Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jabs posted:

I have a challenge for y'all.

I got Cool Kids, Inc. hooked on the idea of motorcycling. She's going to MSF it up here real soon now, and I made the terrible mistake of showing her a number of DRZ400SM videos, ranging from backing it in on the track to hauling rear end up Mulholland, to trail riding, to riding down stairs, to the famous long jump in SF.

She REALLY likes the idea of ONE bike that she can commute on, go do some spirited riding around the track at IMI or Bandimere here in Denver, and go up into the mountains and go camping on, with some trail/fire road riding.

Here's where it gets sticky.
I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, and 235#/106kg, and I get enough sag that I can touch toes on both sides.
She, on the other hand, is 5'4", Unknown-but-less-than-30" inseam, and I've got better than 50 pounds on her. She hopped on the DRZ this weekend, and there was no way she was going to touch the ground unless she slid off the side all the way to a knee.

Recommendations?

We stopped by the cycle shop on Saturday, and she did like the fit and feel of the TW200 (Seat is 6" lower, to start with)...
I did a little digging and found some links to 17" wheelsets for the TeeDub.
http://www.tw-parts.com/exklusives/images/17_05.jpg

With 140/80R17's seem like a good fit...

Alternately, Becktastic suggested a SuperSherpa.

Thoughts?

Do we get something like this in the US?

http://www.sylviastuurman.eu/motor/tricker/

quote:

After my accident, I had to find out a way to get on a motorcycle again.

My legs were too weak to handle the R1100GS immediately, and I also have to get used again to traffic without getting scared of every car approaching me.

Then we thought of the Yamaha Tricker: it's light, nimble and low: everything I could wish for.

Although its called a Yamaha Tricker, I think the model is something like Yamaha xg250? Maybe we have one similar here in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Safety Dance posted:

What in the world is "no tattos"?

He means "no tattoos", ie, don't offer your work as an amateur tattoo artist in trade for this bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Raven457 posted:

He means "no tattoos", ie, don't offer your work as an amateur tattoo artist in trade for this bike.

Is that a thing people do? Sounds like you'd be asking for herpes if you accepted that trade.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

Safety Dance posted:

What in the world is "no tattos"?

Since there is a high population of military troops here, tattoo artists often offer their services for a discounted price on an item, or will trade a tattoo for a product like an XBOX 360, for instance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Is that a thing people do? Sounds like you'd be asking for herpes if you accepted that trade.

I've seen maybe half a dozen people in CL want ads advertising their tattoo art as payment for whatever it is they're looking for. If it were a professional artist who was like "come down to my studio and we can make a deal" that would be one thing, but invariably "tatoo art skils" will just be stuck in there as a possibility alongside "4-wheeler no engne", "50 gallon aquarium", "alot of copper pipe" and so on.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

MotoMind posted:

I wouldn't pay $4500 for a DRZ unless it was nearly pristine. The mods add zero value and the owner obviously has the mental capacity of a snail.

Well, I found two recently.

This one looks really clean: http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2972161181.html

This other one is local: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/3002596933.html

What do you think? The first one looks good, has a lot of miles, but was serviced every 1,000 miles, and consequently is cheaper. The one in San Diego has less miles, but is more expensive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've got a decent lead on a converted DRZ 400S with Excel supermoto wheels.

Z3n, wasnt your DRZ a converted S? How was it? My plan is to eventually move to the SM forks and swingarm, but that might not be till fall or so.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Z3n, wasnt your DRZ a converted S? How was it? My plan is to eventually move to the SM forks and swingarm, but that might not be till fall or so.

That's probably not a bad idea. Where you really get screwed is buying an S model and having to buy a new wheelset, brakes, etc.

You're probably going to want the new forks ASAP as the DRZ is heavy enough. If you plan on messing around at all you don't want RSU forks. Luckily you should be able to find a set of USD forks off either the SM model or an RM pretty easily.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I see them regularly go on SMJ for decent prices. From what it sounds like over email, its a decent conversion, seeing it in person will tell.

edit: i just realized i say decent alot

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I have medium confidence for how this is going to end.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
You don't need the ramps dude.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Safety Dance posted:

I have medium confidence for how this is going to end.

If you don't either back up and blip the throttle off the edge or just pick it up tail-end first and unload it you must hereby turn in your sumo and man card and ride a vespa for the next year.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

JP Money posted:

If you don't either back up and blip the throttle off the edge or just pick it up tail-end first and unload it you must hereby turn in your sumo and man card and ride a vespa for the next year.

I'm such a sumo rebel that I'm going to ride it despite what you say.

Unloading was easy. Getting it loaded was a pain. Story time:

I had just signed the title and positioned it in front of the ramp. I put the side stand down and walked off to go adjust something or something. The bike rolled forward a little bit and it fell right over. Broke the clutch lever and a turn signal lens, and I had ridden it precisely 0 feet.

Oh well, the brake lever is already an ASV lever. Now they can match! I'll use some surgu and a zip tie to patch up the turn signal. Pictures sometime later.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I just blew the spark plug out of my drz, and there is some but nort a lot of aluminum on the threads. Is this a new head type of problem, or can it be repaired via re-tapping and insert or welds and re-tap? Haven't looked at the head yet so i don't know what the hole looks like.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Fell through, was not as nice as it looked in pictures.

Thats twice now, dammit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I had my s model converted with custom triples and stuff and rm forks, so it wasn't quite the usual setup, but the wife's was a converted s with the stock stuff and it wasn't bad. Wouldn't consider it a downside unless I was planning on doing a lot of tracking...and the ever present bling factor.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

So, I did some driving around today, dodging golf-ball sized hail, and saw a couple of bikes for sale.

1978 Yamaha XT500. Stock and 3.5gal plastic tank. Progressive-brand gas coilover rear shocks, new odo/speedo since the original is shot, luggage rack, plastic handguards, jet kit, new tires. Says "<10k miles for sure" but the odo is busted and not installed. Guy wants $2500 for it, but that seems high with absolutely no way of knowing mileage. Offer 2k? Run away?

2000 KLR650. Lots of mods. Acerbis handguards, steel cage, steel brush guard, new tires, complete gauge swap to some custom enduro-track computer-lookin thing. Aluminum box luggage on racks, corbin seat, new touring-style windshield. Unknown mileage; it's not displayed when the computer is off, I guess. Asking $2900. I'm thinking 2k on this one, too, unless it's got disturbingly complete maintenance history; the plastics are pretty sun-faded.

These are summer prices; I think these will both end up moving for about what they're being offered at, but I know they'd be around $1500 or less come winter.

epix
Aug 7, 2004
Finished up some more wrenching on my old n heavy 97 DR650; added some USD forks from a 2007 RMZ250 done up by TechCare. KLX450 Headlight with HID, Yamaha front fender. Still need to mount the TrailTech speedo wire and put on some turn signals.

dash;

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats awesome!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That's a well polished turd :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So, I did some driving around today, dodging golf-ball sized hail, and saw a couple of bikes for sale.

1978 Yamaha XT500. Stock and 3.5gal plastic tank. Progressive-brand gas coilover rear shocks, new odo/speedo since the original is shot, luggage rack, plastic handguards, jet kit, new tires. Says "<10k miles for sure" but the odo is busted and not installed. Guy wants $2500 for it, but that seems high with absolutely no way of knowing mileage. Offer 2k? Run away?

2000 KLR650. Lots of mods. Acerbis handguards, steel cage, steel brush guard, new tires, complete gauge swap to some custom enduro-track computer-lookin thing. Aluminum box luggage on racks, corbin seat, new touring-style windshield. Unknown mileage; it's not displayed when the computer is off, I guess. Asking $2900. I'm thinking 2k on this one, too, unless it's got disturbingly complete maintenance history; the plastics are pretty sun-faded.

These are summer prices; I think these will both end up moving for about what they're being offered at, but I know they'd be around $1500 or less come winter.

Far too expensive for both. I wouldn't buy either unless they come down on price in the range of what you've got in mind.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

Far too expensive for both. I wouldn't buy either unless they come down on price in the range of what you've got in mind.

Are you still thinking $2k is high?

Also, the KLR apparently has a trailtech speedo. It looks just like the one in epix's dash pic. Are they good?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Are you still thinking $2k is high?

Also, the KLR apparently has a trailtech speedo. It looks just like the one in epix's dash pic. Are they good?

There's market variation everywhere that is difficult to account for, but I'd say 2k is crazy for a 78 XT500, and 2k or a little more is ok for a KLR with a lot of the farkles people like (aluminum boxes, etc). Trailtechs are fine dash units, although they tend to be not the most durable.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I rode 150 miles pillion and then another 150 miles on fast A-roads to become the proud owner of a 2001 DR-Z400E SM.

The previous owner wanted me to test ride it before I'd hand over the cash. In my first 30 seconds on the bike I'd crashed after locking up the front wheel in the rain. The next 90 seconds of riding included at least 2 wheelies, a powerslide and locking up the rear wheel.

Picture to follow

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Orange Someone posted:

I rode 150 miles pillion and then another 150 miles on fast A-roads to become the proud owner of a 2001 DR-Z400E SM.

The previous owner wanted me to test ride it before I'd hand over the cash. In my first 30 seconds on the bike I'd crashed after locking up the front wheel in the rain. The next 90 seconds of riding included at least 2 wheelies, a powerslide and locking up the rear wheel.

Picture to follow

Guess it's true about SM's making you ride like a dong. GOOD GOD I want one.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Gweenz posted:

Guess it's true about SM's making you ride like a dong. GOOD GOD I want one.

So much fun. Didn't do too many wheelies after those first few; wanted to get home in one piece.

Completely different bike to what I'm used to. Which is this . . .

The one in the front is mine. Pay attention to the one behind. That's the one that little ol' 6'3" me was pillon on for 150 miles today. I do enjoying pillioning like that, I can see right over my driver.

PO kindly gave me a Clymers manual, a spare headstock/bearings/thingy, some leftover oil and a spare mudguard. In fact, it was the dirt mudguard, the bike currently wearing a SM mudguard. But we came down by bike. Fortunately I had packed spare ratchet straps and duck tape.

So, 150 miles later (and one false alarm breakdown recovery. Seriously, why did the bike wait 45 mins before deciding to run again?) and I am home. Massive grin on my face, and it's the most I've ever leaned (leant?) a bike. Every bit of the front tyre used, and almost all of the rear. I've still got a row of those bristly bits on the outside edge of my CB400's front tyre.

Now to fit it in the tiny garage that already has 3 other motorbikes, 2 pushbikes and a lawnmower.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
So I'm looking at getting a supermoto soon. I think I've decided on a WR250X since it's fuel injected, really good mpg, low maintenance, I also like my local yamaha dealer more than the others. I'm not too concerned about the power on it since I used to ride a TW200. I'm mainly looking for the handling and maybe racing it at a kart track with the other SMs later on.

I haven't gotten the chance to ride one yet but there are a few that I'm thinking of calling about.

This one is at the top of the list:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/3010007158.html

code:
$5400
Orig owner, only 2400 miles. Adult owned, used mostly around town on the street.

Always garaged.

65+ mpg freeway

-Comes with super moto street wheels and stock dirt wheels with the following tires
Street F=Metzler M3/R=Metzler M3
On/off road F=Bridgestone stock/R=Bridgeston stock
Off road F=Michelin M12/R=Michelin AC10
-FMF power/mega (forget which) header
-FMF Q4 spark arrestor / silencer
-FMF Power Programmer
-Cycra pro bend metal&plastic hand guards
-Red anodized timing plugs and oil filler cap
-Magnetized tip drain plug
-K&N air filter
-Graves Motorsports smog pump block-off kit
-Yamaha AIS (air induction system) removal kit
-I got a lic plate mount eliminator kit. I never messed around with installing it, but its included as well.
It looks to be the R model with X wheels, Is there any difference with the suspension on the R model? Everything else seems to be the same from what I've seen.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 14, 2012

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not a motard, but I'm retaking the MSF as a refresher and lucked into a DR200 for my bike.

Even that little fucker makes me want to ride like a dong, and makes te course laughably easy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

ride like a dong
For a multitude of reasons, this evening marked the first time I really pinned the throttle on the Husky. My word that thing is fast.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Orange Someone posted:

Who has two thumbs and loves sumos

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

NinjaTech posted:

It looks to be the R model with X wheels, Is there any difference with the suspension on the R model? Everything else seems to be the same from what I've seen.

According to random posts on ADVrider the valving is different in the shocks and the sprocket is a tooth off. Other than that just wheels and brakes it seems.

He is asking a lot though, even with all the add-ons. It took me awhile but I finally picked up one yesterday for what I wanted, $4k even. Took it for a test ride and drat is it smooth and comfortable. Half the power of the Husky but really feels just as light. Completely stock other than 14/47 gearing, de-baffled exhaust, AIS and Flapper done and nice heated grips. Guy sold it cause he got a Super Tenere.

My only concern, other then the fuel pump going as it is a 2008 with 8k miles, is that he replaced the sprockets. The stock rear has a rubber outlining the teeth which I'm guessing is the cush drive? The replacement sprocket doesn't have this though, shouldn't it be replaced post-haste? I don't want to have to order connecting rods for two supermotos now.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Are the X's valved stiffer? The cheapest ones I see in the seattle area are at $5k. one is a 2700mi 2010 that's stock with sliders and fender eliminator. There is also a 2008 with 6k with bark busters, tail rack, and fender elimantor.

Do you think I'd be better off trying to get the stock 2010 WRX down to $4800 or something? The pricing on all of them seemed fair to me with the mods and extra wheels on some of them. I'm just not sure how much of a difference the suspension makes.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I'm not sure what difference the shocks make, but I'd want it setup properly for the wheels and what I am doing with it.

As far as the prices go, most are priced high and it took me months of searching a 250 mile radius to get one for the price I wanted to pay. I haven't even seen any 09s or 2010s around me though, only 08s which is what mine is.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I found this post on ADVrider about the suspension. Still not sure though since they have slightly different part numbers. Thought that could just be the settings as they seem to be from the post.

The WR250R and WR250X have identical suspensions. The factory damping settings for the front fork are identical. The factory damping settings for the rear shock are slightly different. The standard shock preload is the same.

A summary of the adjustments, using the service manual terms:

* All adjustments are made starting from maximum damping.
* Maximum damping is always found by turning the adjustment screw or knob in the clockwise direction (as you look at the head of the adjustment screw).
* All adjustments are measured in counterclockwise "clicks" from maximum damping.

Fork adustment:
* Always adjust the left and right front fork tubes evenly.

Fork rebound damping is set at the top of each fork tube. As you look down at the adjusting screw, turn it gently but completely clockwise until it stops. This is maximum rebound damping ("Hard" suspension).

Maximum (hard) = 1 click out.
Standard = 10 clicks out.
Minimum (soft) = 12 clicks out.

Fork compression damping is set at the bottom of each fork tube. Pry out the small black rubber plug at the very end of the tube. Turn clockwise to reach maximum compression damping. Replace plug when finished.

Maximum (hard) = 1 click out.
Standard = 10 clicks out.
Minimum (soft) = 19 clicks out.

Rear shock adjustment:

Shock rebound damping is set by the knurled knob at the bottom of the shock. Access from right side of bike. "Clockwise" on this is as if you were looking up from underneath, just like the compression damping on the fork. That is, turn the side of the knob closest to you towards the front of the bike to go clockwise.
Turn clockwise to max damping.

Max = 1 click out
Std = 12 clicks out (WR250R)
Std = 13 clicks out (WR250X)
Min = 25 clicks out

Shock compression damping is accessed from the left side of bike. It is the small screw at the top of the external oil reservoir. This one, on my bike, I cannot hear "click" - I have to go by feel. It is a very light sensation.
Turn clockwise to max damping.

Max = 1 click out
Std = 10 clicks out (WR250R)
Std = 7 clicks out (WR250X)
Min = 12 clicks out

Remember, "Max" always means maximum damping. That means hard suspension. Min means minimum damping. That means soft suspension.

Either way I'm going to see about riding some of those bikes this weekend. There also isn't anything on the portland or spokane CL's.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ok so it's only the settings that are different, good info I'm going to be playing with the clickers later.

...I already had a low speed off on the new WRX. Took it for a little test drive in damp roads after I got the paperwork and the front washed out turning behind taco bell. No damage to the bike or me other then a sheared off handguard bolt, but after I got home I found the front tire pressure to be 45 psi. I knew I should of checked it but 45? Seriously?

Edit: I also think they might be the original tires, BT-90s.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 16, 2012

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Gnaghi posted:

Ok so it's only the settings that are different, good info I'm going to be playing with the clickers later.

...I already had a low speed off on the new WRX. Took it for a little test drive in damp roads after I got the paperwork and the front washed out turning behind taco bell. No damage to the bike or me other then a sheared off handguard bolt, but after I got home I found the front tire pressure to be 45 psi. I knew I should of checked it but 45? Seriously?

Edit: I also think they might be the original tires, BT-90s.

wow, that's pretty drat high. At least it wasn't on a VFR1200 like my friend did on his test ride at the dealer. Tires still has the mold release and just washed out so now he's stuck with it.

Definitely one more reason I'm wanting an SM is not having to deal with fairings when working on it or dumping it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

Who has two thumbs and loves sumos

THIS GUY :ocelot:

Today I bought the worlds cleanest, stockest lowest mileage DRZ SM. A 2006 with 4800 miles, to be exact. One owner, older guy, did nothing to it but change the oil and put the Suzuki aftermarket seat on it for more rear end comfort (stock one included of course).

Dont have any more pictures, as it quickly became dark and rainy.

And anyone who has ever purchased a used bike knows how awesome this is:

Cant wait to get out and dong it up!!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

About time. Jesus.

(Congrats :) )

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Good things comes to those who wait. And those who scrounge craigslist forever.

I'm happy for you. :) Now don't crash it and make it ugly! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Woo, clean DRZ buddies. Well, mine was until I test rode it.

And it had 5000 miles on, whilst being a 2001. That's 5000 miles with the speedo over-reading by nearly 50% (or at least I hope it's over-reading. Otherwise I was doing 90mph past some houses)

*edit*

Also, I clicked on my post history in this thread to find my userid for a different thread and noticed this

Orange Someone on May 30, 2010 posted:

. . .

And the moment I get a garage and some disposable income, I am so getting me a DRZ-400-SM. I rode that XR-125L 80 miles last week to my sister's and I'd forgotten how much fun the riding position, the wide bars and . . . I dunno, but it was awesome, even if I was only running on 10 bhp.

After posting that nearly two years ago, it seems I did get myself a DR-Z. I didn't get myself a garage, but I have stolen my sister's (It's now a different garage than the one I rode the XR to 2 years ago, but the XR is still being used by her and sat next to the SM). Anxiously awaiting the weekend so I can take it out again. drat this working 200 miles away.

L-R: Sister's ER-5, the DR-Z, the XR125L and my CB400 half hidden in the corner

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 16, 2012

• Locked thread