Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Chunk posted:

There is a little bit to this in that one of Dany's prophecies is revealing the lie about a blue eyed king with a red sword. Now that's probably Stannis (which goes to show he's not dead by Ramsay's hand), but oh man it would be awesome if that meant Jon was a wight king (don't they have blue eyes?)

Nah Stannis is one dead mother fucker. Blue eyes and red sword is Brienne, who becomes Azor Ahai post-killing Jaime/Stoneheart/both. And then proceeds to kill the dragons and knock down the wall and continue looking for Sansa up in wildling territory or Essos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Klungar posted:

Are the "Winds of Winter" excerpts spoilers in this thread?

Typically The Bad Thread doesn't spoil preview chapters, but I'm honestly not sure whether anyone cares anymore after ADWD. I know I don't.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

But you don't get it, man, it's totally empowering to women for the lead woman in this series to be an ineffectual moron whom the vast majority of people even aware of her existance despise. If it was Viserys, how would GRRM beat off?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Martin Van Buren posted:

Nah Stannis is one dead mother fucker.

I invite you to read the aforementioned Winds of Winter chapter posted in GURMS blog.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

But you don't get it, man, it's totally empowering to women for the lead woman in this series to be an ineffectual moron whom the vast majority of people even aware of her existance despise. If it was Viserys, how would GRRM beat off?

Women's priorities, in order: Babies, ~Cute boys~, ruining men's spots

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

With any other author that raven discussion in the Theon sample chapter would be an obvious chekhov's gun setup but knowing GRRM he probably just wanted to write about ravens.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

El Hefe posted:

I invite you to read the aforementioned Winds of Winter chapter posted in GURMS blog.

Not canon. Chapter had no mention of oral rape of a minor or nipple removal.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Well, I gotta give the Institute for Gifted and Talented Goons thread one thing: they managed to catch on right away that the burned kids weren't Bran and Rickon but the orphan kids. I tried to hint to my husband that it was a fakeout ("where are Hodor and Osha though?" What about the orphan kids they were going to visit in the previous scene?") and he didn't catch on at all. Did I really somehow manage to marry someone dumber than the average goon or is he actually smarter than all of us because he doesn't care enough about this stupid fantasy series to pay very close attention to it?

I watch each week with 3 non-book readers, and while none of them saw Renly's death coming, I was surprised when there was zero belief on their parts that those kids were Bran and Rickon. I had gotten myself all excited about bathing in their tears when they thought Theon had really killed the kids, but not a single one of them bought it for even a second. The camera hadn't even cut away from the bodies when one of them said "Oh come on, it's not like we'd really think those were the Stark kids."

You can temper your disappointment over your husband's credulousness with the fact that you at least got to experience him being upset over the deaths. I was totally denied and it made me sad.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

empty sea posted:

Speaking of Stannis, I think the show is portraying his character as actually buying into all that Azor Ahai poo poo. I always thought in the books Stannis was just going with what would give him the throne, come hell or red bitches.

E: Renly got the best gently caress off line ever though. "Was he a ham?" loving beautiful.

I think it's less that he buys into the myth and religion, and more that he's aware that Melisandre has actual demonstrable powers that no normal person could wield. He might not worship R'holler, but he has a healthy respect for the power that he seems to give to his followers. It's not like the Seven were doing anything for him.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Mnemosyne posted:

I watch each week with 3 non-book readers, and while none of them saw Renly's death coming, I was surprised when there was zero belief on their parts that those kids were Bran and Rickon. I had gotten myself all excited about bathing in their tears when they thought Theon had really killed the kids, but not a single one of them bought it for even a second. The camera hadn't even cut away from the bodies when one of them said "Oh come on, it's not like we'd really think those were the Stark kids."

You can temper your disappointment over your husband's credulousness with the fact that you at least got to experience him being upset over the deaths. I was totally denied and it made me sad.

Yeah it was awfully done by HBO.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Maarak posted:

I think it's less that he buys into the myth and religion, and more that he's aware that Melisandre has actual demonstrable powers that no normal person could wield. He might not worship R'holler, but he has a healthy respect for the power that he seems to give to his followers. It's not like the Seven were doing anything for him.

I don't know. The crazy table-loving he gave her kind of made me think he bought into it. I know it's hard to act out grinding his teeth and all, but Stannis is way too emotional. I never saw Stannis as religious in any way. In fact, I pretty much got the vibe from everyone worshiping the Seven that they were just mouthing along. Ned Stark was probably the most religious person in the books, IMO.

And we didn't get the loving peach. "Is he a ham?" was awesome but would've been far more awesome if he ate a peach while laying down that sweet burn, HBO, just sayin'.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I like or dislike HBO since they did things great and terrible.

Let's make a list:

Pros:
Ned Stark total badass
King Robert
Syrio
Cat
Littlefinger
Mormont
Ygritte total babe/great actress
I guess literally every other casting than Jon Snow is great
Greyjoy subplot totally :black101:

Cons:
Jon Snow
Ros
Cutting Jojen and Meera Reed
Cutting flashbacks, memories, fantasies

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

empty sea posted:

Ned Stark was probably the most religious person in the books, IMO.

I think you forgot crazy-rear end Lancel.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Lancel hasn't gone crazy yet. And anyway, who ever gave a gently caress what Lancel thought?

E: My god. After watching the whole Tywin and Arya scene, am I the only one that thinks if Arya had been older they would have been some badass unstoppable force across Westeros? Both of them stone-cold killers.

empty sea fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 15, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dead Man Posting posted:

Let's make a list:

Pros:
Ned Stark total badass
King Robert
Syrio
Cat
Littlefinger
Mormont

Cons:
Jon Snow
Ros

Littlefinger has been completely screwed over this season, as all of his plans are just laid bare and he makes his desires known to just about everyone ever. He's definitely a con in this season.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Dead Man Posting posted:

Let's make a list:

Pros:
Ned Stark total badass
King Robert
Syrio
Cat
Littlefinger
Mormont

Cons:
Jon Snow
Ros

I think the PRO column we should give HBO credit for keeping lots of not-really-necessary Dolorous Edd lines. Since they're so pressed for time, it would have been really easy to cut him entirely. I believe the earlier discussion about how it's unfair to compare anyone else to Hodor because he's clearly superior to everyone else is incorrect. Dolorous Edd is obviously the greatest character in the books.

In the Cons column, we might want to put Peter Dinklage's accent. Though I guess it doesn't bother everyone.

EDIT: I don't think Littlefinger can be in the Pro column either. Either the way they've written him is weird, or the way he's being played is weird.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 15, 2012

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

empty sea posted:

I don't know. The crazy table-loving he gave her kind of made me think he bought into it. I know it's hard to act out grinding his teeth and all, but Stannis is way too emotional. I never saw Stannis as religious in any way. In fact, I pretty much got the vibe from everyone worshiping the Seven that they were just mouthing along. Ned Stark was probably the most religious person in the books, IMO.

The table loving was more about his desire for a son, mixed with Melisandre lusting after him for months, and the demands of preparing for war. He finally gives up resisting her, and his standing only improves as a result. He's no wild eyed fanatic, but this is the first religion that's ever helped him in a concrete way. As far as emotional, I remember him show emotion all the time in the books, it's only his decision making that is cold.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Jaime doesnt stop being a douche until he loses his hand

and even then he's still kind of a douche

That's all right, he also grows a beard, so it's all even.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A beard and no hand is worth two hands on Brienne's bush.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
holy poo poo...l cant believe Jaime killed Gendry last episode, this show is loving nuts! hope brienne kills that honorless sack of crap for insulting her like that!!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lars Blitzer posted:

That's all right, he also grows a beard, so it's all even.

Maybe season 3 of GoT will feature a bearded Riker Jaime and the unexpected return Dr. Crusher Maester Luwin.

That should give them the cast synergy to make it all the way to a lackluster season 7.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

I found it hilarious that Jaime was already fixating on Brienne immediately after meeting her. I guess it's not that huge of a leap, if Cersei wants to gently caress a male version of herself, why wouldn't Jaime want the same? Cersei sees all the bad qualities of Jaime and thinks they are awesome and also that she could make them more awesome if only she had a penis. Jaime sees all his flaws and recognizes them, making him a jaded motherfucker.

Brienne may not be pretty like he is, but otherwise she's the female version of everything Jaime Lannister was supposed to represent and I think he would love to realistically be--loyal, honorable and absolutely kickass with a sword. Brienne is even a cast-out member of a King's Guard charged with killing her former King.

I am so looking forward to awkward boners and not just from Jon Snow.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

empty sea posted:

I found it hilarious that Jaime was already fixating on Brienne immediately after meeting her. I guess it's not that huge of a leap, if Cersei wants to gently caress a male version of herself, why wouldn't Jaime want the same? Cersei sees all the bad qualities of Jaime and thinks they are awesome and also that she could make them more awesome if only she had a penis. Jaime sees all his flaws and recognizes them, making him a jaded motherfucker.

Brienne may not be pretty like he is, but otherwise she's the female version of everything Jaime Lannister was supposed to represent and I think he would love to realistically be--loyal, honorable and absolutely kickass with a sword. Brienne is even a cast-out member of a King's Guard charged with killing her former King.

Jon's was just awkward because it wasn't from Ygritte... he was just dreaming of Edd.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

empty sea posted:

Does he even know that about her though? I think Brienne ended up making a name for herself after Jaime was already imprisoned. There's nothing to indicate to him that she's loyal, honorable, or good with a sword –- to him, she's just an ugly woman wearing armor like a man.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Littlefinger has been completely screwed over this season, as all of his plans are just laid bare and he makes his desires known to just about everyone ever. He's definitely a con in this season.

I'm still hoping they intentionally have him being unsmooth and kind of a bungler this season so it makes his Joffrey-killing and Sansa-abducting seem more impressive.

Also where the gently caress is Dontos :mad:

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Azure_Horizon posted:

Eh, yes and no. I think he's just setting things up for the Three Queens. The only time he was maybe too revealing was in his talks with Margaery, but that's because they're really, really obviously planning to cut the Queen of Thorns out and have Margaery absorb her role in the story, which is a fantastic decision.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Does he even know that about her though? I think Brienne ended up making a name for herself after Jaime was already imprisoned. There's nothing to indicate to him that she's loyal, honorable, or good with a sword –- to him, she's just an ugly woman wearing armor like a man.

Well, I doubt Lady Stark would run with anyone who wasn't up to the Stark standards of unrealistic crap. He doesn't know about Brienne yet, but he will. No awkward boners until later.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Sophia posted:

Women's priorities, in order: Babies, ~Cute boys~, ruining men's spots

Men's priorities, in order: Mah Legacy, ~hot girls~, killing things

Azure_Horizon posted:

What do you mean, "this" season? Last season he spilled everything to a prostitute he had just hired.

Hedrigall posted:

A beard and no hand is worth two hands on Brienne's bush.

That is all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mnemosyne posted:

In the Cons column, we might want to put Peter Dinklage's accent. Though I guess it doesn't bother everyone.

It's bad, but I am so conditioned to expect bad from ASOIAF at this point that it doesn't bother me. Also he's such a badass on the show that it's easily forgivable. Just smack Joffrey around a bit and all is well.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dinklage could just drop the accent all together, no one would notice or care. If terrible actress Halle Berry could suddenly make Storm not-African anymore and get away with it, why can't Emmy-winning actor Peter Dinklage?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Dinklage was hammy as gently caress for the first couple of episodes. He's gotten better since.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

EDIT: I don't think Littlefinger can be in the Pro column either. Either the way they've written him is weird, or the way he's being played is weird.

Yeah, I've never liked Littlefinger and I can't quite put my finger on why. The casting is perfect, but something is just off.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It's both. Bookfinger is always joking, always happy with the way things are, always at ease. Showfinger is wound up tighter than Ned Stark was. Even his smile is forced.

Also, he's too clearly obsessed with power. Look at how Varys always found him in the first season, staring at the Iron Throne while fantasizing about what he'd do on it. I mean, really? Really? How the hell does he manage to be overlooked in the show? In the books he gets away with everything because he seems harmless, while in the show even Ned could figure out he was a rat.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, I've never liked Littlefinger and I can't quite put my finger on why. The casting is perfect, but something is just off.

Could it be because he's a creepy, shady scheming motherfucker with ulterior motives?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

Watching last night's episode on my DVR right now, why are they making Tywin so totally sympathetic? I don't get it. But more Arya is more Arya so ok.

Maybe HBO has a deal where they have their version of how the books play out, and as the gurm does not write they have liberty to simply change more to their version of the story. Ultimately resulting in HBO finishing the series their way. They full well gurm will not live to complete another book so they may as well start putting things in the order they want.

/ramble...

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Could it be because he's a creepy, shady scheming motherfucker with ulterior motives?

As mentioned above, Showfinger's motives are anything but ulterior.

I think him being so wound up in the show is a good point as well. In the books, he's so relaxed and confident everything will go exactly to plan, and they do. It feels like he could snap at any moment on the show.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

FrozenVent posted:

I was watching the bonus interviews in the Season 1 blu-ray and when interviewed every actor seemed natural and different from their character but Littlefinger's actor looked like a HUGE creep, the way he talked and looked and the camera, it was disturbing.

Gibbone
May 8, 2011
Hey now Carcetti might not be the most effective politician but he's doing his best. Creepy, shady scheming motherfucker is a little harsh.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

It's both. Bookfinger is always joking, always happy with the way things are, always at ease. Showfinger is wound up tighter than Ned Stark was. Even his smile is forced.

Also, he's too clearly obsessed with power. Look at how Varys always found him in the first season, staring at the Iron Throne while fantasizing about what he'd do on it. I mean, really? Really? How the hell does he manage to be overlooked in the show? In the books he gets away with everything because he seems harmless, while in the show even Ned could figure out he was a rat.

I completely agree with this. Have you listened to the audiobook voiced by Roy Dotrice? His Littlefinger is spot on, in my opinion. He always sounds a bit bored, and is the first one to crack a quip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Actually, did I say tighter than Ned Stark? I should have said tighter than Stannis.

STANNIS is more at-ease than Littlefinger.