Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Not true that's just an advisory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Vitamin J posted:

Not true that's just an advisory.

With the 1 watt limit won't the 50 MHz signal provide more range than the 72 or 75 MHz signal meter all things being equal? Would the 27 MHz provide even greater range?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Yeah maybe theoretically but you've got to remember this is hobby grade equipment and only designed to be used within a half mile or so. Sensitivity of the receivers and the antennas used aren't the greatest. What you're talking about would need a custom designed tx and rx.

ickna
May 19, 2004

I've been practicing a lot with my MSR X and can lift off nearly vertical now, despite its desire to shoot off left every time. Now I'm working on turning, which with this particular model means it'll slide back and right on left rudder and slide left and forward on right rudder. I've dialed in a good mix to help tame it a majority of it, but I still have to correct it manually depending on forward velocity. I can recover from about 50% of rudder maneuvering attempts as long as I have about 10 ft of airspace to drift around in.

I think my progress is being hampered by my disorientation when the helicopter comes about to nose-in and I apply the correction in the wrong direction momentarily and make the problem worse. I don't get disoriented when I fly my S107 inside because the yaw is so smooth and linear I don't have to think about correcting anything. I also don't fly the S107 at the same distances away as the MSR X. I'm not concerned about tweaking the behavior or mechanics of the helicopter itself; I want to improve my piloting skills to be able to cope with unique characteristics and flying rather than chasing with sticks, for any type of craft.

I've ordered an MCX2 to practice orientation at a distance with a more stable platform like the S107, and it will use the same transmitter as the MSR X so my muscle memory will transfer.

Do any of you more experienced pilots have any suggestions or training tips for this whole learning to fly process?

edit: wow, going back to 3 channels on the S107 is lame and slow as poo poo. I just took the MSR X out to an open field and having more space to make mistakes and correct them is awesome.

edit edit: don't put little lipos in your coin pocket. I lost one on the way to the park tonight. In related news, black & mild butts are about the same size as a 160mah 1S lipo, and there are a lot of them in this park :smith:

ickna fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 7, 2012

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Put in my order to hobbyking, it seemed that the payment never showed up on their side. I put in a support ticket and to be fair to them it was sorted with the minimum of fuss, but in the meantime some of the stuff has gone on backorder despite the fact I spent ages tailoring my order so none of it was out of stock. :emo:

Is there any good resources out there for mods and things for the Axn floater jet, for instance I'd love to make a set of floats to fly it off water.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Put in my order to hobbyking, it seemed that the payment never showed up on their side. I put in a support ticket and to be fair to them it was sorted with the minimum of fuss, but in the meantime some of the stuff has gone on backorder despite the fact I spent ages tailoring my order so none of it was out of stock. :emo:

Is there any good resources out there for mods and things for the Axn floater jet, for instance I'd love to make a set of floats to fly it off water.

To be honest, as long as you waterproof the bottom of the front (where your electronics sit) you should only need to put floats on the wingtips.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Went over to a friend's place in another state for the weekend, and after playing with his trainer, we went to the lhs and I picked up a mini super cub so we could get it in the air before dark. There's a perfect huge field right outside my neighborhood that is rarely used except for occasional practices.

Oh god what I gotten myself into, I've already read this thread a second time and am listing what I need for mods I've found on rcgroups.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
So I built a thing...

It flys pretty well I guess. I've never flown anything before so it's hard to compare.

kkboard hobby king knock off
Park300-1600 w/ 6x3 props
I tested the motors and they pull 450grams each at 8 amps with a 3S battery. Due to the large swept area being blocked by the low motor mounting, on the arms they only pull 380 each (15% loss). Frame weighs 90g. Total weight is around 500g (there's an extra arduino and shield that I'm testing stuff with). 2.5 lift/weight ratio. Hovers at ~65-70% throttle. Wiring is all internal.

It's been fun, but I'm going to change quite a few things. I've already reversed the shafts to increase efficiency. Probably going to switch the design to a quad until I can fly better (I'm doing ok I think). The weight is really high, aside from a conservative frame design I'm using 25amp escs because HK was out of the ones I wanted; now that I've tested everything I could get away with 12s. I haven't weighed my second frame but it's probably below 70g. I'll remeasure when I get my quad center made.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Bigger rotor blades will help. A lot. Like double the span. Goto to like a 12x2.. if they make them. You've got the space, you're just wasting swept area.

Even somehting like a 9x2 would make a huge diffrence. Nearly doubling your swept area.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
if he wants bigger props he'll need bigger motors and bigger ESCs. Those park300's are only rated for a max 9A and a 7x3.5 prop.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

CrazyLittle posted:

if he wants bigger props he'll need bigger motors and bigger ESCs. Those park300's are only rated for a max 9A and a 7x3.5 prop.

I'd hope he could go with a shallow enough pitch. But here's only so much available, eh?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nerobro posted:

I'd hope he could go with a shallow enough pitch. But here's only so much available, eh?

yeah, 9A isn't a lot but those motors make up for it with kV

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Nerobro posted:

Even with a really fine pitch you still would need a bigger motor.

Power required increases pretty linearly with pitch but increases with the Square of diameter.

Use this site to find a good power system. Idealy you should be able to hover at less than 50% power this greatly increases the efficiency.
http://ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Yeah, I got the 6x3s based off that calculator and confirmed them on my testing rig. I tested a few other spare props and 8A was the closest I got to the rated 9A (I tested some 10in props that gave me twice as much thrust but drew 18A :v:). The only reason it isn't hovering at exactly 50% is because it has a whole bunch of extra stuff on it.

Bushman
Feb 16, 2004
I should read SA more. I totally missed this thread.

Check this baby out.

Paint job isn't done here

Paintjob mostly done. Waiting on electronics.

New ground station, integrated with google earth. Diversity antenna setup. Circularly polarized for badass multipath rejection.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I love drones, that thing looks really slick. X8 right? Still using them to kill pigs?

ease fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 16, 2012

Bushman
Feb 16, 2004

ease posted:

I love drones, that thing looks really slick. X8 right? Still using them to kill pigs?

Yeah, crashed one of the skywalkers. The other one is flying like poo poo and refuses to trim right. I think it's bent.

New skywalker with 1.9meter wing is on the way. X8 is mostly complete, but the camera mount takes forever since our thermal camera is so drat big.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Dude, the X8 is sick, you're gonna love it. A local (Daemon) has one and it just floats around with barely any power. He was slope soaring it at our last meet at about 9000ft ASL. Someone else had the new Skywalker 1900 with the wood wings which was pretty cool, but it was still outperformed by the X8 with a smaller battery.

The next thing on my list is Google tracking on my Android, but I'm using Skylark gear right now and they're pretty sketchy. They've been saying for months the tracking app "will be out soon."

I just maidened my new plane yesterday. It's a Popwing/Tek Sumo with a 10" blunt section my buddy cut for me. Makes it 46" wingspan and 1200 grams with 2x 2200mah 3S. This is also my first plane on 1.3ghz.

I took it out past 2 miles on the maiden and did a flyover of Red Rocks Amphitheater and Bandimere Speedway. I want to fly over Bandimere Speedway later this summer at night when the jet-dragsters are in town. I will need to invest in a GoPro for that for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMD5zK_2z8s

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Oh yeah I forgot to post about my other new plane, a Dynam P-51. Going for a racer style plane, need to repaint it with more yellow so it goes faster :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3UfZM9RZlg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/vitaminjsa/IMAG0144.jpg

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 4, 2012

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
First parts for my QR build came in today :

Turnigy Talon V2 frame

And not mounted yet, I have 4 NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv motors.

Need to order ESCs and decide on a controller board. Right now I'm stuck between waiting for the cc3d or just going multiwii.

Anyone know a good place to buy wire by the spool online? Local autoshop only has very stiff auto wire. I want something much more flexible for battery/esc leads and what not.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I tend to buy my wire from hobbyking. They have a nice flexible silicone coated wire and it is reasonably cheap.

Next time I do a multirotor I am buying motors with long leads from the factory and milling a power distribution board into the frame.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Here's a similar wire from McMaster-Carr, 16 AWG, silicone insulator:

code:
AWG	OD	Amps	VAC 	Color	Available Lengths, ft. 	 			10-499	500-Up
16	0.155"	22	600	Black	10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500	7479K221	1.19	.90
16	0.155"	22	600	White	10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500	7479K222	1.19	.90

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

helno, check out the new TBS Discovery for ideas. They have power distribution built in as well as an optional FPV system power supply and OSD.
http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/10613-tbs-discovery-beta-build-logreview/

I put a new camera (Sony 600TVL) on my new wing and really wrung her out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyMMYChA2Ns

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
I've always wanted an RC plane, and after seeing some cool FPV stuff combined with a salary that actually lets me buy hobby stuff, I'm tempted to start buying RC plane equipment. Probably a basic foam glider (which I'd like to upgrade to FPV eventually)

However, I have two concerns: I live on the peninsula in Charleston, SC. There are three airports that surround the peninsula, although the closest is 16 miles away. Will this be a problem? I've sporadically read to stay under 400' and 3 miles away from an airport, otherwise I should be fine.

Second, there aren't a lot of open fields around here. A few open parks, but not much else unless you get out of the city...towards the airports. How big of an area do you need to fly in?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

You should be fine as far as the airports are concerned. Yes 400' within 3 miles is the FAA advisory, it's not actually a law but it is drat good advice to follow. You need to check local rules and laws before you fly though, the FAA doesn't restrict it but your local parks commission sure as hell can.

Secondly a good size park will be ok to fly in, maybe an acre or so minimum. When you start to FPV you will notice you have much more freedom and the launch site isn't as critical because you're no longer limited by your eyesight and can fly further and higher.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Awesome, good to know. Will the amount of houses/trees in the near vicinity affect FPV due to interference? Will I have to keep the plane in line of sight at all times (even if the plane is pretty far away)?

Basically, I'd hate to lose my plane because it passes over the tree line LoS and interference goes through the roof.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Houses will cause interference depending on what frequency you run the video on.

Don't be that guy who sets up an FPV plane and then proceeds to learn to fly over top of populated areas.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

polyfractal posted:

Awesome, good to know. Will the amount of houses/trees in the near vicinity affect FPV due to interference? Will I have to keep the plane in line of sight at all times (even if the plane is pretty far away)?

Basically, I'd hate to lose my plane because it passes over the tree line LoS and interference goes through the roof.
You need to do some more reading. Some video systems can transmit miles through houses, trees, and cars while some can't even transmit through a single tree. Depends on frequency, antennas used, noise floor, humidity, etc etc.

There is a good quote I read on another forum: "FPV is self-regulating." Each individual has to learn, build, and test their rig themselves. If you start small and grow progressively you'll do much better. Right now your goal should be to fly a plane LOS successfully.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Vitamin J posted:

You need to do some more reading. Some video systems can transmit miles through houses, trees, and cars while some can't even transmit through a single tree. Depends on frequency, antennas used, noise floor, humidity, etc etc.

There is a good quote I read on another forum: "FPV is self-regulating." Each individual has to learn, build, and test their rig themselves. If you start small and grow progressively you'll do much better. Right now your goal should be to fly a plane LOS successfully.

Will do. :)

I was curious because I don't want to get into flying if I'll be limited to LOS flying only (due to where I live). I have every intention of flying LOS only for as long as it takes. I've read many places about people who jump into FPV too fast and then nosedive their expensive equipment into the ground.

I like that quote, and it jives nicely with what I've found so far from my (limited) reading. Lots of helpful people and information, but I haven't found a single "this is what you need to do" step-by-step guide. Probably a good thing, since it forces people to understand what they are doing rather than painting by the numbers.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Is there anyone trying to make 4in1 ESCs yet for quad rotors, or would that just get too hot?

edit: Now that I think about, its kind of stupid. Get one motor stuck and you burn out the whole thing. Unless they make them with modular parts.

ease fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 23, 2012

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

It's just a tricky hobby. I could box up my plane I just flew 2 miles with and send everything to you and you may only be able to fly 1000ft just because you could be in a heavy rf area with lots of interference.

Lots of new guys get obsessed about range and either confuse themselves or end up wasting money because they have this unrealistic goal stuck in their brains. The range comes naturally; you're going to turn around when the video gets bad or you're going to crash. The more you learn the better set-up your plane will be and you'll be able to take it out further with more experience.

Those first few flights you're going to be making GBS threads yourself with a combination of fear and excitement and range will be the last thing on your mind.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ease posted:

Is there anyone trying to make 4in1 ESCs yet for quad rotors, or would that just get too hot?

I'm considering making one over the summer, actually. The designs are pretty straightforward, and the open source firmware exists, I just need to rewrite it slightly.

It will be more expensive than anything from China, obviously--the FETs, voltage regulators, and passive components will be "name brand", so they will be somewhat more reliable (which primarily means that a lot less will be dead on arrival, or fail soon after). The main cost increase, though will probably be for the PCBs themselves--they get expensive at low quantities, especially since I think I'll have to use thicker copper than is standard (but I haven't done the math yet).

If I do get around to making some, I'll probably have some for sale. What sort of current range might you be looking for?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Thats pretty cool, are you going to have the boards printed?

I'm looking at 25a right now.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ease posted:

Thats pretty cool, are you going to have the boards printed?

I'm looking at 25a right now.

25A is just around what I've currently been buying, so that should be good (although I might spec out components for up to 30A).

And yeah, I'll be laying out + ordering the PCBs (since doing it myself is a waste of effort). I'll probably start with an initial test order of 3, then order 10-15 more for an initial run, a handful of which will be reserved for stress testing + design verification.

And I just realized that, design-wise, it's pretty much trivial to throw on a current-sense amplifier, a shunt resistor, and a few more passives, as well as a divider for measuring battery voltage. I could use something like:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9028
but the amplifier they use isn't particularly new, nor cheap. I mean, I designed + built a current monitor + coulomb counter for doing high discharge tests for batteries used in an electric car, but that had to handle a fair bit more power...I can probably add the equivalent of an attopilot, but it might add up to $5 to the price, so I'm not 100% sure it's worthwhile...

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Vitamin J posted:

Those first few flights you're going to be making GBS threads yourself with a combination of fear and excitement and range will be the last thing on your mind.

Hehe..this sounds awesome. :)

I think I'm going to get a Floater-jet, Bixler or Sky Surfer, depending on what I can find in stock first. They all appear basically identical and good starter planes (that can take a beating for when I inevitably smash them into the ground).

Tangentially related, but holy hell is HobbyKing's website a steaming pile of poo poo. Not only is it slow and bloated with obnoxious upsell-ads everywhere, they make you jump through hoops to find products and most of them are out of stock. :argh:

I'm tempted to build a non-lovely interface to HobbyKing myself.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Compared to other online hobby shops, they are slightly better than most :(
At least the in-stock items are listed first.
But yeah, the amount of bloat is pretty insane.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I used Value Hobby when building my cub project :

http://www.valuehobby.com/index.php

They are decent. Based out of Illinois. Have all Chinese stuff in stock and near hobby king prices and 3.99 shipping.

Not the best place to look for planes though.

ease fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 26, 2012

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So, I got a couple of the new SK450 quad frames from Hobbyking last week, and finally got around to assembling them. Despite being a clone of the DJI F450, they are still pretty nice...and cheap! Despite the lack of integrating a power distribution PCB into the center frame, I like that the motor mounts are somewhat nicer, as well as the removable feet.

However, I've run into a bit of a problem. I got a set of NTM Prop Drive 28-26 motors, along with the matching accessories. The prop mounts attach directly to the top of the rotor, which I kinda like, since most of my annoying repairs so far have been bent motor shafts. However, the motor shafts stick out of the bottom for some weird reason (mount props on the bottom using collet adapters, I guess?), which is a problem since part of the legs/feet are right in the way (yeah, yeah, this wouldn't have been an issue if I had been using a real F450, due to different design). The shaft isn't reversible, switching that around wouldn't help.

I figure I have 3 choices:

1. Drill a hole in the leg strut to allow room for the shaft. I'd rather not have to do this, since I don't have the proper vice to hold the leg upright underneath my drill press.

2. Cut the interfering strut off completely. The plastic of the entire leg is pretty thick, and the smaller strut at the bottom should keep it from splaying out on a hard landing.

3. Shorten the motor shaft. This seems like the cleanest solution, despite needing to isolate the motor from dust (or I could take off the weird c/e clip, remove the rotor + shaft, and cut it then). I'm somewhat concerned about heating the shaft too much and loving up the heat treatment, though.

Ideas? I got two frames (since they are so cheap, and HK has no spare parts), and a bunch of extra shafts (but I really don't like installing new ones in my press, for some reason).

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

If you have a hand power drill, couldn't you just shove the leg into a vice and just drill a hole for the shaft that way? I just don't see the need to use a drill press since accuracy isn't hugely critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Well, it would have been an issue, since I would need to drill straight down , or else I'd have to use a bigger drill bit to give more clearance, bringing me closer to drilling out the sides of the strut.

In the end, though, I just cut off the struts with a dremel. Worked well.

Anyway, I flew it today with 1000kV motors and 10x4.5" props. Pretty powerful, although the ESC's don't actually move the motors until like 25% throttle, or so. I set the range multiple times via the kk multicontroller, but whatever. I hovers @ 50% with a 2200mAh battery, which is higher than I thought. Maybe the throttle range is just off, because I expected it to hover at ~30%.

As expected, though, I managed to crash it spectactuarly (there was some problem either with my tx/rx, or with the controller itself, since I suddenly lost control for a couple seconds, and only got it back after it was too late). However, those neat little fiberglass motor mounts on the SK450 worked well--I broke 2 of them in the crash, along with two of my cheap GemFan props, but none of the motors seem to be damaged (or at least it's limited to minor bearing wear or something).