Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

You'd be amazed at the disparity in how viciously the rich fight child support compared to the poor and middle class.

I would assume that is because they can afford to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

entris posted:

No one has ever asked about my journal experience except when they were clearly running out of things to ask. I have gotten a lot more questions about my interest in martial arts and/or japanese haiku.

Weren't you on GJLE? Everyone on GJLE publishes a note as a 2L, which is helpful for the resume.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I was on a secondary journal and 2L it is a ton of work because we had to write something each semester. 3L is not bad at all unless you want to be on the executive board.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Couldn't disagree more with some of the recent SA advice. Never, ever say no. Someone is waiting if you say no. That person will be hired. Will you? Maybe. But maybe not.

I know smart, successful people disagree, but I stand behind this advice.

mutism
Feb 17, 2011
Agree with FS. If you aren't taking it, someone else is.

You've only got so long in law school to put yourself in the best place for the rest of your career. Don't let it drift by.

PS: don't forget university is a pretty good time as well, though

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

nm posted:

I would assume that is because they can afford to

That's what I would have thought too, but this happens regardless of whether they hire an attorney or not.

Also, the openbook link popped up one of our custodial parents. At least she wasn't complaining.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Draile posted:

Weren't you on GJLE? Everyone on GJLE publishes a note as a 2L, which is helpful for the resume.

Yeah, pretty much every interview I've had, I've gotten asked about my GJLE note. It's not a bad thing to have on the resume and to talk about because while *you* know everyone gets published, that's not really common knowledge outside of GULC.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Feces Starship posted:

Couldn't disagree more with some of the recent SA advice. Never, ever say no. Someone is waiting if you say no. That person will be hired. Will you? Maybe. But maybe not.

The guy who overburdens himself and misses a deadline gets fired. The guy who bills fewer hours that are written off anyway gets hired. This isn't about slacking for its own sake, it's about not making big mistakes that will get you noticed in a bad way. As a summer associate, you are not going to do anything that someone will say "Oh, that Feces Starship, he did a great job finding that critical case." But, depending on what you gently caress up, someone might say "loving Feces Starship, he said he'd send changes to the client on Friday, and he didn't." You want to avoid that at all costs, and that's why we're suggesting you not take on too much work.

Besides, the idea that someone is watching how earnest you are and how many hours you bill is completely wrong and misunderstands how firms operate and how they hire. You're not being judged on how many assignments you take on. You're being judged on doing a good job / not loving up, and on people liking you. Taking on every bullshit research assignment some 2nd year associate can give out isn't going to make anyone think any more of you.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Why can't I find a relatively recent Australian law journal article relating to same sex marriage/civil unions what is wrong with me there must be hundred of them oh god I am doing it wrong this is terrifying my assignment is due tonight I'm a terrible student.

E: nm should've used AGIS Plus Text from the beginning :downs:

Sharks Below fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 15, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Draile posted:

I was on the gender and law journal - I was one of two straight dudes, the rest of the journal staff was women and gay dudes. My required note, which is now on Lexis (and which has been cited! ha!) ((by people disagreeing with my note and basically calling me an idiot :sad:)), focused on the intersection of LGBT folks and certain family law issues. It's a terribly written note on a semi-controversial topic that will haunt me if I try to get into politics. I took it off my resume as soon as I could, but I never got asked about it anyway.

So that's another thing: if you are going to write a note that gets published on Westlaw or Nexus, make drat sure you can live with the note attached to you forever. If you write on a controversial topic, or if you take a radical position, that will be attached to you forever.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Feces Starship posted:

As Ani pointed out, the prior advice is targeted to summer associates. For normal associates, I agree with you. You take on work when it's handed to you, and you work more hours to get stuff pushed through (if you have to). For one thing, you don't know if you will have the same amount of work next month, so you need to get billables in the bank whenever you can. For another, you want to be a person who is always accessible and responsive.

In my opinion, the only time that it is acceptable to turn down work is when you have a series of time-sensitive projects that will take precedence over the offered work, and the offered work is also time-sensitive. Then you say to the partner/senior associate "I can take it, but I have X/Y/Z on my plate that have to be done by [Tomorrow/End of Week/etc] so I won't be able to get to your project until [the future]." If you use this line sparingly, then people will respect the boundary. If you constantly use this line, people will wonder about your time management skills.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ani posted:

The guy who overburdens himself and misses a deadline gets fired. The guy who bills fewer hours that are written off anyway gets hired. This isn't about slacking for its own sake, it's about not making big mistakes that will get you noticed in a bad way. As a summer associate, you are not going to do anything that someone will say "Oh, that Feces Starship, he did a great job finding that critical case." But, depending on what you gently caress up, someone might say "loving Feces Starship, he said he'd send changes to the client on Friday, and he didn't." You want to avoid that at all costs, and that's why we're suggesting you not take on too much work.

Also there's a difference between not refusing work and seeking more out. If the partner calls and says he needs something done and love you so much he wants you to do it, it's probably a good idea to do it. But don't actively seek out work to make yourself busy all the time: don't think you're going to impress people by doing twice the work of the next guy. If you try that, you're risking getting yourself in a crunch where you turn in something sub-par, and theres no real upside.

purpleandgold
Apr 13, 2012
I'm considering law school for energy/natural resources law- I have an undergraduate degree in geology, and would really rather be on the legal end of energy than the production end. Any advice for applying/looking at schools? Is it even worth it?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

purpleandgold posted:

I'm considering law school for energy/natural resources law- I have an undergraduate degree in geology, and would really rather be on the legal end of energy than the production end. Any advice for applying/looking at schools? Is it even worth it?

There seems to be a lot of work right now in oil and gas in North Dakota. Can you handle living in North Dakota?

purpleandgold
Apr 13, 2012
Possibly. I'd rather be in Oklahoma or Texas, but stable employment can make me overlook a lot of things...

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

evilweasel posted:

Also there's a difference between not refusing work and seeking more out. If the partner calls and says he needs something done and love you so much he wants you to do it, it's probably a good idea to do it. But don't actively seek out work to make yourself busy all the time: don't think you're going to impress people by doing twice the work of the next guy. If you try that, you're risking getting yourself in a crunch where you turn in something sub-par, and theres no real upside.

This is the right answer. We have non-offered summer associates because they said no to work too often.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

purpleandgold posted:

Possibly. I'd rather be in Oklahoma or Texas, but stable employment can make me overlook a lot of things...

Excepting the weather, I'd take Fargo over anywhere in those states except austin. Fargo's a nice small city.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

purpleandgold posted:

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42635

Go to whatever school and get whatever grades that will get you into one of these law firms.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks for the SA advice.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

yadayadayada posted:

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42635

Go to whatever school and get whatever grades that will get you into one of these law firms.

Oh look, Dewey is in Band 1 for a lot of those areas. I wonder what law school / gpa combo will get him in there...

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The summer associates at my firm are apparently the most boring people on the planet. Here are their personal interests, as listed on their bios:

quote:

Movies, parks, wine, baseball (Pirates Fan)

quote:

Reading, football, golf

quote:

Reading, sailing, sports, travel

quote:

Reading, sports, movies

quote:

Running, road races, traveling, spending time with friends and family

Movies? Reading? Running? Sports? Spending time with friends and family???

WTF do career services people no longer warn people about putting such vague and stupid poo poo on their resumes??

here is a tip, law students: if you like reading a particular genre of book, and it's an interesting icebreaker, list that. Otherwise, don't put "reading" as an interest because it makes you look incredibly stupid. Same goes for "travel" - if you have a real connection with a particular part of the world, that you regularly visit and/or read about, list that (maybe), but never put down that you "like to travel" because that doesn't tell anyone anything about you.

You should never, ever put "movies" as an interest because that is one of the most meaningless interests to have. Everyone likes movies. If you have a hard-on for film noir from the 1940s through 1950s, list that. If you like a similarly well-defined and unusual genre of movies, list it.

I think listing "sports", "football", and "baseball" is similarly retarded. Those three things are so mainstream that they do not convey anything meaningful. Sailing and golf are, I suppose, more interesting - but I probably wouldn't mention golf.

ugh kids these days

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

entris posted:

ugh kids these days
Sup I'm SAing at your firm. I will try to be more bland in person.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Wanna hang out with road racing dude (if that means cars, not something else) and maybe sailing guy (esp if rich).

Who puts interests sections on resumes? I probably should have (auto racing and bicycled across america) but that seemed dumb.

We have a former NFL player applying for an unpaid clerkship. He didn't need to put "interest: Football" on his resume. Just put [Nfl team] in his work history.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

entris posted:

WTF do career services people no longer warn people about putting such vague and stupid poo poo on their resumes??

here is a tip, law students: if you like reading a particular genre of book, and it's an interesting icebreaker, list that. Otherwise, don't put "reading" as an interest because it makes you look incredibly stupid. Same goes for "travel" - if you have a real connection with a particular part of the world, that you regularly visit and/or read about, list that (maybe), but never put down that you "like to travel" because that doesn't tell anyone anything about you.

You should never, ever put "movies" as an interest because that is one of the most meaningless interests to have. Everyone likes movies. If you have a hard-on for film noir from the 1940s through 1950s, list that. If you like a similarly well-defined and unusual genre of movies, list it.

I think listing "sports", "football", and "baseball" is similarly retarded. Those three things are so mainstream that they do not convey anything meaningful. Sailing and golf are, I suppose, more interesting - but I probably wouldn't mention golf.

Seriously.

I've been on the other side of the table in my own job (it's much of my job, actually). One of the things I've learned is to be yourself and be specific about it. You run the risk of turning people off but if you turn them off with yourself than you are going to have to be someone else if you work there and that's usually not worth it. Additionally, if you are yourself and specific to yourself then you are going to hook more people than if you're just another bland offensiveless resume in a sea of bland offensiveless resumes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

entris posted:

The summer associates at my firm are apparently the most boring people on the planet. Here are their personal interests, as listed on their bios:

ugh kids these days

How do I put "I play a shitton of rugby" on my resume and make it stand out?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Instead of reading, sports and travel just be honest and put "Beer, titties, chicken wings" on your resume as interests instead.

Especially if you graduate law school and have to apply to be a cook at hooter's.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

evilweasel posted:

Yeah - in retrospect what I wrote makes it sound like you should be turning down work from partners, which I agree you shouldn't. What I was trying to caution against was trying too hard to fill up your schedule - I saw summer associates be so scared of having even an hour of free time that they got themselves staffed on 10+ projects, and then when a few of those got busy, they had to either miss deadlines or work all night.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
I write "long distance running." I also list the specific kind of coaching, etc I've done under the sports I play, as well as particular mountains I've climbed. I know that last one seems weird, but it has been a surprising conversation starter just because people often try to climb ALL THE THINGS in ADK - at least in the upstate NY area.

Running pretty much consumes the majority of my free time these days and I've no idea how else to elaborate outside of adding "I WORK OUT SO MUCH."

EDIT: What's wrong with golf, out of curiosity? I played competitively, was an instructor, worked in golf retail, and still play casually so it's on my resume...

Solid Lizzie fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 16, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Solid Lizzie posted:

EDIT: What's wrong with golf, out of curiosity? I played competitively, was an instructor, worked in golf retail, and still play casually so it's on my resume...

Do you include your handicap?

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Do you include your handicap?
No.

EDIT: gently caress it. I'm just gonna run an ultramarathon between now and August or something epic and put that on there. It's just weird that it's considered not much of a conversation starter since I almost always can peg another runner and have an enjoyable conversation, easily. Same with golf.

Solid Lizzie fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 16, 2012

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I think putting things like golf and other sports are fine, it's the ones like 'reading' that would make me roll my eyes.

Oh really, you're a lawyer, and you read things.

I'd also lump 'running' or 'going to the gym' into that, unless you can put 'marathon running' or 'started my own gym', something that can actually start a conversation.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

"Zulu Warrior"

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Necromancy.

I'm putting necromancy.

I typically run half marathon distances and more but it seems like lying if I put that down since I do it independently. Hence, "long distance."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

"Missing 2/3 of an ear."

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

"Interested in: men."

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

nm posted:

"Missing 2/3 of an ear."

Suffering from cauliflower ear

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Is it even possible to get a decent gig after 3L ends but before admission to a bar?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

Is it even possible to get a decent gig after 3L ends but before admission to a bar?

Yes, as long as you took NY and admission takes months after you know you passed.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Depends on your definition of decent....

Document review is what most of my class did for the 6 months. It pays OK, but has no other redeeming qualities other than it exists and it pays.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
This interest thing has me curious. If you were a legitimate professional and have six figure wins, are you allowed to put "poker" on there? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Homebrewing is a good one to list, people seem interested in it.