Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This is the peak of insanity. The government is raiding my expensive retirement for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

To be fair, it's Queensland Rail, so he's probably just shut his mouth to keep the taste of mold, ammonia and farts out of it.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is the peak of insanity. The government is raiding my expensive retirement for itself.

I get railroad retirement where I currently work. When interviewing for the job, it was one of the reasons I said I wanted to work there. The guy interviewing me just said "yeah, we'll see how long that lasts."

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Does anyone enjoy watching cab footage? I found a site with cab footage of trains in Japan. There's some other neat things there too.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Zeether posted:

Does anyone enjoy watching cab footage? I found a site with cab footage of trains in Japan. There's some other neat things there too.

It's like playing BVE! :keke:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

meltie posted:

It's like playing BVE! :keke:
There's actually simulators on the website too, although they play more like the Train Simulator games than BVE since they use actual cab footage.

And now I want to reinstall BVE.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
http://nrkbeta.no/2009/12/18/bergensbanen-eng/

7-1/2 hours over Norway's Bergensbanen line. (You can also find it on youtube with a techno music soundtrack, if that's your thing.)

(It's my thing, I know that much.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

InitialDave posted:

Transperth went for the cutesy angle instead.
http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/UsingTransperth/NurseryRhymes.aspx

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

~Coxy posted:

Transperth went for the cutesy angle instead.
http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/UsingTransperth/NurseryRhymes.aspx

I wonder how many of those posters had a strategically placed "is" drawn on to them.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

Wait, this isn't a parody? :stare:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Wait, this isn't a parody? :stare:
That particular one is. Sort of.

They made the mistake of encouraging people to mess around and create their own versions of the posters.

Meanwhile, in Japan:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So this is about 15 miles from my house:
http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I知 back, and for that I am sorry

Wait, NOT a museum? :raise:

Foamers may be going a bit far with that one. Will they only haul freight for companies with olde tyme logos?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I was a bit confused by that as well. Looks like it's the train version of Jay Leno's garage (the website;) a private collector sharing what he has with the Internet.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Jay Leno doesn't haul freight for hire.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Advent Horizon posted:

Wait, NOT a museum? :raise:

Foamers may be going a bit far with that one. Will they only haul freight for companies with olde tyme logos?
It might be a museum down the road. They're only finishing phase 1 of 3 or 4, if I understand correctly.

The guy who owned it was a doctor of some sort and made a shitload of cash. He turned it into one short-line, which turned into 10 around Ohio/Pennsylvania and a shitload of cash, which he used to purchase steam locomotives for a tourist train. He sold said lines about 6 years ago and made yet another shitload of cash, which he turned into what you see here for his collection.

From what I've gathered, the plan is to open some sort of museum and rent out the equipment for excursion lines to use, like the Milwaukee 261 group in MN.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It might be a museum down the road. They're only finishing phase 1 of 3 or 4, if I understand correctly.

The guy who owned it was a doctor of some sort and made a shitload of cash. He turned it into one short-line, which turned into 10 around Ohio/Pennsylvania and a shitload of cash, which he used to purchase steam locomotives for a tourist train. He sold said lines about 6 years ago and made yet another shitload of cash, which he turned into what you see here for his collection.

From what I've gathered, the plan is to open some sort of museum and rent out the equipment for excursion lines to use, like the Milwaukee 261 group in MN.

So, he is like the High King of Foamers.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

InterceptorV8 posted:

So, he is like the High King of Foamers.

His roundhouse is a copy of the one at Steamtown in Scranton PA...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Scarily enough.. There is poo poo load of money involved with railroads.

At the time, the Penn Central bankruptcy was the biggest corporate failure in the US. And I am sure in terms of inflation, it still ranks up there. Not only in just "cash" but if you think in terms of the land alone that railroads hold is astonishing. They even hold places that tracks haven't touched in years.

If you ever some times get bored and look at google maps, you may see a place where google shows tracks but there isn't any.. that is where the railroad still holds the land.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

It seems like the Class 1s are coming around in some places, re-taking some of the trackage they gave up to short-lines years ago.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It seems like the Class 1s are coming around in some places, re-taking some of the trackage they gave up to short-lines years ago.

It's an extreme over simplification, but gas prices going up really tilts the scales in the sea/air/road/rail shipping balance. BNSF and UNP are making money hand over fist recently, something like $8 billion operating income between the two of em in 2010.

Rising gas prices will keep shifting it more towards sea and rail.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Advent Horizon posted:

Jay Leno doesn't haul freight for hire.

Hauling freight on your private train collection would be the equivalent of taking your private rare car collection to the track :colbert:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

bytebark posted:

I get railroad retirement where I currently work. When interviewing for the job, it was one of the reasons I said I wanted to work there. The guy interviewing me just said "yeah, we'll see how long that lasts."

I got a letter from Wyoming Rep. Cynthia Lummis from a friend as a response to a request for information about her support for the new budget. In it she makes this statement:

quote:

The House Fiscal Year 2013 budget includes policy options that serve as examples of how to reach budgetary goals. As you are aware, one such policy option would conform Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits to be equal to Social Security benefits, a change that would affect only the Tier 1 early retirement benefit. This proposal would not affect those individuals in or near retirement. It is important to note that such policy options are illustrative, and would require subsequent legislative action.

The problem with this is that conforming my railroad retirement to social security would be like having the government pass a law to conform your personal expensive retirement, 401k, etc to social security. It saves them nothing, because they put nothing into it to begin with, I DO!

I pay a few times more than people pay into social security and now they only want to give me social security for my heavy contribution? The government puts nothing into it.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Geoj posted:

Hauling freight on your private train collection would be the equivalent of taking your private rare car collection to the track :colbert:

No, it would be the equivalent of chauffering around some other rich guys in the Deusies. They get the back seat while you're sitting out front in the rain wearing a tuxedo to make it all historically accurate.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

B4Ctom1 posted:

The problem with this is that conforming my railroad retirement to social security would be like having the government pass a law to conform your personal expensive retirement, 401k, etc to social security. It saves them nothing, because they put nothing into it to begin with, I DO!

I pay a few times more than people pay into social security and now they only want to give me social security for my heavy contribution? The government puts nothing into it.

Ignoring the obvious issue of the government reallocating stealing your money, I bet this would cost the taxpayers more money in legal bills defending against all the lawsuits that railroad workers would (and should) file, than they would save steal anyway.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
via email:

quote:

https://www.bnsf.com/corpcomm/video/safety-briefings.html?file=/corpcomm/video/Wellington.flv&title=Wellington
This happened at the west end of Wellington, KS. The KC crew stopped the train at the yard office on main 2, the end of their trip. The Amarillo bound crew gets on and leaves town, not aware the last signal their train came by was yellow. Their first signal, not yet visible through the fog was red, because an eastbound was crossing over in front of them from main 2 to main 1. They got by the red signal, but got stopped just short of hitting the other train at the clearance point.

Would make me poo poo my pants. Remember your rules for being delayed in a block, especially at crew change locations. Big mistake taking off in the fog like that.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
We are lucky to have cab signal, but it occasionally makes guys dependent. We had a crew running on c-lights (makes every signal an approach, but still able to run track speed between home signal. They lite up when your cab signal goes out) blow right past a stop a few years back because they didn't pay attention to where they were.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That is why we have ATC. If you have anything less than a clear it forces you to 17 mph or less.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
We have cab signals too. But popping the reverser forward and seeing a proceed and then taking off hell bent for leather is suicide.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

We have cab signals too. But popping the reverser forward and seeing a proceed and then taking off hell bent for leather is suicide.

UP CCS are a joke. Where else can you fly by while the cab signals change, just acknowledge them, and continue at your current speed with out it being enforced.

I just find them kinda cheesy.

Bolognious Assault
Jun 5, 2008
Grimey Drawer
What does the guy in this video mean by "can't stop a train"? It looks like it stopped okay to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HsbTeFu_0g

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Looks stopped to me too. Dumb video.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

UP CCS are a joke. Where else can you fly by while the cab signals change, just acknowledge them, and continue at your current speed with out it being enforced.

I just find them kinda cheesy.

They come in pretty handy in the dead of winter when you cannot see the signals through the snow and fog.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Bolognious Assault posted:

What does the guy in this video mean by "can't stop a train"? It looks like it stopped okay to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HsbTeFu_0g

Can someone explain what's happening in this video? Particularly curious about the message displayed on the terminal towards the end.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyVIVHJ5RUA
wash out

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

And he is stuck on the other side away from his truck?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
First of all, get off your loving camera/phone. You are pulling up to a red signal and your termination (of job or life!) could be on the other side of the signal, not really the best time to be unnecessarily multi-tasking.

As far as stopping the train, he repeatedly sets automatic brake and bails off afterwards. You are supposed to be bailing off (actuating) before and during automatic until it finishes blowing down.

This is done to prevent the locomotive independent brake cylinders from setting up even a little bit. This is especially true when the train is in full dynamic because it can cause the dynamic force to multiply and cause dangerous buff forces hat could throw light cars off the rail back in your train or even roll the rail under your locomotive.

His reason for not doing so is obvious, it takes one hand on each lever and his OTHER loving COCKHOOK IS RUNNING THE BLOODY CAMERA FOR HIS LITTLE FACEBOOK TWITS!

Im sorry, but this bothers me more than seeing only 1 in 10 auto drivers making a left against traffic off their drat phone at a intersection.

Piss poor decision making. If you really want to catch yourself performing tasks on a locomotive, make the conductor film, or set the camera up to work/hold itself.

bisticles posted:

Can someone explain what's happening in this video? Particularly curious about the message displayed on the terminal towards the end.

The message appears on the secondary control screen when you stop and center the handle. It used to be only for problems, but in the case of newer locomotives it is telling you the state of the AESS. The AESS is the Auto Engine Start Stop system. The locomotive will actually shut down after a pre-programmed amount time as soon as all of the systems have decided that it is safe to do so.

When you are ready to proceed it will restart and you will be on your way. This is because an idling locomotive uses more fuel that a diesel semi-truck running full bore.

The message you are seeing is the option to press the reset button to delay the process. There are situations where you might want to delay auto shutdown. Like so can keep it running for comfort (Air coditioning/Heat), or if you see that you are only going to be stopped for a moment, and want to save time from having to wait for the prime/start/ready to go sequence.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Cockhooks.

Thank you for teaching me a new word today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Thought I'd post this here. There's a non-profit organization known as The Geek Group, and they have this nifty habit of posting cool videos about technology, and this particular video is about diesel-electric locomotive basics on an old EMD SW9 switcher.

Last 10 minutes (51 minute video) is video of the train running through a switch yard.