Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

2508084 posted:

I guess the "Is this going to kill me if I eat it" thread is gone? Is it good to eat cooked broccoli that got left out over night? I tried googling and got answers like "Brocolli is barely good when it is freshly cooked. Of course you cannot leave it out overnight." :geno:

Sniff it. If it still smells like cooked broccoli you should be fine. If there's a sour or "off" smell then chuck it. Leaving it out overnight shouldn't harm it any though its texture may suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thebigpicture posted:

You could also cut the chicken breasts in half and stuff them with cheese and spinach. Spinach is great wilted in olive oil and garlic.

I bought fiddleheads the other day, but I've never had them before. How should I cook them? Saute in garlic and olive oil? Bacon? Lemon juice? Thanks.

Mmmm, I haven't had fiddleheads since I moved to a big dirty city, so jealous. We used to just blanch them for a minute and then finish in a pan with a little oil and garlic. Very little lemon juice probably wouldn't be bad. Where did you find them, by the way?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Is there a catch-all term for uncooked sausage made from local game (turkey, duck, rabbit, deer) and produce (whatever is in season at the time, including non-traditional produce like berries)? I've taken to calling them farmer's sausages, because I usually buy them from local farmer's markets, but I dont think this is particularly correct. Would hunter's sausage be a better term?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

2508084 posted:

I guess the "Is this going to kill me if I eat it" thread is gone?

If I recall correctly, it just got closed one day with no explanation. Maybe a casualty of Whirled Peas?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

If I recall correctly, it just got closed one day with no explanation. Maybe a casualty of Whirled Peas?

To be fair, that thread could've been condensed down to the following response: Does it look like/smell like it will? If so throw out.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Well, there's always sneaky ones. Did you leave that rice out for two days on the counter? Smells fine, tastes fine, but SPIT THAT OUT AND THROW IT AWAY RIGHT NOW DAMMIT.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Well, there's always sneaky ones. Did you leave that rice out for two days on the counter? Smells fine, tastes fine, but SPIT THAT OUT AND THROW IT AWAY RIGHT NOW DAMMIT.

What I do that all the time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

haha, I left rice out in the the rice cooker for 2 and a half days two weeks ago, I'm still working on the leftovers from that batch. Smelled fine and looked fine today when I made fried rice. Still alive.

Edit: this is hardly the first, probably won't be the last, and likely is not the worst riceoffense I've done. I think people are just too sensitive. I've never gotten nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea from rice dishes.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 15, 2012

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Eh I've never died.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Well, the point was just that smell and taste are good for spotting bad food, but getting through the smell & taste test isn't an automatic pass. v:shobon:v

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Well, the point was just that smell and taste are good for spotting bad food, but getting through the smell & taste test isn't an automatic pass. v:shobon:v

True. But really, for this kind of thing, if you have to ask, don't eat it.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

RazorBunny posted:

Any suggestions for using a ton of sage? My sage plants are going crazy again this year. They have lovely purple blossoms right now, too, but sadly those don't taste like anything.

I also have a veritable forest of Greek oregano, but I already use fresh oregano in lots of things. I need to step it up a bit, though - it's starting to creep into where the parsley is, and I don't want it to crowd anything out.

This goes for pretty much any fresh herb -

Make some bundles of them, and hang them up for like a week or so to dry. I tie them to a broom handle with sting and balance it between two chairs/boxes. When they're totally dry, seperate leaves from stems and put the leaves in spice cans. I just planted this year's crop of herbs, and I still have like three or four cans left from last year.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I have a quick question. What are some good ways to prepare whole ears of corn without a grill? I recently got a ton of sweet corn because it was a great deal, but I don't want boiled corn on the cob all the time from it. I'd like to try something new even though all I've done is just boiling or grilling it in the past.

This feels dumb to be stumped about. :saddowns:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Fry it in butter with some black pepper and paprika

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

That does sound pretty good. I haven't fried corn before but i'm sure I could find a decent guide online. Thanks for the idea.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Koskinator posted:

This goes for pretty much any fresh herb -

Make some bundles of them, and hang them up for like a week or so to dry. I tie them to a broom handle with sting and balance it between two chairs/boxes. When they're totally dry, seperate leaves from stems and put the leaves in spice cans. I just planted this year's crop of herbs, and I still have like three or four cans left from last year.

The thing is that after I've done that AND pureed some to make herb butter, I still have a ton left. We are talking huge insane sage plants. And having dried stuff doesn't do me any good if I don't have any recipes to use it, which I really don't. I'll toss a couple leaves into a pot of stew or mince them up and use them on chicken, but it doesn't make a dent, thus why I need recipes rather than storage methods.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
Make some goat cheese and whatever ravioli and put a sage leaf in each ravioli on top of the filling. When you cook it and the pasta becomes semi-translucent you'll be able to see the sage leaf. It looks good and taste good.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

Chard posted:

Mmmm, I haven't had fiddleheads since I moved to a big dirty city, so jealous. We used to just blanch them for a minute and then finish in a pan with a little oil and garlic. Very little lemon juice probably wouldn't be bad. Where did you find them, by the way?

Thanks. That's what I thought.. keep it simple. I got them at my local supermarket Market Basket/Demoulas in Woburn, Massachusetts.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

Make some goat cheese and whatever ravioli and put a sage leaf in each ravioli on top of the filling. When you cook it and the pasta becomes semi-translucent you'll be able to see the sage leaf. It looks good and taste good.

That and the fried sage on pizza bianca sound really tasty. I was also reading something where they used fresh sage in jams and jellies, so I might experiment with that a bit. I wonder if it would be good in a pepper jelly? That was the biggest hit out of all the stuff I canned last summer, although I did get some requests for more heat this time around.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I accidentally cracked an egg this morning and immediately put it in a cup with foil in the fridge, how long can I keep it before it starts going off?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Jippa posted:

I accidentally cracked an egg this morning and immediately put it in a cup with foil in the fridge, how long can I keep it before it starts going off?

A couple of days tops. After that, toss it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've been eyeing the preps in the old Slow Cooker thread with a jealous eye, but my crock pot is kind of tiny. As I understand it, a crock pot brings food up to a relatively low temperature quite quickly, which means that if I'm cutting a recipe in, say, half, overall cooking time should remain relatively constant, right?

And if not, does anyone have a good way to estimate?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

I've been eyeing the preps in the old Slow Cooker thread with a jealous eye, but my crock pot is kind of tiny. As I understand it, a crock pot brings food up to a relatively low temperature quite quickly, which means that if I'm cutting a recipe in, say, half, overall cooking time should remain relatively constant, right?

And if not, does anyone have a good way to estimate?

Generally speaking. Most things you'd be making in a slow cooker are going to be extremely forgiving in terms of cooking time, anyway.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah, when your cooking window for optimal serving time is 6-8 hours, there's going to be a bit of leeway.

Depends on what you are making, but stews, soups, and chili are all likely to be fine if you halve the recipe and cook for the full time.

If you are slow cooking a big cut of meat, or doing a braise, then a good thermometer would be a wise investment. But in general you will be fine.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Going to the local farmers market this weekend to pick up some fresh fruit/veggies. Besides the obvious corn/potatoes/green beans, what are some vegetables that are fairly forgiving to a new cook and relatively easy to make? I'm in northern Cali, if you need a general idea of what's grown around me.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I just "inherited" two yellowfin tuna steaks and would like make them tonight (they're just about thawed).

Suggestions welcome for either pan searing or grilling, marinades or otherwise.

:respek:

Lullabee posted:

Going to the local farmers market this weekend to pick up some fresh fruit/veggies. Besides the obvious corn/potatoes/green beans, what are some vegetables that are fairly forgiving to a new cook and relatively easy to make? I'm in northern Cali, if you need a general idea of what's grown around me.

Asparagus should be available about now — I like throwing it directly on the grill with some salt, pepper and garlic powder — or just a quick boil so it maintains its crispiness.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
At what point do you have to salt the water when making pasta?

Before it starts to boil, afterwards, in the beginning? Does it really make that big of a difference?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any time before the pasta goes in.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The SARS Volta posted:

Suggestions welcome for either pan searing or grilling, marinades or otherwise.

Niçoise!

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Any time before the pasta goes in.

Ah, ok. I remember watching some Jamie Oliver show aeons ago, where he recommended adding salt before the water starts to boil. I thought maybe there's some physics reason to it, why you just couldn't add it at the start.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

midnightclimax posted:

Ah, ok. I remember watching some Jamie Oliver show aeons ago, where he recommended adding salt before the water starts to boil. I thought maybe there's some physics reason to it, why you just couldn't add it at the start.

I always add it before it goes on the heat, but physics wise there should be no difference on when you add it, as long as it dissolves before adding the pasta. Adding enough salt will actually raise the boiling point a couple degrees, but I don't think in general you add enough for it to have a big impact, nor do I think a temp difference of a couple degrees would change the outcome of the pasta.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Is this a chef's knife? I have never heard of a 'cook's knife' before. Or should I just get the Santoku listed below?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod5250044&selectedTab=allProducts

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod5250043&selectedTab=allProducts

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
How long does freshly made marinara sauce with meat in it keep for, in a jar in the fridge?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Captain Payne posted:

What's a good thing to do with a fair amount of breadcrumb?

Top some casseroles!

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

I just cooked a pound of dry black beans to go with whatever I cook for the next couple of days. I just put it in a tupperware container in the fridge, but how do I prepare it for when I want to reheat it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

zacpol posted:

I just cooked a pound of dry black beans to go with whatever I cook for the next couple of days. I just put it in a tupperware container in the fridge, but how do I prepare it for when I want to reheat it?
Like, in the microwave? No preparation needed. In something you're cooking? No preparation needed.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Is this a chef's knife? I have never heard of a 'cook's knife' before. Or should I just get the Santoku listed below?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod5250044&selectedTab=allProducts

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod5250043&selectedTab=allProducts

Yes, it's the exact same thing. Santoku vs. Western-style chef's knife is a matter of personal preference and you should go to a store that sells good knives and try out a couple of each and figure out which style is more comfortable.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I've been looking at apple pie recipes. Some say to use baking apples or Granny Smith apples. Does it matter? I imagine the taste might change a little but I would think the texture should still be the same. Though I don't know what a baking apple is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

I've been looking at apple pie recipes. Some say to use baking apples or Granny Smith apples. Does it matter? I imagine the taste might change a little but I would think the texture should still be the same. Though I don't know what a baking apple is.

If you were to use, say, a honeycrisp or pink lady apple, the texture would be not good.