so crazy in the whole "fabricated tales of ultraconservatism" so much as passing around some good old-fashioned American jingoism. Also despite the apparently excessive line breaks, the font was large enough to stretch most sentences clear across my available 1920 pixels of screen width.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

If I witnessed that I would immediately conclude that this was the single dumbest professor I had ever encountered and I would drop the class post-haste.

Given how many times we've seen this story, it's EVERY professor ever. They're all shaking, slavering, atheists who are just bursting at the seams with screaming proof against God every time they open their mouths.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Mister Bee posted:

Forwarded from my grandfather today.

Alright, so this was indeed a John McCain story, and it is corroborated according to PolitiFact.

So, why's this getting passed around? As closely as I can tell, it's in celebration of a years old California appeals court ruling allowing the pledge of allegiance to be read as-is in classrooms. Fun aside, though, while doing some research I initially thought it was in indignation over some county having bilingual pledges.

So, not really so crazy in the whole "fabricated tales of ultraconservatism" so much as passing around some good old-fashioned American jingoism. Also despite the apparently excessive line breaks, the font was large enough to stretch most sentences clear across my available 1920 pixels of screen width.

Whenever I read weird jingoistic stuff like that I wonder where all the anti-establishment, lefty old people are. I mean, I know they exist because I've read about them, but where exactly are all these people now, who were back home in the US protesting the Vietnam War and actually trying to bring all the soldiers home from that quagmire?

The one's I can think of were all pretty famous for their activism, like Bill Ayers, but it seems like there should be a lot more, non-famous elderly lefties around sending emails with very different sentiments. Is the chain email a right wing thing or have those lefties just died out or what?

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Seems to be going around on Facebook:

quote:

WHO killed Bin Laden?
Here's a Marine's answer

"America is not at war, the US Marines are at war; America is at the mall."

Let's be clear on this: OBAMA did NOT kill Bin Laden. An American sailor, who Obama, just a few weeks before, was debating on whether or not to PAY, did! In fact, if you remember a little less than two years ago, his administration actually charged and attempted to court-martial three Navy Seals from Seal Team Six, when a terrorist suspect they captured, complained they had punched him during the take down and bloodied his nose. Obama's administration further commented how brutal they were. The left were calling them Nazi's and Baby Killers. Now all of a sudden, the very brave men they vilified are now heroes when they make his administration look good in the eyes of the public. Obama just happened to be the one in office when the CIA finally found the guy. And, our sailors took him out. Essentially, Obama only gave an answer, Yes or No, to him being taken out. This is NOT an Obama victory, but an AMERICAN victory!!

OBAMA'S OWN WORDS TRAP HIM:

2008: "Navy Seal Team 6 is Cheney's private assassination team."
2011: "I put together Seal Team 6 to take out Bin Laden."

2008: "Bin Laden is innocent until proven guilty, and must be captured alive and given a fair trial."
2011: "I authorized Seal Team 6 to kill Bin Laden."

2008: " Guantanamo is entirely unnecessary, and the detainees should not be interrogated."
2011: "Vital intelligence was obtained from Guantanamo detainees that led to our locating Bin Laden."

I HOPE THIS GETS SENT AROUND TO PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THE TRUTH

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Augster posted:

Conservatives will never, ever, get over the fact that Osama was killed during Obama's term in office, due to a gutsy call for a night time raid in hostile territory. All of this whining basically boils down to "well, Obama didn't personally fly in and pull the trigger!," and it's incredibly pathetic and transparent.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
As someone in our very own D&D once posted: "Obama didn't kill Osama bin Laden the same way bin Laden didn't fly airplanes into the World Trade Center."

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Hey, uhh, Obama did totally do a 180 on whether it was permissible to send in kill squads to assassinate people? Like, this is just factual. I get that he's Strong and makes you Feel Safe but it's a totally fair criticism.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Augster posted:

What I love most is that this quote:

quote:

WHO killed Bin Laden?
Here's a Marine's answer

"America is not at war, the US Marines are at war; America is at the mall."
...seems more like it's condemning the minimal effect being at war has on the general populace rather than anything to do Obama. Maybe people wouldn't treat going to war so casually if it was something that actually required the country to work for it. The past two wars are definitely like something out of Fahrenheit 451.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

...seems more like it's condemning the minimal effect being at war has on the general populace rather than anything to do Obama. Maybe people wouldn't treat going to war so casually if it was something that actually required the country to work for it. The past two wars are definitely like something out of Fahrenheit 451.

I don't know, when we had the draft we got into as many or more questionable wars.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

I don't know, when we had the draft we got into as many or more questionable wars.

We had precisely one war which a substantial percentage of the population disagreed with before the draft was abolished specifically to stop future protest movements.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

Agreed, but I think he was referring more to the whole rationing thing that went on during the world wars. Imagine telling Joe American he couldn't stock up on beer and hamburgers because there's a war on?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

We had precisely one war which a substantial percentage of the population disagreed with before the draft was abolished specifically to stop future protest movements.

You think no one disagreed with the Civil War or either of the World Wars?

There were riots over the draft during the Civil War.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Armyman25 posted:

Also World War 1, and the Spanish-American war. The draft was no barrier to starting wars for the benefits of propertied elites.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

Civil War, World War I, Allied deployment during the Russian Civil War, World War II, Korea, 1958 Lebanon Intervention, Dominican Republic 1965, and Vietnam and it's surrounding conflicts (Laotian and Cambodian civil wars). Granted, since the draft ended there's been Grenada, Honduras, Panama, Gulf of Sidra, Persian Gulf, Kuwait, Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Haiti, Afghanistan, Iraq, and countless other SOCOM/special forces deployments around the world.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

30.5 Days posted:

Yea, everyone loved the Civil War and the Spanish-American war and WW1 and all those other wars.

Even WW2, shockingly enough, was not exactly beloved by people even if they went 'woah that Hitler fella's a real bad egg!'

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

Fun fact about the Civil War draft, you could pay someone else to take your spot if you were drafted. This led to a common saying: "Rich man's war, poor man's fight", something that still holds true today. Even with the draft the rich are in a disproportionately better position to evade the draft legally by being in school or having connections that could, for instance, get them employed working at a munitions factory or the like.

Anyway, draft chat is a bit off the subject of political emails but an interesting topic nonetheless. Might warrant it's own thread.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bruce Leroy posted:

Whenever I read weird jingoistic stuff like that I wonder where all the anti-establishment, lefty old people are. I mean, I know they exist because I've read about them, but where exactly are all these people now, who were back home in the US protesting the Vietnam War and actually trying to bring all the soldiers home from that quagmire?

The one's I can think of were all pretty famous for their activism, like Bill Ayers, but it seems like there should be a lot more, non-famous elderly lefties around sending emails with very different sentiments. Is the chain email a right wing thing or have those lefties just died out or what?

The difference is that old leftists, unless they've given up and gone conservative in their old age, simply never retire. If they care enough to remain leftists, they're still out there, active, going on protests, getting the word out, etc. They don't pass emails around - they are the subject of emails passed around!

(This is only half a jingoistic parody.)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The difference is that old leftists, unless they've given up and gone conservative in their old age, simply never retire. If they care enough to remain leftists, they're still out there, active, going on protests, getting the word out, etc. They don't pass emails around - they are the subject of emails passed around!

(This is only half a jingoistic parody.)

To expand on that a little, I'm involved in several local activist organizations and in all of them there are people who range up to their 70s still actively protesting things.

One guy was telling me a story of protesting in Toronto or Seattle when a cop clubbed him to the ground. He heard some people yell that a cop was picking on that old guy and he started looking around while on the ground to see who he needed to go help. When he realized they meant him was the first time he felt old. Anecdotaly, to me, that is the typical graybeard leftist while the graybeard conservatives spend a lot of time fwd: emails around.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I was in the Marines, and we were saying "...America is at the mall" in 2005. If the war had some kind of tangible effect on the people at home, it would be over real quick. Rationing, a draft, actual journalists reporting the horror on the front page every day, bodies mangled by IEDs on the evening news every night; Any of these things would make a person think about the war and its cost. Instead we had Bush exhorting people to buy lots of christmas presents in order to defeat terrorism. I think the Star Ledger even stopped reporting on the weekly dead count at some point in 2008.

Afghanistan and Iraq are just this abstract thing going on in the Middle East, they are Bad, but we don't care enough to call our Congressman and demand a stop to it because it doesn't really affect us.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Augster posted:

If you want a line-by-line rebuttal, here's politifact's take: link

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

red19fire posted:

I was in the Marines, and we were saying "...America is at the mall" in 2005. If the war had some kind of tangible effect on the people at home, it would be over real quick. Rationing, a draft, actual journalists reporting the horror on the front page every day, bodies mangled by IEDs on the evening news every night; Any of these things would make a person think about the war and its cost. Instead we had Bush exhorting people to buy lots of christmas presents in order to defeat terrorism. I think the Star Ledger even stopped reporting on the weekly dead count at some point in 2008.

Afghanistan and Iraq are just this abstract thing going on in the Middle East, they are Bad, but we don't care enough to call our Congressman and demand a stop to it because it doesn't really affect us.

I was at the rallies against the invasions way back when. There were millions all told across the globe in the fall/winter of 2002 protesting these wars and nobody gave a gently caress. It was so heartbreaking.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Given how many times we've seen this story, it's EVERY professor ever. They're all shaking, slavering, atheists who are just bursting at the seams with screaming proof against God every time they open their mouths.

Counterpoint: I once escaped a professor who assigned this:

(image courtesy of Paleolibertarian.net :v:)

After I saw that I realized I had forgot to check his rate my professor. It was like a 1.5 in all categories, he liked to yell at gay students and used Pat Buchanan as a source in class. Oh tenure, for all the good you do, sometimes you gently caress up bad.

EDIT: So the crazy professors ARE out there, just not on the side these forward writers think.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 15, 2012

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

After I saw that I realized I had forgot to check his rate my professor. It was like a 1.5 in all categories, he liked to yell at gay students and used Pat Buchanan as a source in class. Oh tenure, for all the good you do, sometimes you gently caress up bad.

EDIT: So the crazy professors ARE out there, just not on the side these forward writers think.

How is it remarkable to say that Western Civ is about the citizens of Western nations? :confused:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

When this series popped up in some thread a while back, someone decided to make a photoshop thread about them. There was one good reply with a "Politically Incorrect Guide to Superman," written by Lex Luthor. The rest of the posts were people expressing their horror at all the books that were not photoshops.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

How is it remarkable to say that Western Civ is about the citizens of Western nations? :confused:

It means non-Europeans aren't real Americans. :ssh:

EDIT: Also denying foreign influence on Western Civ. Like, "Pffft, who needed Terrence? Yeah, yeah, the Chinese invented the compass, we didn't need it though". Crazy poo poo like that.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 15, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is from Craigslist but I love it because it's just rooted enough in reality to be somebody's actual belief unlike the obvious trolls and people looking for a reaction.

quote:

The state provided legal move of "STAND YOUR GROUND" should protect our neighborhood crime watch team members. I for one am not going to stand by and watch a crime go down without getting involved, even if it means that I must protect myself in the end. I will not stand by and look at some suspicious person walk thru my (that includes family & friends) neighborhood without asking questions, even if that means I must protect myself in the end. Without the "STAND YOUR GROUD" law we would be forced to stand by and watch as crime increases.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Davethulhu posted:

If you want a line-by-line rebuttal, here's politifact's take: link

Don't just use the rebuttal as your source though. Familiarize yourself with the arguments and make them in your own words, with the citations from politifact as needed, but don't link directly to politifact. Same goes for Wikipedia.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Sporadic posted:

This is from Craigslist but I love it because it's just rooted enough in reality to be somebody's actual belief unlike the obvious trolls and people looking for a reaction.

Wow, so the same exact misunderstanding of the "Stand Your Ground" law as Zimmerman has/had?

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Bruce Leroy posted:

Wow, so the same exact misunderstanding of the "Stand Your Ground" law as Zimmerman has/had?

Yeah, apparently the idea that "RUN INTO/INSTIGATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION" != "STAND YOUR GROUND" is hard for people to comprehend.

Bruce Leroy posted:

Is the chain email a right wing thing or have those lefties just died out or what?

This comes up every so often in this thread. And I think it's that, for some reason, chain emails like this are a conservative thing. There are liberal leaning ones out there, but they are in the tiny, tiny, tiny minority. The only one I know of off the top of my head is a fake list of books Sarah Palin supposedly banned that went around during the 2008 election. But all told, left leaning chain emails are a very rare breed. Conservative ones, on the other hand, continue to increase, and ones that are more than a decade old still get passed around. I mean there are ones from the late 90's about Bill Clinton (that were false then) that get passed around now with Obama's name swapped in and no other changes.

Why are the predominantly Conservative? That I have no answer for, but that certainly seems to be the case.

quote:

2011: "Vital intelligence was obtained from Guantanamo detainees that led to our locating Bin Laden."

I still need to read the Politifact rebuttal, but I know that this one isn't true. In fact, I remember when it happened they specifically said they didn't get the information in that way, because all of that information was completely unreliable.

Augure posted:

Hey, uhh, Obama did totally do a 180 on whether it was permissible to send in kill squads to assassinate people? Like, this is just factual. I get that he's Strong and makes you Feel Safe but it's a totally fair criticism.

Factual in what way? Maybe at some point in his past he spoke out against it, but in 2008 when he was running for President he was pretty loving clear where he stood. This isn't a "he's not what I expected" moment; it's a "he did exactly what he said he would do" moment.

Obama; Oct 7th, 2008 posted:

What I have said is we're going encourage democracy in Pakistan, expand our non-military aid to Pakistan so that they have more of a stake in working with us, but insisting that they go after these militants. And if we have Osama bin Laden in our sights and the Pakistani government is unable or unwilling to take them out, then I think that we have to act, and we will take them out. We will kill bin Laden. We will crush al-Qaida. That has to be our biggest national security priority.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo:

and his facebook reply:

quote:

No minimum wage means no unemployment.. ever. Now, sceptics will argue that there will be millions of people working below "living wage," but I guess that having these poor unfortunate souls suck on the govt teet (unemplmt, welfare) while contributing nothing to society is a much better idea than doing actual work and moving back up the ladder. No wonder we have moms breast-feeding their kindergarteners on Time. magazine. What's next, 25yr-olds on their parent's healthcare plan?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 15, 2012

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Holy poo poo:

and his facebook reply:
No minimum wage means no unemployment.. ever. Now, sceptics will argue that there will be millions of people working below "living wage," but I guess that having these poor unfortunate souls suck on the govt teet (unemplmt, welfare) while c...

I love the super simple supply and demand graph. It's like if you only knew addition and declared calculus wrong.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
yeah those people would be much better off dying cold and hungry in the street because they cant afford food or housing than getting government help, but at least they will know the dignity of work and can die proud.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Branis posted:

yeah those people would be much better off dying cold and hungry in the street because they cant afford food or housing than getting government help, but at least they will know the dignity of work and can die proud.

The right in this country really does have some kinda bizarre samurai logic huh? "Sure you'll die in the cold hungry and alone, but you'll die with your honor!"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Aeka 2.0's douchebag Facebook person posted:

Now, sceptics will argue that there will be millions of people working below "living wage," but I guess that having these poor unfortunate souls suck on the govt teet (unemplmt, welfare) while contributing nothing to society is a much better idea than doing actual work and moving back up the ladder.

How do you move up the ladder making a dollar a hour?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 16, 2012

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Branis posted:

Or you know, rob the first doughy rich white IT worker libertarian you find because your options are limited to digging ditches or unloading train cars for $1.15 an hour.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Sporadic posted:

How do you move up the ladder making a dollar a hour?

You don't. But don't quote me like I was the one that said that stuff. I'd like to distance myself from that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sarion posted:

Why are the predominantly Conservative? That I have no answer for, but that certainly seems to be the case.

It's because they're all written by old people and old people tend to be conservative. It's the only possible explanation for the bizarre uses of ellipses, line breaks, erratic capitalization, and constantly shifting font sizes; the only people who do that poo poo are children and seniors, and the former has no political interest.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Holy poo poo:

and his facebook reply:

That asterisk really ought to read "interns, expected to do grunt work for free for the hope of maybe landing a job"

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I just went and grabbed a coffee from our break room and the guy who owns the building came up and shoved a piece of paper with this picture on it in my face and proudly exclaimed "See! This guy is a phony! This isn't right and should be all over the news!"

All it took was me typing in "obama columbia student id" into the Google.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Photoshop his face on to something ridiculous, maybe it'll teach him to be more skeptical in the future.