Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ugh, StudioCanal.

StudioCanal isn't entirely at fault. Lionsgate is run by executives that openly dislike older films, including one that claimed "old movies don't sell unless they star John Wayne". And they didn't even give his films that decent of a treatment when they had control over Republic Pictures releases.

Although, they didn't have to go with the highest bidder. They have control over distribution of their films in the UK and France, so they probably didn't expect the complete lack of interest. It's important to note that the titles held by SC worldwide only require Lionsgate to take care of actual manufacturing and distribution. They literally don't have to spend a dime on remastering or authoring.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Amazon have the individual seasons of Battlestar Galactica on sale for under $20 each, or $97.85 for the lot.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

StudioCanal isn't entirely at fault. Lionsgate is run by executives that openly dislike older films, including one that claimed "old movies don't sell unless they star John Wayne". And they didn't even give his films that decent of a treatment when they had control over Republic Pictures releases.

Although, they didn't have to go with the highest bidder. They have control over distribution of their films in the UK and France, so they probably didn't expect the complete lack of interest. It's important to note that the titles held by SC worldwide only require Lionsgate to take care of actual manufacturing and distribution. They literally don't have to spend a dime on remastering or authoring.

I edited my post accordingly.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

...all Region B UK releases by StudioCanal. :argh:

Suck it, Yankee dogs

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Did somebody post something? I couldn't see over all the Criterion movies stacked in front of my TV. :smugbert:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Welp, Lionsgate just announced Grand Illusion for July 31.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If they're so worried about sales, why not just release the SC movies as budget titles and/or multipacks?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

WickedIcon posted:

If they're so worried about sales, why not just release the SC movies as budget titles and/or multipacks?

They did this for DVD for a lot of films, but not for Blu-Ray so far. Which is unfortunate since it seems like StudioCanal has a lot of HD transfers on the shelf, whether they're suitable for Blu or not.

It's clear that with careful mastering, it's possible to fit 4-5 hours of video on a BD-50 without serious quality issues. On top of that, non-16x9 films (such as 4x3 or 2.35:1 films) take up less space because the letter/pillarbox bars don't hog up bitrate like on MPEG2 compression.

That's one reason why all those holiday-themed discs from Warner are obnoxious. They released a 3-disc box set of Peanuts specials that would have fit on one BD-50.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WickedIcon posted:

If they priced them cheap, they wouldn't come off as prestige!

If I remember right, the whole reason they took the SC movies back from Criterion was so they could do their own little competing collection. Only problem is they suck at doing transfers and they are asking too much for what they are selling.

Warner has the same problem with the latter. Instead of opening the floodgates and releasing a ton of really cheap versions of classic movies, they would rather do giant xx anniversary boxsets.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 10, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Who is it that's preventing a Blacula Blu-ray from existing so I can direct my rage at them?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

Who is it that's preventing a Blacula Blu-ray from existing so I can direct my rage at them?

According to Wikipedia it was produced by AIP who were bought by Filmways, then Orion, then MGM. I think MGM's finances are still a bit ofa mess, so unless they start selling rights off to parts of their catalog it will probably be a while.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

According to Wikipedia it was produced by AIP who were bought by Filmways, then Orion, then MGM. I think MGM's finances are still a bit ofa mess, so unless they start selling rights off to parts of their catalog it will probably be a while.

Yeah, MGM shows that (and a ton of other movies) on their HD channel. I watched Blacula/Foxy Brown and I thought they looked pretty good considering the source.

I would love for them to release a blaxploitation (or I guess their brand, Soul Cinema) boxset. They have the rights to a bunch of them.

Across 110th Street (UA)
Black Caesar (AIP)
Black Mama, White Mama (AIP)
Blacula (AIP)
Bucktown (AIP)
Coffy (AIP)
Cooley High (1975) (AIP)
Cornbread, Earl and Me (AIP)
Cotton Comes to Harlem (UA)
Five on the Black Hand Side (UA)
Foxy Brown (AIP)
Friday Foster (AIP)
Hammer (1972) (UA)
Hell Up in Harlem (AIP)
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988) (UA)
J. D.'s Revenge (AIP)
The Monkey Hustle(AIP)
Original Gangstas (1996) (Orion)
Scream Blacula Scream (AIP)
Sheba, Baby (AIP)
Slaughter (AIP)
Slaughter's Big Rip-Off (AIP)
Truck Turner (1975) (AIP)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 10, 2012

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Some of those really need upgrades too. I have the entire Soul Cinema collection and there's few things more frustrating than watching full frame version of Hammer. Truck Turner and Coffy on Blu would be fantastic. They're my favorites out of all the MGM Soul Cinema titles.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com confirmed Olive Films announcement for Johnny Guitar and Rio Grande for release on August 7th. Johnny Guitar has an intro by Martin Scorsese, Rio Grande has a making-of and trailer. Both are remastered from archival 35mm prints.

It's looking like Olive Films' current model is to release two Republic films every two weeks. At this rate, they'll have more of their library released on DVD within one year than Lionsgate/Artisan released during the 15 years of their license.

Also, Fox's Walmart-exclusive The Big Trail has both the 2.10:1 65mm version and 1.20:1 35mm version in 1080p. The screenshots on Blu-Ray.com look quite good.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 11, 2012

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's May 11, 2012, and we are no closer to Bad Boys II on Blu-Ray than when the format launched. What exactly the gently caress is Sony thinking?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You know what needs a blu-ray release? Death Becomes Her. It's got Bruce Willis playing way against type, Meryl Streep chewing up the scenery as his horrible wife, a great whacky premise, and oscar winning visual effects that were pretty ahead of their time (and still hold up). Plus it's just plain hilarious. The most recent video release this got was a lovely fullscreen DVD with a mediocre picture. And once again there exists a nice HD transfer that they just don't bother releasing on blu-ray. It really is a shamefully overlooked movie.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

It's May 11, 2012, and we are no closer to Bad Boys II on Blu-Ray than when the format launched. What exactly the gently caress is Sony thinking?

...wait, that seriously isn't on Blu-Ray? You'd think it'd be a pretty obvious thing to release. :psyberger:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CPL593H posted:

You know what needs a blu-ray release? Death Becomes Her. It's got Bruce Willis playing way against type, Meryl Streep chewing up the scenery as his horrible wife, a great whacky premise, and oscar winning visual effects that were pretty ahead of their time (and still hold up). Plus it's just plain hilarious. The most recent video release this got was a lovely fullscreen DVD with a mediocre picture. And once again there exists a nice HD transfer that they just don't bother releasing on blu-ray. It really is a shamefully overlooked movie.

I watched this on Starz like half a year ago, and I really loved it. It was such an odd movie, but like you said, it's genuinely hilarious. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, though. It's very odd.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

I watched this on Starz like half a year ago, and I really loved it. It was such an odd movie, but like you said, it's genuinely hilarious. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, though. It's very odd.

It's just weird to me how it was so easily forgotten despite that it was a big hit movie, it has A-list stars, and groundbreaking visual effects. One would think that would have been better remembered. But I guess you're right about it being weird. But that's why I love it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Hell On Wheels Season 1 preorder dropped down to $22.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0075FF5U8

Comes out in three days.

------

Some new release news, two Jimi Hendrix titles (Voodoo Child/Live At Berkley) are coming out July 10th from Sony Music.

Bound is getting released by Olive Films on August 7th. I saw the French version and it should be a must buy (I really enjoyed it and the transfer was fantastic)

If you thought A Serbian Film was too fake for you, weird/not simulated The Bunny Game is getting an American release from Autonomy Pictures. It seems to be their first release. Comes out July 17th

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So you guys were just going to not tell me that Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie was getting a Bluray release next month?

Come on guys...

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Will this be a good blu-ray of This Island Earth? Like, I can't see the point unless the whole thing is well-restored.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So you guys were just going to not tell me that Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie was getting a Bluray release next month?

Come on guys...

It's too much to hope that Universal will have the deleted material there, right? Or, really, any extras?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's too much to hope that Universal will have the deleted material there, right? Or, really, any extras?

"MediumRare Entertainment have announced the UK home entertainment release of Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie on 11 June 2012. The big screen version of the comedy sci-fi TV series comes to DVD and Blu-ray with extras including a making-of, trailer and stills gallery."

Goddammit, deleted scenes: YES or NO! :argh:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Mel Brooks Collection dropped down to $48.98 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B007LNBS2I

That's 5.44 a movie (Blazing Saddles/High Anxiety/History of the World: Part I/Robin Hood: Men in Tights/Silent Movie/Spaceballs/To Be or Not to Be/Twelve Chairs/Young Frankenstein)

I think this is a rerelease in different packaging then the original.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

"MediumRare Entertainment have announced the UK home entertainment release of Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie on 11 June 2012. The big screen version of the comedy sci-fi TV series comes to DVD and Blu-ray with extras including a making-of, trailer and stills gallery."

Goddammit, deleted scenes: YES or NO! :argh:

Will this be a region free disc?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Who knows. As far I can ascertain MediumRare Entertainment have never released a Blu-Ray before. It could even be a 25fps 1080i50 master.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

Sporadic posted:

The Mel Brooks Collection dropped down to $48.98 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B007LNBS2I

That's 5.44 a movie (Blazing Saddles/High Anxiety/History of the World: Part I/Robin Hood: Men in Tights/Silent Movie/Spaceballs/To Be or Not to Be/Twelve Chairs/Young Frankenstein)

I think this is a rerelease in different packaging then the original.

Finally. I hate buying these ridiculously oversized boxes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Louis Feulliade's Les Vampires - August 14

New HD remaster from Gaumont's 35mm restoration with a new score by the Mont Alto Orchestra.

Blu-Ray.com also reports Josef von Sternberg's The Blue Angel as coming soon on August 31st, but as a German UFA release. It'll probably be region free, but a US Kino Lorber release will probably happen eventually.

Clue - August 7th
Exactly the same as the DVD - option to watch with a random ending, the "triple ending" VHS/TV version, and the trailer.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 16, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This one dropped down to $5.99 on Amazon. Pretty good for two movies.

Sporadic posted:

Grand Duel/Keoma - $9.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B007NYZ9YI

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
So... is the consensus still to go with a PS3 for blu-ray playing? Someone asked me for advice on a player and I think a PS3 is a little out of their price range. I was hoping for a device that has Hulu streaming and, ideally, is wifi-capable, from $100-$150. But I haven't found a single one online without a ton of reviews from people saying they lock up and don't stream or they break in a few months. I generally like LG but the reviews for their players are terrible.

Any tips?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

sighnoceros posted:

So... is the consensus still to go with a PS3 for blu-ray playing? Someone asked me for advice on a player and I think a PS3 is a little out of their price range. I was hoping for a device that has Hulu streaming and, ideally, is wifi-capable, from $100-$150. But I haven't found a single one online without a ton of reviews from people saying they lock up and don't stream or they break in a few months. I generally like LG but the reviews for their players are terrible.

Any tips?

Panasonic players are good in my experience. You can definitely get one for under 150 that has wifi and streams Hulu, Netflix, etc. I haven't had any problems and love mine.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

sighnoceros posted:

Any tips?

Um, no. It hasn't been the consensus for a long time unless you also want to buy/play console games.

Here's a Sony 3D capable Blu-Ray player with built-in wifi for $139 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006U1YUZE

It seems like it fits everything you are looking for.

- edit Or here's a Panasonic player for $4 less

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00752R4PK

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 19, 2012

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I don't know if Panasonic still does it or not, but my player limits a netflix show to 100 episodes and the netflix app itself is really lovely anyway.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

metallicaeg posted:

I don't know if Panasonic still does it or not, but my player limits a netflix show to 100 episodes and the netflix app itself is really lovely anyway.

Weird, I've never seen any limits on mine. I bought mine because the reviews said it had the least lovely interface for streaming apps. All blu-ray players suck, but this one sucks a little less than others: http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players/panasonic-dmp-bdt220/4505-9991_7-35120314.html?tag=rb_content;contentBody

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've had the Panny BDT210 for about a year and am extremely happy with it. It's got built in wi-fi, 3D, all the streaming services I need, excellent upconversion, and it loads almost as fast as the PS3. It's about $200 right now on Amazon. Slightly higher than your budget, but it's well worth the extra $50.

EDIT: Oh, and I've never had Netflix limit any shows to 100 episodes. That's just nutty.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I hope this is the thread to ask, but I heard a rumor that the Universal Monster movies are getting a blu-ray release. Does anyone have an exact or approximate date?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vincent posted:

I hope this is the thread to ask, but I heard a rumor that the Universal Monster movies are getting a blu-ray release. Does anyone have an exact or approximate date?

The current rumor is it's going to be a boxset and release around Halloween this year. Everything beyond that is speculation so far.

- edit Actually I just remembered that Universal said this awhile back

quote:

Major Film Restoration Commitment
Universal will restore 13 films over the course of the centennial year. The restoration effort includes the following films: All Quiet on the Western Front, The Birds, Buck Privates, Dracula (1931), Dracula Spanish (1931), Frankenstein, Jaws, Schindler's List, Out of Africa, Pillow Talk, Bride of Frankenstein, The Sting and To Kill a Mockingbird.

So I think it's safe to assume that the boxset will have those four movies at bare minimum.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 19, 2012

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

caiman posted:

I've had the Panny BDT210 for about a year and am extremely happy with it. It's got built in wi-fi, 3D, all the streaming services I need, excellent upconversion, and it loads almost as fast as the PS3. It's about $200 right now on Amazon. Slightly higher than your budget, but it's well worth the extra $50.

EDIT: Oh, and I've never had Netflix limit any shows to 100 episodes. That's just nutty.
On some Bluray players it only lists 100 episodes at a time, but if you start watching the show, the ones you've already watched disappear and slowly more and more episodes are added to the end (I hope that makes sense). If you want to watch a specific episode that's past the 100 listed, just watch a few minutes off the 100th episode and more should pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vincent posted:

If it's like prior DVD and VHS releases of them in the late 90s~2000s, I'd expect Dracula to be out in like September/August and the rest to drop around Halloween along with a box of all of them.

Speaking of which it's been a few years, I think we're about due for an insultingly awful Exorcist triple pack again.

• Locked thread