Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

How much ram does the 2011 Mini Server top out at? Apple says 8GB, but they tend to be conservative about supported max ram don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Maxes out at 16 GB. Apple just undercuts specs so the machine lasts longer / is more reliable. They've definitely been known to downclock their video cards (ATI and nVidia.)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Maxes out at 16 GB. Apple just undercuts specs so the machine lasts longer / is more reliable. They've definitely been known to downclock their video cards (ATI and nVidia.)

That's just what I want to hear. I need to run a few VMs and don't want to be stuck if 8GB isn't enough. Thanks for the info!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Bob Morales posted:

I think the only downside of using ExFAT is if you tried to connect the drive to something other than a newer Mac or Windows PC you wouldn't be able to read it - but if it's an internal drive that's not a problem.

Linux doesn't read it out of the box (but can read it with FUSE) or if you tried to connect it to a DVR or TV or something, it would only read regular FAT (I think)

I'll never use Linux outside of a VM, so exFAT it will be.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I've been monitoring this page like a hawk, after weeks there's finally an update on new iMacs / MacBook Pro

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/14/unreleased-2012-macbook-pro-and-imac-models-showing-up-in-benchmarks/

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

triplexpac posted:

I've been monitoring this page like a hawk, after weeks there's finally an update on new iMacs / MacBook Pro

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/14/unreleased-2012-macbook-pro-and-imac-models-showing-up-in-benchmarks/
9to5mac is claiming the new 15" is not tapered like the Air but simply significantly thinner, with a retina display and USB 3. As a result, there's no more ethernet built-in, you'll need a dongle.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There wil be blood in the streets if they remove the gigabit port from the Pro.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
So according to that link it sounds like they will refresh the Pro line at WWDC. I really hope they update the Airs as well since I've had my eye on one for a year. Just haven't pulled the trigger since I still have my 2008 Unibody kicking around.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

There wil be blood in the streets if they remove the gigabit port from the Pro.

At this point, nothing would surprise me. USB3 and Thunderbolt are more than fast enough for gigabit though.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

mayodreams posted:

At this point, nothing would surprise me. USB3 and Thunderbolt are more than fast enough for gigabit though.

Yeah but having to use a dongle is retarded.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheWevel posted:

Yeah but having to use a dongle is retarded.
Sorry I like having a laptop that's thinner than an ethernet port.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
And for you, there's the Macbook Air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mayodreams posted:

USB3 and Thunderbolt are more than fast enough for gigabit though.

USB: Give up one of only two USB ports to connect to the network? gently caress that.

Thunderbolt: Spend $85 for an adatper that never comes out and lose connection to an external monitor, or buy $1,000 monitor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I was looking up Thunderbolt Ethernet adapters

And then I found this:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/xmacminiserver.html

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

USB: Give up one of only two USB ports to connect to the network? gently caress that.

Thunderbolt: Spend $85 for an adatper that never comes out and lose connection to an external monitor, or buy $1,000 monitor.

Having more than 2 USB ports, or even just improving the spacing between them would be so welcome. I imagine this could be somewhat likely if optical drive gets deleted.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That 9to5 report says it will have 3 USB ports

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sorry I like having a laptop that's thinner than an ethernet port.

I get that. The problem is that if these are "Macbook Pros" the Pros using them are going to need an Ethernet port more often than not.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm hoping for a new mini. Do desktops usually get refreshed together, or is Apple more likely to stagger their launches? Baseless speculation is fun!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I've posted this countless times by now, but the Air and Mini will most likely not be updated until summer. There are no dual-core Ivy Bridge parts until then, and it makes sense to time it with Mountain Lion like they did last year with Lion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I reading that article correctly in that it seems only the top tier iMac is getting a major upgrade (only as far as iMacs are concerned of course) ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nobody knows. If you believe the articles there will be new case designs for the iMac as well.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody knows. If you believe the articles there will be new case designs for the iMac as well.

Plastic is back in 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Two Thunderbolt ports on the 15 would make me happy.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Maybe we should just start a "poo poo that we really want but in no way will apple do it until it's old technology" list now since it's almost update time again?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

TheWevel posted:

I get that. The problem is that if these are "Macbook Pros" the Pros using them are going to need an Ethernet port more often than not.

The "Pros" who absolutely can't use wireless aren't a large enough userbase for Apple to not pull off Ethernet, and there's a pretty easy fix to that (the GigE dongle.)

I've been fearful for the death of Firewire, but hopefully a TB-FW adapter shows up one of these days. Personally I can pretty easily replace my Duet with a One, and the big audio interface I want will have Thunderbolt support, so it's not that big of a deal.

Bonefish
Jul 29, 2008
I have a Late 2009 (white plastic) macbook that has some issues that can be taken care of by the Applecare I purchased when I bought the laptop. Specifically, It needs a new screen, cd drive, and perhaps, if I'm lucky, I could get a new battery out of them. I know that they have stopped making these models for quite some time, and that we are due for a new line (are they even putting out regular macbooks in june?), is there any way that waiting until after the new releases to invoke my applecare could result in a shiny new laptop, or is this a pipe-dream and I should just get my laptop fixed up now?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Well, it looks like if you believe this rumor, the next MacBook Airs will be getting USB 3.0 ports. At least that ought to make booting off USB 3.0 flash drives pretty quick.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bonefish posted:

I have a Late 2009 (white plastic) macbook that has some issues that can be taken care of by the Applecare I purchased when I bought the laptop. Specifically, It needs a new screen, cd drive, and perhaps, if I'm lucky, I could get a new battery out of them. I know that they have stopped making these models for quite some time, and that we are due for a new line (are they even putting out regular macbooks in june?), is there any way that waiting until after the new releases to invoke my applecare could result in a shiny new laptop, or is this a pipe-dream and I should just get my laptop fixed up now?

The magic 8-ball says "Highly Unlikely" so just get it fixed

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I know they don't have solid WSJ-levels of reliability, but Bloomberg are independently reporting Macbook Pros with thin redesign, retina displays & flash storage (perhaps hybrid?) for WWDC.

Binary Badger posted:

Well, it looks like if you believe this rumor, the next MacBook Airs will be getting USB 3.0 ports. At least that ought to make booting off USB 3.0 flash drives pretty quick.

I don't trust 9to5Mac but their rumours regarding port layout (Magsafe, 2xUSB, audio in/out on left, 2xThunderbolt, USB, SD, Kensington on the right) seem oddly specific.

And seriously, if you're on the road, you probably don't loving need Ethernet, and Apple will happily sell you a monitor/pseudo docking station with Ethernet for your home or office as well as a dongle. It's a non issue. Especially if the rumours are true and you have *five* suitable ports to plug Ethernet capabilities into.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 15, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The "Pros" who absolutely can't use wireless aren't a large enough userbase for Apple to not pull off Ethernet, and there's a pretty easy fix to that (the GigE dongle.)

I don't even think "Pros" are the only people who have to worry about the loss of wired ethernet. Many people these days have internet connections that are effectively faster than wifi. What good is a 50 or 100mb/s internet connection when you can only get 25mb/s from your wifi connection?

It's a pain transfering files (even to a local server) that are a gigabyte or two on wifi, especially if you have a couple other clients using the connection.

Sure, in theory you can get 300mbs or whatever out of wifi but throw office layouts into the mix or an apartment with 16 other SSID's...

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

frumpsnake posted:

And seriously, if you're on the road, you probably don't loving need Ethernet, and Apple will happily sell you a monitor/pseudo docking station with Ethernet for your home or office as well as a dongle. It's a non issue. Especially if the rumours are true and you have *five* suitable ports to plug Ethernet capabilities into.

Yeah, just what I want another loving dongle to drag to the data center, so now I'll have to keep my usb -> serial adapter along with a spare usb -> RJ-45 in my backpack... yay more usb poo poo that I really don't want when I'm already pissed off at 3 in the morning when dealing with broken poo poo. Looks like if this rumor is true I'm going to be on the hook for at least 3 of the drat adapters...

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I've been fearful for the death of Firewire, but hopefully a TB-FW adapter shows up one of these days. Personally I can pretty easily replace my Duet with a One, and the big audio interface I want will have Thunderbolt support, so it's not that big of a deal.

Derailed as heck, but: UAD Apollo? Because hell yeah. By far the sexiest reason for TB to exist. :techno:

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Harry Totterbottom posted:

...data center...usb -> serial adapter...usb -> RJ-45...3 in the morning when dealing with broken poo poo.

Congrats, you're finally learning that Apple gives no fucks about the professional world outside of their very narrow viewpoint (See xserve, Mac pro desktops, etc).

I'd just get a thinkpad or something if you're needing serial since you're most likely running window anyways (even more fringe case)

Fatal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 15, 2012

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Fatal posted:

I'd just get a thinkpad or something if you're needing serial since you're most likely running window anyways (even more fringe case)
I really don't think even Thinkpads are available with serial ports anymore, so that's kind of a universal complaint, and you can use a USB-serial adapter with OS X.

I do agree that it sucks a) to get nickel-and-dimed with dongles at $20-30 apiece from Apple, and b) to have to remember *another* thing to take with your laptop. Plus I'd have to imagine that there are a ton of workplaces that don't use wifi for a host of good reasons, so yeah, that's a weird move. Not out of character, but they might be pushing a bit far on this one.

They'll still sell like crazy, though.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
No ethernet on a MBP would be absolutely stupid and Apple would be dumb to do it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

It'd certainly be annoying but as others have said, if you remove the Ethernet and Firewire ports you could probably reduce the overall thickness by about half a centimetre.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This isn't a cheap option but these two things would work:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw800expresscard34.html

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Do you really, really think that ethernet is used by a large enough userbase that Apple cares about it? I highly doubt it

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Flyndre posted:

Do you really, really think that ethernet is used by a large enough userbase that Apple cares about it? I highly doubt it

It wouldn't be a big deal if they released a cheap ethernet thunderbolt adaptor.

Transferring huge files between computers sucks through wi-fi.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Except ESXi is not supported on the mini 8(