Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kudosx posted:

I Even though I enjoyed Hog Heaven a bunch, I'm still super hesitant about picking up Behemoth. $16-$17 for a single bottle of beer is pretty crazy, so I'll probably end up just picking up some bigfoot instead.

Personally, I love Behemoth but it's a little different than a traditional BW. Much more on the hoppy side and lighter in color. I'd recommend trying it at some point but it is a little pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eulcedes
Aug 10, 2002

Ty vole!!

Aumuller posted:

Hm, no - I didn't even notice a mobile beer truck, so I guess they didn't have it on Friday.

on friday it was right next to the entrance :) they moved it on saturday to the back by the smoking area, before you got to the pissers.

i was hoping for the mikkeller 19 to be tapped, but alas no...
did you try their Beer Geek Breakfast with Black Tea ?? Weirdest beer for me at the entire festival.

Are you going to the Borefts festival in September?

Eulcedes fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 14, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Oh man, for craft beer week a local bar is tapping a keg of Firestone Parabola. On what happens to be my last day at my current job. I am so there.

I'm sure it will be something retarded like $10 for 8oz :v:

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..

Eulcedes posted:

on friday it was right next to the entrance :) they moved it on saturday to the back by the smoking area, before you got to the pissers.

i was hoping for the mikkeller 19 to be tapped, but alas no...
did you try their Beer Geek Breakfast with Black Tea ?? Weirdest beer for me at the entire festival.

Are you going to the Borefts festival in September?

Ah, I guess I missed it when I came in and was already too drunk to notice when I walked past it again ;)

I did not try the tea breakfast as people around me thought it was horrible, however the Mikkeller 19 was on tap thursday at his bar, but I only had time to try a single pint, so I went with 3Fs Zombie Dust instead, which was well worth it.

I'm just a poor student here in Copenhagen, so the only reason I could afford to go to CBC was that it was literally next door to me, so I probably won't be able to afford going to Borefts, even though it sounds nice.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
When oh when is Summer Love coming to northern va :(

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

Oh man, for craft beer week a local bar is tapping a keg of Firestone Parabola. On what happens to be my last day at my current job. I am so there.

I'm sure it will be something retarded like $10 for 8oz :v:

Worth it. Probably the 2nd best bourbon-aged stout on the planet.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Wish I'd done more reading on craft beer week week, since I'd have tried to go volunteer for this event. Not seeing much else as far as tappings, etc that look to be worth the money in my area.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Good to know. I've been watching Chicago stores like a hawk for when it hits.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

danbanana posted:

What's your pick for number one? Parabola's easily my favorite and I've had quite a few.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Whisker Biscuit posted:

What's your pick for number one? Parabola's easily my favorite and I've had quite a few.

Goose Island pretty much invented the style in the U.S. and Bourbon County Stout is still the standard, if you ask me. The only less-than-stellar variation I've had is the Bramble, but that's almost entirely a different beer than the others. Rare is probably the best beer I've ever drank. Vanilla isn't far off. And the standard version is just... amazing.

crazyfish posted:

Good to know. I've been watching Chicago stores like a hawk for when it hits.

Last year, Maria's in Bridgeport, Poor Phil's in Oak Park, and Twisted Spoke (Ogden and Grand) all had it on tap. I know this because in 2 days, I had at least one at each place. I snagged a bottle somewhere along the line, thinking that it seemed pretty common. Drank it, then couldn't find it again (though a friend scored another one for me a while later). In the last year, the demand for stuff like this has shot through the roof, though, so I have a feeling it'll be a little bigger deal, kind of like BCS.

Bondii
May 31, 2003
King of The Cider Farm
Are there any micro-brewers amongst you all that live in the New England area? I'm a TV Production grad student and I'm doing my thesis as a documentary about the micro-brewing industry. A fellow grad student put me in touch with a few people, but I'm looking to branch out. I'd love to pick some minds about their struggles and stories.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Oh god the Saucer is doing a Founders tap takeover on Thursday for Craft Beer Week, with Better Half, Backwoods Bastard, and KBS.

...And I have to close at work. :suicide:

(I guess I'll console myself with the fact that I caught KBS last year, although it's small consolation indeed.)

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Goose Island pretty much invented the style in the U.S. and Bourbon County Stout is still the standard, if you ask me. The only less-than-stellar variation I've had is the Bramble, but that's almost entirely a different beer than the others. Rare is probably the best beer I've ever drank. Vanilla isn't far off. And the standard version is just... amazing.

Last year, Maria's in Bridgeport, Poor Phil's in Oak Park, and Twisted Spoke (Ogden and Grand) all had it on tap. I know this because in 2 days, I had at least one at each place. I snagged a bottle somewhere along the line, thinking that it seemed pretty common. Drank it, then couldn't find it again (though a friend scored another one for me a while later). In the last year, the demand for stuff like this has shot through the roof, though, so I have a feeling it'll be a little bigger deal, kind of like BCS.

Revolution is having a guest tap takeover for FW on the 21st and while they haven't announced it, I'm pretty sure that Parabola and Sucaba are both going to be tapped. Which rules because Revolution is in stumbling distance of my apartment.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

Revolution is having a guest tap takeover for FW on the 21st and while they haven't announced it, I'm pretty sure that Parabola and Sucaba are both going to be tapped. Which rules because Revolution is in stumbling distance of my apartment.

They announced it. Sucaba is going to be in 22oz bottles, but Parabola 2011 is going to be on.

http://chibeerweek.com/event/?eid=275

The real thing you don't want to miss is Owen & Engine doing a Boulevard event with some Saison-Brett!

http://chibeerweek.com/event/?eid=164

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ShaneB posted:

They announced it. Sucaba is going to be in 22oz bottles, but Parabola 2011 is going to be on.

http://chibeerweek.com/event/?eid=275

poo poo, there's no way I get out there for that before Parabola's gone.

I had a free ticket to Mash Tun that I had to give up due to another commitment. Pretty solid list, too...

Overall, there's cool stuff going on this year. Brixie's is going to have Black Note on tap...

EDIT: And since I just thought of it, I will say this: I think Black Note is better than Parabola. So I guess Parabola is my 3rd favorite bourbon-aged stout. But Black Note is so limited (~1000 bottles a year) that it's practically non-existent.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Yo Black Xantus is the poo poo.

Turtlepants
Feb 4, 2007
Doctor
Throwback to an earlier post:

Here's "Crafty" Episode 2: Ballast Point Brewing Co.: http://youtu.be/hwbY9QMFLG8

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Turtlepants posted:

Throwback to an earlier post:

Here's "Crafty" Episode 2: Ballast Point Brewing Co.: http://youtu.be/hwbY9QMFLG8

For someone like me who lives out on the East Coast, keep these videos coming. Really enjoying seeing some West Coast breweries that I'd normally never get a chance to see. Good work!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

air- posted:

Wish I'd done more reading on craft beer week week, since I'd have tried to go volunteer for this event. Not seeing much else as far as tappings, etc that look to be worth the money in my area.

the scene here is kinda weak this year, but i'm looking forward to Thursday, when Mekong will be tapping at least nine or ten kegs from 2009 (FBS, Expedition Stout, DFH Fort, Smuttynose barleywine, Curieux, Yeti, etc). gonna show up early to see if i can get another five-for-one deal.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Even though I grew up an hour and change from Chicago, I had my first ever Goose Island today, Sofie.

After I drank some of it, I looked it up on RateBeer, and to be honest it really seems more like a fruited triple to me than like a saison.

Either way, it was a tasty beer, and I'm glad that Goose Island is finally available so far away.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Even though I grew up an hour and change from Chicago, I had my first ever Goose Island today, Sofie.

After I drank some of it, I looked it up on RateBeer, and to be honest it really seems more like a fruited triple to me than like a saison.

Either way, it was a tasty beer, and I'm glad that Goose Island is finally available so far away.

Good pick for your first. IMO Sofie is the best of their year-rounds. Never had it aged though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Munkaboo posted:

When oh when is Summer Love coming to northern va :(

One thing I love about being in New Jersey is access to Victory very easily.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Drinking a Stone IRS for the second time, in celebration of the release of Diablo 3. Yep, I'm a nerd.

This is definitely one of my favorite stouts, hard to say if I like this or FBS more. This is 100% my favorite non-coffee stout, sooooo drat delicious. I do love me some coffee though!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Same state, same beer, same game :hf:

e: V :hf:

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 15, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Hypnolobster posted:

Same state, same beer, same game :hf:

And we probably both' can't log in right now :(

e: Woops. Forgot I'm in the beer thread and shouldn't sway the subject. In other news, I tried Palate Wrecker today, and it complete destroyed my palate, the name is very fitting. I thought it had wonderful flavor, but the bitterness in the aftertaste was quite astounding.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 15, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Edit: Hahaha, that makes three of us.

funkybottoms posted:

the scene here is kinda weak this year, but i'm looking forward to Thursday, when Mekong will be tapping at least nine or ten kegs from 2009 (FBS, Expedition Stout, DFH Fort, Smuttynose barleywine, Curieux, Yeti, etc). gonna show up early to see if i can get another five-for-one deal.

Holy poo poo, my plans for Thursday just cleared up real fast.

Unrelated, but I popped my Rodenbach Grand Cru in honor of this morning's auspicious DDOS on a certain software company's servers. Probably should've read the label first, as I wasn't expecting what I got. A pleasant surprise, for sure, but also completely palate-destroying to work through on your own. Maybe it's just the specimens that I've had before, but I was expecting a Grand Cru to have some pronounced brett. This was more like just a Flemish red or brown which (reading it after I popped the cork, of course) is apparently the case. Really nice lingering sourness, though the sweetness was a bit cloying to finish an entire 750. Glad I had it, though, and I'd gladly have it again. Just in smaller quantities, of course.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
Split a 4 pack of Hoptimums and another 4 pack of Palate Wreckers with a friend a couple weeks ago. I've had Hoptimum before and it was a little sweet like I remember it being, but very good nonetheless. The Palate Wrecker was amazing though. The aroma was one of the things that struck me first. Great body and bitterness. Both of the beers mask their strength very well.

Also had a Simtra by Knee Deep Brewing which I had never had before, but was recommended to me by a friend. Now this stuff was crazy. The other two were easily drinkable and enjoyable. The Simtra on the other hand was more of a sipping beer and was quite a bit hotter without being boozy.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Holy poo poo, my plans for Thursday just cleared up real fast.

5/17- Firkin night @ Station 2 featuring pins from O'Connor Brewing:
Rad Nun- Red Nun Red Ale infused with Raspberries
Brutella- Great Dismal Black IPA infused with Peanut Butter, Nutella, Chopped Hazelnuts and Dry-roasted Peanuts

mildly interested in this, but i live really drat close, so that helps.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

That Brutella sounds pretty amazing. Nuts in beer can go either way, though; Shorts can't seem to figure it out, but other places have done interesting things.

Casual Yogurt posted:

Yo Black Xantus is the poo poo.
This is a correct opinion.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

bartolimu posted:

Black Xantus
This is a correct opinion.

Thirding this opinion. Aside from Beer Geek Brunch, I don't think I've had a more velvety smooth coffee stout. Low coffee bitterness with a ton of coffee flavor

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

bartolimu posted:

That Brutella sounds pretty amazing. Nuts in beer can go either way, though; Shorts can't seem to figure it out, but other places have done interesting things.

this dude (one of the two guys from my high school who run breweries, what the hell?) has a few mediocre beers, but he made an 8% Irish stout with cinnamon, raisins, and currants that was drat good, so it should be worth a taste.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Went to the bar last night and had a Liefmans Oud Bruin, Unibroue Chamblay, Goose Island Matilda, and a Left Hand Milk Stout. I then found out the Milk Stout was only $3 for the nitro pours so I sat at the bar til close. I had a great night.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Midorka posted:

One thing I love about being in New Jersey is access to Victory very easily.
Victory is my favorite brewery, I've never had something by them that I haven't liked. They make by far the best American-made pilsner with Prima Pils. I haven't picked up a Summer Love yet, though.

NYC beer lovers: there's a second Pony Bar opening on the Upper East Side today. I'll be there at around happy hour (4:20-5:20) if you want to join me. I'll be wearing a striped polo shirt.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 15, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Y-Hat posted:

Victory is my favorite brewery, I've never had something by them that I haven't liked. They make by far the best American-made pilsner with Prima Pils. I haven't picked up a Summer Love yet, though.

NYC beer lovers: there's a second Pony Bar opening on the Upper East Side today. I'll be there at around happy hour (4:20-5:20) if you want to join me. I'll be wearing a striped polo shirt.

What do you think of Victory's Headwater Pale Ale?

I always found most victory beers to be solid representations of a style, but nothing really spectacular. Old Horizontal is an exception, that is one of my favorite barleywines.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

escape artist posted:

I always found most victory beers to be solid representations of a style, but nothing really spectacular. Old Horizontal is an exception, that is one of my favorite barleywines.

Headwaters is amazing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ShaneB posted:

Headwaters is amazing.

How would you compare it to other quality pale ales, such as Dale's or Sierra Nevada's? A bit more balanced in terms of hops/malts than the others, which seem a bit hop heavy?

Midorka posted:

Went to the bar last night and had a Liefmans Oud Bruin, Unibroue Chamblay, Goose Island Matilda, and a Left Hand Milk Stout. I then found out the Milk Stout was only $3 for the nitro pours so I sat at the bar til close. I had a great night.

Sounds like you had a nice evening. Blanche de Chamblay is my favorite witbier, and Left Hand Milk Stout is a treat, too.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

escape artist posted:

How would you compare it to other quality pale ales, such as Dale's or Sierra Nevada's? A bit more balanced in terms of hops/malts than the others, which seem a bit hop heavy?

Sounds like you had a nice evening. Blanche de Chamblay is my favorite witbier, and Left Hand Milk Stout is a treat, too.

Definitely more similar to a Sierra Nevada than a Dale's

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Munkaboo posted:

Agreed. Honestly, I have a tough time even calling Dale's an APA with a straight face. It is an IPA in everything but name.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Munkaboo posted:

It's far more malty than either. It's closest to red chair from Deschutes IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

escape artist posted:

I do not like it at all, reminded me a lot of tea. I much prefer Dale's or Sierra Nevada.

I'm drinking a Stone Cali-Belgique IPA now and I can't help but think that it reminds me a lot of a witbier.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 16, 2012