Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008

powderific posted:

For backpacking, you might also pick up a camera holster of some kind and strap that to your pack or harness somewhere if you want to be able to get at it easier.

Was gonna hook the X100 to the front shoulder strap, and ill probably just wrap the DSLR in some foam and pack it in my sleeping bag. Never thought of that. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Musket posted:

Anyone have a backpacking solution to taking gear? I probably wont have space for much other than a single body, one lens, and my x100. Its a 3-4 day trip. The x100 could live around my neck and I might end up wrapping my d700 and lens in a towel and storing it in my backpack.

Don't bother with the D700, take only the X100. I have backpacked with my 40D with 17-50 2.8 so many times and now that I have an X100 it's the only thing I take into nature anymore.

With the D700 packed into your bag you won't ever use it unless you're at camp with everything unpacked, and with the way my trips always work out I would never use it. I find that while backpacking most of the images are shot while hiking with your backpack on, around the camp, or on a short side excursion to a river or to the top of a nearby peak. For me, that means 2/3rds of the possible shooting opportunities would happen with the D700 packed away.

Save the 2.4 pounds of the D700 body alone and bring like 3 X100 batteries, hook it to your backpack strap or make the camera strap as long as possible and put it across your body. Travel light.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
This trip is a planned photo trip, so I probably wont leave the D700 out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There are padded inserts of all sizes from... Kata, I think, that you can drop into most backpacks.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Musket posted:

This trip is a planned photo trip, so I probably wont leave the D700 out.

Oh. Sorry. I either missed that from your post or I just assumed too much.

Wrapping your camera in clean clothes and then putting them near the top of your pack is what I would do. My sleeping bag stuff sack isn't big enough to put the camera in the bag. Using the wrapping in clean clothes method, I've gone backpacking with glass containers and they've been safe that way.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

How do you guys do serious hiking and carry your gear with you?

Im going to be living out of a car/tent for about 5 weeks whilst I hit up Yosemite, Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon and lots of wilderness. During the day I'm planning on doing some pretty serious treks and would like to take my camera stuff.

I'll have loads of crap in my car but I'll probably just take a camera and 1 or 2 lenses with me when im on a full day hike, for example I want to do Half Dome at Yosemite if I can get a pass. I'm guessing I'll just take a proper hiking backpack and stick the camera in there but if anyone had any other ideas that would be good.

Walking for an hour or two with a tripod is going to suck though (Probably if I'm planning on doing some stuff at sunset/sunrise).

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Fists Up posted:

I'm guessing I'll just take a proper hiking backpack and stick the camera in there but if anyone had any other ideas that would be good.

Mainly just this. I've got an fstop Loka that I'll take on anything 7ish miles or less. If it's longer than that I usually take my Gregory Z55 mainly because it breathes better on my back and carries the load just a bit better. Just wrap your camera in some soft clothing or something, it'll be plenty protected.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would borrow or buy the lightest tripod I could find too. When traveling, I carry an old Slik sprint pro II. It's pretty shaky but if I lock the mirror up and use timed release it settles down enough for decent long exposures. It's way cheaper than carbon fiber and teeny tiny when packed down.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Gorillapod Focus (their strongest, I believe) is fantastic for strapping to a bag and forgetting about until you need it.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

William T. Hornaday posted:

Yes on all three. But I've got one anyways, in spite of the last point.

I have a Carryspeed Pro strap which costs about the same but is one of the best purchases for my camera that I can remember. So comfortable to wear, feels very durable.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Small question about the Blackrapid straps. The RS-7 comes with the carabiner, but I need to buy the FastenR-3/screw (or equivalent) separately right?

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

My RS-7 came with the carabiner and the FastenR-3 thingy.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
All BR straps should come with a Fastener and the carabiner.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Fists Up posted:

Im going to be living out of a car/tent for about 5 weeks whilst I hit up Yosemite, Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon and lots of wilderness. During the day I'm planning on doing some pretty serious treks and would like to take my camera stuff.

I'll have loads of crap in my car but I'll probably just take a camera and 1 or 2 lenses with me when im on a full day hike, for example I want to do Half Dome at Yosemite if I can get a pass. I'm guessing I'll just take a proper hiking backpack and stick the camera in there but if anyone had any other ideas that would be good.

Walking for an hour or two with a tripod is going to suck though (Probably if I'm planning on doing some stuff at sunset/sunrise).

This is when I always just bring my T2i, kit lens and a gorillapod focus, and all of these things are fairly cheap and fairly light. I honestly cannot ever imagine bringing anything else. My base pack weight for a 3 night backpacking solo trip is 14lbs, so even bringing a better lens is a huge weight increase.

I have a very cheap holster style case that I cut almost everything off, that goes over my chest like a chestpack (works awesome) and the gorillapod gets strapped to my hiking pole loops.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
That seems to be the case, thanks!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I was wondering what people's opinions on the Black Rapid RS-Sport vs. their RS-4 or RS-7. I hike a fair amount, and I like to bring my little D40 with a telephoto on my hikes. Does the stabilizing strap on the RS-Sport help any?

Also, I'm considering the Kata 3N1-10 sling backpack, or their LighTri-315 torso pack. I'd like something I can use to pack my camera with telephoto lens attached, as well as a few other lenses and a flash. I'm leaning towards the backpack because I'd like to use it on a motorcycle, and also if I travel.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I recently got myself a backpack for carrying all my camera gear. While it's great to carry almost everything camera related I own in a backpack I'd like to get something smaller like a shoulder bag.

Where I am locally finding a camera bag is an utter chore because there aren't any camera shops. I'm fine ordering online but I want to make sure it'll meet my requirements first.

I'd like to take the following with me:
T2i w/ grip and a 17-50mm Tamron
A zoom lens
430 flash

I'd also like a pocket of some time to hold a small flash diffuser, as well as some backup batteries for my camera/flash and some extra memory cards and other misc. poo poo. If it could also fit my nifty 50 bonus, but no biggie.

I'd be using this while walking around in the city so the less it looks like a camera bag the better. The ThinkTank's look ideal but I'd like to know what one will work. I managed to find a small one locally but it most certainly doesn't come close to fitting my camera with a grip.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
You must have been looking at the Retrospective 5. You need the Retro 10 to fit a gripped body. (The Retro 7 might, but I'm not sure.) The Retro 10 is a great sized bag for that gear list.

Also check out the Lowepro Pro Messenger 160 AW , which is Lowepro's shameless ripoff of the Retrospective design, but they are spectacular bags. Either one should do you fine. They're not cheap, but they're great bags.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

You must have been looking at the Retrospective 5. You need the Retro 10 to fit a gripped body. (The Retro 7 might, but I'm not sure.) The Retro 10 is a great sized bag for that gear list.

Also check out the Lowepro Pro Messenger 160 AW , which is Lowepro's shameless ripoff of the Retrospective design, but they are spectacular bags. Either one should do you fine. They're not cheap, but they're great bags.
Awesome. I just wanted to make sure what would definitely work before I dropped ~$200 when ordering online. I'll probably go with the ThinkTank because God drat it looks slick.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

doctor 7 posted:

I'll probably go with the ThinkTank because God drat it looks slick.

Yer drat skippy it does!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up a Domke F3 and, while it's almost the same size as my retrospective 5, I can fit waaaaay more into it. The Retrospective has some features that are nicer--you can tell it's a more modern design--but I much prefer the floppier, less padded nature of the F3. It can fit: D800, 20mm 2.8, 35mm f2, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 90mm macro, 70-200 2.8 VR, SB910, and a few accessories.

You might still prefer the ThinkTank but give the Domke stuff a look if you can.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm looking for some sort of housing when I'm in my kayak. I have a 60D and my usual lenses are a 17-50 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. I saw something like this or this on a few other forums. Anyone have any experience with these?

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Anyone know if the RS7 comes with a Fastener for a Benro B1 head, or do I have to buy one separately? I saw one on amazon for Manfrotto heads but I'm not sure if it fits.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lediur posted:

Anyone know if the RS7 comes with a Fastener for a Benro B1 head, or do I have to buy one separately? I saw one on amazon for Manfrotto heads but I'm not sure if it fits.

From what I understand, you'll probably have to buy an Arca-Swiss-compatible clamp to go on your RS7. Then you can keep your Arca-Swiss tripod plate/L-plate on the camera and use it either on your ballhead or clamped to your RS7.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

MrBlandAverage posted:

From what I understand, you'll probably have to buy an Arca-Swiss-compatible clamp to go on your RS7. Then you can keep your Arca-Swiss tripod plate/L-plate on the camera and use it either on your ballhead or clamped to your RS7.

Will this one work?

http://www.amazon.com/Fasten-RT1-Quick-Release-Plate/dp/B0049H89F8/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_c

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sure, if you want to unscrew your Fasten-R from the QR plate every time you want to use the camera on a tripod.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
I used a Kirk universal clamp and screwed the fastener on it. Makes switching to a tripod or to my 70-200 so much more simpler/faster.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Duckjob posted:

I used a Kirk universal clamp and screwed the fastener on it. Makes switching to a tripod or to my 70-200 so much more simpler/faster.

This is what I was trying to suggest, but I didn't have a picture to back it up!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I love my Maxpedition colossus. I had to cut the internal rainguard out since it impedes quick drawing but that was the only issue. Holds loving everything nice.

Fits one of the following:

-Large no-grip DSLR fits really nice (D700 with fast normal)
-Small no-grip DSLR might be a tad small but not a big deal
-Fits a no-grip MF Rollei 6000 SLR with normal or tele lens
-Fits a folded Graflex Crown Graphic (probably not a speed)
-Fits a folded Polaroid Land

Smaller items can accommodate another small item stored stacked like a full size flash or a fast normal lens but must be in a soft case to avoid damage.

I also have a 2 holster(thinktank) shoulder strapped(non-thinktank) rig for hiking which allows me to carry 2 DSLRs with lenses for quick draw. Spare lens(s), water, food, compact tripod and binoculars while still having 2 free hands and the ability to go to a light sprint without worrying about poo poo shaking around too much or falling out.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have a Chrome messenger bag and I am thinking about making a sleeve for it that will hold a camera bag insert and attach to existing velcro inside the messenger. Is there a preferred camera bag insert company to look for? I looked up some Domke inserts and it was suggested that they have subpar padding.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I have a Chrome messenger bag and I am thinking about making a sleeve for it that will hold a camera bag insert and attach to existing velcro inside the messenger. Is there a preferred camera bag insert company to look for? I looked up some Domke inserts and it was suggested that they have subpar padding.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-Photo-Insert-ProDigital-Messenger/dp/B001120WQ8

Is what i use. Domke inserts are actually pretty good, but I was given these as a gift.

getsuga
Dec 31, 2007
I like the timbuk2 snoop small camera insert. It's a bit on the expensive side, but it's modular has a handle (makes it easy to pull out) and a zippered lid which makes it waterproof. It fits about 3 lenses, my camera, a rocket blower and a lenscleaner. It snugly fits my 13' laptop crumpler bag. Makes it really easy to pull out my camera and shoot without having a camera strapped around my neck like a tourist.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I've been using a timbuk2 small insert in their small messenger bag every day for a couple months now, and it's been awesome. I've used it in an old chrome metropolis as well, and if you like the way the chrome works it's perhaps an even better combo since you still have enough room for non-camera odds 'n' ends and it feels sufficiently secure with the buckles and shoulder strap locked down.

But in the end I preferred the timbuk2 bag because it allows better walkaround access (I never use anything on the camera but a wrist strap) and doesn't hang at seemingly precarious angles when the bag is tightened down for travel. I love the chrome waterproofing, though. Downright bomproof with their design.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I ended up buying a timbuk2 snoop insert for my chrome bag last night, which feels dirty. I really wish Chrome had made an insert instead of a subpar (from reviews) camera bag. Anyways

So I keep looking at pictures of people's bag organizers and they're like "look at all these gigantic lenses you can fit!" What do you guys do to keep tiny lenses in place? I have a Lumix 14mm pancake lens that I don't want damaged, but should I even be concerned, or should I just toss it in and say it's not going to hurt to be bouncing around in there a little? I feel like these organizers should have pockets for small stuff but they all seem to be camera+big lens+flash.

I'm thinking about getting some MOLLE grenade pouches and just attaching them to some straps inside the bag to hold those lenses, caps on.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 13, 2012

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE
Anyone own a Think Tank Shape Shifter or Streetwalker Hard Drive? Thoughts?

I don't like idea of having to attach a lens every time I want to shoot with the Shape Shifter, but I also don't like the size of the Streetwalker HD.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a StreetWalker Pro and that's already huge; the HD is even bigger. The Streetwalker is great for when I want to carry everything for a decent distance, but I can fit very nearly the same crap in a Domke F3, which is a fraction of the size. Any time I use the streetwalker I'm annoyed with how big it is compared to the F3, even if backpacks are more comfortable. I can fit a gripped D800 with 35mm attached, 70-200 with hood reversed, 50mm 1.8, 20mm 2.8, Tamron 90mm macro, SB910, SB700, and some accessories in an F3. The Streetwalker will hold little bit more accessories and let me carry the 70-200 mounted on the camera, but that's a bout it for extra space. It just seems really bulky for the amount it carries.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I have the Streetwalker HD and I love it. Gripped D700 w/ 70-200f2.8 attached fits great. I also have 2 speedlights, 50 1.8, 24-70 2.8 and some other stuff in it with room to spare. It's built like a tank. I really don't think it feels bulky at all.

I have a 7MDH somewhere that I would cram most of that stuff (minus 70-200) into. It was not very easy to get things in and out though, if you had it full. I much prefer the thinktank bag.

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE
Thanks nummy & powderific. I ended up buying the Street Walker HD. Fits a lot more than my Domke J1 and way more comfortable. I'm still turned off by the size but going to give it a try. 15 days to return/exchange.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know, I might not mind the size as much if I had the HD instead of the Pro--being able to consolidate my everything into one bag vs. laptop bag + camera bag might make the bulk more palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
Yeah, it is really nice being able to have my laptop in the bag as well. It does get pretty heavy when you have all that stuff in it (especially the laptop), but I find that I'm only carrying everything like that if I'm traveling. The bag also fits great in overhead storage on planes.

If I'm going for a hike, I normally take out everything I'm not going to need (strobes, laptop, etc.). It makes it much lighter to carry.

Not for everyone, but it does a great job for me.

• Locked thread