Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jojoinnit posted:

Nope. Most of the fixes are for phones in a recovery loop. I'm not in a recovery loop, I'm just frozen on the Apple logo on startup and all I can do is hold home and lock to force it into recovery.
DFU restore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Any privacy concerns for using the third party Siri solutions? I assume they'd be able to see all the things you're asking Siri but it's nothing more than just the commands sent?

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

My fiancée was on a phone plan with a friend of ours until the friend wasn't able to afford paying the bill anymore, which left her without a phone. I needed a new phone, so we both got an iPhone 4s.

I was looking around and now I'm wondering, I'm not able to jailbreak right now since the phone came running 5.1 and I don't have the blob for 5.0.1 to downgrade, right?

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!

jojoinnit posted:

I got a text while installing Spite and it messed up the download. After the install said it finished and Cydia did a reboot it froze on the Apple logo. Now it won't boot up and forcing a reset tells me to plug it into iTunes which tells me its in Recovery mode and needs to restore.

How can I avoid this? Is there a Restore I can do through a jailbreak program?

Edit: Tried the TinyUmbrella fix. Not working, just freezes again.

This happened to me, froze on the apple logo. I used Redsnow's just boot tethered option and it got me working again.

Although I can't get Spite to work, Siri just tells me it can't connect right now, even using that proxy posted earlier.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Lincolnstein posted:

I was looking around and now I'm wondering, I'm not able to jailbreak right now since the phone came running 5.1 and I don't have the blob for 5.0.1 to downgrade, right?
Correct.

pod2g has an untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak working on everything so it shouldn't be a problem in a few weeks.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Question about jailbreaking, do you still need iTunes (on your PC) for anything after you jailbreak? All I use iTunes for is getting podcasts/audiobooks and books (through Stanza) onto my iPad and I'd love to cut out of the middle-man app and not have to load up iTunes just to copy stuff from my HD into iTunes to then sync to the iPad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

nessin posted:

Question about jailbreaking, do you still need iTunes (on your PC) for anything after you jailbreak? All I use iTunes for is getting podcasts/audiobooks and books (through Stanza) onto my iPad and I'd love to cut out of the middle-man app and not have to load up iTunes just to copy stuff from my HD into iTunes to then sync to the iPad.
I don't think there are jailbroken apps that will add music you dump into a folder to the library (unfortunately, since this would be nice) but aren't there other programs that can sync to ios devices?

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Are there any decent apps that will let me play music from SkyDrive or Box? Got 25gb and 50gb of storage respectively and want to use them as a free alternative to iCloud. The native apps for both services let me play tracks individually, but no playlists or automatically playing the next track in a folder.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Hermi On Me posted:

This happened to me, froze on the apple logo. I used Redsnow's just boot tethered option and it got me working again.

Although I can't get Spite to work, Siri just tells me it can't connect right now, even using that proxy posted earlier.
I couldn't get it to work, but I did manage to restore it through redsn0w, unfortunately its now on 4.2.1. How can I put it on 5.0.1, is it just a case of selecting a 5.0.1 ipsw through redsn0w and doing a jailbreak again?

Btw I initially made a custom baseband ipsw through redsn0w, but when I tried to select it it told me it wasn't compatible with that version of redsn0w, even though thats what I just used to make the bloody thing.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

It's funny, the people I know with a 4S never use Siri, yet those without a 4S are jumping through hoops and bending over backwards to try and get it on their device.

Anyway, the new redsn0w is out:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/22834622159/5x-redux

This version supports installing an IPSW direct to your device, bypassing iTunes. Your SHSH is still needed, however.

It can downgrade an iPad 2 or iPhone 4S at 5.1/5.1.1 to 5.0.1 so that you can jailbreak it.

Unfortunately, this magic may be temporary. The method involves temporarily updating to the latest firmware before downgrading, so it is something that Apple can fix (post 5.1.1). 5.1.2 may come out next week and block the A5+ downgrades.

Another note: if your 4S is on 5.0.1, and you want to clean restore and re-jailbreak, it will be updated to 5.1.1 (included latest baseband code), before being downgraded back to 5.0.1 (but with the 5.1.1 baseband still installed). I sorta like that, since the 4S is still new, I'd want the latest modem firmware possible. It may not help with someone using Gevey or whatever those SIM unlock cards are called.

Okay, reading through the info in the link above, am I to understand that since my 4S came with 5.1 preinstalled this will not work for me? Or can I download the 5.0.1 IPSW and redsn0w will do some techno-voodoo to it to make it work?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Okay, reading through the info in the link above, am I to understand that since my 4S came with 5.1 preinstalled this will not work for me? Or can I download the 5.0.1 IPSW and redsn0w will do some techno-voodoo to it to make it work?

You need an SHSH, so you're screwed, unfortunately.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

status posted:

You need an SHSH, so you're screwed, unfortunately.

Ah, that sucks. Still though, an actual 5.1 jailbreak doesn't seem too far off now.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

What's the jury on spite/spire?

I went through a guide but it started throwing errors while grabbing some ruby stuff and I couldn't fix it. So is it worth debugging?

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
I got stuck at the Apple boot logo after installing Spite. Had to use redsn0w just boot, as mentioned above, to get it booting. Was then able to turn on Siri and it works a treat. Pretty happy with it.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
I installed spire on my 4 yesterday and had no problems at all. I did get a bit worried as the install looked like it had got stuck at one point ( I had tried an older Siri port that messed up and forced me to restore my phone so I was clenching tightly) but it just took a while for cydia to download the files. I used that free "three little pigs" proxy that was posted earlier in the thread and it's worked fine so far. :)

If any 4s owners that don't use Siri want to help out they can donate their Siri key to "feed the piggies".

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Upmarket Mango posted:

Ah, that sucks. Still though, an actual 5.1 jailbreak doesn't seem too far off now.

A 5.1.1 jailbreak is just as close as the 5.1 jailbreak, and 5.1.1 contains a bunch of bug fixes, security patches, and new modem firmware for the 4S.
I'd go ahead and update to 5.1.1 now.

Edit:
pod2g says the 5.1.x untether does NOT work on the iPod touch 3 or iPhone 3GS. :(

It is confirmed working on the iPhone 4S 5.1.1.

Also, I don't know for sure, but they may be hinting that the jailbreak might be released during a big security conference May 21st-24th. (pod2g: "It's like something big's going to happen at HITB related to jailbreaking")

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 14, 2012

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!
I couldn't get Spite to work after putting in the proxy details. Siri just kept telling me there was an error and it couldn't help me right now. When I uninstalled it on 5.01, my phone slowed to a crawl and all the animations would move at 1/10th speed. Lots of apps were unresponsive and the phone froze several times.

I restored my phone to 5.1, but I kind of want to temp fate again to try Spite on 5.1.

To be fair about Spite though, it does say in the instructions that you will need to do a tethered boot after you install it (on 5.01).

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
If you used the three little pigs proxy, you have a five minute window every two hours to get allocated a slot, otherwise it won't work!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm using this guide

http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/setup-a-siri-proxy-server-for-spire/

and it keeps making GBS threads itself after step 4 when it tries to get ruby-rvm

any tips?

edit: I forget the exact error but i'm pretty sure one of them was somehow not having permission to modify usr/sources and not having access to group "admins" on a fresh install of the latest ubuntu on virtualbox

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 15, 2012

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I've been out of the JB arena for the past few weeks, so can someone just tell me this: is there an untethered JB out for 5.1 yet?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I've been out of the JB arena for the past few weeks, so can someone just tell me this: is there an untethered JB out for 5.1 yet?

There is supposed to be one making GBS threads itself here soon - none currently released to the public AFAIK.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This seems like a pretty cool keyboard extension:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjpUNe9Nbww

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is there anything on Cydia to get rid of an update badge?

And no, this is not for a cracked app. Yesterday out of nowhere I now have an update badge on my General app (saying that there is an iOS update available).

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hands Colon posted:

And no, this is not for a cracked app. Yesterday out of nowhere I now have an update badge on my General app (saying that there is an iOS update available).
Several.

You probably got the badge because 5.1.1 is available.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007

Mr Hands Colon posted:

yup, "noOTA Badge" is what you need.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

m0isty posted:

Sweet, thank you.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

m0isty posted:

I already had noOTA Badge, and the 5.1.1 update badge showed up anyway.

Re-installing it and respringing seemed to hide the badge again.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

What's the recommended app to display signal strength numerically?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Baram posted:

What's the recommended app to display signal strength numerically?

SBSettings

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

status posted:

SBSettings

Or he can dial *3001#12345#* if he's on AT&T. I don't know if that works for other carriers though.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

1997 posted:

Or he can dial *3001#12345#* if he's on AT&T. I don't know if that works for other carriers though.

Ah, that works on Rogers as well. Seems to be an iOS command rather than a carrier thing.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
No idea why they are doing this, but apparently Apple is censoring the word "jailbreak" in the iTunes Store.

Do a search in the iTunes Store for Jailbreak and you'll see J*******k on several things. Some of them songs, some of them apps.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/17/apple-apparently-censoring-the-word-jailbreak-in-us-itunes-sto/

So apparently jailbreak is a dirty word now.

Totally unrelated, but this app is censored and it's like the worst app I've ever seen.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/j*******k-jail-break-sale/id309917553?mt=8

echobucket fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 17, 2012

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

echobucket posted:

No idea why they are doing this, but apparently Apple is censoring the word "jailbreak" in the iTunes Store.

Do a search in the iTunes Store for Jailbreak and you'll see J*******k on several things. Some of them songs, some of them apps.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/17/apple-apparently-censoring-the-word-jailbreak-in-us-itunes-sto/

So apparently jailbreak is a dirty word now.

I'd suspect scammers making "jailbreak your phone" apps and ignorant people snapping them up

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

I'd suspect scammers making "jailbreak your phone" apps and ignorant people snapping them up

Why not just yank all those apps from the app store? And then reject similar apps in the future.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

echobucket posted:

Totally unrelated, but this app is censored and it's like the worst app I've ever seen.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/j*******k-jail-break-sale/id309917553?mt=8
No, this is the best thing ever. $10 for an app called Jailbreak Jail Break? I bet he's made a ton of money off of it.

VVVV: Beats me, all I know is, i like how it has 3 reviews, he probably made at least $30.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 17, 2012

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Blimpkin posted:

No, this is the best thing ever. $10 for an app called Jailbreak Jail Break? I bet he's made a ton of money off of it.

What I don't understand is, how this gets through App approval.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

status posted:

SBSettings
Any lightweight ones? I stopped using SBSettings when I switched over to IntelliscreenX since there's no way to completely disable the pane SBSettings adds to the dropdown and it duplicates a lot of the functionality. I much prefer the look of IntelliscreenX and how the toggles are a pull down on it.

e:nevermind. I could toggle the setting and it persists through uninstalling SBSettings.

baram. fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 17, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's ten dallors for a clock that does nothing I thought it made you have a background fir ur itouch when u unlock it but it does nothing!!! For 10 dallors

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
What's New in Version 1.0.3
Added Italian localization

edit: wow, this guy is the best developer ever:

Another app of his is called Hot Girls! for $2.99
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hot-girls!/id402427895?mt=8

quote:

Bad app

by Bcfjmui
This app is not worth the money. Just a 15 puzzle of flames. Not good.I want my money back. This is a scam.

quote:

Waste of money

by Topper187
This app is a total waste of money. The whole thing was misleading of 21+ material. Not to mention there was no info on the app itself. It was a rip off I want my money back

another app called SEX GAME - $4.99
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sex-game/id398136079?mt=8

quote:

Gay

by Rogelio Guerrero
Not even sex game

quote:

Don't fall for it it's a trick

by 1536785428846
Worst game ever it's a big fools joke just family fun slide puzzles

I mean, folks, you're on a web-capable device. :psyduck: Literally typing "sex" in to a google search will get you :psyduck::psyduck:

VVV: sup

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Oh man, if you google for this guy's name Boris Kreynin you'll come across even more gems from him.

Such as "Tank Time"...

quote:

This app would be updated soon and all the updates would be free for though who have bought this program once.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/tanks-time/id402431300?mt=8

and "The Apple"

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/370441320/id370441320

Which is described thusly.

quote:

THE APPLE! WHAT IT IS.

And my favorite "Hot Girls 21+"

http://itunes.apple.com/app/hot-girls!/id402427895?mt=8

which according to the reviews doesn't contain any pictures of hot girls but only a sliding puzzle game of a photo of some flames.

Anyway, sorry for the derail, but this stuff is hilarious.

• Locked thread