Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I ran a session of Pathfinder a few days ago. Based loosely on the official campaign "The Sixfold Trial", I wanted to run the play scene, albiet with a drastically different script that was more focused on comedy. The results were pretty fun.

The players were:

unusualgoth as Rok'San, already established in the group as a violent sex-fiend.
tehsnakerer as Runt, another violent character with a perchant for acrobatics. Also he can't read...
neo (Newbie to the game) played a Bard named Eddie Beethoven Mercury King Charles The Third. Yep.
bb9 as Kur'wreah, a solid fighter for the group. The most sensible player.

The team get a message to go to a town and find a contact, with code words assigned to them. As soon as the game started they all ran to the market table with all the chicken. Once that was done they headed to the tavern (Not above fantasy cliches here!) where they were to guess who the contact was by using the codephase. I expected it to take a while but Runt stood up onto a table and shouted the codephrase to EVERYONE, and then to their faces. By process of elimination they found the contact, who promptly slapped him.

The objective was to retrieve an Amulet Of The Planes from a baron who enjoys performances, and so they audition for a play which has a high mortality rate. I custom wrote the script with the usual bad riffs and memes (Including The Room, GI Joe, and a whole lot more), and given Runt's inability to read Eddie moved in to stick next to Runt to help him read the lines. :)

To cut a story short, the session was pretty good fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Rufus posted:

We had at least one player with a 0/0 mechwarrior which is like equivalent to a 20th level 3.x D&D character, or a 30th 4th. by BT rules he simply cannot be any better!)

To give a bit of illumination here for those who haven't played Battletech: At close range when an average 'Mech pilot is hitting 41.66% of the time*, this guy is hitting 91.66% of the time. At long range, however, thanks to the bell curve of a 2d6 roll this balloons out to 2.77% of the time for the average pilot vs. 41.66% for the elite pilot.

In effect, this means that by staying at range a pilot of that skill level is virtually inviolate while the poor sap with the average pilot is poo poo out of luck. The elite pilot is literally doing between 220-1503% of the average pilot's damage over time.

What 'Mech did the 0/0 pilot have, by the way?

*The rule of thumb for a to-hit roll being a gunnery skill of 4, +2 for moving at running speed, +2 for an enemy moving 5-6 hexes.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 13, 2012

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
^ He took the Raven of all things. He plans on modding it to eventually be a close in speed striker.

Other choices available were a Phoenix Hawk mod with 2 MLs, 1 LL, a Shadow Hawk stock, stock Hunchback, and the Dervish. At least those are the designs I remember.

(I told him he should get a Hollander, stand still, and called shot heads at Clan Mechs. Salvage alone he could break the loving campaign with that thing.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
A 0/0 mechwarrior in a Raven is like an expert tank commander in a Volvo with a cannon duct taped to the roof.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

^ He took the Raven of all things. He plans on modding it to eventually be a close in speed striker.

Other choices available were a Phoenix Hawk mod with 2 MLs, 1 LL, a Shadow Hawk stock, stock Hunchback, and the Dervish. At least those are the designs I remember.

(I told him he should get a Hollander, stand still, and called shot heads at Clan Mechs. Salvage alone he could break the loving campaign with that thing.)

Wait when did they add called shots to the head? In my day we had to called shot alternating legs or torso sections.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glitterbomber posted:

A 0/0 mechwarrior in a Raven is like an expert tank commander in a Volvo with a cannon duct taped to the roof.
All the more insulting when they kill you then. Sometimes, that's the most important thing in life.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
More Star Wars! Guess what? The Battle for Coruscant still isn't over. I'm just going to go ahead and assume people have read the last few posts I made on the topic of our Star Wars game.

So, a few things that happened today:

*We got out of the aforementioned ray-shielded bunker. This was accomplished through three things - one, ray-shielding doesn't stop physical objects, so the laser drills and such we had couldn't make holes in the wall, but vibrodaggers could. Two, the door that had locked behind us was a starship's blast door, and because engineers are engineers, they didn't disable the emergency release - they just slapped concrete over it, because, poo poo, they have a ton of work to do so go with the simple solution. And three, both PCs trapped inside the room are demolitions experts.

So we got the door opened. The stormtroopers outside heard a door open and opened fire... on the door they were pointed at, where some of our troopers were holed up. Not the door we actually opened. Eight grenades later, the stormtroopers were chunky salsa. Unfortunately, so were the field pieces they were firing, and when the power pack on one of those goes it makes a big boom. The medics helped us hear again.

After that, though, we found the facility that the trap was intended to conceal - and it turns out that this wasn't a HoloNet uplink facility per se... it was the command and control system for the entire HoloNet. The guy running it basically said "if you damage my systems I will damage you." And we promised we wouldn't. We were actually pretty chill with this guy; dude's a techie. I'm a techie. There's a level of respect there. Besides, the equipment needed to be undamaged - the stuff was somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 years old. This was as close as I was getting to a religious experience. :D

The Imperials gave us exactly one hour to leave or they would take "drastic measures." There was fear that said measures might have included the destruction of the entire facility, which would kind of plunge the galaxy into a new Dark Age and all, so we took them up on that offer... but not before we'd downloaded pretty much everything we could find, including Imperial encryption protocols and message logs and basically a wealth of intelligence data to sift through if we survive.

Now, aboveground while this is going on, a few things have happened, including a really slick counter-encirclement strategy that Flint put together to let us put some pressure on the Imperials between our main troop concentration and Imperial Center. In space, not much action is happening but we do get some interesting communiques...

...one's from a General Han Solo. General Solo is on Endor. He was preparing to blow up the shield generators so the Death Star could be attacked and then suddenly the generators powered down and the Death Star kinda, you know, left. He would like someone to tell him what in the blue gently caress is going on.

...the other is from Admiral Greenfield, who's the guy that the Rebels sent to attack Kuat Drive Yards. He's planning to break out of the blockade he's currently in and come rendezvous with us, bringing with him his ships and the ships that were under construction at KDY, or at least those that are spaceworthy. They're not all 100% completed, but hey, even the hulk of an Imperial Star Destroyer makes for some really impressive chaff.

So the ground-bound PCs have all rendezvoused by this point. We've cleared a corridor where our spaceborne units can come down into atmosphere through the simple expedient of finding the planetary defense cannons, killing all the men manning them, and then manning them ourselves; we have space and air superiority at this point. The local nobles are all attempting to flee... and failing, as a rule. In front of us a Ghtroc Light Freighter crashes into the ground, and a bunch of nobles spill out, some of whom manage to escape.

The nobles also have bodyguards. I hired them for two months and said "Welcome to the Rebel Alliance." poo poo, they're gun-toting thugs, and no one ELSE was using 'em, so...

Examining the freighter found us some slave collars. I found the guy who they belonged to and beat him to a bloody pulp - enough of a pulp to earn my first Dark Side point, in fact. Hey, righteous anger is still anger. The pilot, it turned out, was also some kind of shapeshifting alien whose racial name no one could recall... but we'd met him before, and another of his race is actually hunting us. So he done got sedated.

Lemme think, was there anything else neat that happened... some of the plot was slowed a bit because of player absence, so the conclusion - which we might possibly have reached today - is going to have to wait another two weeks for the next game session.

Oh, right, I remember. Two other points of interest:

1) There are plans in place to evacuate the planet. No one seems to have told the ground-pounders this, so we told them that all their officers are leaving them behind to die.

2) We intercepted a message sent five days ago - before the battle even began - from the Emperor. It was, in effect, a timed message, primed to go out at this time, containing contingency instructions and the like, and seemed pretty clearly a 'this is what you do if I die' message. We distributed that one widely, too. The COMPNOR forces seem to have been hit especially hard in the morale department by that one - not only is the Emperor not saving them (and he should save them, right? They're his favorites!), but he's expressly leaving them to die because he never cared about them anyways.

It's all coming to a head real fuckin' soon and I still don't know what's up with Endor and I give pretty even odds that at least half the PCs don't survive the next session and it's glorious.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I for one am very glad that your battle isn't over yet. If it gets resolved then we don't get any more of your update posts.

I would soooo love to be in your campaign...

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

quote:

We had at least one player with a 0/0 mechwarrior which is like equivalent to a 20th level 3.x D&D character, or a 30th 4th. by BT rules he simply cannot be any better!)
I'm pretty sure he cheated because I just had this conversation yesterday about how 0/0 pilots were errated into oblivion with my GM.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 14, 2012

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

MadScientistWorking posted:

I'm pretty sure he cheated because I just had this conversation yesterday about how 0/0 pilots were errated into oblivion with my GM.

My Dear Sirrah,

Please do not tell me how to run my game. While it is your OPINION that 0/0 pilots are awful and stupid and you hate them this is my game and I will thank you, to not attempt to usurp control from its rightful game master.

Additionally, I'll have you know that several tests on both Livejournal and Facebook have confirmed me as a sufferer of Asperger's Syndrome, my good man, and as such, disagreements are a violation of my civil rights and could be considered assault with a deadly weapon in a court of criminal law.

However, against my better judgement, if you are willing to come back to game and perform a brief song and dance about how 0/0 pilots are the best aspect of Battletech and any GM who uses them is wonderful and cool and doesn't smell like old milk at all, I am prepared to allow you to watch the game QUIETLY from a distance of no less than 20 feet, but no more than 30. (Any further and I will not be able to monitor your facial expressions for distaste, which would constitute a literally physical attack, as discussed earlier.)

Sincerely,
:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 14, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Speaking of Battletech. There were two fairly young kids that were actually really interested in the Battletech game yesterday. So I was sitting there explaining to them how the game worked and answering question. It was really kind of adorably cute in that they were asking questions as to the manner in which my Warhammer blew up and why we were retreating. The one kid actually said,"Did it just leave the armor standing there when it blew up?"

Then during a game of Rifts:
Player: What is it with you and duct tape? Its been hundreds of years since its been invented. Hasn't there been something better invented yet.
Me: Mega Ducttape. :rimshot:

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 14, 2012

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Then during a game of Rifts:
Player: What is it with you and duct tape? Its been hundreds of years since its been invented. Hasn't there been something better invented yet.

You have spoken it, thus it has now been written in a worldbook.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Speaking of Battletech. There were two fairly young kids that were actually really interested in the Battletech game yesterday. So I was sitting there explaining to them how the game worked and answering question. It was really kind of adorably cute in that they were asking questions as to the manner in which my Warhammer blew up and why we were retreating. The one kid actually said,"Did it just leave the armor standing there when it blew up?"

Kids apparently fuckin love giant robots still. My friend's daughter was super into our Battletech game as well, asking about the same kinda stuff. We wound up digging out his historical markers for smoke and trenches and stuff so she could watch the battlefield get blown to poo poo around us and all.

Kids may be hard to raise, but one thing is always true, they fuckin love giant robots :3:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Earthworld in the 20th century has an adhesive strip called Duct or Duck tape. The tape was meant for only sealing thin air ducts but it was also found to be useful in both sensible and nonsensible repairs.

Ducttape is still in use and you can find them in secure locations. Why are they stored in off limit areas when all it is is an adhesive?

True, the duct tape of today has adhesives in chemical form which is much weaker than mega glue. The adhesive is not there for bonding; it is used for positioning.

When a mech comes in with a severed coolant line you are instructed to take some take the MDTape-1 (Mega Duct Tape, 1 inch) and wrap the line . Then alert a senior mechtech.

He will inspect your job and will fetch his Magneo setting device.

It is the size of a book and can pull a mega wrench out of someones hand from 5 feet away. This force is required to set the tape.

Thickly infused into the carbosteel wrap are nano-drivers each with a diamond tipped piston withdrawn into the mechanism. Like a pointer, this piston's normal shape is a a flat circular disk. You can try to feel for these drivers in these tapes (hopefully far away from any magenetic force) but it will feel like dust if it feels like anything.

The setting device has the required pull to snap the microcable in all the drivers which causes an very small explosion to happen for every driver. This explosion expands the piston which pierces into the rubber like it was not there. This piercing action is non reversible so in the end there are billions of needles sticking the pipe to the carbosteel wrap.

So now you understand why this tape is stored in secure locations.

Yes, we were losing too many newbie mech-techs to MDT hazing which caused them to quit. Someone pins a newbie down, a circle of MDT cut into the clan logo is applied to the skin, and then set.

Then there were times where a person was wrapped in tens of feets of MDT and set all at once.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
In our Pathfinder game last week, we had a pretty big brawl with a lot of advanced ogre barbarians. Things started out pretty scarily, but around halfway through when just about everybody in the fight had taken a fair amount of damage, it was the pacifist cleric's turn and we all looked at his player expectantly.

"I... cast calm emotions!"

All of the Ogres' barbarian rages end, which results in most of them falling dead as they were heavily-damaged and the rage was the only thing propping them up!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I hope someone said "good job, murderer. You killed them all with one spell!" because really, pacifist characters are only good for heckling in D&D.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Hermetic posted:

You have spoken it, thus it has now been written in a worldbook.
Honestly I was hedging my bets that it was actually in a worldbook. Rifts is the work of a madman and I absolutely adore it for that reason. Here are some more incidents from the Rifts game:
GM: You know this is like taking a Wizards spellbook.
Me: Ok then. Lets rip pages out of it. Maybe burn it. Make little doodles in it.
Other Player: Wait. When did this turn into Slayers?

quote:

Kids apparently fuckin love giant robots still. My friend's daughter was super into our Battletech game as well, asking about the same kinda stuff. We wound up digging out his historical markers for smoke and trenches and stuff so she could watch the battlefield get blown to poo poo around us and all.

Kids may be hard to raise, but one thing is always true, they fuckin love giant robots
Giant robots is how I became an engineer. :3: The disturbingly weird fact is that my first exposure to Battletech was in a Kinex construction set of a Madcat long before I knew it was based upon a war game. Such a great construction set because the legs articulated and everything.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 14, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This talk of pacifist characters reminds me of a healbot oracle I made for a campaign in Pathfinder once. Her abilities were entirely oriented towards healing and area-of-effect spells that I reskinned as her losing the fragile control she had over a curse that made her a walking disaster area. Basically whatever being had meddled in her life probably had a terrible sense of humor. Sadly the campaign died young. And then I fell out of love with Pathfinder. Guess I'll never get to flesh out that archetype :shobon:

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Kids may be hard to raise, but one thing is always true, they fuckin love giant robots :3:

A fun thing to do, if you have small children who like giant robots, is to pretend you are a mechwarrior with them. Have them stand on top of your feet, facing out, and grab hands with your hands. Then they can pretend they are "driving" you around and you can make laser sounds with your mouth and stuff.

My dad used to do this with me and it was a blast.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Yawgmoth posted:

I hope someone said "good job, murderer. You killed them all with one spell!" because really, pacifist characters are only good for heckling in D&D.

Except for the 4E lazylord, of course!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Flavivirus posted:

Except for the 4E lazylord, of course!

That's not really a pacifist, though. That's more, "I want you dead, but I really don't feel like walking over there and tiring my sword arm out. Barbarian, rip his arms off for me, would you?"

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Well, you can very easily reskin a lot of the powers to you just cheering your friends on or warning them of enemies - so about as pacifist as a guy that hangs around a group of professional murderhobos can be.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Flavivirus posted:

Well, you can very easily reskin a lot of the powers to you just cheering your friends on or warning them of enemies - so about as pacifist as a guy that hangs around a group of professional murderhobos can be.
That is ignoring the fact that some of the best Warlord powers for a lazylord involves swinging a sword. Granted you aren't going to hit but it still isn't even close to being a pacifist.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
There's a pacifist cleric build one of my players is using. She's a healing and debuff machine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't think regularly doing something that could get you arrested as an accomplice to murder can count as pacifism.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Colon V posted:

I don't think regularly doing something that could get you arrested as an accomplice to murder can count as pacifism.

Dungeons and Coutrooms?

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

Flavivirus posted:

This came into my head as a Lazylord being played as a sports commentator.

That is ignoring the fact that some of the best Warlord powers for a lazylord involves swinging a sword. Granted you aren't going to hit but it still isn't even close to being a pacifist.

Or even a biased referee.

Combat as sport. You lose.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Colon V posted:

In all fairness your honor, that beholder was looking at us funny and was clearly trying to start something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr Nick posted:

Dungeons and Coutrooms?

"This proves that it was Procrastinatus's encounter power that provided the means for Arrg the barbarian's brutal murder of a kobold family!"

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"This proves that it was Procrastinatus's encounter power that provided the means for Arrg the barbarian's brutal murder of a kobold family!"

Courtrooms and Kobolds, then, for the alliteration. Sorta.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

Adelheid Stark posted:

Baillifs and Balors

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Adelheid Stark posted:

Crossbows and cross examination?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Needs lizardmen lawyers.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am just a simple troglodyte. Your world frightens and confuses me!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dr Nick posted:

Dungeons and Coutrooms?

Dungeons and :doink:

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

Really Pants posted:

poo poo I should of thought of that (I was looking for a way to fit that smiley in)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hallgerd posted:

This came into my head as a Lazylord being played as a sports commentator.

Or even a biased referee.

Combat as sport. You lose.

I'm just imagining the lazylord as the commentator from NBA Jam

*warrior kills goblin*

"When you get dunked on like that you really ought to consider retirement"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
He's on Fiiire! Let's hope he makes his save throw against ongoing damage folks.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Really Pants posted:

Take Aye, Dark Overlord, throw the whole thing together with Dungeons and Dragons, and then add in a splash of Phoenix Wright. Game of the Year 2013.

Edit: Son of a bitch. Now I'm sad that it doesn't exist. Someone make this a thing, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Bravo posted:

Take Aye, Dark Overlord, throw the whole thing together with Dungeons and Dragons, and then add in a splash of Phoenix Wright. Game of the Year 2013.

Edit: Son of a bitch. Now I'm sad that it doesn't exist. Someone make this a thing, please!

Bigby's Accusing Finger