Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

New strip after a month break. It's just a little piece of the puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
"I'm afraid his convalescence will be less ‘hair of the dog’ and more ‘what is a dog.’"

I already kinda want to call that one of my favorite Cornelius lines.

Dorsal Penis
Apr 8, 2010
'Booze before you's' is my new tagline for irresponsible drinking.

ElementaryScotty
Jan 8, 2010
What is nice about the following statement:
There is a new Achewood strip
a) It did happen
b) It didn't happen
c) It could happen

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Best title text for an internet image, ever.

No question. That strip was already funny before I noticed the alt text, then I just went into hysterics.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cornelius is speaking in limericks.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I actually liked this one! Hopefully we won't be seeing any more Zany Artsy Plotlines for a while, because i can barely remember the last time there was a Funny Thing in the comic.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Technique posted:

I actually liked this one! Hopefully we won't be seeing any more Zany Artsy Plotlines for a while, because i can barely remember the last time there was a Funny Thing in the comic.

what kind of man has his priorities so screwed up he can't enjoy a little Laser Sex Math

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I love how Cornelius and Todd are speaking to each other in extremely disparate styles, yet they fully understand each other and it's not an issue. This is a great conversation. Achewood does this quite a bit, doesn't it?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

what kind of man has his priorities so screwed up he can't enjoy a little Laser Sex Math

Laser Sex Math was a weak payoff to an asinine storyline, and it was pretty much bordering on self-parody. :colbert: There, i said it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

That line about figurin' out helicopters was classic Achewood, y'all just frontin'.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The second I saw Todd I was absolutely delighted. I hope him and Lyle do, in fact, get Ray "shittered".

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I'm sure I missed it upthread, but I just read a little interview in a blog called The Believer, dude got divorced!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah Ray better back on the sauce soon since there is no way 12 Steps Ray will be anywhere near as fun as the sleep chilling, braveheart watching, Ketel One in the tub Ray we all know and love.

Its a comic, they do not have livers, i like my cartoon cats liquored up and hilarious.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Cornelius's script just reeks of Onstad trying too hard, which is saying something, considering the character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I'm sure I missed it upthread, but I just read a little interview in a blog called The Believer, dude got divorced!

Ouch, really? Poor bastard.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jerusalem posted:

Ouch, really? Poor bastard.
No kidding. And with a little baby, too. :smith:

At least we have a reason as to why the strip fell apart over the last year or so.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I think we can give the man a pass on that lack of content, then, on that front if nothing else.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

http://believermag.tumblr.com/post/18117161997/interview-with-chris-onstad-part-i-when-chris Part I

http://believermag.tumblr.com/post/18779782128/interview-with-chris-onstad-by-joseph-martin-part Part II Here he discusses the divorce briefly

http://believermag.tumblr.com/post/19736564596/interview-with-chris-onstad-cartoonist-by-joseph Part III Discusses the store in a question

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The stuff about the store doesn't make a lot of sense. People don't have the discretionary income for a t-shirt, but they have enough to donate for nothing, or pay for commissions? Not to mention the fact that plenty of other webcomics and small websites continue to support themselves through merchandise, even in the recession. I wonder if Achewood's audience is smaller than other webcomics or if he just had a lovely deal on the margins for his shirts.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Erebus posted:

The stuff about the store doesn't make a lot of sense. People don't have the discretionary income for a t-shirt, but they have enough to donate for nothing, or pay for commissions? Not to mention the fact that plenty of other webcomics and small websites continue to support themselves through merchandise, even in the recession. I wonder if Achewood's audience is smaller than other webcomics or if he just had a lovely deal on the margins for his shirts.

I would hazard a guess that it's none of the above. The whole Cookbook II fiasco is probably an issue he doesn't ever want to have to address again, and if he doesn't have an open "store" any more, then he gets to pretend like he never screwed all those folks out of their cash.

Plus, his whole statement about how he's just like Louis CK and the freemium content model is the wave of the future doesn't hold water with me; I just recently noticed that he took down that "EXCLUSIVE CONTENT" banner from the top of achewood.com that was linking to all of the old premium content with the caveat that you should donate what you feel it was worth. I would guess that nobody felt very inclined to donate after his shady history as a merchandiser!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tall Tale Teller posted:

That's so sad. :( Poor guy, I feel for him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

homeless poster posted:

Plus, his whole statement about how he's just like Louis CK and the freemium content model is the wave of the future doesn't hold water with me; I just recently noticed that he took down that "EXCLUSIVE CONTENT" banner from the top of achewood.com that was linking to all of the old premium content with the caveat that you should donate what you feel it was worth. I would guess that nobody felt very inclined to donate after his shady history as a merchandiser!

It's still there for me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Ouch, poor Chris. This changes the whole weird couple splitting up in the Nice Pete Goes To High School arc for me too drat.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Erebus posted:

I think it's more that running the shop and buying stock isn't profitable for him given the reduced demand for that kind of poo poo.

Physical merchandise management and shipping is kind of annoying. That's why most webcomic-y people are using Topatco lately. Topatco works since it's combining all the shops together so as to support operations easier basically. They have full-time people doing it as opposed to an author finding time to manage a warehouse of Roastbeef shirts that may or may not actually be bought for years.

Achewood doesn't exactly have like... MS Paint Adventures level fervor about it, where Hussie and associates have so much demand for his goods that a lot of time can be devoted to the stock since there's enough demand to justify the time/space.

There's no reason Onstad can't use things like Topatco though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zorak posted:

There's no reason Onstad can't use things like Topatco though.

Well people are probably going to be apprehensive to give him money after the whole "ripping people off" fiasco. I don't think Topatoco would get much profit from that.
But yeah poor Onstad divorce definitely sucks and explains 2011's derth of content (but not him stealing from people)

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I think I remember him saying his wife did most of the work for the store. It came up back when they had some kind of issue with their warehouse guy and had to get a new one. I may be remembering someone else though

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Van Dis posted:

Cornelius's script just reeks of Onstad trying too hard, which is saying something, considering the character.

Dude spoke a limerick to Todd in the first, what are you dead inside

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Maldraedior posted:

I think I remember him saying his wife did most of the work for the store. It came up back when they had some kind of issue with their warehouse guy and had to get a new one. I may be remembering someone else though

After a while he hired a guy to handle the merch.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

It just sounds like he has no concept of how to run a business, tried to sell 100 shirts instead of 1-3,branched out into glasses and mugs and poo poo way too fast, and then torpedoed his own customer base by blatantly stealing from them.

Wonder if he got caught stealing from his wife and that is why they divorced. Also I'd love to know how a job that kept you at home all day with the kid and available to be with your wife could possibly take up all his time. What a whiner.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 17, 2012

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Working from home can actually suck a lot, since there are a million distractions, and unless you're very disciplined, no real separation of "work time" and "off-time". So instead of going to your job, working 8 hours, then getting 6 hours of personal time, it can take 12 hours to get the same amount of work done with unsatisfying breaks and misc tasks thrown in.

But yeah Onstad seems to have done some things wrong overall.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
So it looks like the latest comic strip was removed. Or am I missing something?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Funkdreamer posted:

So it looks like the latest comic strip was removed. Or am I missing something?

So much for "comics resume in May", I guess.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What the hell? Did someone save a copy?

See what you did, WoodrowSkillson?? See??

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
The May 14th one? Or was there a newer one?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

The May 14th one? Or was there a newer one?

May 14th. Is it up for you? It's telling me it's not a valid date.
---
I liked this strip and felt relieved that we're seeing more of the cast again & are easing back into the fun parlor banter that helps cushion the longer stories. Connie and Todd both had some good dialogue. THAT SAID, Cornelius felt a little too Wodehousey and twee, but it was a good start. I can't imagine it's easy to slip back into so many complex characters and write them naturally after an extended furlough & he needs to cut himself some drat slack if he's taking down strips because of minor imperfections.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

mysterious frankie posted:

May 14th. Is it up for you? It's telling me it's not a valid date.

Yeah I can see it just fine.

mysterious frankie posted:

I liked this strip and felt relieved that we're seeing more of the cast again & are easing back into the fun parlor banter that helps cushion the longer stories. Connie and Todd both had some good dialogue. THAT SAID, Cornelius felt a little too Wodehousey and twee, but it was a good start. I can't imagine it's easy to slip back into so many complex characters and write them naturally after an extended furlough & he needs to cut himself some drat slack if he's taking down strips because of minor imperfections.

It felt like Cornelius was making fun of Todd or something by going too british, or that the entire conversation was how Ray thought it would go.

Saoshyant posted:

Put it on imgur for everyone else?

Comic's back.

Yeah I saved it to do that, but imgur was overloaded then forgot about it.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 17, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah I can see it just fine.

Put it on imgur for everyone else?

Comic's back.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 17, 2012

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I had the same problem earlier (the comic was missing) but now it's back! :iiam:

I imagine it's something going on with the site and should clear up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Speaking of merch, does anybody know if the shirts available at Zazzle are made/approved by Onstad? They seem to be the only game in town, but I don't want to buy a shirt if it's bootlegged or anything.