Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

You're all wrong. Antimony's a teenager nearing adulthood, remember? Kamlen is masculine and sensual. Ms. Jones is androgynous and wears sensible shoes. This is a metaphor for Antimony's sexual indecision.

Should she be more like Bill Clinton, or more like Hilary Clinton. The question all girls have to ask themselves at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Should she be more like Bill Clinton, or more like Hilary Clinton. The question all girls have to ask themselves at some point.
Of course! Gunnerkrigg Court is actually an allegory for American politics in the 1990s! It all fits together!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Wili posted:

Jones cannot represent the Court, she is defined several times as a free agent. I think Jones can only be representing herself.
That is certainly true of the real Jones, but I'm not sure Antimony sees her that way.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I dunno, I think if Annie's mind wanted to pick something that represented the court it'd probably be Kat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cabbit posted:

I dunno, I think if Annie's mind wanted to pick something that represented the court it'd probably be Kat.

I'm not too certain about that. While Kat definitely has an affinity for all things technical, her experiences regarding Diego and the old robots seem to have made her a fair bit more apprehensive about the Court itself.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DaveWoo posted:

Of course! Gunnerkrigg Court is actually an allegory for American politics in the 1990s! It all fits together!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Gunnerkrigg Court: Actually an allegory for American politics in the 1990s

That said, I'm in the Jones-as-a-neutrality-representation thing. I'm half-expecting to see Kat show up in the next update.

Of course, given how these things are going, that half-expectation also includes:
- Zimmy touches Kat, Kat starts seeing the vision too
- Kat shows up half naked
- Hilarity ensues

Perestroika posted:

I'm not too certain about that. While Kat definitely has an affinity for all things technical, her experiences regarding Diego and the old robots seem to have made her a fair bit more apprehensive about the Court itself.

I think it would be fair to say Kat's on the Court end of Neutral. Despite having misgivings about the management, as it were, I think she'd be uncomfortable with the forest in general and she is very tech-minded.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 14, 2012

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cabbit posted:

I'd expect Jimmy Jims myself.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

That is certainly true of the real Jones, but I'm not sure Antimony sees her that way.

Annie definitely doesn't see Jones as a representative of the Court

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Probably not as a representative of the Court, no. But as a representative of Annie's obligations and futur duties as a mediating agent? Forced to cast away emotions and preferences for her job? Maybe so.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I'm reading this page as less of a "Court/Forest" thing and more of a "personal development" thing. At the time Annie went to the forest, she had just literally blown up at the court and her teachers, her emotions were raging out of control, and she was being overwhelmed by new feelings. On top of all this, she's introduced to her first summer romance with this exotic green dude after a lifetime in a cold, sterile hospital.

Given her family history and emotional inexperience, there was a real chance of things getting out of hand (and then things getting set on fire). Jones, recognizing this, approaches Annie and gives her some training in social interaction: Don't wear your heart on your sleeve, be careful with your emotions, cultivate a public face. Maybe this cools Kamlen's interest, as he's attracted to the raw, unsuppressed fire?

Look at Annie and Jack's interaction after she returns from the forest. She's wearing her mask and stretching her muscles, trying to be scheming and manipulative towards him. Only she isn't very good at it yet, and he's got some baggage going on that throws her for a loop.

Most of post-forest Antimony's interactions have been with Kat, who she is comfortable enough with to be completely open. I would expect that, going forward, her dealings with those outside her immediate circle of friends are more likely to be guarded and reminiscent of pre-forest Annie. Among those she is comfortable and trusting of, we'll see more of her newly awakened fire.

---

Or maybe the comic is completely literal and Jones is handing Antimony a mask for the big festival that evening. Jones is undressed because she's changing into her costume, and Kamlen is leaving so that Annie can get changed.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

MikeJF posted:

Zimmy's surprise at Kat not being able to see this makes me think that most would get some hint; and Kat's just really Ether-insensitive.

Sorry, this is from last page but I thought I'd add an interesting tid bit:

You may remember that during the first Zimmy reality warp at the power station Kat was not pulled in like Annie, Jack and the rest. The Kat they saw was just an illusion.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Noooo Annie, don't do it!

Noooooooooo
But Annie is a firebender!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Did you know? I was a wallet once!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Rannos22 posted:

Sorry, this is from last page but I thought I'd add an interesting tid bit:

You may remember that during the first Zimmy reality warp at the power station Kat was not pulled in like Annie, Jack and the rest. The Kat they saw was just an illusion.

None of the others were. Only Jack, Annie, Zimmy and Gamma were.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Rasamune posted:

Holy poo poo, that's rad as hell.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

Rasamune posted:

If you put money in it, do you just hear laughter as it disappears?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
So how does all this tie back into the chapter title

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Oh, I get it. The mask is a happy face, she was upset when she went into the forest, but when she returned, she wore a happy face.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Something else to notice is that the forest spirits in the background are smiling until she's given the mask where they frown, and then when she puts the mask on they're gone entirely.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nettle Soup posted:

Oh, I get it. The mask is a happy face, she was upset when she went into the forest, but when she returned, she wore a happy face.

Hm. Based on the spirit disappearance, I'm reading the mask as "pretend to be court person", myself. She looked pretty legit happy when she got back from the forest in the first place.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm wondering if this is all a distraction actually, with the spider at the start signalling that this is all because Jack did something to the blinker stone when she handed it to him.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Noooo Annie, don't do it!

Noooooooooo

Antimony

Antimony

It all makes sense now!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Fangz posted:

I'm wondering if this is all a distraction actually, with the spider at the start signalling that this is all because Jack did something to the blinker stone when she handed it to him.

I don't get what else Jack would want with Annie, is the thing. I'm pretty sure that chapter is closed.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Rasamune posted:

I don't get what else Jack would want with Annie, is the thing. I'm pretty sure that chapter is closed.

To get closer to Zimmy?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fangz posted:

The spiders aren't a Jack thing, they're a Zimmy thing. More specifically, its implied they're a separate entity trying to get out of Zimmy's...uh, problems.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Rasamune posted:

I'll take ten!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

President Ark posted:

I'll take ten!

Thanks to that link on Tom's tumblr I am about to drop many dollars on a custom wallet design. I don't regret this.

Tom, I thank you but my bank account curses you.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I marathoned the comic last week and caught up before I knew it. Towards the more recent updates I saw that Tom quit his job to do the comic full time and there was some kind of news surrounding that which is no longer posted on the site. Can someone tell me what that news was?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

DaveKap posted:

So I marathoned the comic last week and caught up before I knew it. Towards the more recent updates I saw that Tom quit his job to do the comic full time and there was some kind of news surrounding that which is no longer posted on the site. Can someone tell me what that news was?

That's what the news was. There was a page for it along with a silly little drawing that parodied the Wikipedia PLESE HALP banners, but I guess he took it away. It was pretty funny looking, so that's a shame.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Geekner posted:

hahahahahaha

Hey, the old image and link still work. Sweet

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
This is going to be sweet tender chapter, isn't it? Also, wasn't the gardener the guy from chapter 24? AKA Bob of Young's Park?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I know it's been a while, but I still can't get over this pigeon that's just planted itself to Kat's head. It's just an awesome juxtaposition; we have all this deep and meaningful dream symbolism and also headpigeon.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
So when she removes the mask she starts wearing Zimmy's real world clothes? And what the hell is Zimmy wearing with that collar and the red streaks in her hair? It's not her Birmingham clothes because that has no collar, and it's not the same collar as her real world clothes.

Also the pigeon doesn't even know it's a pigeon on Kat's head.

And what is that red stuff on them?

The only thing that I think I understand is Annie crying because a) Kat is there and b) she could remove the mask, nothing else makes sense at all

pik_d fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 16, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

pik_d posted:

So when she removes the mask she starts wearing Zimmy's real world clothes? And what the hell is Zimmy wearing with that collar and the red streaks in her hair? It's not her Birmingham clothes because that has no collar, and it's not the same collar as her real world clothes.

Pretty sure she's just wearing the clothes she was wearing on the tree scene, not Zimmy's clothes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

pik_d posted:

Isn't that just the school uniform?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

YF-23 posted:

Pretty sure she's just wearing the clothes she was wearing on the tree scene, not Zimmy's clothes.

Zimmy's real world clothes are the same as the others but without the brown sweater vest, which disappears as Annie removes the mask

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My hand isnt being held and its scary!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

YF-23 posted:

She was also crying during the tree scene,m as I know because I just re-read it yesterday.

Wet Copper Armour
Jan 1, 2006
All Gods are Bastards
So the mask represents Annie repressing her emotions. When she was at the fruit tree with Kat was really the first time we saw her really express her feelings. When she went to the forest she also stopped repressing her emotions, she'd just blown up at Reynard, then she continued letting out her emotions when she stayed in the forest. Why Jones gave her the mask I'm not sure. Maybe her time with Jones has helped her recognise that when she has her emotional mask on she's more like Jones the (not a) robot than she is like normal people. Or something.

Thats what I take from it anyway.

fake edit: Also if you look in the final panel Kat looks worried but Annie is smiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

pik_d posted:

So when she removes the mask she starts wearing Zimmy's real world clothes? And what the hell is Zimmy wearing with that collar and the red streaks in her hair? It's not her Birmingham clothes becausei that has no collar, and it's not the same collar as her real world clothes.

And what is that red stuff on them?

The only thing that I think I understand is Annie crying because a) Kat is there and b) she could remove the mask, nothing else makes sense at all

As others have said, she's just wearing her school uniform from that scene from way back, when Annie first broke her emotionless mask and wept for her mum. Red stuff is cherry juices, cause they were eating cherries in that cherry tree they're under. Dirty clothes from climbing and falling said tree.

The rest of this is my own speculation but I'm pretty confident of it, the red streaks in Zimmy's hair are a projection of her desire to have Annie's life, which she is very jealous of(a good friend you can really physically speak with, not seen as a demon, [mostly] in control of her powers, important to the court, surrogate family, i can go on) we saw last time they were all stuck in Zimmy's Dreamworld, some etheric curse dealie where minds are very open, projecting things into the world (Annie projected fake Kat, Zimmy switched 'lives' with Annie) and thus also very vulnerable to outside influences (spiders latching onto Jack, causing some craziness of their own[I like to think of the spiders as another trickster god, and that whole possessed Jack bit was them getting Jack to meet Zimmy again and fall for her, because that's a hilarious couple right there]).

The pigeon is Kat. Its how she sees herself, subconsciously (remember how Kat's first love was the kid who turned into a bird). This is why they share thoughts. Zimmy can see it thanks to Kat's subconscious projecting into Zimmy's ether dealie.

My take on the previous comic is basically Annie loves the forest(represented mainly by Kamlen), despite its dangers(Coyote's arm snipping bind), however her responsibilities(seen here projected by Annie's subconscious as Jones) preclude her from such things, as she must remain neutral(the politely smiling mask). Latest comic shows how she feels that she can discard that emotionally minimal, neutral mask when she is around her family at the court(Kat), and cry and smile joyfully freely.

No idea what all that means but drat if I can't wait till Friday to find out. Writing this thesis on the psychological workings of the minds of three comic characters I've realized I probably need a GC avatar.

Edit: a round of applause to Tom for crafting such a great story with fantastic characters. I look forward to sharing this comic with my friends (and little sister especially) once I get the print copies. Please continue for a long time, and please find more stories and things for me to buy because you truly deserve the support.

Raposa fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 16, 2012