Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I had a similar lump on my shin from tkd as a kid. It shrunk and became jump a little bump on my shin that was basically invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I need to get some headgear for Muay Thai sparring, any recommendations?

The standard at the gym seems to be the Twins HGL 3, which I can get online for $50.
But I need my brain for work and stuff, so I wouldn't mind spending more for better protection. Has anyone used the Twins HGL 9 or HGL10? They are around $125 but if they're better protection, I'll get one.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Stabbing Spork posted:

The standard at the gym seems to be the Twins HGL 3, which I can get online for $50.
But I need my brain for work and stuff, so I wouldn't mind spending more for better protection. Has anyone used the Twins HGL 9 or HGL10? They are around $125 but if they're better protection, I'll get one.

I use Winning headgear, but if you are really worried about your brain different headgear won't make that much of a difference, its mainly to prevent cuts and broken noses and stuff. The one thing you can do is get a full-face one that goes around the chin too to help you not get knocked out

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you want to preserve your head, you have to adopt a style that limits how much and hard you get hit there. The Winning FG-5900 can prevent your nose from getting crushed, but it can't contain how much long term damage you're getting from accumulated blows.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Im not going to lie, after reading the thread about CTE in football, its a little scary about getting back into boxing. Sure I knew there was injury possible and damage but I didnt realize how small impacts over time might have a serious damage done.

Maybe Ill just stick with my gay pajama groping

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

swagger like us posted:

Im not going to lie, after reading the thread about CTE in football, its a little scary about getting back into boxing. Sure I knew there was injury possible and damage but I didnt realize how small impacts over time might have a serious damage done.

Maybe Ill just stick with my gay pajama groping

I still box for fun sometimes, but I've taken enough shots to the head from boxing and football that I don't let it get beyond little taps anymore. It's all about what you're comfortable with.

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you're moving like a linesman and running head first into your opponent you should probably give up boxing IMO

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Playing line in football is a very different animal from hobby boxing. Unless you're just hanging your head out for guys to tee off over and over

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Talked about how long it's been since I had a cauliflower ear incident with some buddies today. Big mistake!
Got a nice, solid kick in the ear that hosed it up again. Hooray! Now I have the choice of buying some syringes tomorrow to deal with it myself or waiting until monday at the earliest to have a doctor deal with it. loving Zzz.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

cauliflower ear

Sorry to hear!

I've been thinking about getting some headgear. I've never noticed any kind of swelling but my ears have been known to be sore for days after grappling. Am I pretty much on the fast track? Or are there a bunch of other people who get sore ears every other time they grapple but have lasted years without lancing anything?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

McNerd posted:

Sorry to hear!

I've been thinking about getting some headgear. I've never noticed any kind of swelling but my ears have been known to be sore for days after grappling. Am I pretty much on the fast track? Or are there a bunch of other people who get sore ears every other time they grapple but have lasted years without lancing anything?

My ears get sore from grappling all the time but I dont get cauliflower ear, you only need to be worried if it swells up. You could wear headgear just to be safe though.......... if you're a baby!!!!!!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

I made a new boxing training thread in the former W&W.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Chemtrail Clem posted:

My ears get sore from grappling all the time but I dont get cauliflower ear, you only need to be worried if it swells up. You could wear headgear just to be safe though.......... if you're a baby!!!!!!!

Some people just have different ears. I've had mine bent all which ways but no cauliflower ear, but we'll get some guys who will get it from a semi-tight guillotine on their first day. Different sensitivities.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stabbing Spork posted:

It sounds like you've just started sparring, so getting some super secure headgears seems stupid to me unless you could lose your job for looking like you got in a fight. The more secure a headgear, the less visibility. The less strikes you see coming, the more insecure you will be about opening up. Unless you're at a lovely gym, your sparring partners won't be throwing hard vs a beginner in order for you to learn how to deal with getting punched/kicked without falling into a defensive shell.

Those full face headgears like the HGL 9 are useless for MT because you won't be able to see your opponents legs at close range. Don't get one that protects your chin either, because it won't keep you from getting knocked out and messes with your hand positioning.

I'd recommend this here for regular sparring http://www.sharkwearsports.com/top-ten-avantgarde-head-guard-p-31.html and the Winning FG-2900 later for hard sparring sessions.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Paul Pot posted:

It sounds like you've just started sparring, so getting some super secure headgears seems stupid to me unless you could lose your job for looking like you got in a fight. The more secure a headgear, the less visibility. The less strikes you see coming, the more insecure you will be about opening up. Unless you're at a lovely gym, your sparring partners won't be throwing hard vs a beginner in order for you to learn how to deal with getting punched/kicked without falling into a defensive shell.

Those full face headgears like the HGL 9 are useless for MT because you won't be able to see your opponents legs at close range. Don't get one that protects your chin either, because it won't keep you from getting knocked out and messes with your hand positioning.

I'd recommend this here for regular sparring http://www.sharkwearsports.com/top-ten-avantgarde-head-guard-p-31.html and the Winning FG-2900 later for hard sparring sessions.

Also, I remember watching a documentary on headgear that said that headgear can actually be worst for your brain than no headgear at all. It's good at protecting your face, but because of the added weight and other stuff I can't remember, your brain will bounce around more in your head than if you didn't wear any. So don't buy headgear thinking it will protect your brain cause it won't.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

the yellow dart posted:

Some people just have different ears. I've had mine bent all which ways but no cauliflower ear, but we'll get some guys who will get it from a semi-tight guillotine on their first day. Different sensitivities.

Yup. My right ear is a beautiful, natural ear that would make an angel weep to look upon it, even after years of abuse. My left is slowly applying for a Brazilian citizenship.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KingColliwog posted:

Also, I remember watching a documentary on headgear that said that headgear can actually be worst for your brain than no headgear at all. It's good at protecting your face, but because of the added weight and other stuff I can't remember, your brain will bounce around more in your head than if you didn't wear any. So don't buy headgear thinking it will protect your brain cause it won't.

in the case of someone getting knocked out cold it definitely protects the skull from the floor

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Having my third BJJ class on Monday!

In my first one the teacher took me aside and showed me the extra-basic stuff like mount escapes, americana and breaking the guard. In the second one though, I trained with the rest of the class and we did some really cool stuff: double-leg, sprawling, and a couple of standing guillotine escapes. I was excited to see people training takedowns and standing grappling techniques, I love this part of martial arts.

The instructor seems like the coolest guy ever and the students are all very friendly. I was very well received and despite being new they made me not feel out of place at all. No McDojo red flags, either. I'm thinking of staying with this gym and start training for real, and I'm really pumped.

Now's the time to buy a gi, though, and there's a bazillion trillion billion brand options. I'm in Brazil so I don't know if you guys can help me there, but I'm thinking of going with Atama since it's the one that's most consistently recommended (Stephan Kesting wears Atama on his website, so I guess it's gone international too). Also it seems to be the one with the less intrusive BRANDNAME stamp.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yup. My right ear is a beautiful, natural ear that would make an angel weep to look upon it, even after years of abuse. My left is slowly applying for a Brazilian citizenship.

You never know what people think about your country until it gets compared to a cauliflower ear

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

Playing line in football is a very different animal from hobby boxing. Unless you're just hanging your head out for guys to tee off over and over

Yeah, I played D line for years so I figure I've got a nice patina of scar tissue all over my frontal cortex. No reason to make a bad situation worse.

Fake edit: Wrestling headgear is awesome, and I will hear no ill spoken of it. :colbert:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone ever ordered from Meister MMA?

http://www.meistermma.com/

They got some good cheap poo poo. Their anklets have good reviews on amazon. Probably get some hand wraps and some board shorts too as they aren't too TAP OUT MMA loving DRAGONS BRO. Wait, one pair is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Got liver KO'ed in sparring today. Tried to chase him down after he threw a weak sidekick, but he doubled it up and the second smacked me over the stomach and liver.
We all take shots that hurt but we remain calm and work through. Tried to do that here. Maybe a 3s delayed reaction before my partner asked me if I was ok -- I just couldn't fake through it. Took a 20 count on a knee before I could get up.
It was cool. I'm sure I would have taken the round off it'd landed any harder.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Cyphoderus posted:

Having my third BJJ class on Monday!

In my first one the teacher took me aside and showed me the extra-basic stuff like mount escapes, americana and breaking the guard. In the second one though, I trained with the rest of the class and we did some really cool stuff: double-leg, sprawling, and a couple of standing guillotine escapes. I was excited to see people training takedowns and standing grappling techniques, I love this part of martial arts.

The instructor seems like the coolest guy ever and the students are all very friendly. I was very well received and despite being new they made me not feel out of place at all. No McDojo red flags, either. I'm thinking of staying with this gym and start training for real, and I'm really pumped.

The vibe of a gym is really important. If it's a cool place to train you'll never make excuses to skip training, and if they're cool people you're even more likely not to skip it because you want to hang out with your friends and break their arms/spines. Sounds like you have a cool gym on your hands.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The vibe of a gym is really important. If it's a cool place to train you'll never make excuses to skip training, and if they're cool people you're even more likely not to skip it because you want to hang out with your friends and break their arms/spines. Sounds like you have a cool gym on your hands.

I know you're joking and all, but allow me to whine a bit.

Training with people who want to cause you injury, is not a good idea and should not be tolerated.

I don't mean a wrestler or anyone else who is stuck in one gear, and that gear is 'go 100%'. I don't mean someone who may not be 100% clear on the rules making a mistake. I don't mean a legitimate accident.

I mean a person whose objective is to very much cause you injury, outside of competition.

Training hard within the confines of any combat sport or martial art is fine. Training as hard as you can, almost to the point of injury or in any situation where it is mutual is fine.

Anyway at the moment I'm trying to get back into BJJ. Recently I've just been kind of burnt out from work the last couple of months. It'd be nice to have a job where I didn't have to get up at 4:30am and not get back home till 6.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Christoff posted:

They got some good cheap poo poo. Their anklets have good reviews on amazon. Probably get some hand wraps and some board shorts too as they aren't too TAP OUT MMA loving DRAGONS BRO. Wait, one pair is.

If there is one place where dragons are ok it's on MMA gear.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

kimbo305 posted:

Got liver KO'ed in sparring today. Tried to chase him down after he threw a weak sidekick, but he doubled it up and the second smacked me over the stomach and liver.
We all take shots that hurt but we remain calm and work through. Tried to do that here. Maybe a 3s delayed reaction before my partner asked me if I was ok -- I just couldn't fake through it. Took a 20 count on a knee before I could get up.

Liver shots are the worst.
I lost one MMA fight when i started chasing a guy into the ropes and took a counter knee in the liver. I sounded like a beached dolphin :v:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I posted this on the boxing thread:

Ligur posted:

Threw a combined class today for both BF sparring fighters and fitness boxers. I got the fitness boxers to spar with the savateurs and they were completely on FIRE about it. (The more experienced strikers who spar regularly were, of course, really easy on them, I just wanted everyone to have fun with it.)

"This is amazing! This is so much fun! Why aren't there more classes like this!" Well there ARE but you've just chosen the wrong activity for it, guys and girls, the wrong sport...

I'm more and more convinced every day and each time this happens (and it does happen regularly) that at least half of the people who do "fitness boxing" or "cardio kickboxing" or such would actually want to just box or kickbox for reals but are inhibited by our social conditioning which teaches us: if someone slightly touches you in a punch-like manner = DEATH DANGEROUS INVASION OF PERSONAL SPACE AARGH CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD AND THE FIRE TRUCK AND AMBULANCE. One of the girls pulled the most awesome "WHAT HAPPENED TO ME" -face when she got punched in the nose a little bit but by the end of the class was positively squealing in delight.

... but I think it fits both threads :colbert:

There's just something in it when you see a girl (or a guy) who just broke all her previous boundaries in what she thought was "normal" and threw a PUNCH. At SOMEONE. And the someone PUNCHED BACK. And then they find out the frigging LOVE IT, eyes all sparkly, face flushed and the biggest grin on.

edit: Wait a moment.

quote:

squealing... love it... eyes sparkly... face flushed...

I'm not sure if I should be disturbed or not about the fact it's almost as if I was posting about some sort of sexual activity here.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 13, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

I didn't see your documentary so I could be wrong, but I think the usual arguments are:

1. When you're wearing headgear you do stupid stuff you wouldn't do otherwise (and likewise your training partners might punch a little too hard.)
2. The added mass of heavy gloves is claimed to make punches more powerful in some respects (in addition to, again, letting people punch harder than they should). But I don't see why heavy headgear would have the same effect. In fact if you increase your skull's mass it ought to move less when you hit it, and therefore your brain will bounce around less too.. (How much do you think the Earth's iron core moves around when you jump up and down? Not much, because the Earth's crust itself is so heavy you're barely moving it in the first place, let alone transmitting that energy to the mantle and core.)

Of course some of these effects might be downright insignificant.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 13, 2012

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

McNerd posted:

I didn't see your documentary so I could be wrong, but I think the usual arguments are:

1. When you're wearing headgear you do stupid stuff you wouldn't do otherwise (and likewise your training partners might punch a little too hard.)
2. The added mass of heavy gloves is claimed to make punches more powerful in some respects (in addition to, again, letting people punch harder than they should). But I don't see why heavy headgear would have the same effect. In fact if you increase your skull's mass it ought to move less when you hit it, and therefore your brain will bounce around less too.. (How much do you think the Earth's iron core moves around when you jump up and down? Not much, because the Earth's crust itself is so heavy you're barely moving it in the first place, let alone transmitting that energy to the mantle and core.)

IIRC the issue with headgear is that people hit harder. There are two issues with gloves. First off you have the extra mass, but more importantly you can't punch people very hard in the head with a bare fist without injuring yourself. The old bare-knuckle fighters would actually try to block with their heads.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

McNerd posted:

Hahah I love this aspergian analysis of the mass of a skull. So if someone had a really tiny head it would just float away when it gets punched right? Heads are attached to necks, the idea about headgear (whether or not its actually true in practice) is that your neck muscles are usually strong enough to brace your head in place and roll with the punches etc, but if you attach a big weight to the top of your head your goony pencil neck may not be used to it and your head will be snapping back and going wild with whiplash every time you get jabbed

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I like hunting for the liver off a spinning back kick. I find a really lazy, telegraphed turning kick will usually set up my opponent backing away from the kick and looking to rush in. Plant my foot, spin and send it right at their midsection.

It took me a while to be able to throw it accurately, quickly and then the same at different ranges but I get the feeling that if I was to throw one full force when needed it would fold someone.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
heavier gloves are harder to accelerate even if you disregard that there's more cushioning in the material, so I must strongly disagree with my fellow goon's F=MA utilization. we could get to the bottom of this by cutting up a pair of gloves, placing it in a vacuum and performing autofellatio.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Christoff posted:

Anyone ever ordered from Meister MMA?

http://www.meistermma.com/

I ordered the focus mitts from them last year. They were a good beginner buy - light, large target, durable and super cheap.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I just ordered a pair of wraps, anklets, and some of the blue board shorts. Even if they're half decent I'll be impressed considering the price.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Paul Pot posted:

Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think about how the HGL9 would limit my field of vision. The headgear you listed looks good, and I'll probably one.
Most the guys in the gym are pretty relaxed, so I'm not worried too worried about getting my head knocked off right away. I was looking for some options apart from the basic twins headgerar.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Stylewise (there was a heavy focus on this in the show), Traditional jujitsu & kickboxing (male) and BJJ (women's) won Norway's first televised MMA reality show. Go team pajamas disease hugging!

You may be able to see the finale fights here, but I dunno if it's open for international audiences
http://www.vg.no/sport/artikkel.php?artid=10065645
http://www.vg.no/sport/artikkel.php?artid=10053525

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 15, 2012

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

HEMA talk time!

Just returned from HEMAC Dijon XI, which is one of the bigger HEMA events out there, and was awesome. 4 days filled with various workshops, a tournament and drunken debauchery. Did any of the (...3?) other HEMA goons attend?

This year I mostly stuck to the grappling workshops, most of which were pretty good. Not much gets done with wrestling in my country (Holland) to begin with, so the hardcore Ringen workshop was a pretty fun change of pace. Also, every workshop liked to do a million squats, that was less than ideal, holy crap. Found myself at a beginner's workshop of Fiore's Abrazare, wristlocks etc, which was fun but we've covered this material at my group for years now, so kind of a waste. Also got to test out a bunch of new gear, several Federswords, the new SPAS vests, etc. Sadly, someone from my group bought 2 Peter Rygenjek(?) feders which proceeded to get bent before the day was out, so that sucked.

Also got to refine some dagger work under Colin Richards, who remains a magnificent bastard and awesome instructor, and did some very weird workshop called "Fight for your Life" where they wanted to simulate the stress and nastyness that went paired with fencing with sharp steel weapons. Analyzing the wounds people received during single-touch sparring fights, followed by taking a few of us aside, prepping the crowd to act in a certain way and having us fight while there was stuff at stake. 2 people bet their swords, 2 people fought to not have to run a gauntlet, and apparently my fight "for honour" meant "the loser gets a rubber cock in his mouth for the rest of the workshop." Probably shouldn't have extended my hand for a friendly handshake before the bout, there. Other guy was really affected by the stress of the fight and hit me in the head, can't wait for the cock pictures. And we got to do some test cutting afterwards, which is always fun.

The tournament, however, was a massive steaming pile of poo poo. First there were the qualifying rounds, which meant finding your opponents and a random judge yourself, then fighting to the first hit. I started off with a double KO because of the other guy's recklessness, then swept the rest of my pool. Would have qualified, except they decided to add another person to the pool after all the fights were done, whom I beat, but gave the runner-up from my pool enough points to catch up to me. Despite losing half his fights. So, that sucked.

Then the tourney started properly. And we found out the judges, all the judges, were completely retarded, not (properly) trained, blatantly not calling clean hits that the fighters themselves showed, blind, and just generally being incompetent. There was one guy from my group fighting, it was to a 2 point advantage, and the fight went on for about 15 minutes before it resulted in a double KO, audience groaning all the way because of all the lovely calls. You know it's bad when the organizer tells people to lay off the judges during the semi-finals. Nobody, not the judges, the audience nor the fighters, was happy with the tournament, and it went on *forever* Point sparring, man.

Sunday I just spent all day challenging people to fights and trying out new weapons and whatever, which was awesome. Unfortunately with 10m on the clock I was gonna wrestle some other Dutch guy I didn't know, who proceeded to first slam in a wristlock at full power with his bodyweight behind it, almost broke my wrist. And because I'm dumb and didn't immediately back off after that, he threw me, grabbed me in a headlock and fell with his full weight straight on my neck. What a cock. So now my neck and upper back hurt like gently caress, any tips besides ibuprofen, massage and checking with a doctor/physical therapist if the pain persists?

Aside from the tourney and almost becoming a cripple, it was awesome, though.

E; Here's me totally cutting the poo poo out of a water bottle, see if you can spot why this is a horrible blow:

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 15, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Overlong badly judged tournaments is pretty much a combat sport tradition. That all sounds pretty cool, I'd love to do like a Saturday workshop on sword/dagger fighting. Especially since you can actually go at it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

NovemberMike posted:

The old bare-knuckle fighters would actually try to block with their heads.

I know some older boxers who also blocked and taugh to with the forehead. A friend who was learned to do so just started slipping after walking out from the gym with a headache two consecutive months... Some of them walk a little weird and speak slurred today.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
Here is some research on headgear:

http://wwww.asbweb.org/conferences/2006/pdfs/242.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rhaka posted:

HEMA talk time!
Always like it when you HEMA guys pop in.

Rhaka posted:

The tournament, however, was a massive steaming pile of poo poo. First there were the qualifying rounds, which meant finding your opponents and a random judge yourself, then fighting to the first hit. I started off with a double KO because of the other guy's recklessness, then swept the rest of my pool. Would have qualified, except they decided to add another person to the pool after all the fights were done, whom I beat, but gave the runner-up from my pool enough points to catch up to me. Despite losing half his fights. So, that sucked.

Man dude, that's really not cool. Why no love for victories above all else? I'm assuming that seedings were done by indicator or hits landed, based on the runner-up tying with you (or, gasp, overtaking you).

Rhaka posted:

...Badly trained judges...

I'm sure it don't help to hear, but it happens everywhere. At the last tourney I went to, one of my teammates forced the assigned ref for pools to only monitor the bouts. A fencer not in the match was then allowed to do the actual directing.

Rhaka posted:

E; Here's me totally cutting the poo poo out of a water bottle, see if you can spot why this is a horrible blow:

My first instinct is the your elbow's too far outside. Also, you don't look like you solid planted or something, your stance just looks a little loose. And, finally, you've got a stupid look on your face that screams "Yep, I blew that one!"

• Locked thread