Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just finished the asylum mission and I iced the wraith and turned the two guys over to Laredo's terrifying mother. As far as I'm concerned, witchers are around to slay monsters, not indulge them, no matter how justified. Leave matters of justice up to what passes for civilization in this game's armpit of a world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Is there a good way to hack the Draugr armour fragment into my inventory? I picked one up early on in Act 2 and promptly died, then it didn't drop again.

This happened to me as well, I was able to eventually get a draugir fragment off of the Bullvore beneath Vergen on Roches path. I dont know if its something that randomly drops off Bullvores or if its only specific ones.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just finished up Chapter 2. Everything from breaking the curse on was intense as hell. I like that you can choose one path but still stay as neutral as possible on the war, if you really want. That section where you play as the assassin was poo poo, though. It kept instant failing me despite not stepping on anything.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 13, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oxxidation posted:

I just finished the asylum mission and I iced the wraith and turned the two guys over to Laredo's terrifying mother. As far as I'm concerned, witchers are around to slay monsters, not indulge them, no matter how justified. Leave matters of justice up to what passes for civilization in this game's armpit of a world.

This is exactly what I did too. As a Witcher I couldn't in good conscience hand them over to the Wraith and then hope he broke the curse, but I sure as gently caress wasn't letting those two get away with it. So I tried to trick the Wraith to avoid bloodshed, killed it when it didn't work then handed the two dudes over to what was obviously going to be very rough justice.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RBA Starblade posted:

Just finished up Chapter 2. Everything from breaking the curse on was intense as hell. I like that you can choose one path but still stay as neutral as possible on the war, if you really want. That section where you play as the assassin was poo poo, though. It kept instant failing me despite not stepping on anything.

You need to follow in your buddy's footsteps like he asks you to. But yeah that mission is a bit frustrating.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaal posted:

You need to follow in your buddy's footsteps like he asks you to. But yeah that mission is a bit frustrating.

That's what I ended up doing. I was also pretty okay with him killing Henselt and chopping Dethmold's balls off. That was pretty brutal. Not exactly sure how Triss played into everything for Letho at the end though. Did Letho just use her to get where he needed to then guard her at the end for Geralt? I thought she turned into a statue or something. I guess that's explained if you go the other route.

Also the Wild Hunt being elves from a parallel world reminds me a lot of the Black Company series' Shadowmasters and Khatovar, if anyone's read the Black Company.

I made a manual backup of my last save too since the Steam cloud couldn't handle Witcher 2's saves. I'd have a few gigabyte's worth at this point if I didn't delete them daily!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 14, 2012

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Not exactly sure how Triss played into everything for Letho at the end though. Did Letho just use her to get where he needed to then guard her at the end for Geralt?
Basically yeah. Letho used Triss but didnt really bear her any malice so he probably felt guilty leaving her at the mercy of the Nilfgaardians

quote:

I thought she turned into a statue or something.

Yup but its expanded more upon on Iorveths path. But the short of it is not anymore.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
This game is too short. I want more. I suppose I'll settle for playing again and making different decisions, and probably doing a whole lot more side-quests.

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.
Since the other Witcher 2 thread is now closed, I wanted to get this off my chest-

While looking for a translation of what Iorveth says in his dream, all I read on various forums/wikis was "LOL he just wants to be at peace an not a nomad, u kno?"

It's sad how no one caught the greater meaning in Iorveth's dream. He's constantly touted as this bloodthirsty murderer, and sure he's killed quite a few humans, but the dream shows that he's fairly pure at heart. He doesn't dream of murder or killing humans, he dreams of quiet reflection with a smile on his face.

For me, the dream was a reconciliation of why I picked Iorveth. I only picked his side because I didn't like Roche's ultimatums and absolutism. The dream affirmed that I made the right choice (for my first playthrough, at least).

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I've started another playthrough, with Iorveth this time.

However, Vergen is the most annoying and confusing town I've encountered in an RPG in a long time. For example, where the hell does Skalen Burdon hang out? He's not at the front gate like he is when going with Roche.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Skalen should be in the tavern.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way, were the Herbalist's Gloves an import item? Because I never took those things off. I could have switched for something else, but the alchemy and oil boosts seemed pretty good and more worthwhile.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, were the Herbalist's Gloves an import item? Because I never took those things off. I could have switched for something else, but the alchemy and oil boosts seemed pretty good and more worthwhile.
They were one of the old DLC items (along with the Blue Stripes Jacket and the Mage's Pants).

niff
Jul 4, 2010
The alchemy path looks sooo gooood but I find in the long story missions it is frustrating can not use the potions I have created - there is no space to meditate when you spawn right next to a gajillion monsters in order to get all poison-drunk bulletproof warrior monk and destroy them all. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

niff posted:

The alchemy path looks sooo gooood but I find in the long story missions it is frustrating can not use the potions I have created - there is no space to meditate when you spawn right next to a gajillion monsters in order to get all poison-drunk bulletproof warrior monk and destroy them all. :(

It also really sucks how you can bulk up on potions, chug them, then the game has a scripted event or two and now you don't have any, like at the end of Chapter 2. The potions really only ever helped me on contracts or side stuff. You really don't get a chance to prepare most times.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

CanAm posted:

Since the other Witcher 2 thread is now closed, I wanted to get this off my chest-

While looking for a translation of what Iorveth says in his dream, all I read on various forums/wikis was "LOL he just wants to be at peace an not a nomad, u kno?"

It's sad how no one caught the greater meaning in Iorveth's dream. He's constantly touted as this bloodthirsty murderer, and sure he's killed quite a few humans, but the dream shows that he's fairly pure at heart. He doesn't dream of murder or killing humans, he dreams of quiet reflection with a smile on his face.

For me, the dream was a reconciliation of why I picked Iorveth. I only picked his side because I didn't like Roche's ultimatums and absolutism. The dream affirmed that I made the right choice (for my first playthrough, at least).

I thought I remember reading that in the dream he's supposed to be high as gently caress and is reciting a list of ingredients for something. He's not dreaming of peace, dude just has the munchies.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So having completed my second playthrough, siding with Roche this time, I have to say the second run is far better. Knowing "how" to fight made a huge difference in the earlier fights, and knowing both sides of the story led to some interesting insights.

On the first run I did pretty much every pro-Triss choice, saving her in the end. It left me with a feeling that Geralt really didn't care about the world around him, just the people he related to. My second playthrough was all about which was the best political choice for the Northern Kingdoms, sparring Henselt (I thought that the more kings to actually hold the countries together against the Nilfgardians, the better) and giving the girl to Radovid. In the end it seemed that the north was far better prepared for the upcoming invasion than my first playthrough.

I do have one question though: the first scene in the game, where Geralt is running through the forest shirtless, before collapsing. When was that supposed to take place and how did it relate to the rest of the story?

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

ManSedan posted:

I do have one question though: the first scene in the game, where Geralt is running through the forest shirtless, before collapsing. When was that supposed to take place and how did it relate to the rest of the story?

That is the opening to the first game. Geralt reappears in the forest near Kaer Morhen as the Wild Hunt races through the sky. He's being chased by fellow Witchers who are surprised to see him alive.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ManSedan posted:

It's actually the same scene that opens Witcher 1. It's Geralt's first post-amnesia-onset memory, after his escape from the Wild Hunt.

Edit: Always beaten. Always.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 15, 2012

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
It's also what he mentions dreaming about to Triss in the tent during the prologue.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of which, I couldn't tell if Geralt (and Yennefer) actually died or they got better or what, since it cut to them on that island in his memories then the Wild Hunt shows up. Or is it like that sort of heroic story where he chases them down past death, coming back to life to do it?

Ungrateful Dead
May 13, 2012

Knocking at Paranoia's Poision Door
I decided to pick this up again after like a month of not playing.
Needless to say, I apparantly lost all skill whatsoever and am getting slaughtered every 5 seconds. So back to the beggining with me I suppose.

Also, could someone give me a list of the side quests that have a sub-plot or story to them, as opposed to "go to point a, kill monster b?" As much as I like to get the most out of my buck, I just don't see much point in completeing these quests. They're tedious, long, unrewarding, and just all around uninteresting.

And would it kill them to add some waypoints on the hives? Wandering the forest for an hour looking for them isn't exactly "fun."

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

As they spoke of after The Witcher 2 was released, CDP is working on a sequel as well as another RPG, using a different setting.

quote:

Our mature dark-fantasy world is well known around the world, though if you can’t stomach dwarves, elves or sorceresses who put their ample charms on display in Playboy magazine, we’ve got also something special that might be right up your alley! We’re looking for people who would rather work on an entirely new and different IP – a vast RPG for which we want to assemble the best possible staff. It represents an opportunity for you to create a grand new project from the ground up!

http://cdpred.com/

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So I just got to the operator in chapter 3. How the hell do I kill him? It's such a confined space and it's extremely difficult to dodge all the fires and monsters. Also he uses quen way too much. How do I remove it without being constantly stun locked?

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 15, 2012

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

GoldenNugget posted:

So I just got to the operator in chapter 3. How the hell do I kill him? It's such a confined space and it's extremely difficult to dodge all the fires and monsters. Also [spoiler]he uses quen way too much. How do I remove it without being constantly stun locked?[/spoiler[

That fight is highly optional. It's supposed to be maximum bullshit. You should use him for the free skill respec instead.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

GoldenNugget posted:

So I just got to the operator in chapter 3. How the hell do I kill him? It's such a confined space and it's extremely difficult to dodge all the fires and monsters. Also he uses quen way too much. How do I remove it without being constantly stun locked?

It's pretty tough on any difficulty besides Easy and requires a little luck no matter how buffed you are. His Quen only dissipates when you kill his gargoyle minions, allowing you to get a few hits in, then he'll summon more, repeat, etc. The thing to remember is that the gargoyles can do MUCH more damage than the Operator himself. They can kill you outright in a few hits, so you have to constantly be moving and it's probably a good idea to keep your Quen up. You could try using freeze traps and try to lure the gargoyles into them to kill them quickly, but other than that, just whatever it takes to stay alive.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

qbert posted:

It's pretty tough on any difficulty besides Easy and requires a little luck no matter how buffed you are. His Quen only dissipates when you kill his gargoyle minions, allowing you to get a few hits in, then he'll summon more, repeat, etc. The thing to remember is that the gargoyles can do MUCH more damage than the Operator himself. They can kill you outright in a few hits, so you have to constantly be moving and it's probably a good idea to keep your Quen up. You could try using freeze traps and try to lure the gargoyles into them to kill them quickly, but other than that, just whatever it takes to stay alive.

Also if you are not against more or less outright cheating You can save during the fight if the gargoyles are dead and the Operator is in the middle of a teleport

Robot Jelly
Jul 15, 2007

Bleep Blorp

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of which, I couldn't tell if Geralt (and Yennefer) actually died or they got better or what, since it cut to them on that island in his memories then the Wild Hunt shows up. Or is it like that sort of heroic story where he chases them down past death, coming back to life to do it?

This is explained in the last book of the series (or maybe the 2nd to last). Of course it isn't translated yet, so I'm not sure on the details. I'm going to spoiler this in case, but short answer is yes they did die but were brought back to life by Ciri.

Long answer (Pretty big spoilers for the books!):
Geralt died in the riots in Rivia, as did Yen while trying to save him. Ciri used her magic to resurrect them both and left them on that little paradise island and left for another dimension. Then the Wild Hunt came after Yennefer because they wanted to find Ciri. Geralt joined with Letho to find her, they do, and he trades himself for Yennefer (who knows why they accepted) and then somehow escapes and Witcher 1 happens.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They accepted because Geralt's a bad rear end dude, duh.

They pretty much say as much in the scene.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robot Jelly posted:

This is explained in the last book of the series (or maybe the 2nd to last). Of course it isn't translated yet, so I'm not sure on the details. I'm going to spoiler this in case, but short answer is yes they did die but were brought back to life by Ciri.

I get it now, thanks. I think the cutscenes left out the part where Ciri revives them and just skips to them on an island.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If I didn't buy the diagram for Draug armour before heading of to the Mist, expecting to be able to pick it up after I collected the ingredients, does that mean that I'm stuck with Hunter's until I get a Vran anything?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

After dispelling the mist you're railroaded into ending Chapter 2. And by the time you have access to someone who can craft again, you can immediately get all the required items for the Vran armor (provided you've been progressing the Mystic River quest) so the Draug armor is pretty pointless IMO.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 15, 2012

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Wiseblood posted:

After dispelling the mist you're railroaded into ending Chapter 2. And by the time you have access to someone who can craft again, you can immediately get all the required items for the Vran armor (provided you've been progressing the Mystic River quest) so the Draug armor is pretty pointless IMO.

Plus even if you cant make the Vran armor most of the other armor in chapter 3 is either equivalent to or better than the Draug armor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SpRahl posted:

Plus even if you cant make the Vran armor most of the other armor in chapter 3 is either equivalent to or better than the Draug armor.

I somehow missed all the armor in Chapter 3 so I just rolled with the Dun Banner armor or whatever it was called and it worked well enough once I started pumping talents into damage resistance.

e: Just looked online, how did I miss all of this? I'm usually pretty thorough in RPGs.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

RBA Starblade posted:

I somehow missed all the armor in Chapter 3 so I just rolled with the Dun Banner armor or whatever it was called and it worked well enough once I started pumping talents into damage resistance.

e: Just looked online, how did I miss all of this? I'm usually pretty thorough in RPGs.

The game gives you this false sense that everything has to been done right after another for the main story. The area is also set up poorly enough that it feels like there isn't any thing other than the main story.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Where does Cynthia run off to after the secrets of Loc Muinne quest? The dialogue mentions an inn, which I don't remember Loc Muinne having and the quest to talk with her doesn't have a marker.

Choice in quest: Killed the other mage, used device once if that matters.

Looking in my quest log, I also failed both Suspect: Thorak and The Walls have Ears despite looting the chest with the evidence before going back to the castle.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
yay I beat the chapter 3the operator on hard! Hard as hell but the saving during teleportation time helped immensely. I now have a pretty nifty staff :).

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

Where does Cynthia run off to after the secrets of Loc Muinne quest? The dialogue mentions an inn, which I don't remember Loc Muinne having and the quest to talk with her doesn't have a marker.

Choice in quest: Killed the other mage, used device once if that matters.

Looking in my quest log, I also failed both Suspect: Thorak and The Walls have Ears despite looting the chest with the evidence before going back to the castle.

The Inn is right next to the notice board. It's also very close to Bras of Ban Ard, the dude who helps you craft the Vran Armor and is the guy you turn in the gargoyle contract to. Also, congratulations you've given the Emperor of Nilfgaard Super Anthrax by letting Cynthia leave that lab alive. :v:

Did you loot the cup diagram from Thorak's house? You have to talk to the servant being guarded by the Scoia'tael for the Walls have Ears. I think you also have to go to Olcan's house and find evidence he wanted to kill Saskia.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Torsade de Pointes posted:

The Inn is right next to the notice board. It's also very close to Bras of Ban Ard, the dude who helps you craft the Vran Armor and is the guy you turn in the gargoyle contract to. Also, congratulations you've given the Emperor of Nilfgaard Super Anthrax by letting Cynthia leave that lab alive. :v:

Did you loot the cup diagram from Thorak's house? You have to talk to the servant being guarded by the Scoia'tael for the Walls have Ears. I think you also have to go to Olcan's house and find evidence he wanted to kill Saskia.

I pinged every room relevant to the quest and looted everything that showed up orange. The quest log says I've collected everything but none of it was damning evidence. I also found Cynthia, seemingly I just outran her on my way there and she showed up after doing From a Bygone Era.

I've also finished the game as a Magic user now and I'm not really impressed compared to Alchemy. Both are based on setting half the map on fire but Magic has it's incendiaries limited to a slowly refilling stock of 6-8 shots that don't leave ground fires, have a lower base incineration chance(and can't chain incinerate enemies to death with aforementioned fires), catch on every single piece of scenery imaginable, have a shorter range and can't over enemies to hit more then just the one ahead of the group. Furthermore, the sword damage is pitiful compared to Alchemy, further crippled by fatigue and the utility abilities are also far inferior. Alchemy has land mines that vaporise entire enemy packs, stun grenades for avoiding Rotfiend/Gargoyle explosions in confined spaces while Magic gets a knockback that blows groups apart so they're harder to set on fire, a stun mine that pulls groups apart so they're harder to set on fire, a mind control that rarely, if ever works and a single use automatic riposte that does little damage and more importantly limits fireball ammo to the amount of vigor left after casting and applies fatigue penalties too as long as it's active.

Summary: Go Alchemy on Dark mode if you want to be better at stunlocking and oneshotting than all your enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I just need a scoop of your blood...

• Locked thread